Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(08-Feb-2003 at 05:36)
Question for the board regarding a belief in a higher power...

What I suppose I'm wondering is, if you believe in a higher power and you do not subscribe to a certain religion, what type of higher power do you believe in?

Is it some sort of concious being? Is it merely a force?

Do you believe solely in science? Do you believe that there was a sort of "force" or "power" behind evolution/the formation of the universe.

I use the word "believe" because I "believe" that you cannot know anything for certain, and thus would like to keep things in the context that things discussed here are beliefs that, while possibly rooted in fact, are things that we cannot truly "know."

While Christians, Moslems, or members of various other religions are open to share their beliefs, I'm specifically asking those who believe in a higher power separate from an established religion of today. Every one is free to comment, however, and I would rather hope this occurs.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Ashnod Add Ashnod to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Feb-2003 at 05:44)
Huh? All those other religions just NAME the higher power/force and have rules to follow....at least that's how I put it...
View Public Profile Find more posts by toasted Add toasted to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Feb-2003 at 05:48)
Quote:
(Originally posted by toasted)

Huh? All those other religions just NAME the higher power/force and have rules to follow....at least that's how I put it...
A higher power does not necessarily need to be a conscious being, which is what most theists believe. My question goes beyond the bounds of those ideas.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Ashnod Add Ashnod to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Feb-2003 at 06:17)
i bleve in the posibility of a higher force i dont beleve that one reliagion is the right one and all others go to hell for not bleveing a certin way
View Public Profile Find more posts by King Alucard Add King Alucard to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Feb-2003 at 06:18)

Ever wonder that most of the world's major religions believe in one omnipotent higher power? God, Allah, Buddha (in a sense)... it all seems pretty much the same to me!

I guess the higher being I believe in is more of a force then anything. It's what created life, the universe, everything; and it's what makes everything do what it does.
View Public Profile Find more posts by toolg Add toolg to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Feb-2003 at 07:06)
Quote:
(Originally posted by toolg)
Ever wonder that most of the world's major religions believe in one omnipotent higher power? God, Allah, Buddha (in a sense)... it all seems pretty much the same to me!
at least they claim taht in the past they had proof of some kind, it seems to me (and no offense is intended) that your belief is one you merely plucked from thin air, perhaps you shold take a closer look a the established religions before you say they're all the same, they're not
View Public Profile Find more posts by Legant Add Legant to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Feb-2003 at 07:13)

But they are.
Most of them even have the same origins.

(Catholicism and Protestantism were one and the same for the entire first millenium)

Just because a religion is 'established' does not mean there is any proof for it.

In fact, NO religion provides ANY proof of the existance of God. Their only argument is "you can't prove he doesn't exist".

"America was designed by genuises so that it could be operated by idiots."
View Public Profile Visit DavidFF7's homepage Find more posts by DavidFF7 Add DavidFF7 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote