Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Discussions > Alliances Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(08-Jan-2004 at 03:33)

Why do you play utopia?

I'm just sitting here taking a break from work (designing an online ordering system) musing over the reasons why i play Utopia. Admittedly (and i know a lot of people have said this in the past) it's no longer for the game itself. Not to say i don't enjoy playing the game, but if it was *just* the game that was holding me here - i would have left after ages 12-16.

No, most of the reason why i still play is because of the friends ive made in the KD i'm in, and because of the friends i've made in the alliance world along the way, whether that be within the alliance i am a part of, or other alliances. Having said that, i've probably met a few hundred odd people who've passed through my KD or have interacted with my Kingdom since age 8, and a thousand odd people who ive met through alliances. So the friends ive made through alliance have formed the larger bulk of my friendships and you could assume would form the 'greater' part of the reason why i still play.

My question then is, *if* mehul made alliances outlawed in the game - would *you* still be playing?

And stemming from the automatic assumption of that question - could it be said that alliances will never be outlawed from Utopia and a further assumption, that alliances can therefore never be killed - because of the number of people that continue to play because of their existence?

A lot of assumptions mind you - but im really after people's opinions whether they agree or not, but also in regards to whether they'd still play if alliances were no longer around. (and yes i also realise feedback is biased simply for the fact this is brought up in 'Alliance Discussions')

regards,
Gid.

the darkest paths are those untrodden.
High Templar (Public Relations)
Order of Avalon
Official Order of Avalon UT Spokesperson
View Public Profile Visit gideon OA's homepage Find more posts by gideon OA Add gideon OA to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Jan-2004 at 03:42)

I was kicked from my alliance (for good reason of course) and i'm still playing.

So, yeah, I would still play if not for alliances. But you must keep in mind that even if "organized" alliances were somehow halted, everyone has made friends that will still stand by them.

I must agree though that it does become to be about the friends you have made and not about the game.

As soon as my kingdom stops worshipping me, I'll probably quit. Until then, Queen Daisy lives!!!

DISCLAIMER: Daisy will not be responsible for any posts made or conversations held while she is intoxicated.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Daisy Add Daisy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Old CPL
(Posted as blazinbala)
(08-Jan-2004 at 04:00)
good question...

Polo says chesterfield not couch

Last edited by CPL, 08-Jan-2004 at 04:07.
View Public Profile Find more posts by CPL Add CPL to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Old CPL
(Posted as blazinbala)
(08-Jan-2004 at 04:03)
there is no way alliances could no exist all you have to do to have an alliance is to know people and have them on your icq list, could be 10 peoples could be 80 but no matter what whether kds tag or not alliances will always be around
but good points, alliances do bring a another level to the game and if it wasnt for alliances i would have left ages ago. i find that the more active players play in alliances because they need more to do

Polo says chesterfield not couch
View Public Profile Find more posts by CPL Add CPL to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Jan-2004 at 04:16)

I still like playin the game, and I like the social aspect.

King of the LuNaTiCs

ex-CAT leader, ex-OA member, BoD Elder (Ex-Chief Monarch), ex-SoS Monarch, current V3 Monarch
View Public Profile Visit Almighty Lutan's homepage Find more posts by Almighty Lutan Add Almighty Lutan to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $5.00
(08-Jan-2004 at 04:16)
Well, I am obviously in no alliance, so the only thing I can really say is based on a little past experience with alliances, and with friends.

I first started playing somewhere between ages 4 and 7 (I think it was 4), and when I played, I was part of a very good kingdom. The kingdom had a very tight bond and welcomed me with open arms, even though I knew little of the game at that time (yes, I did use a rambow strat, yes, I did go with almost no defense, yes, I also had 40% farms, and 15% draft, ah..the bliss of ignorance).

At the end of that age, I lost those friends, they were my vesry best friends. I ended up in a totally different kingdom, I felt disappointed, I didn't know what to do, so I quit. I quit for about 10 ages

When I started back at age 16, I was in a KLA kingdom, very luckily. OUr kingdom was very glorious, though we did little more than explore. We grew together, had fun, and had our avid gamers site with a very neat setup.

Next age, regardless of efforts to cowardly stay out of BF (Something that RwC loves to do), we eventually ended up there. When we went to BF, we had a very nasty age. What happened at the very hard times? We had a queen that threatened alliance intervention on the kingdom, before defecting after she was gangbanged in a war, and from then, the entire kingdom fell apart, those that stayed in the kingdom got brutally beaten by the other kingdom, since there was no surrendering.

So what lesson did I learn from this? Friends are really not worth playing for. It is best to stick to the kingdom, as you will not always have those friends, but to never get too attached. While you are there, however, you should make the best of it.

I am nto saying this for or against alliances, just that from my experience so many friends should not motivate you into playing.

"God does not play dice" -- Albert Einstein
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Hawk Add Lord Hawk to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Lord Snow LL)
Research Group
(08-Jan-2004 at 04:20)

I'd probably still play but the social part is a MAJOR thing for me...

"Someday someone will best me. But it will not be you and it will not be today."
"Few who say nothing are silent."
Every fool knows you can't touch the stars but it doesn't stop a wise man from trying.
View Public Profile Find more posts by L0rd Snow Add L0rd Snow to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Lord Blackthorn)
(08-Jan-2004 at 04:38)

I dont even know why Im playing now.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $14.28
(08-Jan-2004 at 04:42)

I don't know why I play really, I just play because it's something else to take up 20 minutes of my day.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Tack Add Tack to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Donated $41.00
(08-Jan-2004 at 04:59)

lightbulb

You do realise what they say about assuming right? TO assume is to make and ass out of me and you.
No, I do not believe that it is right to assume Alliances will never be rid of for we do not know Mehul's plans for the game. We do know he has made it clear that he does not like Alliances and there have been suggestions to rid Utopia of Alliances in any way, shape or form from the game, but Mehul has said the disadvantages were too high.. Something I disagree with personally. I would be willing to lose contact within the walls of Utopia with other people. Many have threatened Mehul with mass boycotts because of changes he has made to the game. Mehul has always stated that they are free to leave and he doesnt really care cause more people will join. Even people who left because of Alliance pressure may return. So while there may be a temporary drop in the amount of players, it will not be a long term problem. Also money is not an issue either.

However, I am not looking to rid Alliances from the world. Well just the Utopian one, inside the servers. You can still talk to all the people you like, but I just want a Utopia where everyone is equal, they have only their Kingdom for immediate supports. Asking for CBs or if they get suicided on they cant spread it to the 400 ICQ contacts they have or if someone attacks them once to get all their multi provinces or friends to attack this target or retal.

If I was still Anti-Alliance/Alliance I would of course still play because I started playing because of the game and not some alliance. I would hope that if alliances were ever outlawed people would respect that and still play the game, the thing they originally set out to do.

BUD LIGHT
145847903/Davevalek/Insanity
I am one of a kind, the only one you'll find. I am me and nothing else...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Valek Add Valek to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.80
(08-Jan-2004 at 06:07)

Yes, I'd still play utopia, but for me it would be greatly deminished, maybe after a few ages Id get bored.

Lets look at it like this, Im in a pretty active KD so I do know quite a few of the 25 people, thats still only a max of 25 people I see on a daily basis while an alliance gives me access too hundreds of people all playing the game and spamming their asses off.

So, yeah but it wouldn't be as good.

Signature suspended by Brother Nazgul for violating the forum's rules.
Why should we allow your signature to have a height of 80 pixels, and force everyone else to go with 60?
Because I've got a fucking cute ass? I've seen better. -Valek
View Public Profile Visit Silver Fox's homepage Find more posts by Silver Fox Add Silver Fox to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Jan-2004 at 06:10)
No alliances for me and my kingdom. We have always been about proving what we can do ourselves and when we do lose we remember and we get revenge later.
View Public Profile Find more posts by streetacez Add streetacez to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.80
(08-Jan-2004 at 06:13)

Quote:
(Originally posted by streetacez)

No alliances for me and my kingdom. We have always been about proving what we can do ourselves and when we do lose we remember and we get revenge later.
Sounds ingenius, you mean you dont have an alliance GB people?

I have a new god.

PS. That smiley should be eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Signature suspended by Brother Nazgul for violating the forum's rules.
Why should we allow your signature to have a height of 80 pixels, and force everyone else to go with 60?
Because I've got a fucking cute ass? I've seen better. -Valek
View Public Profile Visit Silver Fox's homepage Find more posts by Silver Fox Add Silver Fox to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Hunter ASY)
(08-Jan-2004 at 07:47)

NEVER

what do u think i play this game for

the sheer enjoyment factor

pity the poor soul who would play wifout alliances

~KFC IS GOOD~

---------------------

Self Confessed Nubcaek

---------------------
View Public Profile Visit HunterCondor's homepage Find more posts by HunterCondor Add HunterCondor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Jan-2004 at 07:56)
I would still play. Not involved in anything alliance so it wouldn't bother me either way
View Public Profile Find more posts by HungryHuntsman Add HungryHuntsman to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Jan-2004 at 08:16)

There isnt much i can say in the way of response to this thread regarding what people have said simply because, as requested - everyone posted their points of view, and while all divergent in the responses themselves, at least im happier having read what others have had to say... so thanks to those who responded for taking the time out to post their thoughts

the darkest paths are those untrodden.
High Templar (Public Relations)
Order of Avalon
Official Order of Avalon UT Spokesperson
View Public Profile Visit gideon OA's homepage Find more posts by gideon OA Add gideon OA to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Kaer Maxi)
(08-Jan-2004 at 11:58)
Quote:
(Originally posted by Lord Hawk)

Next age, regardless of efforts to cowardly stay out of BF (Something that RwC loves to do), we eventually ended up there.
Oh boy get your facts straight will ya...

the last age we got on WoL was cause of deffections and defecting people. Not cause we wanted too. Since then we stayed on BF cause we got a core group of 23 players. This age we are also on BF Hawky but try to keep this in the other threads k and lets not spam this 1.

And yup I would still play even without alliances. The people I met so far I will keep in contact with with or without a TAG. and my KD mates are friends and only for them I would stick around even if I dont like the game for a time or something...
View Public Profile Find more posts by maximouse Add maximouse to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Pegster NI)
(08-Jan-2004 at 12:22)
If alliances were banned, that would mean almost nothing.
It is impossible to remove them anyway, so the question isn't really one that is possible to answer.
Because people would still have friends, and icq lists.

And even if alliances were banned, people would still talk to their former alliance friends, now just normal friends.

Look at VAT.
the alliance is dead, but the irc channel still lives.
People wouldn't ditch all their friends, so it wouldn't really mean anything.

I myself would doubtlessly continue playing, as I'm too addicted I quit once and came back after one day:P

Pegster- Vanquisher of animals, wrestler of humans and succumber to high heels!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Pegster Add Pegster to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Jan-2004 at 14:04)

Actually, it's a rather trivial matter from a tech perspective to make alliances nearly impossible to interact in game.. It would also make it very tough on single kingdoms to target share as well, so Mehul doesn't do it..

As for making it illegal in the rules?? I know a fairly large group that would quit playing.. Me included..

This sword here at my side doesnít act the way it should : It keeps calling me itís master, but I feel like itís slave
View Public Profile Find more posts by Feydakin Add Feydakin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Jan-2004 at 16:19)

Alliances will always exist. You may be able to outlaw tags, but you can not outlaw the fact that people know people who do not play in their kingdoms.

A group of RL friends playing utopia (in different kingdoms) is in fact as much as an alliance as for instance NI is.

The question is therefor irrelevant, yet utopian. For it may be an ideal world for some The most cynical thing of all, is the whining about a concept that is called utopia. Utopia can not exist if it is whined about.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Piraatje Add Piraatje to your Buddy List Reply with Quote