Utopia Temple Forums

Utopia Temple Forums (https://forums.utopiatemple.com/index.php)
-   Polls Heaven (https://forums.utopiatemple.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   FOOTBALL!!!!! Euro 2008! (https://forums.utopiatemple.com/showthread.php?t=76233)

rsyhdtyjffdtyj 03-Jun-2008 22:50

FOOTBALL!!!!! Euro 2008!

Let us see whether Utopia players can gamble well and can pick the winner!

rsyhdtyjffdtyj 03-Jun-2008 22:58

Holland!!!!!! Go Go Go Holland!!!! Let The Lion Roar!

Adderla 03-Jun-2008 23:05

Ing-er-land

Oh yeah, we didn't qualify...
pfft, I don't really care then.

Antikristuseke 03-Jun-2008 23:07

Since Estonia didnt qualify, big surprise there, Germany fuck yeah!

RoWizzies 03-Jun-2008 23:23

I praying each and every night that Romania will somehow qualify from the "group of death" and win it all! ... They can !

HarleyQuinnROX 04-Jun-2008 17:23

too bad England didn't qualify ... so care factor is low except I just hope neither Italy or Holland makes the finals !!!

Hatter 04-Jun-2008 19:10

My bet is on Croatia. I think they have a good team.

Still disapointed about Northern Ireland not qualifying :(

Bierkrug 05-Jun-2008 05:01

I am in Iraq working with three Croatians and I am for Germany so we have a lot of nice talks here we have a bet and when Germany beats them I the first round I get to repaint over teh red and white checkers that cover an entire wall in the rec-room. I am not sure if it will be a Germany flag or just white yet.

The Chaos 08-Jun-2008 14:34

France will win. At least I hope so, else Romania winning would be fun :)

Nimon 08-Jun-2008 14:42

Re: FOOTBALL!!!!! Euro 2008!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoWizzies (Post 1641759)
I praying each and every night that Romania will somehow qualify from the "group of death" and win it all! ... They can !

The mafia must have stolen your food, 'cause you're seriously delusional.

I'm rooting for Portugal, though anything but Italy or Sweden is fine with me.

Lunor 08-Jun-2008 14:45

I'm guessing Spain, because they can.

They just never do...

Of course I hope for the Netherlands to win it, but I doubt they'll be able to. Still, if we survive the group of death anything is possible.
We'll see.

Unreal21 08-Jun-2008 18:58

Forgive my ignorance, but why do they call it the group of death?

InDenIaL 08-Jun-2008 19:58

Italy, France and Netherlands...3 top teams in 1 group

Anyways, I say Czech is going to win...well, I'm ok with anyone but Italy, can't lose another bet to my brother...

RoWizzies 08-Jun-2008 20:40

I guess you haven't seen yesterday's match if you root for the Czech...So far I'm very impressed by Portugal.

Ainumahtar 08-Jun-2008 21:57

you forgot the option "I don't give a fuck"

I don't understand why every single big football tournament has to be inflated into some mass histeria madness, especially including the thousands of hooligans it attracts that just want to bash each other's skulls in.

Apeiron 08-Jun-2008 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ainumahtar (Post 1642309)

I don't understand why every single big football tournament has to be inflated into some mass histeria madness, especially including the thousands of hooligans it attracts that just want to bash each other's skulls in.

Football players and fans have nothing to do with the idiots who ruin the fun by getting violent. Why should the hooligans change anything about how the rest of us feel about football? That just doesn't make sense. It is similar to saying that we shouldn't get all worked up for the USA elections, because there's been assassinations in the past.

Furthermore, there's a maximum of ten poll options. There's more than ten competing teams. So no, it's not reasonable of you to request a "don't care" option. A "no idea" option might have been included, but with the limit of ten options this is a good set-up.

If you don't care about football, just stay out of this and similar threads. Unless you have something more substantial to say of course.

---

I personally hope the Netherlands will win obviously, but I'm expecting Italy. We'll see who wins the prediction game :) If the Netherlands get past Italy and France, then I might get my hopes up. So far I'm doubtful they'll even will get second place in the group stage though :(

Caelis666 08-Jun-2008 22:39

Quote:

I think the thread starter used the completely illogical assumption that people who don't give a fuck probably won't be interested in voting for a poll on the championship anyway. :rolleyes:

Swifty 08-Jun-2008 22:40

Nothing's "inflated". When you consider it's the worlds most popular sport, and that the Euro's contain some of, if not the best footballing nations on the planet, plus they tend to play more exciting football (than say, the WC), of course you're likely to get wide coverage.

This isn't some minor competition. It means a lot. Any coverage it gets is deserved.

edit: And after the performance tonight from Germany, I'm glad I didn't jump onto the bookies-favourite-bandwagon. I think Spain has a very good chance this year. :)

Ian Out 08-Jun-2008 22:52

Quote:

Because football is fun? I take it that you have never played, or you have and everyone else was better than you so you are frustrated.

About hooligans... get real. There aren't thousands drunk hooligans running amok all around. There are millions :rolleyes:

And it is inflated into mass histeria madness mostly by media, because dirty capitalist pigs want to squeeze as much money as they can out of it. As far as I cans see, we are casually talking about football here, none of us is hysterical or, God forbid, mad.

edit: yeah, I forgot about the teams. None are too appealing to me... I dislike most of the teams, but I believe Holland has the bes chances. A good team they are. Anyway, I'd hate to see Italians winning.

InDenIaL 09-Jun-2008 06:23

Quote:

I guess you haven't seen yesterday's match if you root for the Czech...So far I'm very impressed by Portugal.
I did watch it, and yeah a 1-0 win over Swiss isn't a good victory at all (especially since it was a penalty), but remember that Swiss is one of the hosts, and usually the host gets "special treatment"

so, like I said in the other thread...wait and see :)

Also, teams that are not considered "top" usually have more to prove, so they end up playing better (not always)

Besides, Czech's missing one of their best players...Rosisky, btw anyone know what happened to him?