Utopia Temple Forums

Utopia Temple Forums (https://forums.utopiatemple.com/index.php)
-   Polls Heaven (https://forums.utopiatemple.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   51st State (https://forums.utopiatemple.com/showthread.php?t=77320)

Celtic22 25-Feb-2009 22:41

51st State
 
So as it stands the US sits at 50 states since 1959.

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on when the next state, the 51st state would join and possibly when.

Oh in answering the poll, I mean do you think it will happen relatively soon, like within the next decade or two.

Syke 25-Feb-2009 22:59

Puerto Rico is the only true candidate in the foreseeable future, but they've been voting down that prospect for many years and I do not imagine that'll change. They have a pretty good deal as it is, with most of the benefits of US statehood while maintaining a great deal of autonomy not enjoyed by full-fledged members of the union. I think it's more reasonable to predict our other dependencies being granted independence well before becoming states. Economically, the US controls a significant portion of Canada, so there is no incentive to incorporate them officially. Mexican border territories won't be annexed any time soon. It's possible a state might get cleaved in half- say Texas or California, but highly unlikely. So my answer- no, no there won't be.

KnightoftheNite 26-Feb-2009 00:12

Not relatively soon, no.

Puerto Rico is not a candidate as long as it speaks Spanish. And short of a state splitting in two, I see no other candidates.

Lunor 26-Feb-2009 00:16

This question seems a little random.

Have there been any indications for such a major, historic even, occurence?

I certainely haven't heard/read or seen any, so I really doubt there is a chance of it happening anytime soonish. I don't see any candidates for it, either.

Celtic22 26-Feb-2009 00:21

Re: 51st State
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunor (Post 1666769)
This question seems a little random.

Have there been any indications for such a major, historic even, occurence?

I certainely haven't heard/read or seen any, so I really doubt there is a chance of it happening anytime soonish. I don't see any candidates for it, either.

Yes it is random but you cant exactly say there has been a lot to talk about around these forums besides all the doom and gloom in the world :b

So just to stir up some disucssion i decided to make a random topic :)

Invictus2001 26-Feb-2009 00:25

Re: 51st State
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Celtic20 (Post 1666770)
Yes it is random but you cant exactly say there has been a lot to talk about around these forums besides all the doom and gloom in the world :b

So just to stir up some disucssion i decided to make a random topic :)


Not as random as you think...


Puerto Rico has voted down statehood several times.. There is some talk im hearing this week that DC wants to be a state but Im not sure Maryland will let them go.

Brightbane 26-Feb-2009 05:19

That little bit at the top of Minnesota wants to cede to canada. Just interesting information.

I highly doubt America will ever give up its image as the 50 states. It's ingrained in all the political crap, and how would they even begin creating a new flag. Do you have any idea how many of them are floating about? It would be neigh on impossible (love that phrase) to replace them all if we suddenly had the increase. Not to mention all the textbooks that will have to be rewritten teaching that there are now more states.

Invictus2001 26-Feb-2009 05:46

He just think of all the jobs that would create... in China

Black Oranje 26-Feb-2009 12:05

Soon enough the UK will join as 51th state.

Acadian9 28-Feb-2009 00:45

American Samoa
District of Columbia
Federated States of Micronesia
Guam
North Marianas
Puerto Rico
Virgin Islands

I doubt any of them will become the 51st state.

Chillin 28-Feb-2009 05:58

Puerto Rico is the closet to becoming a state, and if they actually become a state I would assume it to be in the distant future....like 20+ years

Adderla 01-Mar-2009 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brightbane
I highly doubt America will ever give up its image as the 50 states. It's ingrained in all the political crap, and how would they even begin creating a new flag.

That's the easy bit, they'd just add a star ;)

50 years isn't a long time in the life of a nation, and I can't imagine that people are so attached to the idea of 50 states that they would reject the idea of 51...

DC is the obvious candidate for the next state, but I suspect all that will happen is that they will get full representation in Congress without being given statehood.
The current dependencies are never going to be states - if they wanted to be they already would be.

No, I think the 51st state of USA will be Cuba.

DeRn HaLL 01-Mar-2009 15:33

Re: 51st State
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomized (Post 1666807)
Soon enough the UK will join as 51th state.

Haha good one!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nupdcGwIG-g

Stewie 01-Mar-2009 20:58

It's not gonna happen. It should, as DC deserves representation, but it won't because people in the US - and indeed all over the world - have a strong preference for round numbers.

Invictus2001 01-Mar-2009 23:12

Re: 51st State
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 1667033)
It's not gonna happen. It should, as DC deserves representation, but it won't because people in the US - and indeed all over the world - have a strong preference for round numbers.

DC should be able to vote for Marylands reps which they cannot do now. DC is only a city. Statehood... no.

IctouCE 02-Mar-2009 03:05

Dont worry , I'm sure when our economy hits the bottom of the shitter that Canada will swoop in and buy us.

EvilDH 11-Mar-2009 03:35

Re: 51st State
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IctouCE (Post 1667052)
Dont worry , I'm sure when our economy hits the bottom of the shitter that Canada will swoop in and buy us.

Well we've got 1/2 of Arizona and a good bit of Florida already, slow and steady wins the race! :lol

Michael1 11-Mar-2009 20:17

Re: 51st State
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDH (Post 1667811)
Well we've got 1/2 of Arizona and a good bit of Florida already, slow and steady wins the race! :lol

You only have those for 6 months of a year :)

I think Canada already is the 51st state :D .

Greeney 11-Mar-2009 20:58

Re: 51st State
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1 (Post 1667914)
You only have those for 6 months of a year :)

I think Canada already is the 51st state :D .

Tch, we're bigger and the world hates us less.
Let's agree that the U.S. can be our fourth (through fifty fourth) territory. :)

Now start spelling honour, colour, cheque, centre, etc... properly! :b
And it's called Zed!!!

Spectre19 12-Mar-2009 03:20

Quote:

Tch, we're bigger and the world hates us less.
I think in this context, population is more important than area I'm afraid.

Quote:

Now start spelling honour, colour, cheque, centre, etc... properly!
And it's called Zed!!!
And here I thought Canadians were ignorant as well. How wrong I was :b


All times are GMT+1. The time now is 01:31.

Powered by vBulletin (modified)
Copyright ©2000-2005, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.