Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(07-Oct-2003 at 09:45)
A challenge

A lot of these threads have something or other about proving the existence of God.

How about we start with something more basic:

Prove that YOU exist.

O, let my land be wher Liberty
Is crowned in no false patriotic wreath
But opportunity is real, and life is free
Equality is in the air we breathe
-Langston Hughes, Let America be America Again
View Public Profile Find more posts by Zfalcon Add Zfalcon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(07-Oct-2003 at 10:07)
Re: A challenge

Quote:
(Originally posted by Zfalcon)
Prove that YOU exist.
I write therefore I am.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bernel Add Bernel to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Pelayo)
(User is Banned)
(07-Oct-2003 at 10:57)
Quote:
(Originally posted by Bernel)

I write therefore I am.
I eat therefore I am!

back to topic:

I think therefore I am!

Maybe I'm a real person maybe I'm some software who achieved awereness.

I think we all have come to the conclusion that people exist. (I feel them touching the keyboard)

usually people write things and post it on the internet.
No other events have been usually observed to place stuff on the internet.
Therefore it is likelly that it was a person writting on his computer that placed this message here.

"The supreme victory is to win without doing battle."- Sun Tzu
"Even if all the experts agreed they might still be wrong!"-so say the experts
"A wise man is impartial but not neutral a fool is neutral but not impartial."-don't know who said it
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mr Xens Add Mr Xens to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(07-Oct-2003 at 11:26)
Quote:
(Originally posted by Pelayo)

I eat therefore I am!
Perhaps, but as long as you remain anonymous you can't prove that to anyone else here.
Quote:
I think therefore I am!
But then some of the posters doesn't appear to think very much. They do write however.

Quote:
Maybe I'm a real person maybe I'm some software who achieved awereness.
Whether you are a human, a clever chimp or an AI in a computer, you do exist, and that was all that was asked.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bernel Add Bernel to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(07-Oct-2003 at 13:21)

I may not be anything real our anything tangible. FOr all we know we are a thought or a dream or even just a random moment of unexpected alignment of atoms. even if i am nothing we know of i still exist as i am percieved and percieve. Without either of these things you cannot be sure of your exhistance. As long as we are aware of self and others are aware of you then you can be certain that on some level at least you exhist even if it is as something you do not know yourself to be.

-:knowledge is meerly a degree of how strongly you belive something, if you know something then you believe it to be true beyond all doubt:-
View Public Profile Find more posts by Enderwig Add Enderwig to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $5.32
(07-Oct-2003 at 16:10)

Quote:

I write therefore I am.
*applauds*

Perfect Bernel.

-For those who fight all over the world.. fight for peace, fight for freedom, and fight for their lives..
Will someone please give Bush a BJ already so we can start the Impeachment?
View Public Profile Visit muirgein's homepage Find more posts by muirgein Add muirgein to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(07-Oct-2003 at 17:29)
Perhaps I should have phrased the question more clearly. Prove to me that you exist.

It is obvious to me that I exist because I couldn't be observing anything otherwise, the hard part is proving it to anyone else. Can you prove that you are anything more than a figment of my imagination?

View Public Profile Find more posts by Zfalcon Add Zfalcon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(07-Oct-2003 at 17:37)

Quote:

Perhaps I should have phrased the question more clearly. Prove to me that you exist.

It is obvious to me that I exist because I couldn't be observing anything otherwise, the hard part is proving it to anyone else. Can you prove that you are anything more than a figment of my imagination?
no, not even if we met. It is totaly impossible to be ABSOLUTELY (were talking enourmusly) sure that anyone but yourself exists.

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $5.32
(07-Oct-2003 at 17:39)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Nimon)

no, not even if we met. It is totaly impossible to be ABSOLUTELY (were talking enourmusly) sure that anyone but yourself exists.
Its true.

We could be locked up in a mental ward somewhere with severe schizophrenia.

-For those who fight all over the world.. fight for peace, fight for freedom, and fight for their lives..
View Public Profile Visit muirgein's homepage Find more posts by muirgein Add muirgein to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(07-Oct-2003 at 19:20)

Ah. They have become self aware...DIE HUMANS!!!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Shades Add Shades to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(07-Oct-2003 at 23:01)
Quote:
Prove that YOU exist.
I am. I do not need to justify my existence or prove it. I am. I won't try to prove to you that I exist. I don't need your approval of my existance to be perfectly content in knowing that I exist. Since you do not conclusively exist, your opinion does not matter.

Deliverance | IRC: #deliverance

Why should I blame her that she filled my day/With misery, or that she would of late/Have taught ignorant men most violent ways
View Public Profile Find more posts by Brend Add Brend to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Old ZRG
(07-Oct-2003 at 23:39)
i don't have to prove that i exist to you because you don't exist, none of you do. i'm using occam's razor to say that i'm the only thing that really exists, and that everything else is just a very vivid illusion

Last edited by ZRG, 07-Oct-2003 at 23:40.
View Public Profile Find more posts by ZRG Add ZRG to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Oct-2003 at 04:17)

Well, I'm writing this, and I know I am...But if you're reading this, either this is someone that isn't me, it's me, or it's a figment of your imagination. And even if I'm a figment of your imagination, I obviously have just as much freewill as you, whether or not I'm taking it from you. So even if I only exist in your mind, I exist.

Belief, "faith" if you will, is pointless unless founded by fact, and once founded by fact no longer becomes belief. - Lunar2
I'm not a hero, I'm not a saviour - Forget what you know - I'm just a man whose circustances went beyond his control.
Welcome to Tycho-Magnetic Anamoly One.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nazka Add Nazka to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Oct-2003 at 04:59)

Quote:
(Originally posted by muirgein)

Its true.

god that is one of the sickest fates I've ever heard.

But If I didn't really exist why would my mind poise me this question?

militant Liberal Christian..funny string of words I got there
"when life gives you Lemons eat them whole..Peal and all"
-the great Ipoc
UNITE! SPARK THE FIRE!
View Public Profile Find more posts by jahwarrior Add jahwarrior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Oct-2003 at 05:40)

Ouch. So you're suggesting that it's possible that I exist (which I know is true), but all you people that I'm talking to over the 'net are just a big, complex computer program, and everybody walking around outside is just a big robot?

The person who can prove that somebody else exists is gonna be the next big philosopher, up there with the likes of Descartes, Plato, Nietzsche, and others.

In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
-Douglas Adams
View Public Profile Find more posts by Erik64 Add Erik64 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
(08-Oct-2003 at 05:55)

Descartes went on to prove that everyone else exists already...

If you see the light at the end of the tunnel, then you passed the test.
View Public Profile Visit Cloud Strife's homepage Find more posts by Cloud Strife Add Cloud Strife to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Oct-2003 at 06:02)
Quote:
(Originally posted by muirgein)

Its true.

Isn't it scary?

Quote:
(Originally posted by Brend) I am. I do not need to justify my existence or prove it. I am. I won't try to prove to you that I exist. I don't need your approval of my existance to be perfectly content in knowing that I exist. Since you do not conclusively exist, your opinion does not matter.
That is exactly my point. My challenge is more of a captious matter than anything else. I'm justing pointing out that it is quite silly to try to get people to prove God's existence to someone else when proving one's own existence to someone else is impossible to do conclusively.

Quote:
(Originally posted by Brend)
Well, I'm writing this, and I know I am...But if you're reading this, either this is someone that isn't me, it's me, or it's a figment of your imagination. And even if I'm a figment of your imagination, I obviously have just as much freewill as you, whether or not I'm taking it from you. So even if I only exist in your mind, I exist.
You have only prove you exist as much as the weird monsters in dreams and the unicorns and dragons and myths of the imagination. Existing as an idea can hardly be called real existence... Or can it? That's another interesting question, but I digress.

Truly I believe that we all actually do exist, but it isn't something that can be proven. All systems of logic, reason, and proof are based on certain axioms or postulates that are not proven and are not deductible except through circular logic. They just have to be acccepted as truth on faith.

(08-Oct-2003 at 07:24)

I think Descartes only proved that he existed. Unless he went on further with that to prove that others existed...I heard he went off a ways with the whole "I doubt, therefore I am" and did a bunch of other stuff with it.

But whatever he did with it, I'm not familiar with any of it.

In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
-Douglas Adams
View Public Profile Find more posts by Erik64 Add Erik64 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Oct-2003 at 08:10)
Quote:
That is exactly my point. My challenge is more of a captious matter than anything else. I'm justing pointing out that it is quite silly to try to get people to prove God's existence to someone else when proving one's own existence to someone else is impossible to do conclusively.
Generally when people talk about proof of God's existence they ask for scientific, not philisophical evidence. In science it is assumed that reality around us exist more or less as our senses report it, and science never has strict proofs, only mathematics has that. So the question could be "prove that God exist to the same level of certainty we have that gravity exist".
Donated $5.32
(08-Oct-2003 at 14:27)

Quote:

Generally when people talk about proof of God's existence they ask for scientific, not philisophical evidence. In science it is assumed that reality around us exist more or less as our senses report it, and science never has strict proofs, only mathematics has that. So the question could be "prove that God exist to the same level of certainty we have that gravity exist".
Great post Bernel.