Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Other Games' Forums > World of Warcraft

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
WoW Moderator
Donated $22.00
(13-Dec-2008 at 22:32)

The wrath of the Lich King expansion

Anyone else thinks, that blizzard did a hell of a lot better with this expansion, compared to the first one?

I'm really enjoying the questlines, which seem a lot better thought out, with better story, and lots of clues back to the Warcraft 3 game. Not to mention great new areas and a wonderful soundtrack.

Also I'm really enjoy the new features, like the vehicle system, which is just really good fun, and the phasing, making you feel like you actually have an impact on the areas with the quests that you do.

Well, I'm pretty impressed. Also, my Frosty pet made the extra price on my Collector's Edition sooo worth it

Hmmmm... I think I need a new signature
View Public Profile Visit Sossy's homepage Find more posts by Sossy Add Sossy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Dec-2008 at 05:11)

I think this expansion is much better then BC

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Dec-2008 at 09:46)
Aye, our entire guild is with you on that, it's been discussed quite a few times.

Main things I like -

More people from the original WoW now being in Northrend (for example the commander from Westfall for the Alliance is now in Grizzly Hills).

Changing scenary - for example the Flight Paths that have to be attained through quest chains in Icecrown and Storm Peaks.

The quest to kill Thrall - On the Alliance side, this is definately my fav quest so far

Better choice of 10 man and 25 man raids depending on what your able to get together.

I am also loving getting to try and learn Naxx back in the same way our guild had to learn Kara.
View Public Profile Find more posts by The Killer Add The Killer to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(14-Dec-2008 at 14:24)

FOR BOLVAR!

*ahem*

Yeah, real beautiful stuff in Northrend. Blizz really did a great job.

........Why does the thin grey strand......Ah, you will understand;.......................I should find, for a reprimand
.......Floating up from the forgotten......When I carried my mother downstairs,.....To my gaiety, a few long grey hairs
......Cigarette between my fingers,......A few times only, at the beginning..........On the breast of my coat; and one by one
.....Why does it trouble me?.............Of her soft-foot malady,.......................I watched them float up the dark chimney.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Swifty Add Swifty to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.60
(18-Dec-2008 at 18:13)

I appreciated the quests from 70-80 a lot more...a lot less "Kill X of this mob and come back" over and over...

I can't say I'm very happy with the current endgame though. I absolutely hated Naxx at 60, so having to run the place twice every week makes me want to fly out to CA and do bad things to Blizzard

-------------------------------------
"Genius may have its limitations,
but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

-------------------------------------
View Public Profile Find more posts by Gamharlt Add Gamharlt to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Dec-2008 at 16:57)
ah, we dont really have that for our guild, I don't think anyone really went there at 60 in our guild - I know I didn't anyway. Therefore it's all new to us, and getting our way through it
View Public Profile Find more posts by The Killer Add The Killer to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
WoW Moderator
Donated $22.00
(23-Dec-2008 at 09:09)

Yeah, it's the same for my guild. Think only very few saw naxx at 60 (if any).

I'm wondering how they managed to boil it down from 40 people to 10 people though

View Public Profile Visit Sossy's homepage Find more posts by Sossy Add Sossy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(30-Dec-2008 at 08:56)

Re: The wrath of the Lich King expansion

Originally Posted by Sossy: View Post
Yeah, it's the same for my guild. Think only very few saw naxx at 60 (if any).

I'm wondering how they managed to boil it down from 40 people to 10 people though
Not really that hard, all they need to do is adjust the boss fights to work for 10 people. Everything else is there.

People, like snowflakes, are all slightly different, but we all follow the same patterns -Stewie
Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Some people are like Slinkies- absolutely useless, but always fun to push down stairs!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Azure Dragon Add Azure Dragon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Jan-2009 at 11:55)

I got bored after getting a Night Elf Rogue to 22 in just the normal WoW. Would it be worth it to get BC, and LK or am I likely to stay uninterested?

I am the darkness in your life, I am the light
I am the end of your tunnel, I am the beginning of your future
I am the end, your end. I am the path to your salvation.

Your bane, or your hope. You decide.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Brightbane Add Brightbane to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Jan-2009 at 13:32)

Originally Posted by Brightbane: View Post
I got bored after getting a Night Elf Rogue to 22 in just the normal WoW. Would it be worth it to get BC, and LK or am I likely to stay uninterested?
The quests do get better, but if you're bored at 22 there's a good chance the time and money invested won't be worth it.

Backa backa mother.....
View Public Profile Find more posts by Largoi Add Largoi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Jan-2009 at 02:48)

Originally Posted by Brightbane: View Post
You have to decide what got you bored in the first place. Maybe a different class with different professions may be better suited for you.

I wouldnt get BC or LK until you got higher anyway. One cannot get BC quests until ur 58 and LK quests when your 68 or so ive been told.

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Jan-2009 at 08:55)
I'd sat it's as Invictus says really. The game does get better as you get further in, but it all comes down to what aspect of it got you bored by 22. It also helps if you start on a server where you have got friends already, that way your not doing stuff all on your own and can chat whilst playing easily.

And yeah - TBC starts at 58, WOTLK starts at 68.
(13-Jan-2009 at 06:02)

WotLK looks great, but seeing my brother play I was sorely disappointed at the state of 'heroics' nowadays.

Anyone just arriving at level 70 with quest blues is 100% fine doing heroics, and quick aoe-style runs, too! No need for any marks, barely any need for CC, you can just do it.

And from what I hear Arena is a real gankfest now that damage outweighs healing so much. And from the little I saw of Strand of the Ancients (which, I must say, looks really marvelous) it seems to be true. My brother, as a Paladin, very nearly dying within a stunlock 1v1 is not uncommon.

I have to wonder where the challenge is. Is it only in artificially making things difficult for yourself (leaving drakes up, doing 25-man stuff with 20 people) that you can have any difficulties at all?

I'm going to play it soon (my WOTLK is in the mail...it's 2 weeks late by now =/) but I have to say I doubt I'll play it more then just for leveling the way the game looks. Leveling alone is worth the purchase + 1 month of game time, but endgame is always what WoW was the best at.

And note, I'm no 'elite' player at all. Never raided vanilla and spent half my TBC career wiping on Shade of Aran (I did eventually get several bosses down in BT pre-nerf, so I'm not a noob either). But at least we had a sense of accomplishment when we got something down. Now you can already pug the 10-man, so early into the expansion!

Blizzard did an amazing job with the looks, but I feel the gameplay is sorely lacking. Especially the lack of any pve difficulties and pvp balance whatsoever feels like a huge loss from TBC to me

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)

Last edited by Lunor, 13-Jan-2009 at 06:05.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunor Add Lunor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as DeRnhelm)
Donated $11.54
(07-Mar-2009 at 03:37)

Not too long since I dinged 80 with a DK. Had to try it. Went for some naxx 25 runs for free epix and it's not looking all that bad now.

Leveling a rogue on the side to do PvP with on level 80. After 4 years of experience, rogue PvP is the only way to go PvP-wise. Now they kickass in PvE also, since they do most aoe damage and single-target damage ^^

* As for the topics you raised...

The achievement system sucks. It's nice for actually following your progress in the game, but it's broken since it never recorded what you did long before it was implemented. For me the whole achievement system is made by Blizzard to use as an excuse for not releasing more interesting endgame content. Think about it... How long would you play an other RPG you did everything possible in?

Too many of the achievements are also waste-of-time based achievements, like going back to Molten Core or Ahn'Qiraj just to clear it for the achievement (and in the latter case a red AQ-mount).

Or the worst example, imo, the achi where you need to find books that spawn on 2-6 hour timers around Dalaran and that despawn 30 seconds after reading... For 10 achievement points, the same you get for reaching level 10.

~ŠeRn~
BTW: You Are All Buffle Headed

Last edited by DeRnhelm, 07-Mar-2009 at 03:41.
View Public Profile Find more posts by DeRn HaLL Add DeRn HaLL to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Mar-2009 at 14:29)
I've now got a lvl 80 Hunter, a lvl 80 Priest, a lvl 70 Shammy and a lvl 66 DK (leveling my DK with Swifty as he works on his mage).

I think that the majority of things so far seem good, just a lack of raids at lvl 80, so I'm looking forward to Ulduar.

As for the Achievement system, I think it has good and bad sides:

Good - I like the idea of aiming for specific things in the Heroics, for example the one in UP on the first boss where you need to get the sword to fall through the Abomination.

Bad - Waste of time ones as you say. But then again, I find these easy enough to cope with. I just don't bother with them . Not bothered with the seasonal event achievements, not bothered going back to MC, etc. It means I don't get all the titles and I won't get the special mount at the end of all the Seasonal events, but so many people will have those that I won't be that bothered. It will just mean that I am the special one with my bog-standard gryphon whilst everyone else is flying on the same colour dragon.
Global Moderator
(09-Mar-2009 at 17:14)

Can't say I really bothered with the achievements. Seemed rather useless to me. I think I was going for the world explorer one..and just got bored midway and gave up.

Ulduar sounds v cool though

........Why does the thin grey strand......Ah, you will understand;.......................I should find, for a reprimand
.......Floating up from the forgotten......When I carried my mother downstairs,.....To my gaiety, a few long grey hairs
......Cigarette between my fingers,......A few times only, at the beginning..........On the breast of my coat; and one by one
.....Why does it trouble me?.............Of her soft-foot malady,.......................I watched them float up the dark chimney.

Last edited by Swifty, 09-Mar-2009 at 17:15.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Swifty Add Swifty to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as DeRnhelm)
Donated $11.54
(10-Mar-2009 at 02:04)

I hope and think Ulduar will be a challenge. No more easy PuGs there each week, as I've heard you'll need almost full naxx gear or equivalent to cope with it.

I liked where you said that everyone is going to have all the special mounts, tabards, vanity pets etc in the end, because I think they will... Blizzard might put a high 'price' on them to begin with, but I bet they will be lowered after a while.

If people ask me if we can do an achievement on a boss I'm at, then I'm not against it. I just don't pursue it myself.

~ŠeRn~
View Public Profile Find more posts by DeRn HaLL Add DeRn HaLL to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
WoW Moderator
Donated $22.00
(11-Mar-2009 at 18:31)

Originally Posted by DeRnhelm: View Post
Or the worst example, imo, the achi where you need to find books that spawn on 2-6 hour timers around Dalaran and that despawn 30 seconds after reading... For 10 achievement points, the same you get for reaching level 10.
The books are on a 3-4 hr timer, and they're up for 3 minutes after being read.
Yes, I just finally finished it a couple days ago

Also, you get a vanity pet for it (the Kirin Tor Familiar)

I'm a bit of an achievement whore.. I think it's fun to do them, and beats farming dailies or whatever you have to do while chattin' with guildies

Please notice my title - It's the longest achievement I've done yet

I still have a lot to do, though..

(12-Mar-2009 at 01:06)

Im real close to loremaster on my priest. need abt 20 quests in icecrown to finish

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
(Posted as DeRnhelm)
Donated $11.54
(12-Mar-2009 at 01:12)

Well grats to you who care about it I did the Merrymaker title myself too so I can't say I don't understand it. My first character lacks like 500 quests for loremaster, but I'm not gonna do them

~ŠeRn~