Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: Do you think that jumping makes you taller?
Yes 13 15.12%
No 73 84.88%
Who voted? Voters: 86
You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(Posted as z3phyrCloud)
Donated $4.64
(25-Mar-2006 at 12:10)

My dad's uncle said something about skipping with a skipping/jump rope makes you taller. But we're asian, so there you go..
View Public Profile Find more posts by CloudHeartsMeli Add CloudHeartsMeli to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $2.08
(25-Mar-2006 at 12:30)

What's the average height for Asians?

I'm 1.8m
View Public Profile Find more posts by DiamondSpear Add DiamondSpear to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Mar-2006 at 17:35)

lightbulb Indeed

Jumping,if done freq. can increase your hight.People who play basketball or voley are slightly taller than other. Also sports that req. jumping can be benefilcial to ppl who dont have a straight spine and can even prevent or heal Ciphosis and Scoliosis.However not everyone agreas with that.Some say that this jumping is insignificant to hight or is just a external factor that will make the body adapt and become taller.I should know.I have a ill spine and still am 1.87m.However Jumping can have the biggest effect in puberty when some grow even 1cm/month.I grew 10cm in 6 months.

Thats preety much it...

We Drank as much as we would
And I drank more than I should

sherban.741.com
View Public Profile Find more posts by sherban Add sherban to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Mar-2006 at 17:39)

lightbulb I forogt

Oh,and another interesting thing.

While you sleep,tall people can add even 5 cm becausethe spine relaxes but when you get out of bed you will begin to shrink.

THats why the best time of day o meaasure yourself is at Dawn,after a long sleep.

sherban.741.com
View Public Profile Find more posts by sherban Add sherban to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Mar-2006 at 22:15)

okay, the answer is yes and no. Yes i have asian parents too and my mom always thought jumping would make a person taller (even to the point of signing me up for basketball becuase i would be doing more jumping).

consider what you are doing when you are jumping, you are expending energy, exercising. Exercise and physical activity helps you to grow. THIS is where the answer is "yes". Jumping is physical exercise, which can help you grow.

however it is unfair to say that jumping will improve your growth vs any other physical activity.

Therefore jumping does make you grow taller (if ur in puberty or a little kid etc) but only becuase it is a form of physical activity. Theoretically you should get the same benefits doing something like swimming, running or doing any sport etc.

i think
View Public Profile Visit Vidaria's homepage Find more posts by Vidaria Add Vidaria to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
Donated $12.00
(25-Mar-2006 at 23:06)

Ugh- get a grip!

Originally Posted by sherban:
However Jumping can have the biggest effect in puberty when some grow even 1cm/month.
Originally Posted by Worstoe:
Well, when we were kids, the ppl that joined the basketball team where pretty average sized, most of them shorter than me. But now, all of them are above average tall, so you tell me thats just coincidence!
Strangely enough, most creatures grow a lot more during puberty than at other times, whether they jump or not. Now how old were those people when they first joined the team? I doubt that basketball alone is having any statistically significant effect compared to the average teenage growth spurt.
Originally Posted by sherban:
While you sleep,tall people can add even 5 cm becausethe spine relaxes but when you get out of bed you will begin to shrink.
I am 6'5" and the effect I experience is nearer to 0.5 cm - are you sure of your facts here? A friend of the same height as me gets about the same difference, I think.

Computer idle all the time? Want to help with medical research?
Join the UT Folding@Home team
(our stats) (text-only client)

View Public Profile Visit rexregum's homepage Find more posts by rexregum Add rexregum to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Mar-2006 at 23:51)

meh, absolute nonsense. I'm about 6"6 and I haven't exactly done a lot of jumping in my puberty. Food and genes have got far much more to do with it if you ask me.

"Why are you here?"
"Same reason. I love candy."

- The Matrix Reloaded

*Leaves trail of sweets*
View Public Profile Find more posts by The Candyman Add The Candyman to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Mar-2006 at 04:18)

Re: Ugh- get a grip!

Originally Posted by rexregum:
I am 6'5" and the effect I experience is nearer to 0.5 cm - are you sure of your facts here? A friend of the same height as me gets about the same difference, I think.
I might haveexagerated but for me,its bout 2cm.But then again I hunch and I stand 5 cm smaller than my ctual hight

sherban.741.com
Global Moderator
Donated $41.00
(03-Apr-2006 at 20:26)

lightbulb

Na, I think I remember hearing it made you shorter because your spine compresses when you land because of the impact and likewise your taller when you wake up because your spine and muscles have had time to relax and stretch.

BUD LIGHT
145847903/Davevalek/Insanity
I am one of a kind, the only one you'll find. I am me and nothing else...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Valek Add Valek to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Old PCN
(03-Apr-2006 at 20:44)
I agree with Lord Pugh et al in that jumping will make you smaller when you land.

However, while you are at the top of your jump, you are further away from the centre of gravity of the earth, therefore there will be less gravity affecting you and you must be a bit taller. On the way down, you are in free fall, and gravity while acting on all your body is not compressing it. Therefore you must grow slightly then as well.

So during the jump you must grow ever so slightly, then shrink on the compession on the landing.

Plus, has anyone considered the psychological effects of jumping. If someone is higher by jumping, will that make them think that they are taller?
The mind is a powerfull tool.

If someone landed the jump horizontally, apart from being painfull, would the compression make them a bit taller?
View Public Profile Find more posts by PCN Add PCN to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Apr-2006 at 00:10)
I agree...
its all about ur landing skills
and how u measure ofcourse...

if u jump from an hight of lets say 200 meters
if u land on ur head, I'm sure ur alot shorter...
if u do a belly flop, I guarantee ur alot taller and thinner...

anyhow in eighter case I wouldnt recomend it...

as for the chinese:
arnt they small people in general?
if they know jumping makes u taller,
and they r relatively small,
they would relatively jump more often...
and thus be bigger...
View Public Profile Find more posts by h7IA3 Add h7IA3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Stygma SsM)
Donated $5.00
(04-Apr-2006 at 23:39)
No, jumping does not make you taller. People don't get taller because they play basketball, they play basketball because they are tall. I know plenty of short people who jump alot (like a skateboarder I know)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Stygma Add Stygma to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Seoul KoS)
(05-Apr-2006 at 00:28)

I was 182cm six months ago (and I'm an ex-Volleyballer), I measured yesterday afternoon and I'm only 176

Darkness is like a plague... Once it comes it stays...
| Born for Honour, die for Justice. Diplomat of HaJ. | Head of HaJ Public Relations. |

Last edited by Seoul KoS, 05-Apr-2006 at 00:28.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Seoul HaJ Add Seoul HaJ to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as matinog)
(05-Apr-2006 at 01:50)

actually its kinda weird but me and my brother used to be the same height, the he began playing tennis and i began playng basketball. currently im 6'3 and hes 5'11. so it may make the body subconciosly grow taller since you need it when playng basketball. or probably its all coinsidence.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mandraque Add Mandraque to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Apr-2006 at 07:06)

me and my brother were the same height and he started doing track and field and I played soccer all my life, he grew taller then me. All he does is throw stuff while I jump for the ball consantly (i play goalie). I don't think it makes a difference
View Public Profile Find more posts by nickolai Add nickolai to your Buddy List Reply with Quote