Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(Posted as Pheonix BD)
Donated $6.72
(31-Dec-2002 at 03:04)

Do you believe in God?

Well there always seems to be some type of religious aspect in some threads so I decided to make this one. You can talk about any aspect of religion, evidence of a god, why god doesn't exist, the bible, and stuff like that. It seems to me that these discussions are the most interesting.

Personally, I believe in some type of higher being, but not all of the Christian beliefs. The topic of whether God exists or not is very controversial, because there is no real evidence to support it.

Have fun with this one.

Life is a test and I get bad marks.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Hurleyy Add Hurleyy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as DaMo1986)
(31-Dec-2002 at 03:07)

i believe in god but i don't believe in most other beliefs. i think that the bible was just made up by a bunch of men with no evidence and a lot of it is nonsence. (maybe thats coz i haven't read it)

obviously religion is not for me, but many people enjoy it, so i will not complain about that.

Hello
View Public Profile Find more posts by Just Someone Add Just Someone to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Pheonix BD)
Donated $6.72
(31-Dec-2002 at 03:15)

That is very similar to what I believe. The bible was written by men. So it could all just be a load of crap. It gets me very aggrivated trying to explain to a Christian that the bible was just written by men and isn't true.

View Public Profile Find more posts by Hurleyy Add Hurleyy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as greeney)
(31-Dec-2002 at 03:15)

yes, i do believe in God

let's say the big bang theory is right....how was space made and how were the sun's made..then again how were people made and how was water and earth made out of clashing fires and gases?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Greeney Add Greeney to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Pheonix BD)
Donated $6.72
(31-Dec-2002 at 03:20)

Just because you can't explain something now doesn't mean we won't be able to sometime. You can't explain something therefore you assume God must have done something?

Suns are made from gas becoming compacted together.

(31-Dec-2002 at 03:23)
religion is vital bullshit that a society cant live without. i dont believe it, because its bullshit, but i dont pick on the believers, because its important to keep a society running. plus i shouldnt pick on people just because of what they believe, oh wait i forgot christians hate atheists anyway.

i stopped believing in god, or anything, because my sunday teacher told me that a rich man cant really go to heaven. its so obvious that a guy made up this religion to gain the support of the peasents.. also how can god love everyone, and then have christians enslave blacks, massicre the indians, and have crusades (which killed so many innocents). god doesnt love everyone. gog wants you to join the army. god wants you to die for god, and country. atheists just dont have that encouragment..only religious people have the beliefs to be willing to pointlessly die in a war
View Public Profile Find more posts by takama Add takama to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as DaMo1986)
(31-Dec-2002 at 03:26)

Quote:
(Originally posted by greeney)

yes, i do believe in God

let's say the big bang theory is right....how was space made and how were the sun's made..then again how were people made and how was water and earth made out of clashing fires and gases?
ok, how did god make water and earth? did he just put them down on earth?

i think its more likely that water and earth were made out of fire and gases then them just appearing.

Hello
View Public Profile Find more posts by Just Someone Add Just Someone to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as DaMo1986)
(31-Dec-2002 at 03:30)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Pheonix BD)

That is very similar to what I believe. The bible was written by men. So it could all just be a load of crap. It gets me very aggrivated trying to explain to a Christian that the bible was just written by men and isn't true.
yep definately! me too!

i have a friend (ironically called christian) who is part of some "new modern church without hymns and stuff" and he keeps trying to convince me to join it. i tell him "i'm not joining your cult so stop bugging me about it" and then he's like "don't you believe in the bible?" and i try explaining to him and he doesn't even listen to my answer.

Hello
(Posted as DaMo1986)
(31-Dec-2002 at 03:39)

Quote:
(Originally posted by takama)

religion is vital bullshit that a society cant live without. i dont believe it, because its bullshit, but i dont pick on the believers, because its important to keep a society running. plus i shouldnt pick on people just because of what they believe, oh wait i forgot christians hate atheists anyway.

i stopped believing in god, or anything, because my sunday teacher told me that a rich man cant really go to heaven. its so obvious that a guy made up this religion to gain the support of the peasents.. also how can god love everyone, and then have christians enslave blacks, massicre the indians, and have crusades (which killed so many innocents). god doesnt love everyone. gog wants you to join the army. god wants you to die for god, and country. atheists just dont have that encouragment..only religious people have the beliefs to be willing to pointlessly die in a war
yes i have always thought this too. i think a small group of people created this religion for support. more people joined because they thought it will help them understand things, and give them hope of better stuff after they die.

most people these days only celebrate christmas because of presents and big christmas dinner and those crappy carols which some make no sence at all. (eg. wtf is "ding dong merrily on high" supposed to mean?) most people don't know anythin about christmas history, and i think they are not missing out on much at all!

also about all that killing stuff. i have always thought that too, but it's not only the christian religion. it's in other religions too.

for example (no offence or racism intended in the following paragraph) ... in the islam religion, most people are fine with it, but there are some fanatics who take it so seriously, they say that they love their god allah but they say he tells them to kill people, why would any god do this??? i think it's just these people taking it too seriously, anyway, allah is the same god as the christian and jewish ones anyway.

also has anyone noticed that the 3 main religions that are always fighting are jewish/christian/islam? these 3 all started from eachother. jewish was the first, then christian, then islam. other religions don't fight as much because they do not share the same holy places.

Hello

Last edited by Just Someone, 31-Dec-2002 at 03:40.
Edit reason: made something bolder
(Posted as Pheonix BD)
Donated $6.72
(31-Dec-2002 at 03:49)

God told the people to not worship idols of him. Now don't get me wrong or anything but isn't praying to a crucifix idol worshipping?

They also act like a statue or the bible is holy. Like Oh you just dropped a bible!! It is just a book for gods sake. At the church they have kneelers in front of Jesus or Mary to pray to. Idol worship?

Priests act like they are holy or something. God didn't ask you to be a priest did he? He didn't give you special powers. Really no one gave them the right to be holy. Just other men. And the whole telling your sins to a priest. Why do you need to tell a priest your sins? He isn't God. If you want to tell your sins pray or whatever.

I think it is just all a big scam so they can act like they have authority or something. Sitting under the vatican are millions of dollars in gold and art so why don't you sell that for the poor? A priest shouldn't have possesions. They are in service to the poor.

Collecting money in church. Now Jesus himself, the leading figure of Christianity, went to the temple, and flipped all the collecting tables because church isn't supposed to be about money.

If there is a God, I think man corrupted and altered what his teachings truly were, to benefit man and not spreading the word or whatever. Those are the reasons I don't believe in any organized religion.

(31-Dec-2002 at 03:57)
i just wish christians would leave the non-believers alone. im not just talking the prejudice vrs atheists, but im also strongly speaking against the christian childrens fund. i know those are poor kids, and i want to help them, but the christain childrens fund gives the kid stuff from your money, while basicly forcing the kid to convert. once again othodox christians dont believe in this heh we got it all
View Public Profile Find more posts by takama Add takama to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as DaMo1986)
(31-Dec-2002 at 03:58)

question

Quote:
(Originally posted by Pheonix BD)

Priests act like they are holy or something. God didn't ask you to be a priest did he? He didn't give you special powers. Really no one gave them the right to be holy. Just other men. And the whole telling your sins to a priest. Why do you need to tell a priest your sins? He isn't God. If you want to tell your sins pray or whatever.
priests also preach that it's wrong to have homosexual sex but then some (not all) of them do it to little boys, it's disgusting.

and when they're accused of something like this. they don't just call upon any of their friends to back them up, they call upon church-goers who believe all the false lies from church and from the priests. then these people are like "i believe him because i don't think he would do something like this and i don't need any evidence" (john howard said something just like that recently but i forgot exactly what he said)

Hello
(Posted as Pheonix BD)
Donated $6.72
(31-Dec-2002 at 04:03)

We need to get some churchies in here so it doesn't become a Christian bashing thread.

(31-Dec-2002 at 04:28)
Peronally I do believe in Gods (as in gods in other religions...I am not a Christian but I do believe in God and stuff...I believe in Buddhism and Taoism...)

Religious texts are written by men (with the insturctions of God I presume), the texts are used by men for various purposes e.g. to find reasons for things unexplained by our current level of science...used for motivation during times of hardships etc...

God is something that I do believe exists...but it is up to the mind of the human race to explain the makings of God...

when one is enlighten, God is near you...helping you to reach the next level...Paradise, the land of no sufferings and pain...

If one man realise or seen through how things work in this world...he is not affected by sufferings and pain and only wait for the time when he goes to Heaven...he is enlighten...

P.S: the above is just my comments...strictly no offense to all opinions of others...

Love is the biggest lie ever created to cheat mankind...

People die for it...people fight for it...but what is love...does anyone know...I dun think so...

Unknown
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Ares Add Lord Ares to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Brend AA)
(31-Dec-2002 at 04:36)
I do not believe in any Gods or anything, because no person has yet to answer this to me, religious or not...

Prove to me that God does NOT exist. No one can prove to me that he doesn't exist. Then that begs the question, if something cannot be said not to exist, then it must exist?

Also, why is God always male? No one can see an omnipicent being until they die or so it is said, therefore they cannot know the gender of such a god, nor that it is old, young, humanoid, or whatever.

And here's another question... If a god created the universe, what created this god? It had to come from somewhere... And it seems to me that no one has an answer for this.

Religion is just too full of holes for anyone with sanity to believe in it.

Deliverance | IRC: #deliverance

Why should I blame her that she filled my day/With misery, or that she would of late/Have taught ignorant men most violent ways
View Public Profile Find more posts by Brend Add Brend to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(31-Dec-2002 at 04:44)

Here I am, the buy you guys need to argue against

My strictly Christian standpoint:

It wasn't the men that wrote the Bible, it was the Holy Spirit that entered the men, and God used the person as the carrier of his message.

And just because believers or preachers aren't perfect doesn't mean God is wrong.

In fact, the existence of evil within humanity, even the priests and stuff just proves one of Christianity's major point, that all humans are born into sin and are not perfect, never will be on this earth.

All fall short of the glory of God.

//-------------------------------------------------

but then, I don't believe in imposing my belief on others:

*I believe in charity but not in government welfare
*Adultery and sex before marriage are grievous sins, but I'm against outlawing them

etc. etc.

I don't think necessity is the mother of invention -
invention, in my opinion, arises directly from idleness,
possibly laziness. To save oneself trouble.
-Agatha Christie

Last edited by DelbourgPicaune, 31-Dec-2002 at 04:45.
View Public Profile Visit DelbourgPicaune's homepage Find more posts by DelbourgPicaune Add DelbourgPicaune to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(31-Dec-2002 at 04:51)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Brend AA)
I do not believe in any Gods or anything, because no person has yet to answer this to me, religious or not...

Prove to me that God does NOT exist. No one can prove to me that he doesn't exist. Then that begs the question, if something cannot be said not to exist, then it must exist?

Also, why is God always male? No one can see an omnipicent being until they die or so it is said, therefore they cannot know the gender of such a god, nor that it is old, young, humanoid, or whatever.
God's nature goes over and above such things as gender or age.
In standard english language, it's proper to refer to someone of unidentified gender as "he".
And in traditional use of language, there is very little distiction between terms like "father" and "parent", "man" and "human" etc, and what many consider to be generally male ("father" "son" "Son of Man") representation just stuck as tradition, but it's meaningless to worry about God's gender.
Quote:
And here's another question... If a god created the universe, what created this god? It had to come from somewhere... And it seems to me that no one has an answer for this.
Time is a nature of the universe that God created, and before the creation, there was no such thing as time, no such time period as before creation. (I think St. Augustine explained it as something along that line)
Quote:
Religion is just too full of holes for anyone with sanity to believe in it.
what holes? tell me about those holes.

I don't think necessity is the mother of invention -
invention, in my opinion, arises directly from idleness,
possibly laziness. To save oneself trouble.
-Agatha Christie

Last edited by DelbourgPicaune, 31-Dec-2002 at 04:53.
View Public Profile Visit DelbourgPicaune's homepage Find more posts by DelbourgPicaune Add DelbourgPicaune to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(31-Dec-2002 at 04:57)

lolz, probably will post something about a dome or how the revelation is false or other useless things.

anywho, i personally dont like atheists, not because they dont believe in my God, but because they seem pretty closed-minded. i dont mind if u r an agnostic, but atheists usually get on religious people's nerves with pointless remarks.

"Light travels faster than sound, so
some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak."

Middle Class Pride
View Public Profile Find more posts by Dilbert Add Dilbert to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Pheonix BD)
Donated $6.72
(31-Dec-2002 at 05:00)

Everyone says that there must be a God because someone had to create space. Well then where did God come from? If God can just be here, why couldn't have space just been there. Empty space is far more believeable then a being who created everything, just exists, and has never actually given solid evidence that he exists.

(31-Dec-2002 at 05:03)
I am very sure that a being exists, I have looked for many things in religon that religon can not give. When I see religon such as christian, I see slavery... not to be mean or anyting but when I hear and I've heard it alot that I must give my Will over to God and then be filled by his Will it makes me sick. God gave me the power of reason, the Will to make things happen around me. He gave us so much to make us Free, yet I hear that I must give them back and become a witnessing christian? I have to freinds who are christians, one hardcore, the other relizes that the bible is man made therefore flawed. He says it opens the door, all you have to do is walk through and look for your self. That the things in the bible are both false yet real at the same time. God gave us reason, logic, Willpower, and faith in the unknown. But that faith goes against the reason and logic he gave us...

God is a mystery, we must find our own ways to him and his paradise. Through any means we have taken I belive that all religons have truth with in, those truths are shared in all other (good) religons. (not satan or anything like that)Even wicca has the same truths, but in wiccan there is a double egded blade at work, "what you send out comes back 3 fold" do evil and it does return, do good and so shall it return. Yes the bible says magic is bad, but with all things that cannot be explained it is either thrown to god as a mirical or called a curse of the dark one...

Bible-hand made by man
the forest planted by god with a single act eons ago. With has more sprirtual power? the earth gods creation, or a peice of dead organic wood with words printed to it?
View Public Profile Find more posts by 2883 Add 2883 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote