Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Other Games' Forums > World of Warcraft

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
WoW Moderator
Donated $22.00
(21-Aug-2009 at 23:10)

freak WoW: Cataclysm

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/catac...?autoplay=true

I'm -very- intrigued!

Hmmmm... I think I need a new signature
View Public Profile Visit Sossy's homepage Find more posts by Sossy Add Sossy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Aug-2009 at 23:26)
Damn, I had heard about this, but thought it would be after the Lich King. From the sounds of this, it will be a mini-expansion. From what I've read, this will only increase the lvl to 85. But as you say, I am also very intrigued. HEROIC DEADMINES FTW!
View Public Profile Find more posts by The Killer Add The Killer to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(22-Aug-2009 at 00:06)

[SPOILERS LOL]

I don't know..

he Horde get their own cutsey cutsey Gnomes. Sorry. Goblins. And the Alliance take in nasty nasty Worgens. What are we, the Horde?

Glad to see Garrosh taking over though. Means more inter-faction conflict for sure. GTFO pussy Thrall.

........Why does the thin grey strand......Ah, you will understand;.......................I should find, for a reprimand
.......Floating up from the forgotten......When I carried my mother downstairs,.....To my gaiety, a few long grey hairs
......Cigarette between my fingers,......A few times only, at the beginning..........On the breast of my coat; and one by one
.....Why does it trouble me?.............Of her soft-foot malady,.......................I watched them float up the dark chimney.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Swifty Add Swifty to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Aug-2009 at 01:00)

[spoilers, but seriously opening this thread is asking for it]

I dislike almost everything I've heard so far about it, sadly
I've just started playing WOTLK (lvl 73 now) and I'm not looking forward to coming back to Azeroth, finally being able to fly there and then have the map be all different because all kinds of continents will be below sea level and whatnot =/

And giving Alliance Worgen (I play both but mostly alliance, so there's little bias) is a real good way for Blizzard to blur the lines between Horde and Alliance. WHICH IS STUPID. They're supposed to be different! That's like half of what WoW is about, having two different factions. If you want a beastly character, roll horde!

That said, I'm sure it'll be fun. The guys at Blizzard know what they're doing.

Good link about Cataclysm:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=97425.0

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)

Last edited by Lunor, 22-Aug-2009 at 01:04.
Edit reason: Also Cairne Bloodhoof dying makes me want to cry. He was my favorite character :'(
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunor Add Lunor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(22-Aug-2009 at 01:55)

Re: WoW: Cataclysm

Originally Posted by Lunor: View Post
[spoilers, but seriously opening this thread is asking for it]

I've just started playing WOTLK (lvl 73 now) and I'm not looking forward to coming back to Azeroth, finally being able to fly there and then have the map be all different because all kinds of continents will be below sea level and whatnot =/

And giving Alliance Worgen (I play both but mostly alliance, so there's little bias) is a real good way for Blizzard to blur the lines between Horde and Alliance. WHICH IS STUPID. They're supposed to be different! That's like half of what WoW is about, having two different factions. If you want a beastly character, roll horde!

That said, I'm sure it'll be fun. The guys at Blizzard know what they're doing.

Good link about Cataclysm:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=97425.0
Well i've actually seen the panels, and they've said a lot of good stuff. Like reworking stats (no mp5, no spellpower, etc). But I agree, they worgen/goblin is just merging the factions. Horde should be evil. Alliance good.

But the phasing of the old continents doesn't sound so good. Old zones torn in two, and lava and shit? Meh.

........Why does the thin grey strand......Ah, you will understand;.......................I should find, for a reprimand
.......Floating up from the forgotten......When I carried my mother downstairs,.....To my gaiety, a few long grey hairs
......Cigarette between my fingers,......A few times only, at the beginning..........On the breast of my coat; and one by one
.....Why does it trouble me?.............Of her soft-foot malady,.......................I watched them float up the dark chimney.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Swifty Add Swifty to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Aug-2009 at 02:04)

Originally Posted by Swifty: View Post
Well i've actually seen the panels, and they've said a lot of good stuff. Like reworking stats (no mp5, no spellpower, etc). But I agree, they worgen/goblin is just merging the factions. Horde should be evil. Alliance good.

But the phasing of the old continents doesn't sound so good. Old zones torn in two, and lava and shit? Meh.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=97548.0
Has some up-to-date stuff about the panels, and I agree they do sound pretty good.

It's just the whole idea of losing the Azeroth I grew up in and the new races being stupid that I don't like.
These races are even worse than Draenei/Blood Elves, which I already thought were a huge blow to Alliance/Horde 'specialness'. And by that I mean that Draenei males are big and bulky and they have tails and squidthings making them a little monster-like, while the Blood Elves are at the very least designed as skinny metrosexuals (nothing wrong with that in and of itself, just describing).
If they had provided just the skins and no context, everyone would slot the Draenei with the Horde and the Blood Elves with the Alliance. Worgen/Goblins is the same, but a little less exagerated on the Horde side and a little more on the Alliance side.

I do think it's good both sides got all classes though, and I can understand why they had to do that. Even though it was very special to be the only faction to have a certain class it would just lead to them being more and more alike or one faction having a huge advantage over the other.
But the new races...out of the four (two with TBC and two in Cat), only the Goblins seem like a good fit to me. I would definately slot them with the hordies if they had to choose a side.

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunor Add Lunor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Aug-2009 at 18:22)

Wow...

I started playing post BC, pre WotLK. I only made my first DK last night actually! So the WotLK expansion to me didn't interfere with my gameplay but rather added to it and made it better.

It will be really strange with this one that the whole world is changing. It's not really something I'm looking forward to. But on the other hand, I can understand from a game designers' perspective how the altering of already known landscapes creates a realism equal to the magnitude of the descension of Death Wing. I can also see how it would bring the realism of the change in story to life for all players considering we are comfortable and familiar with how the landscape is now. It is intentionally meant to jar us and create a cathartic experience of uncertainty. If the game doesn't evolve, it will go stale.

As for the new races, I feel like the Goblins make sense but the Worgen seem a bit of a stretch for an Alliance race.

The Archaeology profession sounds really cool. I would rather it had been made a primary though rather than a secondary. I think it would work better as something specialized but since they attached the opening up of certain character paths as a reward for it, there is no way it could be a primary profession.

“Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood” ~ William Shakespeare

Last edited by Lilydaze, 22-Aug-2009 at 18:25.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lilydaze Add Lilydaze to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Aug-2009 at 18:40)

[SPOILERS LOL]
I don't know..

he Horde get their own cutsey cutsey Gnomes. Sorry. Goblins. And the Alliance take in nasty nasty Worgens. What are we, the Horde?
Looks like you finally got a non lame class to play.

Quote:
Glad to see Garrosh taking over though. Means more inter-faction conflict for sure. GTFO pussy Thrall.
Thrall > Garrosh > Horde > Alliance people > Gnomes.

Originally Posted by Lunor:
Yeah, other than Heroic SFK I'm pretty disappointed, but I do love all the Warlock changes to Soul Shards and Deathwing being the new badguy.

Originally Posted by WoWchampions:
A new guild advancement system will let you earn guild perks and level a guild through 20 levels with points to spend in a talent tree. You will access abilities such as cheaper repairs, less durability loss on wipes, or mass resurection.

I like that too.

For those interested (cause I was): According to WoWWiki

Worgen Character classes:
Death knight, Druid, Hunter, Mage, Priest, Rogue, Warlock, Warrior

Estimated Racial traits: According to WoWWiki
Quote:
Darkflight - instant - 3 min cooldown
Activate your true form, increasing movement speed by 70% for 6 sec.

Viciousness - passive
Increase damage by 1%.

Abberation - passive
Reduced duration on Curses and Diseases used against you buy 15%.

Flayer - passive
Skinning skill +15, skinning speed increase, no knife required.

Transformation - instant
Transforms you from a Worgen to a Human and back again ((cosmetic only))

Goblin Character classes: According to WoWWiki
Death knight, Hunter, Mage, Priest, Rogue, Shaman, Warlock, Warrior

Estimated Racial Traits: According to WoWWiki
Quote:
Rocket Jump - instant - 2 min cooldown
Activate your rocket belt to jump up to 20 yards.

Rocket Barrage - instant - 2 min cooldown ((shared with Rocket Jump))
Fire your belt rockets at an enemy within 30 yards.

Time is money - passive
Cash in on a 1% increase to attack and casting speed.

Best Deals Anywhere - passive
Best possible gold discount, regardless of reputation.

Pack Hobgoblin - instant - 30 min cooldown
Calls in your personal servant, allowing you bank access every 30 min.

Better Living Through Chemistry - passive
Alchemy skill +15, your potions give more health/mana.

If all else fails, call someone a troll.
that can be fixed... / Æ

Last edited by Greeney, 22-Aug-2009 at 18:41.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Greeney Add Greeney to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Aug-2009 at 18:46)

After going through the descriptions you linked Lunor with the panels, I'm liking it a bit more. From the trailer it looks like the entire world is going to be rearranged, but according to those notes it's not that much (Night Elves driven out of Auberdine, Horde conquering Southshore, some changes to Desolace, Stonetalon, and the Barrens).

I also am really intrigued by one of the new areas called Uldum which is inspired by Egypt. I'm looking forward to that and the new stone cat race that lives there.

Also, the goblins are going to have some awesome racial abilities such as accessing your bank from anywhere you want! Why are they making the goblins so much better than the Worgen!?!?! It's a conspiracy!

“Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood” ~ William Shakespeare
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lilydaze Add Lilydaze to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Aug-2009 at 20:09)

www.MMO-Champion.com has new info every day, including quoting blues from around the official boards to give updates on whatever is going on and stuff. It's really a great one-stop site for WoW-news.
Enough for that plug though.

Now that I've had a little more time, I'm still not a fan of Worgen or some parts of the world being destroyed.

Heroic Deadmines and SFK (like Greeney said) is going to be fantastic, though
About time they made heroic version of old-world dungeons!

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)
(23-Aug-2009 at 04:41)

Originally Posted by MMOChampions:
Cross Server LFG
This will let you PUG 5-man instances and search for groups through multiple servers.
O_o

that can be fixed... / Æ
View Public Profile Find more posts by Greeney Add Greeney to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Aug-2009 at 11:12)
To be honest, I am going to admit to being one of these people that like the idea of the Worgen joining the Alliance. This is because I am not seeing them so much as "Worgen", but "Gildeans". The fact that we have the humans from Gilneas coming back into the Alliance is a great idea in my mind - and they obviously couldn't be normal Humans since we already have that, so the Worgen infection spreading and then getting it under control there is a theory that I like.
View Public Profile Find more posts by The Killer Add The Killer to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(23-Aug-2009 at 19:09)

k guys, lfg cross-server. i am imba rogue, lf tank, healer 2 dps. who in?

(23-Aug-2009 at 19:18)

k guys, lfg cross-server. i am imba rogue, lf tank, healer 2 dps. who in?
I can fill any of those roles (though admittedly those characters are level 70, 70 and 75, so I'm not quite there yet).

Oh and a little more Cataclysm-related: I actually think it's good we're just getting 5 levels. In fact, I think we should have *less* talent points. It's getting a little crazy in my opinion. They have to come up with all kinds of tricks, moving talents and making the last ones way more powerful than all the others to keep from everyone going half/half in two trees. I look forward to some of the redesigns.

I will say I am a little disappointed (perhaps I'm the only one) by us not having to rank up anymore every two/one level. I loved getting new powers, comparing them and seeing how much better they were. And I was always looking forward to 'level x', where I'd get an upgrade to a main nuke or a new spell or something. Now that wonder will be gone, because the spells are all just going to scale with levels. I think that's a shame.

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)

Last edited by Lunor, 23-Aug-2009 at 19:22.
WoW Moderator
Donated $22.00
(24-Aug-2009 at 13:15)

Cross server LFG is working in battle groups like the cross server BG's
Or so I read. Also, that should come with 3.3 (or was it 3.2.2?), not Cataclysm.

Worgens are alliance because they're actually humans. Just a tiny tad hairy
I'm totally rerolling a character to make a worgen (possibly warrior - still never managed to lvl a warr past 40-something)

I'm really REALLY looking forward to this new expansion, because I'm a sucker for new things - and also for old things I love that they're reviving and redoing the old world (while adding). I think it's awesome that Deathwing breaks through the world and BREAKS it! And I loe that they're finally finishing so many places that used to be nonexistant though still "kinda there", like Uldum, Grim Batol, Gilneas and Mount Hyjal.. Not to mention the Maelstrom of course.
I also hope we get to see the Emerald Dream in some way, though maybe that's the next expansion after Cat? :P

I can't WAIT!

Hmmmm... I think I need a new signature
View Public Profile Visit Sossy's homepage Find more posts by Sossy Add Sossy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(24-Aug-2009 at 19:38)

Apparently tailors, leatherworkers, blacksmithers are going to be able to change stats on what they make or something.

Quote:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm/faq/
For example, we’re considering giving tailors the ability to alter certain stats on cloth gear, letting leatherworkers alter stats on leather gear, and so on.

that can be fixed... / Æ
(06-Jan-2010 at 09:02)

I'm excited, though I will miss the way things look now, I'm excited to finally go to places I've been before and not be bored. I want to have something new flash before my eyes in places that I've already been to. I think it's going to be fun, we can't stay comfortable forever now do we.

LVL 80 Draenei Shaman
Alliance FTW!!!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Tari Add Tari to your Buddy List Reply with Quote