Utopia Temple Forums

Utopia Temple Forums (https://forums.utopiatemple.com/index.php)
-   Religious Discussions (https://forums.utopiatemple.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Do you believe in God? (https://forums.utopiatemple.com/showthread.php?t=18887)

uiman 16-Jan-2003 18:01

Quote:

(Originally posted by tonyz)

i believe there is a god and there are such beings as guardian angels, i might not goto church every sunday, but i do give thanks to god and pray everyday, i had this car and i went to go take my little girl to the babysitters, on the way there it seemed like it was steering a little funny, but i didnt pay no mind to it, so i dropped my little girl off and went to work, as soon as i pulled into my parking spot, i went to straighten out my car a little better and my steering wheel turned but my tires didnt, a bolt on my steering column broke, so i know i had a guardian angel with me and protecting me and my little girl and then another time on the expressway, i was doing about 70 MPH and i got off at my exit as soon as i slowed down to about 10 MPH, my tie rod end broke and that piece helps to turn your front wheels, if that would have broke when i was doing 70 MPH i would have had a BAD wreck and in the 2 examples i have told, is enough proof for me to believe in god and in guardian angels :D
damn! I wished i had my guardian angel with me when i had my car wreck! Guess he was on leave. He/She should let me know first in advance next time :). Good to know there are some believers out there

Enderwig 16-Jan-2003 18:10

Quote:

(Originally posted by tonyz)

i believe there is a god and there are such beings as guardian angels, i might not goto church every sunday, but i do give thanks to god and pray everyday, i had this car and i went to go take my little girl to the babysitters, on the way there it seemed like it was steering a little funny, but i didnt pay no mind to it, so i dropped my little girl off and went to work, as soon as i pulled into my parking spot, i went to straighten out my car a little better and my steering wheel turned but my tires didnt, a bolt on my steering column broke, so i know i had a guardian angel with me and protecting me and my little girl and then another time on the expressway, i was doing about 70 MPH and i got off at my exit as soon as i slowed down to about 10 MPH, my tie rod end broke and that piece helps to turn your front wheels, if that would have broke when i was doing 70 MPH i would have had a BAD wreck and in the 2 examples i have told, is enough proof for me to believe in god and in guardian angels :D
id say the evidence pointed more to you needing a new car!

ton4052 16-Jan-2003 21:06

Quote:

(Originally posted by escher2003)

when the universe began, the only element in existance was hydrogen. for 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000001 seconds (that's 36 zeros), the universe went through a period of inflation in which everything was moving at faster than the speed of light. this was due to nuclear fusion and, if you've ever seen 'mars attacks', you know that helium is created as a result of two hydrogen atoms fusing together. occasionally, 3 hydrogens would fuse to create whatever is 3rd on the periodic table and thus, all things were created.
so u believe that u "evolve" for hydrogens....hehe
that means if the atoms didn't bang together....we wouldn't be here...that means it is an accident...does it also mean life is an accident?!...

me...i don't think so...life can't b an accident...there must b a purpose...

Enderwig 16-Jan-2003 21:20

Quote:

(Originally posted by ton4052)

that means if the atoms didn't bang together....we wouldn't be here...that means it is an accident...does it also mean life is an accident?!...

i wouldnt say it was an accident just a concequence of the natural laws of the universe. As to there being a purpose for life, i dont see why there must be one. Maybe that makes you feel uncomfortable, so what. Personally i can give my own life a purpose that i chose and i dont see why there must be some predetermined purpose for the existance of life. Its just something that happened. What we choose to do with our lives is what gives them there purpose and meaning, not the fact that we have lives nor forfilling of a gods whim.

escher2003 16-Jan-2003 21:22

Quote:

(Originally posted by ton4052)

true, if the atoms hadn't fused into everything else, then we wouldn't exist. it's not nessessarily an accident, but it is by chance. also, there was an error in my previous reply, there are only supposed to 34 zeros.

Angelic Death 16-Jan-2003 22:38

I beleive in...
  • Big Bang
  • Evolution
  • Something is out there...

I don't beleive in God, the bible or any of the religions.
I beleive that something is out there...

Talking about religion...

(About religious war) "You're basically fighting to see who has the best imaginary friend" - Rich Jeni

(Hope ya dont mind Darkskies (; )

webman88 16-Jan-2003 23:50

Quote:

(Originally posted by Enderwig)

i wouldnt say it was an accident just a concequence of the natural laws of the universe.
and who invented these laws? what makes an atom do what an atom does?

TAB69 16-Jan-2003 23:59

God need mean nothing more than "love". The Bible says, "God is love."

Do you love anyone at all? If so, then you do believe in God. Wake up.

DavidFF7 17-Jan-2003 00:04

Do I believe in God?
No, I do not.

I am a realist, and for me to believe things, I have to see proof, I can't just say 'Wow, a Priest and my parents and everyone I know believes in God, therefore he must exist'.

However, if actual proof is given of his existence, I will immediately change my standpoint on this matter. So I am open to belief, and I guess I'll term myself an 'agnostic' for now, since I acknowledge the possibility.

I don't not believe in him because I am anti-religious, I don't believe in the existence of a God because, to put it simply, there is nothing pointing to that statement being true.

ZeroGenesis 17-Jan-2003 00:09

Yeah totally True webman88... You get the "laws of the universe", and you get "science" and you get people trying to understand what they are and how they work in relation to other objects, etc. But no scientist I have ever heard of has come up with an explanation of how these "laws" came into existence and WHY they work. (;

TAB69: You can love someone without believing in God. The fact that you people can love is just evidence of his existence that can be taken a few steps further. So many people on these boards just don't see things your way :(

ZeroGenesis 17-Jan-2003 00:11

Quote:

(Originally posted by DavidFF7)

Do I believe in God?
No, I do not.

I am a realist, and for me to believe things, I have to see proof, I can't just say 'Wow, a Priest and my parents and everyone I know believes in God, therefore he must exist'.

However, if actual proof is given of his existence, I will immediately change my standpoint on this matter. So I am open to belief, and I guess I'll term myself an 'agnostic' for now, since I acknowledge the possibility.

I don't not believe in him because I am anti-religious, I don't believe in the existence of a God because, to put it simply, there is nothing pointing to that statement being true.

Open your eyes and see, DavidFF7...

Chizzy3 17-Jan-2003 00:18

wow...

I don't believe in god or a greater being, not to say that humans are the most sentient races in the universe...

Everything that has happened, over billiions of years, has a scientific explanation, stars formed through gases compounding of hydrogen and oxygen...a star dies when it runs out of hydrogen to burn..they have proof of this..aka supernovas, red giants..

Religion is based on fear.

If god were all powerful..why are they 150+ elements...
why would not everything just magically exist. Does your heart stop because god stops it???? no it stops from a lack of blood.

ManjiBear 17-Jan-2003 00:21

Alright, I gots a questionz for yoos!
Big Bang Theory, Hydrogen atoms, heat and energy, speed of light, expansion and space..... But I gots to sez: How can SOMETHING come from NOTHING????
Another higher power? As for priests, angels, heaven and hell, religious texts, as was mentioned earlier, these are all man-made objects and titles. Religion is complex but today's world as well as the past has always missed its fundamental point, to basically respect your fellow man/woman. Crusades/jihad/cleansings etc. etc. are just unjustified actions, they have nothing to do with God's will. There is nothing gained in killing others, in God's view that is.

Chizzy3 17-Jan-2003 00:25

the universe didn't come from nothing....dark matter is what they're calling it...i find it a little hard to understand but they have proof of this....from well a very long time a go...when they think the universe was created are these things called quasars..they give off waves of energy which prove that the big bang theory is at least partialy correct.

AznBlade 17-Jan-2003 00:47

Re: wow...

Quote:

(Originally posted by Canuckzown)
And so are laws, goverment, and just about everything else humans have created.
Quote:

why would not everything just magically exist. Does your heart stop because god stops it???? no it stops from a lack of blood.
Why are there 150+ elements? Well, why not? I'm theistic evolutionist so I believe almost anything could've happened, but one hypothesis that makes sense to me is that God wanted to establish an order to the unvierse, so created the laws.
-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-
Quote:

Big Bang Theory, Hydrogen atoms, heat and energy, speed of light, expansion and space..... But I gots to sez: How can SOMETHING come from NOTHING????
That's one of the problems about the big bang. Some say the energy was always around. I believe God created the mass and "supercharged" it for the big bang.

Here's how I see the big bang:
1) A wad of energy came into existance by God
2) The energy "supercharged" and became mass... this mass was divided into 2 different types- matter and dark/anti matter.
3) Both types of matter negated eachother, so they basically had a "war". Matter and anti-matter continually negated eachother, but in the end, there was more matter than anti matter. This explains:
a) Why such a concentration of energy would result in such a little ammount of mass
b) Radioactivity- A theory is that radioactivity and some forms of energy were released when the molecules negated eachother
4) The mass eventually gravitated towards eachother and started to form stars, planets, etc.

There's a few missing points, but that's my general view of the big bang.

Hurleyy 17-Jan-2003 01:21

Quote:

guess god cant exist either.. he is supposedly something from nothing..

Quote:

And so are laws, goverment, and just about everything else humans have created.
yes religion is something humans created. because a god certainly didnt.

uiman 17-Jan-2003 01:30

Quote:

(Originally posted by Enderwig)

id say the evidence pointed more to you needing a new car!
I believe he meant his evidence that he survived w/out it breaking at the wrong time but at a safe time means there is a divine being looking out for him out there. What has that got to do with a new car when he's relieved about being alive with his daughter? If he wanted to show you guys he needed a new car he would definately go instead of telling about the car and not about the daughter etc. Why so long winded then? bah...if this an attempt to make a joke out of a real life experience which could have caused death, well...wonderful sense of humour you got there

uiman 17-Jan-2003 01:35

Quote:

(Originally posted by ManjiBear)

Another higher power? As for priests, angels, heaven and hell, religious texts, as was mentioned earlier, these are all man-made objects and titles. Religion is complex but today's world as well as the past has always missed its fundamental point, to basically respect your fellow man/woman. Crusades/jihad/cleansings etc. etc. are just unjustified actions, they have nothing to do with God's will. There is nothing gained in killing others, in God's view that is.
Another one of those that just blames war on religion instead of men's lust for power and greed. Jihad was interpreted wrongly by Osama and co. Their actions do not speak for the millions of muslim. It is just stated that if someone oppresses your religion you fight them. Isnt it the same msg your parents give you? Hey son, if someone picks on you and hits you make sure you're not a stoner and punch them back! So are you saying your parents encourages fights/wars too? Think before you blame religion on everything. Its really pathetic that ppl will blame religion etc when its the ppl that make up how a religion works...just like how Osama chose to interpret jihad and brainwash others to follow him. Its ironic you're criticising something you would do if someone decided to oppress you. By the way, how would you know in God's view there is something to be gained in killing? You met him before? Brilliant. You know how He thinks because you're another ultimate being? Brilliant! Do not assume things for God just the same as you wouldnt want me to assume things about you. Most important of all, do not blame others for things men do...that is just utter BS.

uiman 17-Jan-2003 01:40

Re: wow...

Quote:

(Originally posted by Canuckzown)

I don't believe in god or a greater being, not to say that humans are the most sentient races in the universe...

Everything that has happened, over billiions of years, has a scientific explanation, stars formed through gases compounding of hydrogen and oxygen...a star dies when it runs out of hydrogen to burn..they have proof of this..aka supernovas, red giants..

And who are you to know what a God SHOULD do or not? Since when did you get promoted to 2nd man in charge after God? Just because He chooses not to act in your way, makes you right? Wow that would make you......God! Ironic isnt it? Ppl here posting about how God SHOULD THINK OR ACT when they dont believe in one.

escher2003 17-Jan-2003 02:18

Quote:

(Originally posted by ManjiBear)

for this we delve into the world of quantum mechanics. at every moment in time, in nearly every point in space, there are particles popping out of nothing. they always come in pairs, the particle and the antiparticle. because they come frome nothing, they can't exist and so they are called virtual particles. the laws of quantum mechanics destroy these particles before they have the chance to interact with real particles. they are smashes out of existence when their gravitational forces attract each other and they cancel each other out, annihilating them both. if they were allowed to exist, the particles would join other particles and the antiparticles would join other antiparticles to create protons, antiprotons, etc. which create hydrogen and so on.

(Underlined parts are supposed to Be exponents)

well, this is exactly what happened during inflation (For clarification, inflation started at T{time}=10-34 seconds and lasted until T=170x10-34 seconds expanding at a rate of Universe{U}2 every 10-34 seconds, therefore doubling 170 times). the particles and antiparticles got so far away from each other that they became real.

you all better read this reply, it took me almost half an hour!!!