Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Media Mania > TV Shows Reviews and Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average
(Posted as Starfriend)
Global Moderator
Donated $27.58
(23-Dec-2006 at 04:58)

[2006] The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Genre: Animation, Sci-Fi

Plot: On the first day of high school a beautiful girl named Haruhi Suzumiya introduces herself as having "no interest in ordinary humans". She asks for any aliens, time travelers, sliders or espers to join her. Watching her weird behaviour is Kyon a boy who sits in front of Haruhi and is the only person who talks to her. Commenting on Haruhi's joining every club in school and then quitting Kyon unwittingly gives Haruhi an idea to start her own after school club. Thereafter Kyon and several others find themselves literally dragged into the Save our world by Overloading it with fun Suzumiya Haruhi's Brigade (the SOS Brigade for short).

Actors:
Aya Hirano .... Haruhi Suzumiya (14 episodes, 2006)
Minori Chihara .... Yuki Nagato (unknown episodes)
Yuko Goto .... Mikuru Asahira (unknown episodes)
Natsuko Kuwatani .... Ryoko Asakura (unknown episodes)
Tomokazu Sugita .... Kyon (unknown episodes)

TV.com link:
http://www.tv.com/the-melancholy-of-...5/summary.html

IMDB link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816407/
View Public Profile Find more posts by Konc Add Konc to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $4.64
(23-Dec-2006 at 05:04)

Well this series is absolute GOLD. There's so much to say about it. If there are any anime fans out there who have yet to watch this, I highly recommend you do so. It's a must watch. There's a reason it's the top series in Japan right now.

The story is brilliant, the animation is wonderful (as expected of Kyoto Animation), and the characters, while stereotypes, are vivid and so easy to fall in love with.

For all you North Americans, I loathe you lots, because of this:

http://asosbrigade.com/

What does ASOS Brigade stand for? The American SOS Brigade of course <_<.

Originally Posted by http://asosbrigade.com:
Speaking of which, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in North America is being released by Kadokawa Pictures USA and distributed by Bandai Entertainment.
Yes, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has been licensed for North America. You'll be getting the DVDs. I have to wait patiently for the Region 4 release.
View Public Profile Find more posts by CloudHeartsMeli Add CloudHeartsMeli to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Jarlaxle Baenre)
(23-Dec-2006 at 05:26)

I'll top your DVD release with the completely unsourced, but genuine (I can't remember the exact URL, and it's not officially announced, but there are dozens of people decoding this) news: Season 2 is coming~!

Haruhi is <3. The show and the character.

The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi is coming!

Love~

Rumours of my demise are greatly exaggerated
Do the impossible
See the invisible
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER
View Public Profile Visit Eltargrim's homepage Find more posts by Eltargrim Add Eltargrim to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $4.64
(23-Dec-2006 at 06:41)

Re: [2006] The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle Baenre: View Post
I'll top your DVD release with the completely unsourced, but genuine (I can't remember the exact URL, and it's not officially announced, but there are dozens of people decoding this) news: Season 2 is coming~!
This is a glorious choir melody to my ears. <3

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya? That implies book 4 onwards. Yipee.

I hope Kyoto Animation is doing it. I don't know if I could stand anyone else animating it. We'll see.

But yay!
View Public Profile Find more posts by CloudHeartsMeli Add CloudHeartsMeli to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
Donated $2.44
(23-Dec-2006 at 14:49)

It is hard to believe that the manga version of this wasn't that popular. This is series 1 of i think 12 series was it? Well anyway, i will be having high expectations for series 2.
Although it is different from an conventional anime, you can tell right from the start it is chaotic, it does settle down with the main story line, and the sheer originality of it all sets it apart from alot of other anime these days.
View Public Profile Find more posts by NeoDeGenero Add NeoDeGenero to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Dec-2006 at 16:02)

I love it. Watched it all in only a few days

5, because it really is Excellent!
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $4.64
(26-Dec-2006 at 22:33)

Re: [2006] The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle Baenre: View Post
I found it.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/20061109

but most of us can't speak Japanese, so:

http://kurogane.animeblogger.net/200...d-season-news/

Yay!
(05-Jan-2007 at 23:28)

A definitly refreshing anime show, but can get kind of confusing really fast. I identify with Kyon at those points. 9/10

This too will pass
View Public Profile Find more posts by Samurai Pooh Add Samurai Pooh to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $0.60
(17-Jan-2007 at 11:29)

The series began weird, be warned. But when you watch 2nd episode, you start to grasp idea bit. But show is very unlike common animations, due story telling and pace is very different from regular story telling.

I like Kyon and Haruhi characters and I would like to see continuation. Second series or OVA.

However this series is not for everyone. But those who understant the show and idea behind it, love it ^^

Generalization is rhetorics of simpletons.
"Sages learn from history... idiots learn from experience" -Fairy Tail manga
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Menchalior Add Lord Menchalior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(17-Jan-2007 at 12:07)

Quote:
The series began weird, be warned. But when you watch 2nd episode, you start to grasp idea bit. But show is very unlike common animations, due story telling and pace is very different from regular story telling.
Which order do you mean?
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $4.64
(23-Jan-2007 at 01:24)

I'm thinking he means the broadcast order. If you watch it in chronological order, then you get the proper story in the beginning, followed by little slice of life episodes. I think mixing up the order was good, so the audience alternated between the main story and some lighter episodes.