Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Donated $50.00
(11-Nov-2006 at 07:25)

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old

Originally Posted by Laurence Binyon:
For The Fallen
With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.
Originally Posted by John McCrae:
In Flanders' fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders' fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe;
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high,
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders' Fields.
Today is the 11th of November. At 11AM today, 88 years ago, what became known as World War One finally ended. During the four years there was approximatly 31 million casualties. This day is for them, it never fails to almost bring me to tears when I really think about what happened and the massive waste of human life. For me this does include the servicemen on all sides and I try to remember that this includes people from around the world - not just Europe. Troops from India, Canada, Russia, Australia and so on all fought and will be rememeberd today.

As time goes on the rememberance on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month has come to include those servicemen who fought in other wars Korea, Egypt, Falklands e.t.c. These too will be remembered today. However dubious the war, such as with Egypt, the servicemen will always (for me at least) deserve admiration & respect from me. Thank you.

This is what every PvP argument boils down to:
Dear Devs:
Rock is overpowered, please nerf. Paper is fine.
Yours, Scissors
View Public Profile Find more posts by Grashnak Add Grashnak to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
Donated $2.44
(11-Nov-2006 at 08:25)

Thank you Grashnak (even though you beat me to it)
Little info for those whom are not sure what it is:
http://www.dva.gov.au/commem/rememb/Rem_day.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day
http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/.../tradition.htm

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Last Post - Band of the Royal Military College, Duntroon
View Public Profile Find more posts by NeoDeGenero Add NeoDeGenero to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Nov-2006 at 08:45)

well i feel like a complete ass right now, i didn't even realize that it was the 11th, i was planning on going to the memorial service too.

Well to make up for it,

writer unknown...
Quote:
Soldier's Dream

I dreamed kind Jesus fouled the big-gun gears;
And caused a permanent stoppage in all bolts;
And buckled with a smile Mausers and Colts;
And rusted every bayonet with His tears.

And there were no more bombs, of ours or Theirs,
Not even an old flint-lock, not even a pikel.
But God was vexed, and gave all power to Michael;
And when I woke he'd seen to our repairs.
Never for get the live of the men who died for our freedoms, and the one who cane back and watch as our country's became the very thing they fought against.

this generation should really be ashamed of themselves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poppy.JPG (26.0 KB, 23 views)

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."
Winston Churchill

Last edited by Scotty McPac, 11-Nov-2006 at 08:46.
View Public Profile Visit Scotty McPac's homepage Find more posts by Scotty McPac Add Scotty McPac to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Jarlaxle Baenre)
(11-Nov-2006 at 08:52)

I had the honour of playing the Last Post at my school's service.

Rest in Peace.

Rumours of my demise are greatly exaggerated
Do the impossible
See the invisible
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER
View Public Profile Visit Eltargrim's homepage Find more posts by Eltargrim Add Eltargrim to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Uzgadra)
(11-Nov-2006 at 10:21)

I shall be at the Menin gate today laying poppies at my Great Grandfathers and 4 of his brothers memorial

RIP all the fallen from all sides know that we remember and carry you with us

. R.I.P. Millie you took our hearts with you
. 26th Feb 2002- 4th June 2007
View Public Profile Find more posts by BouffantBob Add BouffantBob to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as jenn2006)
(11-Nov-2006 at 10:48)

they have a candian war grave yard here in holland for the soliders that have fallen. its a shame i dont have my car any more to go there.

Giraffes are cool
View Public Profile Find more posts by Jenn2008 Add Jenn2008 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Nov-2006 at 11:05)

Quote:
I shall be at the Menin gate today laying poppies at my Great Grandfathers and 4 of his brothers memorial
The Meenenpoorte to the locals. It is a very moving place to visit. There are 54, 896 names in there, but it is worth remembering that over 90,000 died a Ypres.

There is a similar Memorial to the Missing at Tyne Cot, with 36,984 names of those that died at Passchendaele, worth visiting if you have the time.

I like Lord Plumers comment from 1927 - "They are not missing. They are here."

I can never understand why anybody likes war...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Voice of Reason Add Voice of Reason to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Nov-2006 at 11:36)

Yesterday was history and tomorrow is mystery. Let's learn from our past mistakes and build a beautiful dream for everyone. For peace.

You know the real meaning of PEACE only if you have been through the war. Anyone, who truly wants to go to war, has never truly been there before!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invasion Add Invasion to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as ILubSasi)
(11-Nov-2006 at 11:48)

Re: They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old

Originally Posted by Invasion: View Post
Yesterday was history and tomorrow is mystery. Let's learn from our past mistakes and build a beautiful dream for everyone. For peace.
Aye remember those that sacrificed for our freedom.

On a side note it is or was yesterday the ~231st birthday of the US Maries Corps

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $11.20
(11-Nov-2006 at 20:26)

Originally Posted by Grashnak: View Post
Today is the 11th of November. At 11AM today, 88 years ago, what became known as World War One finally ended. During the four years there was approximatly 31 million casualties. This day is for them, it never fails to almost bring me to tears when I really think about what happened and the massive waste of human life. For me this does include the servicemen on all sides and I try to remember that this includes people from around the world - not just Europe. Troops from India, Canada, Russia, Australia and so on all fought and will be rememeberd today.
Those who live in countries that today remember their fallen soldiers, and those who live in countries who thank all their servicemen on this day, should indeed be observant today. In the US (and perhaps a few other countries?) we use the day to honor all those who have served our country. I can't quite come to grips with the idea of setting aside a day to remember all the fallen soldiers. I like those quaint little national holidays.

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to.-- Mark Twain
View Public Profile Visit Michael1's homepage Find more posts by Michael1 Add Michael1 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Uzgadra)
(11-Nov-2006 at 23:15)

I don't understand why people see the wearing of poppies, observing a two minutes silence etc. as glorifying war.

To me this is a time to reflect on the sacrifices of those who died under horrifying circumstances for our freedom and those who survived but who live with memories that those who weren't there cannot begin to imagine. There is nothing glorious about that.

It is about gratitude, not glory or liking war nobody likes it but sometimes it has to be done

. R.I.P. Millie you took our hearts with you
. 26th Feb 2002- 4th June 2007
View Public Profile Find more posts by BouffantBob Add BouffantBob to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Nov-2006 at 05:43)

Quote:
To me this is a time to reflect on the sacrifices of those who died under horrifying circumstances for our freedom and those who survived but who live with memories that those who weren't there cannot begin to imagine. There is nothing glorious about that.
I see it as a time to reflect on how horrible war is, and why we should do everything possible to avoid it. WW1 was particularly gruesome and wasteful of lives, being the first war to use artillery on a huge scale. sadly, there will always be people who look for excuses to start new wars.

On a side note, have you ever read Sebastian Faulks Birdsong?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Voice of Reason Add Voice of Reason to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $50.00
(12-Nov-2006 at 12:10)

Originally Posted by Uzgadra: View Post
I don't understand why people see the wearing of poppies, observing a two minutes silence etc. as glorifying war.
The poppy tradition was started by an American lady in '22 (IIRC), she just receieved a bonus from her workplace and inspired by the poem above, brought a bunch of red silk poppies and gave them out to people on the street. She campaigned over the next two years and made it into a tradition.

The poppy appeal each year in the U.K. is a charity event by the Royal British legion who look after servicemen in their old age and younger ex-servicemen who suffer from mental or physical problems. The poppy appeal is not about gloryfing war, but about looking after those that have a lifetime to live out the horrors of it. The poppies themselves are mostly made and sold by physically and/or mentally damaged British servicemen, it provides them a useful job and the means of their own charity.

This is what every PvP argument boils down to:
Dear Devs:
Rock is overpowered, please nerf. Paper is fine.
Yours, Scissors
View Public Profile Find more posts by Grashnak Add Grashnak to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Nov-2006 at 23:31)

I would have went with my grandma to a memorial service, but I had to work .

My great grandfather fought in WWI, and my grandfather in WWII, luckily both came back. They never spoke about their experience though. I sometimes wonder what happened to them over there.

This too will pass
View Public Profile Find more posts by Samurai Pooh Add Samurai Pooh to your Buddy List Reply with Quote