Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Other Games' Forums > World of Warcraft

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(Posted as Celtic21)
(10-Jun-2010 at 21:10)

How do I get into World of Warccraft?

I have been toying with idea lately of getting into WoW simply because I have a bit of time and cash on my hands, however everytime I go have a look-see at the website its like i have to click through 500 pages of info just to get a basic idea of how to play the game.

So anyone want to help out a n00b? Even if you just lay out the basics.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Celtic22 Add Celtic22 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(10-Jun-2010 at 21:34)

Well beyond knowing the basic controls, which is provided in the game manual, you pretty much follow the in-game "tutorial"

Learn as you go kinda

Would help if you provided more specific questions

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(10-Jun-2010 at 21:40)

If you are any kind of male, you will have played at least a handful of these games.

Use the mouse to look the right way, walk with wasd, click the buttons of abilities you want to use with the mouse or use the keyboard numbers (later on you'll learn to just use the keyboard numbers).

You should be able to download a free version from the site, where you can play the first few levels to see if you like it.

I highly suggest you ask around to see what servers some friends play on. Playing with friends is what it's all about. And you can make them...but it's easy to get started with a little help from your friends (cue music).

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunor Add Lunor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Celtic21)
(10-Jun-2010 at 22:06)

Sorry your right i should have been a bit more specific

My main RPG exp comes from playing the KOTORs and NeverWinter Nights so i have the basic idea.

However I wanted to know how playing from Ireland would affect my expierence.

Also Im more looking for PvE or RP expierence as opposed to PvP.

Unfortunately I dont know anyone who plays WoW in RL anyways so decided to come to UT looking for advice from players

Recommendations on what race/class to play would also be appreciated. I dont mind playing meat shield melee tanks or spellcasters but anything in between is kinda annoying.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Celtic22 Add Celtic22 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(10-Jun-2010 at 22:34)

I would suggest playing either a Paladin or a Druid. Both these classes can play as all three archetypes (tank, healer or dps (damage-dealer)), which will be fun for you when later on you decide what you like the best.

I started with a mage and they can only play dps. So later on when you find out no one ever needs dps but tanks are always in demand, you feel screwed. Plus when you want a change of pace you can't really mix it up.

Druids I think are the coolest because they are so different with their shapeshifting, but Paladins are an excellent choice as well.

WoW is mixed up in Europe, America and I think Asia (they also have some Oceanic servers on the America ones). So if you buy a game in the stores there, it'll be the Europe version and you should have a negligible time-difference.
Sadly I play on the US servers, otherwise I'd invite you to join me. I'm not online a lot but I have 50.000 gold laying around (~6000 will be enough for any one character to level 1-80 withut cash problems). I could give you the server name of the server my sister plays on. That's an RP server that actually has some RP. She's also pretty nice, set you up with some bags so you can lug around more vendor trash and stuff.

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)

Last edited by Lunor, 10-Jun-2010 at 22:36.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunor Add Lunor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(10-Jun-2010 at 23:48)

Re: How do I get into World of Warccraft?

Originally Posted by Celtic21: View Post
However I wanted to know how playing from Ireland would affect my expierence.
Nope there are EU servers as well as US servers. Pick a EU server so the time zones are close to yours

Quote:
Also Im more looking for PvE or RP expierence as opposed to PvP.
There are PvE, RP, and PvP servers. One can PvP on a PvE server but you have to "go" PvP.

Quote:
Unfortunately I dont know anyone who plays WoW in RL anyways so decided to come to UT looking for advice from players
neither do I. You will make friends as you play.

Quote:
Recommendations on what race/class to play would also be appreciated. I dont mind playing meat shield melee tanks or spellcasters but anything in between is kinda annoying.
Depends on what you like. Many classes and races. Each race has a small benefit. Also each character you have can have up to 2 professions.

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Jun-2010 at 01:25)

Affliction Warlock, Any type of Druid, and Retribution Paladins are very easy first classes to learn. If you need help can go on Eonar server and I'll help you when possible.

If all else fails, call someone a troll.
that can be fixed... /
View Public Profile Find more posts by Greeney Add Greeney to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(11-Jun-2010 at 01:55)

Originally Posted by Lunor: View Post
I started with a mage and they can only play dps. So later on when you find out no one ever needs dps but tanks are always in demand, you feel screwed. Plus when you want a change of pace you can't really mix it up.
This is kinda true and kinda not .. it depends really on who you play with.
My sister and brother in law has time and time again asked me to bring my mage out of retirement because they need good DPS
and while DPS has been a pain to get in to dungeons with the finder thingy made it easier .. kinda

Honestly .. pick the class you WANT to play and that you will have the most fun with.

Hunters are a good "easy" class to learn the game with. The hardest thing with them is pet control ... which you need to learn quickly .. but is common sense really ... mages are more difficult only because you can go down a few different paths with them
Druids are can be extremely fun and can fill just about any roll. To me it seemed like a good solo class with good DPS, decent tank and healing powers ... and you get animal forms that are just cool .. and useful. Used to get flight form pretty cheap compared to flying mounts but I havent played for a while so I dont know how it is now.
Each class has its own play style .. so like I said .. pick something you like to play

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(11-Jun-2010 at 04:03)

Easy:

Races don't matter. Just go with what you like the look of. I.E night elf if you want to be a bad ass Legolas (), gnomes if you want to be abused, or blood elf if you want to be called homosexual.

Alliance and Horde are practically the same, no matter what people will tell you. Some Alliance are moronic kids, as are some Horde. The only real difference is storyline, questing, zones etc.

Classes:
  • Hunters. Stupid. Avoid.
  • Mages. A lot of utility, good starter.
  • Rogue. Arguably best melee class. Not great to solo level.
  • Paladin. Face-roll. Can heal, tank or DPS. Good starter.
  • Druid. See Paladin, minus the face-roll. Good starter.
  • Warlock. Okay, I guess. Bit squishy, like mage but lacks a bit of it's utility.
  • Warrior. I suggested a RL friend use that as his starter, mainly because they're like brick walls. He got it to 80 and hated it, then rerolled druid. Then rerolled Warlock. And is back on druid. Sorta.
  • Shaman. Can cover melee/caster DPS and healer. Easy to level, but bit boring imo. Can tank/dps.
  • Priest. Can heal/caster DPS. Easy to level, fairly enjoyable imo.

You'll probably want to go to EU servers for best performances. Be wary of the allure of RPing, particularily if it's not the type you're looking for (SEXLOL). RP servers can be pretty uncompetitive PVE wise.

When I first started out I downloaded the trial version before buying. Made various classes and eventually settled on rogue (STEALTHLOL). Bought the game, rerolled and made a new rogue. And voila.

........Why does the thin grey strand......Ah, you will understand;.......................I should find, for a reprimand
.......Floating up from the forgotten......When I carried my mother downstairs,.....To my gaiety, a few long grey hairs
......Cigarette between my fingers,......A few times only, at the beginning..........On the breast of my coat; and one by one
.....Why does it trouble me?.............Of her soft-foot malady,.......................I watched them float up the dark chimney.

Last edited by Swifty, 11-Jun-2010 at 04:05.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Swifty Add Swifty to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Jun-2010 at 08:20)

Originally Posted by Saint Sinner: View Post
This is kinda true and kinda not .. it depends really on who you play with.
My sister and brother in law has time and time again asked me to bring my mage out of retirement because they need good DPS
and while DPS has been a pain to get in to dungeons with the finder thingy made it easier .. kinda
The thing is, if you had played a Druid or Paladin, you could have brought one of them out of retirement to help with the good DPS but *also* have been of help if they needed Healing or Tanking. Hybrids (those that can play more than one role) do very, very comparable dps to classes that can only dps, but have additional versatility.

@Swifty: Was about to mock you, good thing you edited

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(12-Jun-2010 at 00:41)

The thing is, if you had played a Druid or Paladin, you could have brought one of them out of retirement to help with the good DPS but *also* have been of help if they needed Healing or Tanking. Hybrids (those that can play more than one role) do very, very comparable dps to classes that can only dps, but have additional versatility.
Mage is better at DPS then Druids and isnt that comparable if built properly
In any case when you have a group looking for DPS they will look at a Mage before looking at a Druid. Druids are nice .. I have one .. but choosing a Druid over a Mage for a pure DPS role in a static PvE group seems silly if all things are equal.

Every class has its place and can be versatile in its own and any group can be successful with any combination of classes and builds as long as they have some skill.

Anyway .. we're getting off topic here ..

R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
(Posted as Celtic21)
(12-Jun-2010 at 04:27)

Thanks for all the responses. They have been very helpful

Now assuming I like the game (Ill try the trial version after the weekend) Ill obviously need to buy the basic game but how important are the expansions?
(12-Jun-2010 at 04:31)

If u like the game and want to be serious then u must have them. The expansions let you get to new zones ect and get to level 80.. Old cap was 6o.

BTW a new expantion is in the works cap will be 85

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Jun-2010 at 10:01)

Originally Posted by Celtic21: View Post
Thanks for all the responses. They have been very helpful

Now assuming I like the game (Ill try the trial version after the weekend) Ill obviously need to buy the basic game but how important are the expansions?
You do *not* need the expansion the first 58 levels of play. All you get is two new (lame) races to choose from and a new class you can't even play until you are level 55.

So the basic game will do you fine for weeks or months (depending on how fast you go through the game).

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)
Global Moderator
(12-Jun-2010 at 14:14)

Basically, the expansions are required to access the newly released content. Buying the original game is only going to give you access to the original content from years ago. That said, it should keep you occupied for long enough until you reach the level cap where the expansions are then required in order to access new content.

I'm not sure how much the box-sets cost these days to get all expansions + classic. But it may be a bit cheaper than buying them individually.

When I started out I just bought the classic, to see if I enjoyed it enough before forking out for the expansion. But I suppose you could just play the trial and see if you like that enough.

........Why does the thin grey strand......Ah, you will understand;.......................I should find, for a reprimand
.......Floating up from the forgotten......When I carried my mother downstairs,.....To my gaiety, a few long grey hairs
......Cigarette between my fingers,......A few times only, at the beginning..........On the breast of my coat; and one by one
.....Why does it trouble me?.............Of her soft-foot malady,.......................I watched them float up the dark chimney.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Swifty Add Swifty to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(13-Jun-2010 at 05:00)

You do *not* need the expansion the first 58 levels of play. All you get is two new (lame) races to choose from and a new class you can't even play until you are level 55.

So the basic game will do you fine for weeks or months (depending on how fast you go through the game).
thats 60 levels... unless I had some mystery expansion pack when I was raiding BWL, MC, Ony etc at 60

People, like snowflakes, are all slightly different, but we all follow the same patterns -Stewie
Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Some people are like Slinkies- absolutely useless, but always fun to push down stairs!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Azure Dragon Add Azure Dragon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Jun-2010 at 09:51)

Originally Posted by Azure Dragon: View Post
thats 60 levels... unless I had some mystery expansion pack when I was raiding BWL, MC, Ony etc at 60
At 58 you can go through the Dark Portal, head into Outland and start questing there. Since that is *so* much faster and better, I suggest it to any player reaching that level.

So for me, from level 58 on, you need to have the expansion

Btw Celtic the starting areas for the Draenei/Blood Elves are arguably the best in the game (since they were made with the expansion instead of the original game, so they had more experience making quests and such), so if you really like it do what Greeney said and check if you can't get a box or something.
Playing the starting area of the Draenei/Blood Elves will give you a better showing of variety of quests and such.

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)
Global Moderator
(13-Jun-2010 at 14:48)

Can't speak for BE's, but I'd be inclined not to go Draenei. Exodar is too far flung from the major Alliance questing zones, imo. Painfully boring travelling, particularily if it's your first character and you're poor. I always head towards Goldshire (even as a Draenei) as it's v central.

(13-Jun-2010 at 21:33)

Originally Posted by Swifty: View Post
Easy:

Races don't matter. Just go with what you like the look of. I.E night elf if you want to be a bad ass Legolas (), gnomes if you want to be abused, or blood elf if you want to be called homosexual.
Every race has their unique advantage, but you won't really understand how useful it is unless you've got a level 80 character.

Quote:
[*]Hunters. Stupid. Avoid.
Very easy to level, but you'll get a lot of shit for anything you do wrong.

Quote:
[*]Mages. A lot of utility, good starter.
Lots of tools to save your ass when you need, but a lot of downtime (time to rest while restoring health/mana). At level 80 they are the top damage casting class.

Quote:
[*]Rogue. Arguably best melee class. Not great to solo level.
Best damage melee class in most cases, pain in the ass to level up.

Quote:
[*]Paladin. Face-roll. Can heal, tank or DPS. Good starter.
Best all-around tanks in the game, best single target healers, always felt that making a Pally DPS was a bit of a waste though.

Quote:
[*]Druid. See Paladin, minus the face-roll. Good starter.
Druids are all around good in every way, and fun to level up and play. I don't think Druid tanks are as nice as Paladin or Warrior though if you want to go that root.

Quote:
[*]Warlock. Okay, I guess. Bit squishy, like mage but lacks a bit of it's utility.
But easy as shit to level with nearly no downtime.

Quote:
[*]Warrior. I suggested a RL friend use that as his starter, mainly because they're like brick walls. He got it to 80 and hated it, then rerolled druid. Then rerolled Warlock. And is back on druid. Sorta.
Hard to level alone as IMO. Rage can be annoying to get used to.

Quote:
[*]Shaman. Can cover melee/caster DPS and healer. Easy to level, but bit boring imo. Can tank/dps.
Heal, not tank.
Almost all raids need at least 1 shaman; always seem to be hard to find though.

Quote:
[*]Priest. Can heal/caster DPS. Easy to level, fairly enjoyable imo.
Great healing class. I heard they were very hard to level alone though until about level 40+.

Quote:
Can't speak for BE's, but I'd be inclined not to go Draenei.
Draenei - Worst starting area in WoW.
Blood Elves - Best starting area in WoW.

If all else fails, call someone a troll.
that can be fixed... /

Last edited by Greeney, 13-Jun-2010 at 21:35.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Greeney Add Greeney to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Celtic21)
(18-Jun-2010 at 12:11)

So i have been playing for a couple days now and here are my thoughts so far:

Started with a Human Mage first (I like magic ) and got my first intro into the WoW world. The help boxes were helpful, if a bit annoying. The magic was a bit underwhelming at first but this could have been cause of my inexpierence.

Got tired of dying so often at level 8 so left that character and created a new one.

Tauren Druid was next up (wanted to try out the Horde side of things) and OH MY GOD this was such an enjoyable class to play. The combination of spells/healing abilities and ability to go toe-to-toe in melee saw me running around completing quests and killing monster left, right and centre for the pure enjoyment of it.

Once I got to level 10 i decided to leave my Tauren Druid and try something else but If i end up buying the game, I may start over with a Tauren Druid.

Currently playing a Night Elf Rogue (Swifty likes it, so it must be supremely awesome ) and enjoying the pure combat side of things. At level 5 and will continue on for a bit more.

A question for Rogues: How do you use the pickpocket ability, or is it utterly pointless and I just wasted some copper pieces buying it?