Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Temple > General Site Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(09-Oct-2009 at 19:05)

Reduce / Eliminate Thread Expiration?

This is a just a suggestion from someone who wishes to reply to many old threads without contacting a moderator every time I want to post.

Mostly I play mafia on these forums but there are times I do post in other areas such as RGD, LA, or the polls forum. When I have extra time on my hands, I enjoy looking through older threads. I find many of these topics really interesting but cannot post a reply to them because they are locked (due to being inactive for at least 6 months).

I feel that if the amount of time for thread expiration were reduced in the very least, old conversations might be revived which would lead to more activity. An argument could be made that if no one has participated in that particular discussion in 6 months than everyone has said what they wanted to about that topic so there is no reason to keep it open. However, some members may not have been around when that thread was created and active. And furthermore multiple threads for the same topic are discouraged (and rightly so), thus I feel the conversations should ideally all be open-ended to promote continual discussion.

“Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood” ~ William Shakespeare
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lilydaze Add Lilydaze to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(16-Oct-2009 at 23:57)

Re: Reduce / Eliminate Thread Expiration?

Originally Posted by Lilydaze: View Post
This is a just a suggestion from someone who wishes to reply to many old threads without contacting a moderator every time I want to post.

Mostly I play mafia on these forums but there are times I do post in other areas such as RGD, LA, or the polls forum. When I have extra time on my hands, I enjoy looking through older threads. I find many of these topics really interesting but cannot post a reply to them because they are locked (due to being inactive for at least 6 months).

I feel that if the amount of time for thread expiration were reduced in the very least, old conversations might be revived which would lead to more activity. An argument could be made that if no one has participated in that particular discussion in 6 months than everyone has said what they wanted to about that topic so there is no reason to keep it open. However, some members may not have been around when that thread was created and active. And furthermore multiple threads for the same topic are discouraged (and rightly so), thus I feel the conversations should ideally all be open-ended to promote continual discussion.
We used to have a system that had no time limit, and if you can guess we implemented a system for various reasons

Old conversations that have died really have very little chance of being revived .. usually because the people that started those conversations have moved on or in another way no longer active enough at the site

As for mutiple threads of the same topic, we discourage multiple active threads, if you feel a topic could benefit from your input feel free to make a new thread with a link to the old thread. Just keep in mind the rules and try to post something with substance.
Simply stating that you agree with a post that was made 3 years ago isnt needed and a bit pointless

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote