Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: Best Age of Empires 2 Civ?
Tuetons 9 20.45%
Byzantines (sp?) 7 15.91%
Britons 12 27.27%
Persians 3 6.82%
Vikings 6 13.64%
Japanese/Chinese (both about the same) 7 15.91%
Who voted? Voters: 44
You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(25-Dec-2004 at 19:01)

Best Age of Empires 2 Civilization?

Ok.. This is slightly specific to people who play.

Im only going to put up the top races... not Goths or anything.

No Conquerors Civs were put here.

Fatigue is an emotion, emotions can be turned off, so get your walk on or fall behind and be slaughtered like a pig!
--Voted most likely to be BA in disguise--
Head Honcho of TwS
View Public Profile Find more posts by phrdamasta Add phrdamasta to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $0.60
(25-Dec-2004 at 19:25)

I like Byzantines due their building bonus and cataphract though Britons and their longbow men come close 2nd

Generalization is rhetorics of simpletons.
"Sages learn from history... idiots learn from experience" -Fairy Tail manga
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Menchalior Add Lord Menchalior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Dec-2004 at 19:38)
i havent played in a while, so i cant really remember the specifics exactly, but teutons are very powerful if played properly.

the teutonic knights are simply awesome in that the 10/2 armor absorbs nearly all physical and ~30% ranged damage. sure, theyre slow but thats not really a huge issue. send in 50 of those babies against any army and you can just sit back and enjoy. you just need to keep a small groups of cavaliers/paladins (forgot which one they get) handy to take care of any siege weapons. keep a trebuchet or two in the background bombing away towers & castles are youre set. the tower bonuses are awesome in that they provide excellent defense without having to sacrifice actual units for that.

the thing is, though, that this only applies to deathmatches where the way you get your army isnt that important. ive only played aoe 1 in enough depth to be able to discuss how to play scenarios/random maps with limited resoures. i guess the chinese tech cost and villager bonuses are pretty useful in aoe 2. especially at higher levels of difficulty the extra villagers are incredibly useful.

Last edited by Simkin, 25-Dec-2004 at 19:40.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Simkin Add Simkin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Dec-2004 at 19:39)

Byzantines are the best IMHO. Altough I always played Japanese 'cause of the Samurai
View Public Profile Find more posts by Ian Out Add Ian Out to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Dec-2004 at 19:50)

Including expansion technologies?

With those techs, goths can train their special unit in a barrack in just a few secs, and they're like IMMUNE to arrows ^^
View Public Profile Find more posts by Tobleronex Add Tobleronex to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as aezrael RoU)
Donated $2.64
(25-Dec-2004 at 21:46)

I think that the Vikings are the best. They have the longboat and berserkers. I've yet to lose while playing a viking society.

Theamountoflovesomeonefeelsforyouisinverselyproportionaltohowmuchyoulovethem.
http://not-so-sane.blogspot.com/

Got Smurfs?
View Public Profile Find more posts by kataomoi Add kataomoi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as cryptica)
Donated $5.14
(25-Dec-2004 at 22:00)

I just bought this game! That's great. I like it so far, though I'm bummed at the scenario editor. It's not as fun as I hoped. I enjoy the Japanese, mostly because I think their culture is great, but as a game civ their only so-so. So far my fav is the Britons with their Longbowmen. Damn, tbey've got some mad range!

Due to recent complications with mods arguing about my forum title *cough*valek*cough*, its validity will be decided pending further investigation.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Cryptical Logic Add Cryptical Logic to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Dec-2004 at 00:26)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Simkin)

i havent played in a while, so i cant really remember the specifics exactly, but teutons are very powerful if played properly.

the teutonic knights are simply awesome in that the 10/2 armor absorbs nearly all physical and ~30% ranged damage. sure, theyre slow but thats not really a huge issue. send in 50 of those babies against any army and you can just sit back and enjoy. you just need to keep a small groups of cavaliers/paladins (forgot which one they get) handy to take care of any siege weapons. keep a trebuchet or two in the background bombing away towers & castles are youre set. the tower bonuses are awesome in that they provide excellent defense without having to sacrifice actual units for that.

the thing is, though, that this only applies to deathmatches where the way you get your army isnt that important. ive only played aoe 1 in enough depth to be able to discuss how to play scenarios/random maps with limited resoures. i guess the chinese tech cost and villager bonuses are pretty useful in aoe 2. especially at higher levels of difficulty the extra villagers are incredibly useful.
About the DM thing. Well, a really good player can get resources easily. The great thing about teutonic Knights is, they're cheap and build fast. Also Tuetons get almost all buildings and tech (paladins). Although they get Pals i'd keep Cavs with them

Fatigue is an emotion, emotions can be turned off, so get your walk on or fall behind and be slaughtered like a pig!
--Voted most likely to be BA in disguise--
Head Honcho of TwS
View Public Profile Find more posts by phrdamasta Add phrdamasta to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Dec-2004 at 01:40)
I voted teutons even thoughs Goths devour pretty much anyone they face in an instant..

Hi.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Gibbys Add Gibbys to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Dec-2004 at 09:25)

Teutons or Persians... I once played 2v1 and got overrun by hoardes of war elephants. I think it took like three of my teutonic knights to kill one of their elephant.

"Light travels faster than sound, so
some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak."

Middle Class Pride
View Public Profile Find more posts by Dilbert Add Dilbert to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Dec-2004 at 12:58)
I always played vikings due to their speedy calvary

The cure for stupidity is ... ah never mind it will attract too many warning points
View Public Profile Find more posts by treason keep Add treason keep to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
(26-Dec-2004 at 12:58)
This is an old game but as ive said a 100 times....time nvr kills a good game.Byzantines are the best IMHO.Because of their Catapracht and monks.However other race could be as powerful.It depends on the player.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Solid Snake 87 Add Solid Snake 87 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Dec-2004 at 13:41)

I like the Teutons best. Their special unit (forgot the name) is the best melee infantry in the game - and they look cool.

I can see what you see not. Vision milky then eyes rot.
When you turn they will be gone, whispering their hidden song.
Then you see what cannot be, shadows move where light should be.
Out of darkness, out of mind, cast down into the Halls of the Blind.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lightstalker Add Lightstalker to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Dec-2004 at 20:07)
Quote:
Well, a really good player can get resources easily.
yea, thats definately true, but the trick is how fast you get them. playing at higher difficulties the comp has a substantial head start, so the ~1min saved by having three extra villagers trained can be crucial. at least in aoe 1 id kill to have that kind of a bonus on one of the races... there simply is no way you can actually win a game on hardest against 7 comps by playing normally. your only bet is to play babylonians and turtle in and slowly come out. thats kind of the strategy id use in aoe 2 with the teutons and their tower bonus, though the variety of units is much greater so there might be another way out. having those 3 villagers on chinese might let you keep pace with the comp for a bit longer, which could just be enough to get an army up and going before they start attacking. thats kind of a basic strat, but the key point is that normally theres no way you can match the speed of the comp in aoe.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Simkin Add Simkin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Dec-2004 at 20:11)
Who was it that had those uber cannoneers, thatīs where my vote goes...

"This day will die tonight and there ain't no exception
Why should I wait for nothing to wait for"
View Public Profile Find more posts by Teppic Add Teppic to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Dec-2004 at 20:20)

Britons easily. You get lots of those archers, give 'em some cavalry and no-one can beat ya.
View Public Profile Find more posts by thamkeng Add thamkeng to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Dec-2004 at 21:00)
Yeah you forgot the Turks.. they are very powerful... the janissaries or whatever they are are very strong with their bombards towers and some calavery to protecg from seige they own..probably could own goths too in random but deathmatc would be different..

Hi.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Gibbys Add Gibbys to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
(26-Dec-2004 at 22:45)
Mongols were best by far. Mass some mangudai with cavalry archers.. you're unstoppable.

-Proud supporter of the President of the United States-

"Government must learn to take less from the people so that the people can do more for themselves." - Richard Nixon
View Public Profile Find more posts by mshafman Add mshafman to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
(26-Dec-2004 at 22:46)
Quote:
(Originally posted by phrdamasta)

About the DM thing. Well, a really good player can get resources easily. The great thing about teutonic Knights is, they're cheap and build fast. Also Tuetons get almost all buildings and tech (paladins). Although they get Pals i'd keep Cavs with them
teutonic knights are ridiculously slow.. that's their downside.. they're like elephants with fewer hp

-Proud supporter of the President of the United States-

"Government must learn to take less from the people so that the people can do more for themselves." - Richard Nixon
View Public Profile Find more posts by mshafman Add mshafman to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Dec-2004 at 23:24)
eh. i can't remember much of it. i only have played conquerors though, and it's been about a year, give or take some months.

teutonic knights were super beastly and fun to play with. i remember always sticking them in the rams and carting them wherever.

i voted for the chinese though. their machine bow thingy was one of the best defences if used correctly.

oh man. this makes me want to start playing those on this compy

You say I've changed. I think you've fallen behind.
It's all the stuff you don't know which make the most difference.
View Public Profile Find more posts by sparky wizzie Add sparky wizzie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote