Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Discussions > Utopia Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(08-Sep-2003 at 14:24)
None Noob Review Of Races.

Ok, this is my non-noob review of the races, I've read a few review's out there and they are ok, but I'm fairly certian that mine will be more accurate. I assume you are at least a descent player when making this...

Orc - Great personality for a straight nw whoring kingdom. Very weak in small groups, but in large they will rule like they used to, except probably even more. OOW Orcs have good economies b/c of their high pop, can afford there elties since they need less of them, can run high dpa's because they need less units for offense and have a high pop. Combined with a good kingdom/player this race will do great. Of course plenty of drawbacks if you go up against a kingdom of mystics or just a/t/m's can quickly tear you down, but the orcs should be able to hit for enough and withdraw after 36 hours if you are forced to war.

Faery - weakened as a warring race since last round since alot of there mana is used up in self spells they can't make great use of tog to supplement there income, which they will need with the steeper elite costs. Expect a dragon on you every real war you have which in the end can really hurt if the other kingdom is full of decent-good players. Overall though they are still a rather solid race, and are probably still the best a/t/m race.

Human - One of the strongest races this round. Great attackers when paired with the warrior personality, considering there already great income. Also great in warring kingdoms using the shephard personality. Overall they have stayed about the same since last round and should be expected to be seen alot in the top charts. They are also one of the best a/t races, and with the higher maintance costs human rogues could end up doing great in combination with elf mystic attackers.(Combining riots and greed with dragons will reak HAVOC on other kingdoms.)

Dwarves - Got improved some last round, cheapter elite maintenance will be very handy after the beginning of the round, which is when dwarves excel anyway. Shephard will be a popular and good pick for personality, another less used but very powerful pick, espicially if going for war wins or nw will be mystic. Combine a dwarves great elite with the ability to paradise oow, and mv/fireball/tornado/LL in war and you have a great combo.

Ok I'm bored so the other four will be much faster reviews.

Elf - Good solid race, a little weaker than last round considering there elite just isn't that good, and hardly worth the cost. But will be great a/m's and great t/m's as rogues. Of course I'm not much on t/m's but eh, some people likum.

Halfling - they pretty much suck, great for being a super theif, but who the hell needs a super theif with a good theif will do, they will make descent a/t's and do well early, but the crap elite that isn't worth the cost will drag them down.

Undeads will do great in warring kingdoms, probably the best race by quite a bit for war win kingdom's. They will do best when combined with warrior for cheap elites or mystic for good tog/fireballed/tornadoes, which combined with a dragon on your opponent will give you a huge advantage.
View Public Profile Find more posts by anddylanrew Add anddylanrew to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as draagdnul)
(08-Sep-2003 at 17:12)

Good walktrough of the races

Just one thing... Halflings wont suck! 3 halfling superthieves in a kingdom and that kingdom has FULL thieve support during war. That's IMHO better than having 4-5 "ordinary" thieves. Why waste more provinces on thievery than neccesary. Get more attackers instead!

I'm not playing Halfling myself, I'm Orc But we have 3 experienced halflings in my kd and they rule the opponent every age

What about Avians btw?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Evorg Add Evorg to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Sep-2003 at 18:17)
Quote:
(Originally posted by draagdnul) Just one thing... Halflings wont suck! 3 halfling superthieves in a kingdom and that kingdom has FULL thieve support during war. That's IMHO better than having 4-5 "ordinary" thieves. Why waste more provinces on thievery than neccesary. Get more attackers instead!
The thieves are limited by stealth, not tpa and thus "regular" t/m (elf or faery rouge) are more then enough
View Public Profile Find more posts by thaxx Add thaxx to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.56
(08-Sep-2003 at 18:23)

few ages back i was the only halfling super thief, and my kingdom made it to 9 million. i guess its just how you play super thief

Bah
View Public Profile Find more posts by L1F3 Add L1F3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as draagdnul)
(08-Sep-2003 at 18:42)

I know they are limited by stealth but 3 'er superthieves is plenty to support a kd in war. There is no reason to have more provinces playing thieve than that. Add 3 mages (elf or faery) and you got good T/M coverage

That leaves 19 provinces to be attackers!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Evorg Add Evorg to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Sep-2003 at 18:49)
I want 5 t/m

You want 3 thieves and 3 mages

When stealth is the limiting factor, who have best t/m coverage?
View Public Profile Find more posts by thaxx Add thaxx to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Black Fighter)
(08-Sep-2003 at 20:40)

Dwarf is severly weakened!

1) Reduced maintenance,
Ofcourse this was needed but it's perhaps even underpowered now. Should've been more than this.

2) No Miners Mystique,
I think title says it all; no Miners Mystique sucks big time for all Dwarves.
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Sep-2003 at 21:40)
Ummm MM sucked anyway, mines sucked too. That didn't hurt dwarves at all.

And avians plain blow, they arn't even worth mentioning.
View Public Profile Find more posts by anddylanrew Add anddylanrew to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Dark Dash)
(User is Banned)
(08-Sep-2003 at 21:47)

Quote:
(Originally posted by anddylanrew)

And avians plain blow, they arn't even worth mentioning.
Avians plain blow? They can attack 3 times a day, with 100% extra elite conversion. That's like an elite pump with every attack, and they can take crazy amounts of land during war.

---
OoZ

We own the night.
View Public Profile Find more posts by DaFoursh Add DaFoursh to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Old mde
(Posted as Maxwells Demon)
(08-Sep-2003 at 22:35)
well, IMO, avians do have a disadvantage. The fact that you have to pay milatry maintenance even when your army is out would hurt the avian economy. Since they can't use war horses, the soldier power change hurts even more. They're 1/1 instead of 2/2's which lowers their attack even more. Attacking three times is good, but as they will get more and more elites, they will pay more and more. There's a chance that..
1) You'll have a bunch of unbuilt land and untrained/weak soldiers after every attack.
2) You can't take advanage of the three hour attacks anyway, as in you can't log in on some times.

Plunder WILL help however, since all the specs are so much stronger during plunder I doubt very many people will horde a lot of money to make the plunder attack any better.
View Public Profile Find more posts by mde Add mde to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Sep-2003 at 23:31)
If u are in BF dont simply pick Avian!
Unless u are in good warring kingdom.

but last time i played in WoL ... Avian rock (at earlier of the age only ... and avian wont be able to defense agains T/M in mid age/end of the age)

Read it:

(1)Fort, Yes avian sux in def and so i think u need fort.
(2)W.tower, Yes u will be the main target in war becoz i could say avian is the most active attacker race in war... and Most of the opponent will disable the most active attackers first ^lol
Dont u think u need to build this 2 types of building (with high %) if u play Avian. Yes, u need it but the problem is , when u build Fort and W.Tower u wont have enough space to build max barrack.

* u can gain elite easily at earlier of the age but i'm sure u cannot manage a good economy ! And u wont be able to defend agains others attacker race [Dwarf/undead/orc]
View Public Profile Find more posts by cool Add cool to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Sep-2003 at 05:28)
I like Avians yea you have to have a lot of elites and stuff but...I still like the race only because you can grab crazy amounts of land. Unfortunetly that can make you extremly 'fat' plus the economu gactor stinks....I am having a terrible time in Gen with my income. But a few plunder attacks can make up for it provided you don't get plundered as well.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Miss Gracefull Add Miss Gracefull to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Black Fighter)
(09-Sep-2003 at 05:47)

sunglasses *Goes on about the Dwarf, instead of the Avian, part.*

Miners Mystique sucks?

I think you perhaps forgot that for the previous ages you could better have 10% Mines and 10% Banks than 20% Banks...a mix of Mines and Banks generated the most income. So Mines were allready a logical building in any strat, combine that with Miners Mystique on let's say...1000 Mines.

That's a big difference.
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Sep-2003 at 06:54)
Alot depends on a combo of what you pick. Faeries might be weak as offensive, but they make great a/ts. Combined with say orcs, and you're kd is going to rock.

(We're running 8 Orc, 8 Farie, 4 Human, 5 Elf) With the humans as banks converting to attackers, the orcs as heavy attackers, the faes as a/ms, and the elfs as t/ms? Thats going to be killer!

As long as you massacre the other kds top t/ms in hostile, I don't see whats going to be able to compete.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Shadows Fallen Add Shadows Fallen to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Rockman Gnome)
(09-Sep-2003 at 07:43)
t/ms are a waste of space, everyone should be attacking

and lastly, its the skill of the player that makes the biggest difference
View Public Profile Find more posts by Rockman n00blet Add Rockman n00blet to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Sep-2003 at 08:02)
Alright, here's my take on the races.

Orcs - strictly for a KD that wants to stay out of war. The -50% t/m hurts SO bad, you CANNOT war with this race. T/Ms will make you unplayable. Out of war, they have the highest OPA and DPA, and a good KD with lots of orcs that works to stay out of war can get their way up to the top.

Faeries - my favorite T/M race, they have the best leets for a T/M, and decent bonuses to T/M. Faeries can also make an attacker race, but their main purpose is to T/M. A warring race, their purpose is greatly diminished OOW.

Humans - This is an attacker race with decent thevery. Humans have awesome science and great income, making them extremely versatile. They can do almost anything very well, except cast spells, of course. Well balanced race.

Dwarves - dwarves were weakened this age. MM was truly an awesome spell. Without MM, dwarf income will be significantly weaker, and this especially hurts during pumps. Overall a solid attacker race, they are average mages and thieves. The 6/6 leet is a great advantage, but it also means to fully utilize this advantage, you'll need to make a full leet pump, and that takes FOREVER. A good race OOW, and decent in war. The food disadvantage hurts alot more in war, because there are tons of ways to take a dwarf's food away.

Elves - There is one advantage this race has over faeries: they can cast self spells on others. This means a few elves are awesome for a warring KD, because of spells such as CS, AD, and fog. Otherwise, they are not as good as faeries. 5/5 leets are worse than 4/6 for a T/M race, and one less general makes them less efficient attackers. Another warring race, although they will fare decently outside of war.

Halflings - Strictly thieves. There is no reason to pick halflings over elves or faeries if you want a T/M, and halflings make a horrible attacker race. 4/5 leets are just awful. Throw that in with a complete lack of attacking or magic advantages, and that leaves one role - superthief. One or two superthieves in a KD can be quite the asset, however. Against opposing T/Ms, halfings with AW are dangerous. There is simply no reasoning to use halflings as anything other than superthieves.

Undead - An awesome warring race. Although there is a personality targetting them, as long as you're in a war, sages are not gonna have an easy time with you. No offensive losses means attacking constantly with specs and leets will hurt you less, and after a pump an all leet offense is the only way to go. Fog and ToG are very useful spells, and NM is decent in large quantities. No food means 5-10% more land. The sci penalty hurts them alot, but double powered homes make up for it. Using an UD with 20% homes means more money, more power, and more happiness. Using an UD with 40% homes after pump means insane OPA and DPA in war.

Avians - Quite a strange race. The most awful disadvantage they have is no war horses. No horsies means -20-25% offense pre leet pump. However, this frees up land for other buildings, so max armories, lots of libs and hospitals, and lots of rax is quite viable. Combine this with ignore forts, and avians will be gaining lots of land, leets, and keeping up with sci. Extremely fast growers, they are best suited to be out of war attackers.

Here's a decent Warring KD:
4 faeries T/M
3 elves T/M
2 halfling T
15 undead A

This is for a KD that never stops warring. The faeries do the usual T/M work and mess with the other KD, the elves double as offensive T/Ms and spell casters for KD mates, and the halflings are the superTs who make life hard for opposing mages. Undeads are just for warring power.

t(^.^t)
View Public Profile Find more posts by 18yearoldsage Add 18yearoldsage to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Sep-2003 at 11:47)

too many T/M players. About 5 T/M players are adequate

ineser the Imperial
Cyber/Furious Angel[Part of Raging Angels IV-VII]
View Public Profile Find more posts by ineser Add ineser to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(10-Sep-2003 at 07:22)
Quote:
(Originally posted by ineser)

too many T/M players. About 5 T/M players are adequate
I dunno, a few additional attackers would take a bit more land, but a few additional T/Ms means you can mess with alot more of their attackers, and that makes you stronger overall. Plus, a warring KD would probably go for honor, and for T/Ms means more honor.

The 7 T/Ms is quite adequate for hurting 7-14 of their attackers, and the 2 superTs are for anti T/M uses. There are enough attackers, methinks.

t(^.^t)
View Public Profile Find more posts by 18yearoldsage Add 18yearoldsage to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Mundig)
(10-Sep-2003 at 07:33)
methinks a dwarf kd will be best for warring, as they will have the +25% gains, combined with insane peasant growth an short building times...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Avarice Add Avarice to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $2.64
(10-Sep-2003 at 10:12)

how nice would it be if you "simply" calculate the best options for each race, and see that there indeed are nice advantages to each race (BTW, orcs are best suited against plunder needing to have loads of def spec's for defense!)

The error you guys also make is that you look at certain situations and "forget" about the others.
The most important time for all races is out of war...that is about 70% of the time most utopian players play. Also have an eye for the other situations, but proceed from this point.

Make calculations who can have the best defenses when played normally (so half elites at 6 weeks into the game, which suits most players)

And also have an eye for the weaknesses during the early week, lateron and mid age...if you include that, you will have the best guide made anywhere...

Blood Raven
Former Head investigator of the HappinessFormulaeandIndicators of age 17 through 25.
Creator of the (now outdated) TipsandTricksGuidetoUtopia!
Haven't played Utopia in several years now. But i have returned
View Public Profile Visit Blood Raven's homepage Find more posts by Blood Raven Add Blood Raven to your Buddy List Reply with Quote