Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(Posted as Lord Drizzt)
Donated $2.20
(04-Sep-2002 at 14:35)

What's Wrong With The US?

seriously, can all you us haters tell me what you hate about the united states? because whatever you've told me arent good enough to be reasons.

s o u l f i r e
View Public Profile Find more posts by Drizzt Add Drizzt to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Sep-2002 at 14:41)
BUSH IS THE PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!! HE HAS THE IQ OF A FREAKING FLY! and:

- you cant drink till 21
- you cant blow
- people are prudish
- bunch of other reasons, forgot them
View Public Profile Find more posts by Embden Add Embden to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Sep-2002 at 17:17)
you entire culture is annoying

I mean you get law suites left and right "you bumped into me! im gonna sue you for 50K$ DOLLARS!"

I mean beside you goverment and your being nosy in international agenda

the people there are stupid
everything has to do with civil rights

even a country like israel isnt as messed up as yours
(culture wise)( )

you should take a step back loose your pride
and sit down
be quiet
stop making all the noise

I feel like putting a bullet through the head of every panda who wouldnt screw to save it's own species

DRUNKEST guy in BB<---any mod mind putting this in nice colours? (actually we do mind, so do it yourself / Naz)
View Public Profile Visit nimrod's homepage Find more posts by nimrod Add nimrod to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Old VVV
(04-Sep-2002 at 17:36)
basically, america and their politicians.

They are mostly arrogant, contradictory and ignorant of international affairs (being aware and not giving a toss is the same really)

For instance. Their steel agenda and their agenda for the following WTO meeting. On the one side they say.. WE NEED PROTECTION FROM FOREIGN COMPETITION (i.e. justified by restructuring which other countries have gone through without increasing barriers to trade and now reaping the benefits from... but no, the US is special and get special treatment of course). Then the agenda where they make and choose targets for agricultural trade, i.e. an area where they are less protectionists than other countries, now here it is fair of course to bring everyone down to their levels IN THE NAME OF MORE LIBERAL TRADE.

Just to name one recent event really.

Then the President. No matter what you say, Clinton was competent and did a good job. Why everyone was so fussed about lewinsky is beyond me, he's only a man after all.

Then you choose to elect Bush *given Gore wasn't any better*. Ignorant of foreign affairs, greatly influenced by his dads advisors and lucky that 9/11 happened so he can blame every deficiency in his policies on it.

I know a number of nice americans... talk to them regularly and the like. But as a nation... well arrogance and double standards are the rule really. Somehow they manage to be more self centered than a significant number of other countries.

The war... war is expensive and with a trade deficit like that ... i don't know, but it strikes me as a bad idea. And now he wants to go into iraq. Talk about putting pressure on something thats already at its limit. Like anywhere else in life, put someone in a position where they got nothing to loose and all hell can break loose.

I also have to agree with the law suits attitude. From over here it looks like any judge with commen sense would tell you to bugger off if you complain about your own stupidity and want it to be someone elses fault.

Last edited by VVV, 04-Sep-2002 at 17:38.
View Public Profile Find more posts by VVV Add VVV to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Spleaf OOC)
(04-Sep-2002 at 17:45)
What's wrong with the US?

I am a US citizen, and live in Philadelphia.. but lets face it.. our country needs a major attitude adjustment.

We have kids killing each other at school and in the streets over drugs. We have teenagers dying in drunk driving accidents. We have some of the most uncultured citizens in the world. We have the highest percentage of rape cases in the world.

We may be the richest country in the world, but that does not make us the best. Plenty of other countries have universal health care systems.. lower crime rates, less drug usage, and probably most important in the long run, students who pay attention in school.

I love the US, and the freedoms we stand for, but where are those freedoms when you can't walk outside in some areas for fear of being shot in a driveby? Where is your first amendment right when you are lying on the ground bleeding of a gunshot wound because someone didn't agree with you?

I am the first to say that the US is a great country, but I am realistic and know that we have MANY problems that need to be addressed.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spleaf OA Add Spleaf OA to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Sep-2002 at 18:28)

careless hmm, where to begin ?

America .. a country that's so dualistic in nature that it becomes hard to file a full list of complaints..

on one hand, they like to be seen as the protectors of the free world, of justice and morals..

on the other hand, those morals , justice, or other countrys rights are trampled whenever it suits US policys, national borders are now not safe from US 'intervention', and the lives the population loses are casually dismissed as either propaganda or 'acceptable' losses.

even in the US itself you have a BIG distinction between a resident of Belle Vue or the Bronx... if your nation would have a better system for looking out for the ones who have no hope, you might actually start winning one war, potentially th most important one.. it would take away a lot of cropped up resentment and random violence!
there will allways be drugsdealers.. but when more people have a social patern thats more humane, less people will feel drawn towards crack.

then we have the selfcenteredness on global trade.. onesided taxraises, while expecting foreign gouverments to accept favourable deals for the US is naive.. short term gain for long term loss.. not only financially but also 'publicity' wise, as more ppl are being hurt by US 'deals'..

then we have the US' apparent lack of willingness to tackle some of the bigger issues of our time, like enviromental dangers, children's rights (which the US of A still has not ratified) prohibition on the use of landmines, and so on.

then there is the right they think to have of determining who should have acces to weapons of mass destruction. I do not feel that ANY nation should have these, but since the US of A and every other power in the world has them, it seems to me that the reluctance in allowing an islamic nation from owning them is more out of a fear that the leaders would actually have to sit down and TALK with them instead of issue demands and edicts..

I am not generalizing the population with this post, I KNOW lots of wellmeaning ppl exist on every side of every border.. but your leadership sux (for everyone but an American of middle class and up)

Glory to the Brave!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mardoek Add Mardoek to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Sep-2002 at 22:34)

exclamation mark Oh, boy. It's going to be a long thread...

As many problems as are listed above, their is a twofold number of virtues. I know of what all you are talking about. I can even sympithise. But I have to say how over exagerated your complaints are. Do any of you (excludeing Spleif) live in the US? Just because your local news station proclames the problems dosn't mean that their aren't plenty of sucesses. Yes, America has problems; yes, we need to fix some things; but I don't see the reason behind all of this bashing. Some people say that it is because John Q. Public dosen't care anymore, but isn't that true everywhere?

America has made mystakes, fouled up, done wrong, but that is FAR outweighed by the good it has done. America is an experement, in both culture and government. Just like anything, it's like a pendulium. It swings toward regulation one year, deregulation the next.

I would like to remind you also that there is NO saintly nation. America may have had a rough start, but don't forget about the French Revoultion, the Boxer Rebellon, the Crusades. Everyone makes mystakes. As the bible says, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Feel free to jump in at any time Azn!)

-Spike, Command Sergeant Major of the UT Army

"See you space cowboy."

Resist the Evil Wintel Empire! Run Mac or Linix!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spike Spiegel Add Spike Spiegel to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Sep-2002 at 23:09)

everybody hates the countries that out grow them. i'll spare you the american patriotism (though a few lines might get through). we have a few flaws, that could be an understatement...you decide, the trade deficit is huge and we should stop giving shit to other countries that play nice to our face yet bitch and moan at us because they couldn't do it themselves. as a nation we're overwieght...i blame the asian countries for making all those cool gaming systems, we wouldn't all be fat if they hadn't made those (that was a joke so don't take it seriously). we're not that dumb, we have the best universities in the world. after we built the biggest military in the world we are used to peace, which is why we're still crying over that...i still can't believe we can't move. our press sucks big time. i go to commondreams.org to get some decent news about the stuff in iraq (war iraq? we're already attacking from the air). politicans are bastards and always have been, but we're not the only country so no one really can complain about it. our arrogance is just a myth, because we think your arrogant too which i know isn't true...everyone is arrogant and brags. i think that it's resentment for being so young and getting so far. we have one bad leader and then the antagonists come out of the woodwork. i want to see another FDR or George Washington...i need to see a god damn leader! but we have bush who treats the white house like a vacation home! he doesn't even have good speeches which presidents are pretty good at if they want to stay there..."a crusade against terrorism"...YOU IDIOT!! how could you say that? now every middle eastern country thinks we're going after them...because they think that america hates all muslims...not true. i could make fun of france easily for almost electing the candidate that lost to Chiraq. i can't remember his name but i don't want to...he would have been worse than bush.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Acworth Add Acworth to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Sep-2002 at 23:19)
The US problems is that, although they preach for democracy and democratic values in the world, their own attitude within the world is more of the "we do what we want because we are stronger"

In other words, within the group of nations that compose the world, they do no act democratically. The US actions affect nearly every country in the world although nearly none of these countries could say a word about it.

Add to it the relation the US people have with money and this kind of compassionate attitude they have toward poor countries.

Add to it the way they regard themselves as being on higher moral grounds.

Add to it the high value they put to their own lives in comparison of the value they put to other countries people life.

This doesn't look like a very democratic and equality value based country in respect to other countries.
View Public Profile Find more posts by KashKosh Add KashKosh to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Sep-2002 at 23:42)

Just to get things straight, the USA is a
Represitive Repulblic. Not that voids your point. Even so, I don't see that attitude. I am a citizen of the USA, and we (generally) think about all the other countries before we make an opinion. Remember, your group is the very same one that is lobbying for the US to stop making all of your decisions. On the other hand, countries ask for our aid whenever they can, and complain when we say that were broke.

The US can't support the world without being the world. Everyone should be able to support themselves. This doesn't mean that I oppose aid to forign nations, but it means that you shouldn't complain when we tell you how to use our money.

Almost all of the statements that are, and will be posted here will be sweeping generalizations. Let's keep that in mind.

-Spike, Command Sergeant Major of the UT Army

"See you space cowboy."

Resist the Evil Wintel Empire! Run Mac or Linix!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spike Spiegel Add Spike Spiegel to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.52
(05-Sep-2002 at 00:08)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Embden)

BUSH IS THE PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!! HE HAS THE IQ OF A FREAKING FLY! and:

- you cant drink till 21
- you cant blow
- people are prudish
- bunch of other reasons, forgot them
So you hate all Americans because of 1 person wrongly elected, we have a higher drinking age, and people are 'prudish'?? That's all bull. You just can't think of a justified reason to hate americans.

Quote:
you entire culture is annoying

I mean you get law suites left and right "you bumped into me! im gonna sue you for 50K$ DOLLARS!"
WE allow law suits to be filed, but that doesn't mean it will even make it to the courts on account of a mistrial.
Quote:
I mean beside you goverment and your being nosy in international agenda
So you hate American culture because our goverment speaks in foregin affars??
Quote:
the people there are stupid
...Nim, for that you have lost all respect I have ever had for you.
Quote:
everything has to do with civil rights
Like what?
Quote:
even a country like israel isnt as messed up as yours
(culture wise)( )
Exactly how is our culture messed up?
Quote:
you should take a step back loose your pride
and sit down
be quiet
stop making all the noise
So you basically believe that all Americans, no matter who they are all have the same opinions, are stupid, and should all go to hell?? And what do you have to back that up?? Accusations with no real backings, govermental actions which the people have no control over, and because we have looser laws in some areas?

Quote:
basically, america and their politicians.

They are mostly arrogant, contradictory and ignorant of international affairs (being aware and not giving a toss is the same really)
So you are basing the whole attitude and beliefs of a nation of people based on goverment actions which the people have no real control over??
Quote:
For instance. Their steel agenda and their agenda for the following WTO meeting. On the one side they say.. WE NEED PROTECTION FROM FOREIGN COMPETITION (i.e. justified by restructuring which other countries have gone through without increasing barriers to trade and now reaping the benefits from... but no, the US is special and get special treatment of course). Then the agenda where they make and choose targets for agricultural trade, i.e. an area where they are less protectionists than other countries, now here it is fair of course to bring everyone down to their levels IN THE NAME OF MORE LIBERAL TRADE.
So your basing your hate on america on the fact that SOME American buisnesses are losing out to foreign trade and are getting pissed at it, so are breathing down the goverment's neck to do something about it?? And that's how you judge a nation of people? By what a small percentage think, and govermental reactions?
Quote:
Just to name one recent event really.

Then the President. No matter what you say, Clinton was competent and did a good job. Why everyone was so fussed about lewinsky is beyond me, he's only a man after all.
Bush was unjustly elected. He used powers of influence with his big corporations in his back pocket, and is now controled by them. The majority didn;t elect him, so stop blamming all Americans for Bush.
Quote:
Then you choose to elect Bush *given Gore wasn't any better*. Ignorant of foreign affairs, greatly influenced by his dads advisors and lucky that 9/11 happened so he can blame every deficiency in his policies on it.
Actually, the popular vote in the republican primaries was on the side of the other candidate. bush pulled strings and got himself into the running against Gore, then pulled even more and won.

And, how were the voters to know he was going to do the things he did? All countries have had bad leaders... I'm sure your country has too. No country is perfect.
Quote:
I know a number of nice americans... talk to them regularly and the like. But as a nation... well arrogance and double standards are the rule really. Somehow they manage to be more self centered than a significant number of other countries.
So concern about personal profit, private enterprise, and concern for our economy is basically evil?
Quote:
The war... war is expensive and with a trade deficit like that ... i don't know, but it strikes me as a bad idea. And now he wants to go into iraq. Talk about putting pressure on something thats already at its limit. Like anywhere else in life, put someone in a position where they got nothing to loose and all hell can break loose.
The public doesn't want the war... so stop blamming the American public for it. We have no control over it.
Quote:
I also have to agree with the law suits attitude. From over here it looks like any judge with commen sense would tell you to bugger off if you complain about your own stupidity and want it to be someone elses fault
...Those absurd suits rarely even get a chance to be heard in court... so what are you wining about?

Quote:
The US problems is that, although they preach for democracy and democratic values in the world, their own attitude within the world is more of the "we do what we want because we are stronger"
a) we're a reperesentative republic
b) the american public rarely ever gets a direct say in politics or govermental decisions
Quote:
In other words, within the group of nations that compose the world, they do no act democratically. The US actions affect nearly every country in the world although nearly none of these countries could say a word about it.
Again, representative republic.
Quote:
Add to it the relation the US people have with money and this kind of compassionate attitude they have toward poor countries.
So us giving aid to other countries is bad??
Quote:
Add to it the way they regard themselves as being on higher moral grounds.
No, the american citizens don't... that's more of a generalization based on Bush.
Quote:
Add to it the high value they put to their own lives in comparison of the value they put to other countries people life.
Every country does that. The death of one citizen will be handeled more carefully than that of another.
Quote:
This doesn't look like a very democratic and equality value based country in respect to other countries.
...Representative republic, and generalizations based on a single person...

In brightest day, in blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil's might, Beware my power, Green Lantern's Light
Slave of Justara
Home~The Gaming Universe~Forums
View Public Profile Visit AznBlade's homepage Find more posts by AznBlade Add AznBlade to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Sep-2002 at 01:06)
The previous post shows clearly that the U.S are far from being a functioning democracy.
View Public Profile Find more posts by KashKosh Add KashKosh to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.52
(05-Sep-2002 at 01:14)

The previous post shows that KashKosh is either a gigantic moron or can't read.

Again- America is not a democracy, but a representative republic.

In brightest day, in blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil's might, Beware my power, Green Lantern's Light
Slave of Justara
Home~The Gaming Universe~Forums
View Public Profile Visit AznBlade's homepage Find more posts by AznBlade Add AznBlade to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Sep-2002 at 01:28)

it's about time someone actually stood up for america...but i have a huge problem with our politics which most people share. bush sucks and the same goes to gore...let's not forget that "lock box" speech. i wonder what mccain would have been like if he had beaten out bush? we just lack leaders.

everyone who says they hate america has never been to america...maybe you went to New York City or Atlanta, somewhere on the east coast. but there is no way you can see america the way we live it. arrogance i can deal with, europeans have more of it since they tend to look down on america a lot. if it makes you happy we could all VOTE to stop foreign aid, we seem to like it a lot so you can still send things to us and help your business. sooner or later the E.P.A will have to back out and let us drill in alaska, we wouldn't need foreign countries so much.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Acworth Add Acworth to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Sep-2002 at 01:28)
Azn, you are saying yourself that what the administration does and the way it behaves doesn't represent the view of the American people. Therefore, the actions of the administration are, consequently, not democratic.

As for insulting me by calling me a moron from behind your computer screen just because you don;t agree with me, this is one more proof of your american arrogance.

In many countries, people would never insult others even on internet, just because they don't agree.
(05-Sep-2002 at 01:34)

Im from Australia and I dont think America is that bad, nearly every aspect of our lives is influenced by American culture. We watch american tv shows, american movies, we buy american brands. America is a valuable ally and i dont see how it matters to most people what goes on there. If you dont like America you dont have to live there but the least you can do is stop whinging about them because of percieved injusticed and then begging them for help when youre own country screws something up.

t:|
Disturbed - Prayer
Trapped in your mind and the sound is deafening
View Public Profile Find more posts by Disturb3d Add Disturb3d to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Sep-2002 at 01:35)

what the hell are you talking about?! everyone insults somebody on the internet! do you think everyone but americans are saints? don't be so...o i can't say it or it would be un-worldly.
(05-Sep-2002 at 01:43)

Post again when you learn hos to read, I said that other countrys screw things up all the time. I dont think anybody's a saint, least of all you.

Ya Tool

Disturbed - Prayer
View Public Profile Find more posts by Disturb3d Add Disturb3d to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Sep-2002 at 01:45)

i was talking to KashKosh. we posted at the same time.
(05-Sep-2002 at 01:47)

Well then I apologise and take back everything I said about you.

whoops

Disturbed - Prayer