Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: Why is religion taken serious in some parts of the world?
dont care why 6 8.45%
freedom of religion 1 1.41%
politics 6 8.45%
faith 23 32.39%
background (way you were brought up) 35 49.30%
Who voted? Voters: 71
You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(13-Apr-2005 at 18:50)

Why is religion taken serious in some parts of the world?

I believe that is so because the rest of the world sees us as Americans living it up and then going to church on sundays and wednesdays praising god and whatnot then turning around and doing the same stuff all week long. Not only that but also the fact that other countries around the world have no freedom of religion so therefore they have to practice that single religion because once again the church is the state and if you do not practice that religion you are either sent to death or excommunicated from that particular country. The freedom of religion is another biggy as to why the rest of the world takes their religion serious because once again us Americans prove to be assholes when it comes to being religious. Most religions that we have here in the USA claim to be the only way to god and we dont care who the hell we piss off in the process. Also the fact that the average american christian changes religion at least 3 times within their lifetime and for what...to change denominations???? Religion is religion it doesnt matter if you are baptist catholic (god bless the pope) presbyterian pentacostal free will baptist its all the same thing they all take context out of each other and just branched off into another denomination which is stupid. If Christianity was really unified then they all would stop stammering around talking about that they are the only way to god and actually do something good for the christian image and unite all the denominations together.

Burning flames, shooting energy bursts, power with anger and superforms that kind of fights a Saiyan really desires
View Public Profile Visit draconis84's homepage Find more posts by draconis84 Add draconis84 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $0.60
(13-Apr-2005 at 19:50)

I guess its way you are brought up... Generation after generation have been taught how to believe and what. And not to forgetting in the time it will root in the peoples and generations.

Also some peoples use religion to enforce their own force and power. In order that to be effective, it has to be made something that has to be taken seriously. Like threatting sending peoples in damnation if they don't believe or that God would smite them down in his wrath unless they do as they are told. Such things usually make things pretty serious...

Then I guess comes faith...

Generalization is rhetorics of simpletons.
"Sages learn from history... idiots learn from experience" -Fairy Tail manga
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Menchalior Add Lord Menchalior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Apr-2005 at 20:17)

Re: Why is religion taken serious in some parts of the world?

Well, Faith is the single most important reason why religion is taken seriously.

I was brought up as a Christian but I never took it seriously until I gained faith. I used to just sleep through sermons.

As for why there are many denomiminations. It is because of different interpretations of religious messages. We lump them all together and call them Christian because they all believe in a central premise: Jesus Christ was the Messiah and died on the cross so that we sinners could go to heaven. However, beyond that the differences can be quite deep although they may not be due to differences in faith. For example they concern how you communicate with God, whether certain actions (such as divorce) are sinful, etc.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Royal Assassin3 Add Royal Assassin3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Apr-2005 at 20:35)

lack of education, religion is what they can relate to.

In poor muslim countries a huge amount of the children attend koran-schools (they study the muslim sorta "bible") instead, cuz thats all the elders know about.
And yes, these are the countries whoms youngsters later proclaim jihad and all that crazy stuff.

Education and development = atheism. just look at Sweden for example... they're very high up and are the world's most atheistic land...

Also comparing further developed and educated muslim countries these are much less extreme than the poor ones.
(like Qatar for example)

Zarczar
Seksi Kaer
Kaer Pimp
Sorry to break these news, but you suck.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Zarczar Add Zarczar to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Apr-2005 at 21:02)

I don't know realy.I can understand why some of the more primitive regions on earth are more religous but why anyone from an idustralised country would actualy take an authoritarian religion like christianity or the others like it seriously is just beyond me .It probably has to do with the way you were brought up.But oh well the way things are going hoprefully this nonesense will be over in a few hundred years(at least in the more developed countries)
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Former Global Moderator)
Research Group
(14-Apr-2005 at 00:23)

Quote:
lack of education, religion is what they can relate to.

Education and development = atheism.
These are rather ignorant statements, to be nice.

How much do you know about education then? Why is it some of the most educated people were religious, and religious institutions basicly founded the educational system in Europe? The Jesuits run some of the most prestigious universities here in the US. Knowing that, how can you say that religion is only for the poorly educated? That's not terribly elitist at all....

As for the original poster, the rest of the world is religious because...they see the US being religious? What?

The Kiowa swooped and banked hard in front of the car, firing three more shots through the front hood, the universal sign for “stop.”
There are two important rules for sucess in life.
1. Never tell anyone everything you know.
View Public Profile Visit Hawkeyekid's homepage Find more posts by Hawkeyekid Add Hawkeyekid to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Apr-2005 at 02:30)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Hawkeyekid)
How much do you know about education then? Why is it some of the most educated people were religious, and religious institutions basicly founded the educational system in Europe? The Jesuits run some of the most prestigious universities here in the US. Knowing that, how can you say that religion is only for the poorly educated? That's not terribly elitist at all....
Some of the most educated people are religious, but overall there are few. If the religious institutions partly founded the education system in Europe it's because they controlled everything, and they werent all bad as they have some good values. If the Jesuits have some good universities it's because the current administration and all the ultra-capitalist really love them as this movement is submitted to the current system.

Certainty is a huge foolishness.
I dont say there is no God, but if there was one there is no way for me to know it nor to know what he would want me to do. Therefore I act as if there is none.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lebeaugars Add Lebeaugars to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.80
(14-Apr-2005 at 02:42)

Complete and utter faith for me.

Yeah everyone that has religion is just plain stupid...I bet they all live in little shacks without indoor plumbing </sarcasm>

America The 6th Nicest Country According To U.N. Reports
MetalStorm
View Public Profile Find more posts by Soul Reaver Add Soul Reaver to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Apr-2005 at 05:15)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Lebeaugars)

Some of the most educated people are religious, but overall there are few.
Not few but many. At least in America 79% of college educated people believe in either creationism (God created the world about 10,000 years ago) or Theistic Evolution (God guided evolution and created man).

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm

This IS slightly lower than the general populace however that can be explained by a lot of things such as non-religious people being slightly more likely to seek material success. (which typically is attained through education)

Last edited by Royal Assassin3, 14-Apr-2005 at 05:16.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Royal Assassin3 Add Royal Assassin3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Elan Morin)
Donated $47.44
(14-Apr-2005 at 05:29)

Oh, I'm sure it's faith above all else. I mean, the fact that religions are always massively regionalistic is certainly some kind of crazy coincidence.
View Public Profile Visit Elan SsM's homepage Find more posts by Elan SsM Add Elan SsM to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $1.20
(14-Apr-2005 at 05:29)

Actually, yeah, I belive that education and somewhat high living standards = atheism, atleast partly.
If you're poor, religion is used to bring justification to your being. This is still a fact today, even though it was a much bigger fact years ago, when the church forced itself upon the common man (if you're not christian, you die.. And that WAS the way it was in many places.. Not limited to christianity ofcourse).

Also, there has ALWAYS been this "fight" between the religious, and the scientific. Scientists were killed (cant remember the year) for claiming that the sun did NOT circle around the earth, but the other way around, and generally anything that contradicted what the church said.
Even today, you can see examples of this, such as in the case of cloning.

And likewise, the scientist usually frows upon the religious people, for accepting things without proper facts or evidence.

atleast, thats how I think about it

**EDIT**
Quote:
Man has developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God guided this process, including man's creation.
This was from the study you provided RA3.
How can that even be an option? If you belive in God (well, the christian god), we were made in gods image and yada yada.. So this basicly means that the bible should be actually LYING about parts, but the rest might be true?
Might sound confusing here, but I hope I got my point across..

"If guns kill people...Can I blame mispelled words on my pencil?

Last edited by Mad Morgan, 14-Apr-2005 at 05:33.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mad Morgan Add Mad Morgan to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
(14-Apr-2005 at 08:36)

Quote:
Also, there has ALWAYS been this "fight" between the religious, and the scientific. Scientists were killed (cant remember the year) for claiming that the sun did NOT circle around the earth, but the other way around, and generally anything that contradicted what the church said.
Galileo was jailed for this, and I'm sure he wasn't the only one.

Quote:
Even today, you can see examples of this, such as in the case of cloning.
Cloning is an ethics issue, and it bothers a lot more than just the religious people.

Quote:
How can that even be an option? If you belive in God (well, the christian god), we were made in gods image and yada yada.. So this basicly means that the bible should be actually LYING about parts, but the rest might be true?
I don't think anyone but the fundamentalists belive that we're literally physically made in the image of God. It's more in that we have souls and free will than anything physical.

Quote:
Some of the most educated people are religious, but overall there are few.
What makes you say this? Are you trying to prove that there is correlation between religion and education then? Can you back that up? The numbers I have are all for the US and the survey numbers are really low.

Quote:
If the religious institutions partly founded the education system in Europe it's because they controlled everything, and they werent all bad as they have some good values.
No, it's because they were the only ones concerned with learning at the time. It wasn't a power issue, it's that they were centers of knowledge (leisure time and whatnot as well), and people went there to get educated. How power factors into this I don't know.

Quote:
If the Jesuits have some good universities it's because the current administration and all the ultra-capitalist really love them as this movement is submitted to the current system.
That's funny. So the current administration is responsible for the prestige of the Jesuit institutions that have been operating for a century or more? I'm trying to figure out how that works...

The Kiowa swooped and banked hard in front of the car, firing three more shots through the front hood, the universal sign for “stop.”
View Public Profile Visit Hawkeyekid's homepage Find more posts by Hawkeyekid Add Hawkeyekid to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Apr-2005 at 15:40)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Mad Morgan)
This was from the study you provided RA3.
Might sound confusing here, but I hope I got my point across..
No. I happen to believe in theistic evolution as well. So long as you don't take the "days" as Earth days, the creation story matches almost exactly with current theory on the creation of the universe and evolution. I don't think that is too much of a stretch because there were actually a few "days" that occured before God had created the Earth.
(14-Apr-2005 at 16:59)

Quote:
No, it's because they were the only ones concerned with learning at the time. It wasn't a power issue, it's that they were centers of knowledge (leisure time and whatnot as well), and people went there to get educated. How power factors into this I don't know.
I mean, as they controlled everything, they participate in every aspect of the society, so it includes education. When I say they have sme good values it is more precisely that religious people are willing to help others, and educating people is a good way to do so.

Quote:
That's funny. So the current administration is responsible for the prestige of the Jesuit institutions that have been operating for a century or more? I'm trying to figure out how that works...
Not since a century, but since a few decades, and especially since 10 year, yes. It's not for anything that Bush openly declares himself pro-life, it's to get the votes of the Jesuits. They are 60 millions who will pray to prevent war or to save the environment... and thinking it will make a difference. Dont think there is any multinational who is against that. So they have an easy access to reach public. The movment is also rising in south-america, the background of usa. surprise surprise...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lebeaugars Add Lebeaugars to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Apr-2005 at 17:04)

first make your comment smaller.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Scrim Add Scrim to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Apr-2005 at 02:21)

Mostly on faith.

You know the real meaning of PEACE only if you have been through the war. Anyone, who truly wants to go to war, has never truly been there before!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invasion Add Invasion to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
(15-Apr-2005 at 09:05)

Quote:
I mean, as they controlled everything, they participate in every aspect of the society, so it includes education.
They didn't control everything, nor did they participate in every facet of society. Most of them were seperate entities unto themselves, set apart from the rest of the country. They were often in secluded places and had little to no interaction with society. YES, there were a few that eventually became very powerful (Cluny comes immediately to mind), but most were rather separate.

Quote:
Not since a century, but since a few decades, and especially since 10 year, yes.
Again, wrong. Are you from the US? Jesuit institutions have been prestigious for quite some time. A degree from Georgetown meant something even as far back as WWII, and possibly even further.

Quote:
It's not for anything that Bush openly declares himself pro-life, it's to get the votes of the Jesuits.
Bush says he's pro-life so some monks will vote for him? Somehow I doubt that...

Quote:
They are 60 millions who will pray to prevent war or to save the environment... and thinking it will make a difference. Dont think there is any multinational who is against that. So they have an easy access to reach public. The movment is also rising in south-america, the background of usa. surprise surprise...
I'm guessing english isn't your first language, because if it is, your english teacher should be shot. That makes zero sense, try again please.

(15-Apr-2005 at 09:57)
Quote:
(Originally posted by Royal Assassin3)

Not few but many. At least in America 79% of college educated people believe in either creationism (God created the world about 10,000 years ago) or Theistic Evolution (God guided evolution and created man).

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm

This IS slightly lower than the general populace however that can be explained by a lot of things such as non-religious people being slightly more likely to seek material success. (which typically is attained through education)
How about quoting the figures that mean something.

80% more college grads believe in naturalistic evolution than the general populace

50% less of the college grads believe in creationism than the general populace.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Chax Add Chax to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $1.20
(15-Apr-2005 at 12:36)

Quote:
I don't think anyone but the fundamentalists belive that we're literally physically made in the image of God. It's more in that we have souls and free will than anything physical.
Being a nonphysical being then, does that mean that God have a soul too? Or IS a soul?
And the free will part, do you mean that God has a free will too? And CAN actually sin? Or isnt it a sin anymore than? What else would HE need free will for?

Quote:
So long as you don't take the "days" as Earth days, the creation story matches almost exactly with current theory on the creation of the universe and evolution. I don't think that is too much of a stretch because there were actually a few "days" that occured before God had created the Earth.
So, you mean, god needed prototypes? Can HE make mistakes too?

"If guns kill people...Can I blame mispelled words on my pencil?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mad Morgan Add Mad Morgan to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.40
(15-Apr-2005 at 14:28)

it may be just be, but am i the only one who doesnt know how to answer the poll question?

What is it you are exactly asking? Becuase your choices (to me) dont seem related to the question

Signature suspended by Starfriend for violating the forum's rules.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Jasmine X Add Jasmine X to your Buddy List Reply with Quote