Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(Posted as derskine)
(29-Oct-2003 at 16:45)

A question for atheist;

A question for atheist;
To what extent have atheist contributed to society?
Throughout our history religious groups have set up organizations for the betterment of mankind; Hospitals, for the sick and infirm, soup kitchens and shelters, for the homeless, treatment centers for the alcohol and drug addicted.
Have atheist done the same?
View Public Profile Find more posts by PatrioticSpirit Add PatrioticSpirit to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Oct-2003 at 16:50)

but you seem to ferget the fact that religion has caused hundreds of years of wars, endless pain and suffering, constant hypocracy, slavery (to an extent) etc.
But a lot of scientists have been atheists who have done good things for the betterment of humankind...ppl who know me would think me to be the last person to talk about the beterment of mankind but i jsut answered a question, how i feel about humanity is irrelevant

Official #la drunken bum and gun-nut
Ladies, does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
To Naz "Nacho, nacho man I've got to be, a nacho man Nacho, nacho man"
I don't respect your beliefs and I don't care if you're offended. Cheers.
View Public Profile Visit Antikristuseke's homepage Find more posts by Antikristuseke Add Antikristuseke to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Oct-2003 at 17:07)
Carl Sagan comes to mind. I realize he never contributed anything to society but I know he was an atheist.

Thomas Paine comes to mind but for the life of me I can't remember what he did.

Thomas Edison was an atheist as well but he only invented the lightbulb, phonograph and movie projector but I don't really think those count as contributions.
View Public Profile Find more posts by organism Add organism to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Oct-2003 at 17:40)

Well, I personally have donated blood on a great many times, I've helped feed the homeless in a soup kitchen, tonight for instance I'm going to go help out the boys and girls club. I'm Athiest, and I've done plenty.

I like to think of it more as which side has contributed more harm? Athiests haven't done that many harmful things in history, whereas christians and various christian organizations have done plleeeeenty.

Normally, I defend Christians in their choice, but if you're going to spout hateful garbage like this thread, I will have no choice but to defend the Athiests.

Sygnalor the Accountinator
Able to file 1040's faster than a speeding bullet
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sygnal Add Sygnal to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as LusoSkav)
(29-Oct-2003 at 17:51)

Re: A question for atheist;

Quote:
(Originally posted by derskine)

A question for atheist;
Throughout our history religious groups have set up organizations for the betterment of mankind; Hospitals, for the sick and infirm, soup kitchens and shelters, for the homeless, treatment centers for the alcohol and drug addicted.
And what about all the bad stuff organized religion has done?
More ppl were killed in religious wars then the others, infact, about just every war was caused by religion.
thousands of ppl were killed by the hands of religious military forces, and other hundreds tortured, exiled and other cruel things...
And get this: Atheism is NOT a religion, therefore should not be recognised as some kind of organized corporation or something..

I'll stop thinking with my dick when you stop fucking with my head.
View Public Profile Visit Luso Skav's homepage Find more posts by Luso Skav Add Luso Skav to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
(29-Oct-2003 at 18:23)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Sygnal)

Well, I personally have donated blood on a great many times, I've helped feed the homeless in a soup kitchen, tonight for instance I'm going to go help out the boys and girls club. I'm Athiest, and I've done plenty.

I like to think of it more as which side has contributed more harm? Athiests haven't done that many harmful things in history, whereas christians and various christian organizations have done plleeeeenty.

Normally, I defend Christians in their choice, but if you're going to spout hateful garbage like this thread, I will have no choice but to defend the Athiests.
I saw nothing hateful in his post.

He was simply asking a question. His post never insulted atheists or implied any ill will.

If you see the light at the end of the tunnel, then you passed the test.
View Public Profile Visit Cloud Strife's homepage Find more posts by Cloud Strife Add Cloud Strife to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Oct-2003 at 18:27)

The message implies that Athiests are useless and that they don't do anything remotely humanitarian. I, as well as a lot of other Athiests I imagine, would take offense from that.

View Public Profile Find more posts by Sygnal Add Sygnal to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Oct-2003 at 18:32)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Sygnal)

The message implies that Athiests are useless and that they don't do anything remotely humanitarian. I, as well as a lot of other Athiests I imagine, would take offense from that.
i certainly take offense considering i can come up with hundreds of unhumanitarian things that religions have done AND ARE STILL DOING...points to middle east conflict alone...

"What is crueler? To let a wound of the heart fester, or to simply cut it out?"
View Public Profile Find more posts by Evil Tidings Add Evil Tidings to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $2.56
(29-Oct-2003 at 19:55)

So what if we say things that offend you atheists? it's not like you have some god that will come deviler his wrath upon us. You'd have to come do something yourself and I would just kick you in hte nuts
View Public Profile Find more posts by Ictous Add Ictous to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Oct-2003 at 21:17)

I'd have to deem you an uncouth person, then. If you're going to insult someone, fine, but at least do it with class, instead of blatant crap like this thread that escapes being an open flame by the narrowest of margins. Even the militant anti-christians don't make toughtless accusations like this thread, they at least find a point of contention that actually exists.

(29-Oct-2003 at 22:10)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Ictous)

So what if we say things that offend you atheists? it's not like you have some god that will come deviler his wrath upon us. You'd have to come do something yourself and I would just kick you in hte nuts
So it's not okay for me to ridicule Christians, because I'll be smote by their God or something, but it's okay for Christians to ridicule Athiests, because we don't believe we have an all-powerful spirit to beat up anyone we don't like?

Yeah...Okay...

Belief, "faith" if you will, is pointless unless founded by fact, and once founded by fact no longer becomes belief. - Lunar2
I'm not a hero, I'm not a saviour - Forget what you know - I'm just a man whose circustances went beyond his control.
Welcome to Tycho-Magnetic Anamoly One.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nazka Add Nazka to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Oct-2003 at 23:06)

ok how did religion cause all these things they would have mosly likely happened any ways.

so what you're saying is that religion put hate in the hearts of men

militant Liberal Christian..funny string of words I got there
"when life gives you Lemons eat them whole..Peal and all"
-the great Ipoc
UNITE! SPARK THE FIRE!
View Public Profile Find more posts by jahwarrior Add jahwarrior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as marsii)
(29-Oct-2003 at 23:50)

Quote:

Yeah, that seems like a sheeps response.

Mars II - American Scientist
PhD - Physical Chemistry
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mars II Add Mars II to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as The Blue Sage)
Donated $7.44
(30-Oct-2003 at 00:22)

Quote:
so what you're saying is that religion put hate in the hearts of men
are you saying it hasn't?

well, to be fair, its more or less men who have corrupted the basic messages of all religions that has put hate in our hearts...

but religion is indirectly responsible, yes

The less popular Sage
Really...most people forget who I am
But I was here first, damn it!

Willing to sell my soul for a Klondike Bar
View Public Profile Visit The Other Sage's homepage Find more posts by The Other Sage Add The Other Sage to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Oct-2003 at 00:43)

Why does everyone think that being an athiest makes you a more evil person, or that you are incapable of doing good? Its really sad that you feel setting up hospitals and soup kitchens can atone for years of war, corrupt policies, degredation, falsisms, and supression. Religion is a powerful tool that men can bend to their will. Depending on the man it can be very good. Or very evil. When you speculate on many of the conflicts that still go on today, the peoples religious beliefs always come front and center. Religion is not bad in itself, but what it is used to say and communicate to its devotees is wrong.

"Give me chastity and continence, but not yet." Saint Augustine // "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo Galilei
View Public Profile Find more posts by gotred Add gotred to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Donthommo)
(30-Oct-2003 at 01:02)
thats not really much of a question, many people have have helped soicety in different ways.

Not all athiest are anarchists who hate everything and hate religion.

Im an athiest but i think religion is good in many ways for helping people and giving the hope and faith in things.

I dont abstain from helping people because i think its a religious thing.
View Public Profile Find more posts by EternalPride Add EternalPride to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as RavEMasteR)
(User is Banned)
(30-Oct-2003 at 01:53)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Antikristuseke)

but you seem to ferget the fact that religion has caused hundreds of years of wars, endless pain and suffering, constant hypocracy, slavery (to an extent) etc.
But a lot of scientists have been atheists who have done good things for the betterment of humankind...ppl who know me would think me to be the last person to talk about the beterment of mankind but i jsut answered a question, how i feel about humanity is irrelevant
Yeap, I'd agree with you. Atheist scientists certainly have done more in contribution to humanity when compared to those religious freaks who do nothing but sit their arse in church preaching.

To say that Atheists have done nothing in contribution would be absolute bullshit.

Religion is the mental disease of the masses.
"Once again, religion is like sniffing gasoline. Both cause permanant brain damage." -- Obsidian
View Public Profile Find more posts by dothackRAVE Add dothackRAVE to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Oct-2003 at 02:34)

Quote:

A question for atheist;
Religion has also been responsible for heinous acts, such as the Inquisition, and the loss of centuries of knowledge when the Crusaders (and later the Turks) sacked Jerusalem and all the centuries when the near-facist Papacy was in charge of the the schools and universities, which delayed many possible innovations that would otherwise have been put to immediate use. Most of the organizations you mentioned have little or no focus on religion; they could have easily been started by atheists. Frankly, I'm glad that the church doesn't have the power that it once did.

Quote:
(Originally posted by organism)

Thomas Paine comes to mind but for the life of me I can't remember what he did.
His pamphlet Common Sense inspired the Founding Fathers to declare independence from Britain. I'd say that was a large contribution, but I live in the US, so of course I would.

Quote:
(Originally posted by Icotus)

So you're saying that I can't insult you because you have a divine mafia man backing you up, but you're are free to say and do whatever you want to me because I have no such protection? Enjoy your Inquisition. By the way, I'd have to say that you're a double standard-making, Bible-thumping fool for saying that.

Fallen Christian
Think before thy message is posted!
"Hellooooo! Brain stem!" -Dogbert
View Public Profile Find more posts by Cognus Add Cognus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Ascended Elan)
Donated $47.44
(30-Oct-2003 at 02:54)

Quote:

A question for atheist;
Actually, we do all those things you say. We just aren't organized, so we don't take all the names. As for hospitals; well, I am sure Atheists have donated money to such projects (I personally have only enough to donate to the Red Cross and Salvation Army, and to give blood when I can), but Atheists don't plaster their names all over things like Christians do.

Quote:

In response to this, I have to say that I would hate for your god to deviler his wrath upon us. I'd hate even more for you to kick me in hte nuts. Of course, I am not sure how one devilers something (do you put devil horns on them when they're sleeping?), or what "hte" means, but, hey, I'm just an Atheist, not a brilliant, divine inspired Christian person such as yourself.

In the words of Maddox, "Argh, go fuck yerself."

Last edited by Elan Morin, 30-Oct-2003 at 02:57.
View Public Profile Visit Elan SsM's homepage Find more posts by Elan SsM Add Elan SsM to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $32.64
(30-Oct-2003 at 03:16)

Quote:

So what if we say things that offend you atheists? it's not like you have some god that will come deviler his wrath upon us. You'd have to come do something yourself and I would just kick you in the nuts

HAHAHA, I personally am not offended by derskine's ignorance, and others shouldn't be either. But we don't expect a god to deliver a wrath, we do it ourselves. If someone insults me or hurts me, I have no problem with shooting their face off, cause im not going to hell if I do that, im going 6 feet under like everyone else. You are the ones who are like 'Oh, you hurt me, god will have revenge on you my friend', but the jokes on you at the end , cause if you don't do something, then no imaginary supreme being is gonna be there to make sure I get punished.

Anyway, atheists aren't bad people because we don't believe in god. We still help people, we still go out of our way to ensure that peopel are better off, just as many religous people don't do anything to help others. Sure, there is no official atheist help group, as we never gather in places all the time like other groups. Just because we aren't told to do something in Church doesn't mean that we don't do it.

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

The only reason we die, is because we accept it as an inevitability
View Public Profile Find more posts by Phased Add Phased to your Buddy List Reply with Quote