Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(09-Jul-2003 at 18:57)

Quote:
(Originally posted by jh211988)

Beyond our power? Easily done. Get a man of faith, probably someone like Ulf Ekman(if you know who he is), and get him to do a prayer of faith.

Of course, don't pray only, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! God only helps you if you help yourself. You have to get the ball rolling first and God will make it roll faster.
Firstly, the empty words of someone who claims to be able to heal through prayer will not do anything to save someone who is dying. In the case of someone who follows those teachings, possibly, as a positive attitude can always help recovery. However, for a baby, who hasn't had any ideas about religion put in thir heads, this does not apply.

Secondly, I was pointing out in my post that it is often impossible to 'DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!'.

Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil - Plato
Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.
Only Sheep need a shepherd!
Religion is like communism: Good idea, bad execution
View Public Profile Find more posts by reetard Add reetard to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Jul-2003 at 03:15)
Quote:
Anyway, it's not impossible to spread the word.

It truly depends on your efforts.

If someone would just bother to learn the language of the Aborigines, and go there to spread their word, well, Hallelujah, we just may have another thousand of members in His kingdom.
People back then didnt know Australia existed, so clearly they couldn't have gone there...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Rabbousamai Add Rabbousamai to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Jul-2003 at 17:28)

Quote:
(Originally posted by reetard)

Firstly, the empty words of someone who claims to be able to heal through prayer will not do anything to save someone who is dying. In the case of someone who follows those teachings, possibly, as a positive attitude can always help recovery. However, for a baby, who hasn't had any ideas about religion put in thir heads, this does not apply.
Sounds like Jesus' teachings actualy. The part about the 'positive attitude'.

He called it 'faith' though. Stuff like, "your faith has healed you" and all that.

And most often, people healed through prayer are NOT Christians, but become Christians because of that. In my personal experience, it's very very hard to pray for a Christian to get well, hardly happens, but when you pray for someone who doesn't believe in Christianity (but who is open to the idea) healing occurs quite easily. Probably because most Christians don't really have faith in prayer, while NON-christians take the 'have nothing to lose' attitude.

-Part of the UT Christian Community
View Public Profile Find more posts by Ketam Add Ketam to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Jul-2003 at 05:33)

Say most non-christians. I for one don't believe in the I have nothing to lose approach, must pray to save someone thing. I'm starting to think our subconcious sends messages to each other and helping the other person get cured. It is not an act of god, I think

Izzy is back and older than ever!
View Public Profile Visit Little Kid Izzy's homepage Find more posts by Little Kid Izzy Add Little Kid Izzy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Jul-2003 at 21:33)
My faith is atheism, and I have faith in it.

No more religious people reply please, because I said so.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Vindictive Add Vindictive to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(19-Jul-2003 at 22:20)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Vindictive)

My faith is atheism, and I have faith in it.

No more religious people reply please, because I said so.
so you admit the parellels between atheism and theism? even though the evndeince for either is marginal

militant Liberal Christian..funny string of words I got there
"when life gives you Lemons eat them whole..Peal and all"
-the great Ipoc
UNITE! SPARK THE FIRE!
View Public Profile Find more posts by jahwarrior Add jahwarrior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $3.24
(20-Jul-2003 at 00:32)
I don't claim to be all-knowing, thus I contend that there MAY be a god, it MAY be of a certain faith, but I refuse to close my mind and proclaim that I know the answer to one of life's toughest questions. Many of the problems and arguments in the world today are because of people with precisely the OPPOSITE attitude, who claim to know all when obviously none of us do.

Thus the atheist, the Christian, the Jew, and all others who profess their way is the only way - I can argue with all of them about their belief because none of them will ever be proven (and if any is proven, by then it will mean nothing). I respect those who simply have a peaceful way of life (Buddism is an example) and those who don't try to impose on others.

I am an agnostic.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunar2 Add Lunar2 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(22-Jul-2003 at 00:10)

I HATE it when people dont understand what an atheist is! You clearly dont know it really well. Atheism is NON believing. "God lives in heaven" they said, then we got planes and all that. Now God is everywhere?

Let me give you a parallell.

You tell me to prove that there is no God.

I tell you to prove that the world isnt run by a drunk pink elephant driving in a wrecked volvo on Venus. Prove me wrong! And If you give me satalite photoes of Venus showing no elephant, well then I guess my ellie is everywhere!

But then you say "But believeing in that elephant is just too stupid!"

I counter "Believing in a "man" up there "somewhere" that made all and everything and so on is just too stupid to believe, yet people do....

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jul-2003 at 08:57)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Lunar2)
I don't claim to be all-knowing, thus I contend that there MAY be a god, it MAY be of a certain faith, but I refuse to close my mind and proclaim that I know the answer to one of life's toughest questions.
I have lots of respect for people who can admit they dont know everything. For the same reasons, I am also Agnostic.

Why do I think that MY religion is the right one? Because I have spent countless hours researching and debating; and so far, this is the best answer I can come up with.

"To sit alone with my conscience will be judgment enough for me."
-Charles William Stubbs
"'Faith' means not wanting to know what is true."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
View Public Profile Find more posts by TheTitan Add TheTitan to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as jh211988)
(User is Banned)
(23-Jul-2003 at 14:54)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Nimon)

I HATE it when people dont understand what an atheist is! You clearly dont know it really well. Atheism is NON believing. "God lives in heaven" they said, then we got planes and all that. Now God is everywhere?

Let me give you a parallell.

You tell me to prove that there is no God.

I tell you to prove that the world isnt run by a drunk pink elephant driving in a wrecked volvo on Venus. Prove me wrong! And If you give me satalite photoes of Venus showing no elephant, well then I guess my ellie is everywhere!

But then you say "But believeing in that elephant is just too stupid!"

I counter "Believing in a "man" up there "somewhere" that made all and everything and so on is just too stupid to believe, yet people do....

Well, hate to break it to ya, but you don't know shit about why I believe that God is creator and all.

I believe because I was blessed and He gave me revelations.

It's not because He's up there somewhere, nor is it because everyone says He's God.

Religion is the mental disease of the masses.
"Once again, religion is like sniffing gasoline. Both cause permanant brain damage." -- Obsidian
View Public Profile Find more posts by dothackRAVE Add dothackRAVE to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jul-2003 at 17:02)

When you can prove you are blessed, we'll believe it.
The mind is a powerful thing, if it is forced to believe something intensely, it forges a new perpesctive.

View Public Profile Visit Little Kid Izzy's homepage Find more posts by Little Kid Izzy Add Little Kid Izzy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as jh211988)
(User is Banned)
(24-Jul-2003 at 01:06)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Little Kid Izzy)

When you can prove you are blessed, we'll believe it.
The mind is a powerful thing, if it is forced to believe something intensely, it forges a new perpesctive.
I can't unless you take a flight to Singapore, and I'll receive you at the airport.

And you're asking for an insane evidence, something which is impossible to provide ONLINE. By psychological view, it shows you're at wits end.

"Once again, religion is like sniffing gasoline. Both cause permanant brain damage." -- Obsidian
View Public Profile Find more posts by dothackRAVE Add dothackRAVE to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(24-Jul-2003 at 01:11)

No, it's basic debate. It doesn't matter wher you are, you should have your proof. Tell me, if god existed and his blessings were daily to many people, why don't I hear more people saying they've directly received blessings from god that can be shown and proven?

(Posted as jh211988)
(User is Banned)
(24-Jul-2003 at 01:13)

Quote:

No, it's basic debate. It doesn't matter wher you are, you should have your proof. Tell me, if god existed and his blessings were daily to many people, why don't I hear more people saying they've directly received blessings from god that can be shown and proven?
The difference between me and your friends out there is whether they bother to talk about it.

I love God, and I'd do anything to glorify Him, including talking about His blessings.

(24-Jul-2003 at 01:17)

JH, so you are saying you are one of the few in the world that really talks about his blessings? (It's annoying when people capatilize god's actions and his pronoun)

I mean, I would obviously at least see one come to me and show me how he was blessed and he would prove it to me there.

(Posted as jh211988)
(User is Banned)
(24-Jul-2003 at 01:20)

Quote:

JH, so you are saying you are one of the few in the world that really talks about his blessings? (It's annoying when people capatilize god's actions and his pronoun)

I mean, I would obviously at least see one come to me and show me how he was blessed and he would prove it to me there.
You asked for it. Where do you live?

If I find the time I'll visit you. Send me a Private message if you wish.

(24-Jul-2003 at 05:34)

Re: Why do you think YOUR religon is the right one?

Quote:
(Originally posted by Sygnal)

First off, little note, you Atheists out there, you can watch, but don't get involved in the conversation, this isn't about you, this is only about people who have some sort of faith, Atheism is the lack of faith.

Christians, Muslims, Wiccans, Jews, *tries to think of any other religion represented here at UT* Buddhists (on second thought, maybe Bhuddists better stay out of this too), ahm, or whatever, why do you think that YOUR religon is the correct one?

Atheists may argue that you need proof, but proof flies in the face of Faith. Faith is what drives religon, not rationality. Everyone with a particular belief has Faith, but what makes you think that your faith is the right one? How do you know that your way is the correct one?
i'm a Christian and i don't think it's the only viable, correct religion around. i acquired this religion because my parents are devouts, but they practically let me learn on my own. i only wish i have the time to learn other religions. that would have been interesting.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Aletheia Add Aletheia to your Buddy List Reply with Quote