Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Other Games' Forums > World of Warcraft

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(25-Aug-2009 at 00:29)

Achievements

Any achievements you're particularly proud of?

Perhaps there was one in which you had a special role? An achievement to remember for some reason?

Share it!

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunor Add Lunor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Aug-2009 at 00:30)

The reason I made this thread (besides hearing some stories) is, of course, because I have my own Achievement story.

It all starts when it dawned on me that with Onyxia being revamped to level 80 raid soon, this was going to be the last chance for a casual player like me to see (and kill) Onyxia. So I grabbed my recently reactivated characters and my friends' recently reactivated characters, and we went to Onyxia's lair (no more atunement required: whee!).

We had an odd pool of characters, with two people that have three characters at 60+ and three that had one (or so we thought).
The first time we took the party we thought would be most capable from the people we had online:
Level 70 Warrior (Arms) (Full epic pvp arena gear)
Level 70 Druid (Resto) (Full epic pvp arena gear)
Level 70 Hunter (Marks) (Blues and greens)
Level 80 Hunter (Beastmaster) (Half crafted epics, half quest rewards)
We decimated Onyxia, and it was easy. I was the Warrior 'tank' and my Resto friend never dropped below 90% mana.

After that, I thought we might be able to finish the task with a different setup. Some remaining characters that were perhaps less suited, a less well-rounded group. But hey, she was so easy the first time, why not try? Plus I had heard that some 70's had solo'd her, so we thought our random guys might be able to pull it off (even though we still had barely any idea about what all she did and we hadn't played these guys in about a year).
So we formed another group a few days later, today (before the reset):
Level 70 Shaman (Resto) (Full Epic from early Outland 25-mans)
Level 70 Rogue (Full Epic pvp arena gear)
Level 60 Deathknight (Unholy or Blood) (Just created, this was one of our friends which we thought had only one level 60+. He quickly leveled the DK in those few days so he could come).
This went reasonably well, but we died several times without succes. Onyxia was okay for the first phase, then she'd go up and the whelps, with no AoE from us, just took too long. The air phase without any ranged DPS or AoE is really rough. We got close to having her drop for phase 3 (40%) several times, but the DK died to any deep breath fire and me and the rogue stood little chance if we randomed into it, either. We're probably huge noobs, but that Deep Breath seemed impossible to avoid sometimes.

One of my friends then remembered that another friend had a level 72 Mage! We quickly asked him to come and he jumped at the chance. Of course we wiped right away, thinking we were going to be hot stuff now, with the Mage pulling aggro off our 'tank' Rogue, who just couldn't pull the threat nessecary to tank for a mage.
But the second time we tried (last time), was what this post is all about. We got her to the air phase and the mage AoE'd a few times, when disaster struck. Some guys came together to the mage and the fireballs, coupled with spell pushback from drake attacks and the mage getting attacked by some other drakes, caused him to die. Right before that the DK had died from some random attacks and it was me and the Rogue again. This time we finally got her to drop to 40% together, and she was on land again.
We were doing great for a while, dropping her all the way to 24% before disaster struck: The Rogue was feared into the Egg room and it spawned a bunch of the buggers. While he was trying to run back and I was running for him I got tail swiped back. By the time I reached him for a heal, he was dead.
It was me (lvl 70 Shaman) vs Onyxia ~24% + bunch of whelps.
With use of many, many water shields, tons of healing and an Earth Shock every cooldown (after surviving the whelps by keeping earth shield on myself with magma totem ticking), I survived. I think I used three heroisms, which meant I fought her alone for about half an hour.
But I did it. I killed Onyxia solo from 24% to nothing with a character that not two hours earlier had no spent talents due to the reset at the start of WotLK (last I played him? ~11 months ago).

When I got the Achievement, I was so happy! And of course, I claimed the Head of Onyxia, 56 gold and an 18 slot bag. I even got a novelty 'offhand that summons level 60 Skeleton' epic. Unfortunately everyone else thought it was a wipe after they all died, so they had released and didn't get the achievement.
I guess we'll go back to get it for the rest of them, but personally this is going to be my 'Onyxia moment'.

Plus...I finally get all those 'Onyxia Deep Breathes More' jokes. Deep Breath is a real killer!

Tomorrow we're going to try with:
Level 75 Mage (Frost) (My main, full Epic pvp arena gear (and one or two blue Northrend pieces))
Level 70 Paladin (Holy) (Quest greens)
Level 60 DK (Blood/Unholy) (same as last time)
Level 80 Hunter (Beastmaster) (A different one. We didn't use him with our last setup because we wanted to 'save' him to tank here)

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)

Last edited by Lunor, 25-Aug-2009 at 00:38.
Edit reason: Wall of text crits for 5868302398 // tldr
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunor Add Lunor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(25-Aug-2009 at 02:13)

Do you mean in-game facilitated achievements, or. Well. Achievements?

Actually. I don't care. I'll say what I want anyway.

Me and a RL friend casually play arena. Typically, we play dual DPS (boomkin/rogue) in #2s. There's been a number of games where we've faced off against the flavour of the month combos (paladins/DK's, or warrior/DK), and my partner has been caught with a lucky AoE off the bat before he can get a cyclone out. Needless to say, he's been nuked down, and I've been left to fight two of the three classes a rogue fears the most.

A month or so ago we had that very set up. Dalaran Sewers, my team mate pops his head up to cyclone while I'm behind the boxes. I make the call, but he's caught by the arms warrior on the steps. So I know shit has hit the fan. I immediately jumped onto the back of the DK rambo style, stunlock him before he can get to my druid, blind the warrior, and try give my druid some time to reopen. The warrior trinkets the blind, whirlwinds my partner and hes splat. Oh well. Now I'm facing 2 full HP cleavers in plate. Pop cloak of skill, and hope for the best. Well, "the best" was stunning play, which you'd come to expect from me. I dismantle the warrior and drop the DK like a ton of bricks. DK dies to imba rogz play, pop sprint, and run the fuck out of there. Strategically retreat (or.. hide). Bandage. Restealth. Re-open on warrior. Stunlock him to death.

Win game. Comment to my partner how he did 0 damage or healing. And stroke my throbbing E-peen. Then a month or so later, write out the account on another forum, explaining my exhilerating encounter and how he's such a good rogue.

........Why does the thin grey strand......Ah, you will understand;.......................I should find, for a reprimand
.......Floating up from the forgotten......When I carried my mother downstairs,.....To my gaiety, a few long grey hairs
......Cigarette between my fingers,......A few times only, at the beginning..........On the breast of my coat; and one by one
.....Why does it trouble me?.............Of her soft-foot malady,.......................I watched them float up the dark chimney.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Swifty Add Swifty to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $11.54
(25-Aug-2009 at 15:37)

Re: Achievements

Nice story, Lunor!
As an imbadk with good gear I can solo Onyxia, and it's fun.

I guess we all have at least one PvP story that is incredible. I know I do but I've forgotten it, as I haven't PvP'ed in a long time.

~–eRn~
BTW: You Are All Buffle Headed
View Public Profile Find more posts by DeRn HaLL Add DeRn HaLL to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Aug-2009 at 00:10)
My favourite was finding the Mine Sweeper achievement for the first time (was the first in our guild to find it and do it, was dead impressed - and yes, I'm easily amused).
View Public Profile Find more posts by The Killer Add The Killer to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Aug-2009 at 00:21)

I did the Argent Tournament quests daily. When I did Among the Champions on the mount, I finished it without healing myself with 35000 life left.

Also got the World Explorer achievement recently.

If all else fails, call someone a troll.
that can be fixed... / ∆
View Public Profile Find more posts by Greeney Add Greeney to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Oct-2009 at 02:31)

Just got Amber & Ruby Void. Now all I need is Less Rabi, Volaj's Quick Demise, A Void Dance, and Dehydration for my drake.

that can be fixed... / ∆
View Public Profile Find more posts by Greeney Add Greeney to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Oct-2009 at 09:15)

I am on 66 pets and heading for the 75.

I also have 53 or so mounts, but getting 100 seems impossible to me. You'd need millions of Champion's Seals for all those mounts, and that's just too much. I am still saving for the pony!

The easy achievements are sort of done though, which is a bit of a shame. After my Argent Tournament dailies I really don't have much to do :/

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)
(31-Oct-2009 at 22:23)

Re: Achievements

Originally Posted by Greeney: View Post
Just got Amber & Ruby Void. Now all I need is Less Rabi, Volaj's Quick Demise, A Void Dance, and Dehydration for my drake.
And got them.

that can be fixed... / ∆
(24-Apr-2010 at 22:04)
what you do with achievement points?
View Public Profile Find more posts by hazbahal Add hazbahal to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(19-Jun-2010 at 17:25)
Insane in the membrane ... because it took so long to get and i had to level a rogue for it

And the Thunderfury one because i had to kill baron Gedon so many many times for the second half of the bindings
View Public Profile Find more posts by Illy Add Illy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
(13-Sep-2010 at 07:53)
my achievement is to kill all enemies
View Public Profile Find more posts by hammery Add hammery to your Buddy List Reply with Quote