Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Discussions > Utopia Suggestions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(26-Mar-2005 at 00:25)

Lower NW when Army is Away

We all know that a lot of your nw is made up of your army. Especially if you have a lot of elites. What I was thinking was that, when an attacker sends out his army, that army is part of his nw. Soooo, when an attacker sends out his army, his nw should lower since his army is not home. His nw would only be lowered during the time that his army is out and the amount of nw taken off is decided upon the size of his army that was sent out. For example:

Human attacker 200k nw sends out his army. He obviously sends out specs only. So the Human bonus is +1 off spec bonus. So that is 6 nw per off spec he sends. If he sends 8000 specs, that is 48,000 nw. But for a 200k nw province, that is 1/4 of his size. That is overpowered. So what I came up with was that it is the size of his army sent out in nw divided by 2. So that is 24,000 nw gone for about 12 hours. So for the 12 hours that his army is gone his overall nw will be 176k.

The reason why I think this is a good idea is that it will promote more attacks, which is what mehul wants in the first place, and probably promote more attackers, since they are the core of the game. I know that those hardcore T/Ms won't like this, but just think how logical this is.

What do you think?

View Public Profile Find more posts by trustnoone57 Add trustnoone57 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Mar-2005 at 02:32)
nw is a measure of your province strength and i agree your suggestion is logical. however this works better in a land-based era, in a nw-based system it would only make suiciders overpowered. keep 20dpa at home, no mage no thief, all offence and your nw would be ridiculously low when troops are out lol. might be fun if it gets implemented
View Public Profile Find more posts by EternalWanderer Add EternalWanderer to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Mar-2005 at 02:54)

suiciders won't be overpowered. don't forget that you can still get attacked by provinces smaller than you, but then there get better gains because they are the same size as you. For example:

Province 1

Human, 200k nw: attacks

is now 150k nw because of suiciding. So he sent 16,666 specs. He gains approximately 150 acres.

Province 2

Human, 150k nw: attacks Province 1, 5 times

is now at 145k nw. So he sent 1666 specs.
He gains about 170 acres.

is now at 140k nw. So he sent 1666 specs.
He gains about 120 acres.

is now at 135k nw. So he sent 1666 specs.
He gains about 70 acres.

is now at 130k nw. So he sent 1666 specs.
He gains about 50 acres.

is now at 125k nw. So he sent 1666 specs.
He gains about 30 acres.

And don't forget that gains off of multiple grabs on the same province will diminish because of decreasing nw. Mehul wants that too. It just works.

View Public Profile Find more posts by trustnoone57 Add trustnoone57 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Mar-2005 at 03:41)
There's a problem with that. With the rules present regarding hostile declaration and peace blocking, a bigger KD can peace block a smaller one by making sure EVERYONE attacks first. Thi can also ALLOW bigger KDs to declare on a MUCH smaller one by making a lot of attacks (perhaps just plunders/learns in order to save up their land), and then declaring once they fall in the range.

And a suicider doesn't necessarily refer to sending EVERYONE out, but just an attack that leaves you with significantly lower defense--low enough so that you can easily be hit back, but not twice. So hit for hit, you will gain more acres. This will ultimately further benefit both topfeeding and bottomfeeding (since the retal will get less acres than before).
View Public Profile Find more posts by Taussig Add Taussig to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as not nerb)
Research Group
(26-Mar-2005 at 04:40)
I currently like all those humans running elite defense, they have a lot more netowrht, and are so easy to topfeed onto. IF this was to be implemented, i wouldn't be able to feed off all those humans
View Public Profile Find more posts by brenton Add brenton to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Mar-2005 at 17:04)

Well Taussig, there is a solution to the problem you mentioned. The nw of a KD doesn't change, but the nw of a province does. The nw of KD is the total nw of every province, no matter if the armies are out or not. So the nw of a kingdom is determined by the size of each province when their armies are home. An example of the problem you mentioned is:

Kingdom A is at 2.7 mil nw. Kingdom B is at 2.5 mil nw. What you were saying was, if Kingdom A delcared Kingdom B and did a full wave attack, Kingdom A would be below 2.5 mil nw, preventing Kingdom B from PBing. Right?

Well, what I suggest is this:

Kingdom A is at 2.7 mil nw. Kingdom B is at 2.5 mil nw. If Kingdom A declares Kingdom B and does a full wave attack on Kingdom B, Kingdom A would still be at 2.7 mil nw. That would still allow Kingdom B to PB. And the individual provinces' NWs would drop according to how much of their army they send out.

Last edited by trustnoone57, 26-Mar-2005 at 17:06.
(26-Mar-2005 at 17:20)

So what your saying is that, the NW of the KD will stay the same while the NW of individual provinces would change...? If thats the case, then good luck with that! Im not going to say that the idea is confusing, but overly complex. i dont see why a province's NW should go down when they attack? Just because the army is out doenst mean its not apart from province itself. I know this was supposed to make it so that smaller provinces could gain more when attacking someone with their army out. But the way the system is now works just as well. Sorry, but a KD's NW is the sum of all the individual provinces, but according to your idea, when a province attacks, its NW goes down, but the KD's NW doesnt?...correct me if im wrong:-p

Last edited by Elessart, 26-Mar-2005 at 17:20.
View Public Profile Visit Elessart's homepage Find more posts by Elessart Add Elessart to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Mar-2005 at 19:25)
Quote:
(Originally posted by Elessart)

I know this was supposed to make it so that smaller provinces could gain more when attacking someone with their army out. But the way the system is now works just as well.
Wait... you can attack someone with your armies out? I need to find out how!!!!

And besides, this is why I think it's a bad idea:

Province 1 (200k NW) hits province 2 (190k NW). It gais X acres. Province 2, which was the smaller province, is now larger, and thus will make lesser gains on the retal. So yeah, it detracts from retal power.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Taussig Add Taussig to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Mar-2005 at 19:53)

Quote:
Province 1 (200k NW) hits province 2 (190k NW). It gais X acres. Province 2, which was the smaller province, is now larger, and thus will make lesser gains on the retal. So yeah, it detracts from retal power.
Province 2 may not even be able to break Province 1 anyway, with this system or not. It just adds more strategy to the game. It also gets people to use ambush more often.

(28-Mar-2005 at 17:32)
Quote:
Wait... you can attack someone with your armies out? I need to find out how!!!!
what he meant was to attack a province with THE province's armies out

anyway, this will only make conditions more favourable for semi-suciders and topfeeding, as retaling is made hard (NW gains)
View Public Profile Find more posts by the real bong Add the real bong to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Carrickc)
(29-Mar-2005 at 04:32)

this is a good idea but way to abusable and the fact that your nw is a measure of your province it doesnt matter if its home or not, its a measure of your strength doing this would be saying that when your forces are out they no longer belong to you
View Public Profile Find more posts by Dr Phil Add Dr Phil to your Buddy List Reply with Quote