Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Announcements

View All Announcements (2) Global Announcement
01-Jul-2006 until 12-Dec-2019
Global Moderator
(01-Jul-2006 at 00:00)

A small FAQ + Link to Forum Rules

Content at a glance

The Forum Rules
Can I report posts/users?
The warning system
The complaints section
What do I do if I get banned?
How do I contact the moderators?
What's the difference between a global moderator and a local moderator?
Can a moderator obtain warning points?
How do I set my avatar?
Can I use someone else's avatar?
How do I set my signature?
How do I know if my signature is bigger than 60 pixels?
Why are some URLs censored?
How do I change my username, password and/or e-mail?
What is all that information below my name in my posts?
How do I report bugs for Angel?
The Polls Heaven section
How do I create a poll?

The Forum Rules [Top]

The Utopia Temple staff reserve the right to edit the forum rules without prior notice, should the need arise. Please try to stay updated, as no rights can be gained for not knowing the rules. By posting, you've accepted our forum rules and agreed to abide by them.

The Forum Rules

Can I report posts/users? [Top]

Yes you can. Just click on the little triangle icon a little bit below the user's name in a post and state the reason why you think the user should be warned/banned.

Please refrain from posting comments like "This thread will probably be closed soon" etc. when finding posts/threads that might be warnable for one reason or another.

Please remember you are not a Moderator - if you feel someone has committed an offense, or that a thread should be closed, kindly warn the post and let us deal with it rather than dragging the conversation off-topic by warning the user yourself.

The warning system [Top]

The forum rules show how many warning points are given at the specified offenses. When a user reaches 10 points or more, he/she is automatically banned (length is set by the moderator who sets the warning). However, this doesn't mean that users are free to abuse each other freely knowing that the moderators only hand out warnings and don't ban, as they still have the option to instant ban, should the need arise.

The warning points decay by 1 point per every 7 consecutive days without new warnings. If a user has more than 10 warning points and the ban expires, the points are kept and at next offense he/she is banned again, until the amount of warning points is below 10, after which it is as normal.

A common misconception seems to be that the banned user will stay banned for as long as he/she has more than 10 warning points, but that's not how it works. The user isn't banned until his/her WP's get below 10, but for as long as the ban time is set.

Please note that we reserve the right to warn users who post for banned users (inappropriate content). There's a reason why they are banned, and the whole point to being banned is to deny certain functions in the forums, such as posting.

If you feel that you recieved a warning unjustly, please don't post about it in that very same thread but take it to the Complaints section (the thread I got unrightfully warned).

Please note that your posts there may reflect on the decisions made about the case you present, so please keep a civil tone and we'll be glad to help you.

The Forum Rules

The complaints section [Top]

The Complaints section is there strictly for complaints. If you have questions, ask a moderator or post in the proper areas. We reserve the right to close and/or move threads that don't belong there.

Posts made by a user in the I got unrightfully warned thread on behalf of someone else will be ignored. In addition, posts made in that thread asking about someone else's warnings will be considered off topic and warned as such.

What do I do if I get banned? [Top]

There are a couple of different ways you could go about this:

1. You just sit and wait for your ban to expire.

2. If you feel that your ban was unjust, visit the Banned Users Complaints section only accessible for banned people and moderators, where only you and the moderators can see your thread, Once there, start a new thread where you describe the reason why you believe you were unrightfully banned. A moderator will answer you as soon as possible. Please note that your posts there may reflect on the decisions made about your case.

If you feel that you were unrightfully warned, please don't post in the thread where it happened, but take it to the Complaints section (the thread I got unrightfully warned).

Please note that your posts there may reflect on the decisions made about the case you present, so please keep a civil tone and we'll be glad to help you.

The Forum Rules

How do I contact the moderators? [Top]

A list of the moderators can be found here, as well as buttons for sending them PM's directly.

Feel free to contact any moderator for help with Utopia Temple, reporting violations to the Forum Rules, or if you just want to ask questions.

Please keep in mind that Brother Green has a lot to do with updating Angel, fixing bugs in UT etc, so try not to PM him unless it's really important.

List of moderators

What's the difference between a global moderator and a local moderator? [Top]

A global moderator moderates all of Utopia Temple, a local moderator is bound to certain sections of the forums.

Can a moderator obtain warning points? [Top]

Not in the areas of Utopia Temple where he/she is a moderator. However, any incidents that might occur where a moderator is involved are handled by Brother Green.

How do I set my avatar? [Top]

Avatar is the little picture below user's names. The maximum size of the avatar is currently 64x64 pixels.

Settings --> Edit Avatar

Can I use someone else's avatar? [Top]

Yes, but only if the person whose avatar you want to use endorses it. If you see someone using your avatar, please report this to any moderator. Moderators can see which of the users had the avatar first, and remove the other user's avatar. We reserve the right to do so without any prior notification.

How do I set my signature? [Top]

The maximum allowed height of a signature is 60 pixels. The moderators reserve the right to edit/suspend signatures that exceed that limit. vB Code is allowed. Images are allowed only if cleared by a moderator first, and the max size of such an image is 20x20 pixels. Contact any moderator if you want to add an image to your signature, do not insert a picture first and THEN ask a moderator.

Settings --> Edit Signature

How do I know if my signature is bigger than 60 pixels? [Top]

Generally speaking (the keyword here is generally, there are exceptions) you should be safe with four lines in the default size (size=2) or five lines in size=1.

Why are some URLs censored? [Top]

Certain URLs posted by users may be automatically or manually removed by our staff. This can happen as a result of numerous reasons, such as graphic content, disturbing images or other such things that we find displeasing and/or otherwise inappropriate. If a member of the staff removes your URL and you are unsure as to why, we suggest you PM him or her for an answer.

Attempts to post links with referral code to e.g. games where you can somehow profit in any way from a high number of clicks may be warned.

How do I change my username, password and/or e-mail? [Top]

If your registered e-mail address stops functioning (some possible reasons for that include your mailbox being full, suspended or inactivated by your provider), your Utopia Temple account will be suspended and you will be given instructions on how to proceed.

Settings --> Edit Profile

What is all that information below my name in my posts? [Top]

Here's an example:

1. "The Thread Snipper" is Pips custom forum title, a part of the Utopia Temple Deals. He or someone else paid to get it there.

2. "UD Moderator" is the forum title indicating that he is a Utopia Discussions moderator, a part of the Utopia Temple staff.

3. "Research Group" is the forum title indicating that he is a member of the Utopia Temple Research Team. A public group that users can join. This feature is in testing. For more information on this and any future Public Groups feel free to ask a staff member or a member of that group.

4. "Posts: 2858/2858" shows the post count of the user. The first number is of the current post, the second shows the total post count. There are some exceptions where the post count doesn't increase, such as The Lunatic Asylum and the Province Inspector (a subforum to Utopia Discussions).

5. "Reputation: 744 (8)" 744 shows the total reputation points the users has. (8) shows the amount of reputation points the user can 'give' another user. More information can be found here. The green bar below this represents visually the amount of reputation a user has. Clicking the symbol beneath a users avatar will bring up the reputation options for that user

6. "Warning Points: 3" This shows that the user has 3 warning points because of a rules violation. The "view" link shows a users warning history. Pip volunteered to be warned so this may be included and did not commit an actual violation.

7. "Post has been warned" only shows on the actual post warned so that the violation may be brought to the attention of other users as an example of what not to do.

8. "Donated: $2.36" shows how much the user has donated to Utopia Temple either through PayPal or the Utopia Temple Offers.

9. "(03-Jul-2006 at 09:50)" is the timestamp of the current post.

How do I report bugs for Angel? [Top]

First of all, you check to see if anyone already reported it. Do so by going to Utopia Angel / Report Bugs and Problems. At the top of that page is a small search engine for known and reported bugs, and what you do is type some keywords that describe your bug, for example "range check error" (without the quotes), and just press the "go" button. If your search doesn't display any threads, go back to Utopia Angel / Report Bugs and Problems and go ahead and make a new one. Follow the instructions (well you already searched, so skip past that section) to create a new thread.

Please note that new threads about similar topics may get you banned from this forum. Our time is limited, and we prefer to spend it on fixing bugs and implementing new features, instead of cleaning up the forum. For the same reason, please come up with thread names that describe your thread's content, as explained here (worth the reading).

The Polls Heaven section [Top]

The Polls Heaven section has some additional rules that, if you decide to post there, you should be aware of. These additions can be found at the top of the section.

How do I create a poll? [Top]

Polls can only be created in the Polls Heaven. Once there, you click the "new thread" button. The first page you get will be shown as the first post, so please write something about the poll.

At the bottom you'll see a checkbox named "Yes! Post a poll", you have to check that one to make it an actual poll. Also choose how many options you'll want in it. Press the "Submit New Thread" button to go to the next stage of the process - the poll making itself.

Fill in the poll question, your options and wether or not it should be possible to check multiple options. Finally, press the "Submit New Poll" button to create the poll.

This is a work in progress, so please be patient.

More things will be added later on. If you have any suggestions on what I can add here, feel free to PM me about it. All feedback is welcome.

Please remember to stay updated on the Forum Rules.

There is a main FAQ at the top of the screen, just below the UT banner (third button to the left of "log out"). If you feel that this FAQ doesn't help with your questions, chances are that the main one might.

View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List