Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Temple > General Site Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(23-Oct-2008 at 07:38)

UT is dying

As with Utopia, UT is dying a slow death. The days of 500 posts a day are long gone and the way I see it there are about 200 truly active folks here. My numbers could be way off here but this is not the point. The point is its dying.

This is my only forum site I use. Why I am still not sure but I am here. What are we goning to do to make things at UT more active?

Depending on Utopia is not the answer and attemps at other game platforms are only helping a small bit.

So what do you all think?

What is there that can be done?

“Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything, tolerance is for the weak and oppressed"
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bierkrug Add Bierkrug to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Oct-2008 at 08:42)

Not posting threads like this one helps, for they only make people go 'meh' and leave.

Other than that, not a whole lot we can do.

Modern world I'm not pleased to meet you

You just bring me down
View Public Profile Find more posts by Caelis666 Add Caelis666 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Oct-2008 at 08:51)

Re: UT is dying

Originally Posted by Bierkrug: View Post
What is there that can be done?
The big man and i have been having this talk for a long time, the problem is none of us really know why we are still here, except, that is, because of the friendships we have formed. So, its not the actual content anymore, is it? Think about it, seriously, we are not even close to the same person we were 3-6 years ago when we were drawn to UT. So, evidently, if UT had stayed the same (which it did for a solid 4 years or so iirc) we would've all 'out grown' it, for lack of a better word. That stuff is fun when you are in the *initiation* phase of a forum. We don't have a new user base, so there is no n00bs to initiate and us oldies grew tired of playing by ourselves (yes even me, who's postal address was the GWN thread). The issue with the on-going phase of a forum is that we have no core anymore, Utopia was the core of UT and it's barely active (afaik, anyways) and GD and Mafia are great, but hardly a core. With movie and book discussions, religion and mafia, we are just a scattered forum, there is nothing to draw people to us, or even encourage people to stay. Even I have felt a much lesser urge to frequent UT, which is sad. But y'all know I'm a trooper and I'll fight tooth and nail for the friendships I have through UT.

So, that was a fun ramble. The point is we need something to attract people, focus and something to keep people. What, I cannot answer. I try, though. And will continue. As BG knows.

INSANE CUBE FISH™
This is the clock up on the wall/This is the story of us all/This is the first sound of a new born child before he starts to crawl
This is the war that's never won/This is the soldier and his gun/This is the mother waiting by the phone praying for her son
View Public Profile Find more posts by Miss AmyQ Add Miss AmyQ to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Oct-2008 at 08:56)

I think the issue is there is nothing we can really focus on. We would have to pick some area of interest, and for it to help a fair-sized number of us have to be interested in it, and those that aren't can't feel alienated or they will leave (and I would prefer to keep our current members over getting new ones, given the choice).

So it's a tricky situation. One thing we could do is go and recruit from other forums. Join other forums, like Mafiascum (as in mafia forums, not mafiascum itself coz that wouldnt work) then make friends with members and be like "hey come to UT" and then they will come, realise it is better and stay. But that is slightly unethical, and it doesn't address the root problem of not having a focus.

------------

heh... "Come for the Mafia, stay for the Asylum"

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Oct-2008 at 09:40)

Originally Posted by Caelis666: View Post
Not posting threads like this one helps, for they only make people go 'meh' and leave.

Caelis, you can do better than that. There are answers to this of course and not addressing them will not help.

“Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything, tolerance is for the weak and oppressed"
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bierkrug Add Bierkrug to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Oct-2008 at 10:11)

Originally Posted by Bierkrug: View Post
Caelis, you can do better than that. There are answers to this of course and not addressing them will not help.
You know, I'm quite the webaholic. I've seen a lot of sites and forums come and go. A succesful forum is always build around an external object. It gains momentum as the object increases in popularity. While forums which circle around movies or music or some other stable object have a relatively good chance of surviving a very long time, depending on the forum management, forums which are build around hypes or at least temporary objects lose their momentum when their object decreases in popularity. Forums with a decreasing popularity are only revivable by a re-recognition of the original object. People don't get originally attracted by a community, they get attracted by the object that defines the forum.

Their are two ways to possibly increase the popularity of utopiatemple:
1. Increase the popularity of utopia. Obviously this is impossible for us.
2. Focus on another external object. This does not mean something like opening a new part of the forum for something like World of Warcraft. People who want a forum to post about World of Warcraft will search for a WoW forum, not for a forum that allows posting about WoW. So this option would mean ditching utopia as the central object of the site. In essence, it would mean starting an entirely new forum. I don't see this happening either.

Ergo, we can do nothing.

Modern world I'm not pleased to meet you

You just bring me down
View Public Profile Find more posts by Caelis666 Add Caelis666 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Administrator
(23-Oct-2008 at 11:06)

exclamation mark Partnerships

In order to bring new blood, I was thinking of forming a partnership of some kind with another forum, more or less our size and/or activity. Both forums will benefit from the stream of new users.

Advocatus has sent me a list of 5 potential forums, but before I contact their administrators I want to hear your opinions and ideas on what this partnership should include, etc. One idea that comes in mind is a quick registration process for the users of the other forums.

Brother Green, Utopia Angel creator.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Brother Green Add Brother Green to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Oct-2008 at 11:29)

Re: Partnerships

Originally Posted by Brother Green: View Post
In order to bring new blood, I was thinking of forming a partnership of some kind with another forum, more or less our size and/or activity. Both forums will benefit from the stream of new users.

Advocatus has sent me a list of 5 potential forums, but before I contact their administrators I want to hear your opinions and ideas on what this partnership should include, etc. One idea that comes in mind is a quick registration process for the users of the other forums.
Are you goint to make a thread to ask for our opinions or should we spew them here?
Because this thread, especially with the title, isn't really what I want to head for when we're talking about new plans for UT

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)

Last edited by Lunor, 23-Oct-2008 at 11:29.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunor Add Lunor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as DeRnhelm)
Donated $11.54
(23-Oct-2008 at 13:52)

Well, this was a gaming-website after all. It's easy to forget that Utopia was one of the biggest mmos out there. So if we try to merge our mafia / random chit-chat / wow / media section we actually have quite a lot to offer new ones.

Personally I'm probably gonna flee to swtor, the new StarWars mmo

also, this doesn't quite do the trick I think:

Quote:

I can't see many reasons as to why we should remain blind or apathetic to the fact that UT is, in fact, dying. The slow death of utopia and the way people have moved to forums where they can express themselves a bit more have been reducing the amount of stress on this forum.

~ŠeRn~
BTW: You Are All Buffle Headed

Last edited by DeRnhelm, 23-Oct-2008 at 13:56.
View Public Profile Find more posts by DeRn HaLL Add DeRn HaLL to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Indutiomarus)
(24-Oct-2008 at 12:14)

Would the idea of having all that download Angle register maybe help? It might entice them to post. Their are always 10 to 15 non members reading the forms all the time.

Maybe if they were registered they would post.

Global Moderator
Donated $27.58
(24-Oct-2008 at 12:36)

Or it'd make one person register and download updates, and everyone he knew would get them from him.

"If You Fall, I’ll Be There"
-– Floor

View Public Profile Find more posts by Konc Add Konc to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(24-Oct-2008 at 16:40)

Originally Posted by Konc: View Post
Or it'd make one person register and download updates, and everyone he knew would get them from him.
Hey, at least that would be one more registered user than we have now...

Anyway I think it's a pretty good idea. With everyone signing up to download it they might as well just take a look at the forums. Maybe they'll see something interesting and drop a post in.
And then come back to see if there's replies. And then stay because we're awesome.

I like the idea, Indutiomarus.

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)

Last edited by Lunor, 24-Oct-2008 at 16:42.
Edit reason: Wow, I just realised Indutiomarus is Bierkrug. That was weird. Change avatar OR username, not both at the same time! =|
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunor Add Lunor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Administrator
(25-Oct-2008 at 16:15)

lightbulb Re: UT is dying

Originally Posted by Lunor: View Post
Hey, at least that would be one more registered user than we have now...

Anyway I think it's a pretty good idea. With everyone signing up to download it they might as well just take a look at the forums. Maybe they'll see something interesting and drop a post in.
And then come back to see if there's replies. And then stay because we're awesome.

I like the idea, Indutiomarus.
We have no plans requiring users to register in order to download Utopia Angel.

If you want them to register to post in the forum, make the forum attractive enough for them to register on their free will.

Brother Green, Utopia Angel creator.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Brother Green Add Brother Green to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Post has been warned)
(25-Oct-2008 at 22:11)

We have no plans requiring users to register in order to download Utopia Angel.

If you want them to register to post in the forum, make the forum attractive enough for them to register on their free will.
We try, but every time we do/post/play/have something fun, some tight ass mod ([cough]SF[/cough]) comes and locks it, hence, spoiling our fun. If threads like king of the hill and stuff werent closed at random, maybe this place would still be fun and carefree, and hell we could all do with some fun and carefreeness in our lives!

Interesting side note: The letters "s" and "f" dont actually stand for anything, now do they?

INSANE CUBE FISH™
This is the clock up on the wall/This is the story of us all/This is the first sound of a new born child before he starts to crawl
This is the war that's never won/This is the soldier and his gun/This is the mother waiting by the phone praying for her son
View Public Profile Find more posts by Miss AmyQ Add Miss AmyQ to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Oct-2008 at 23:19)

...If you want them to register to post in the forum...
That's not my rule
I don't think 'guest' accounts are allowed here, right (that's a serious question: it's been a while since I created an account, maybe I'm wrong)?

I just think it'd be a good idea. It takes away one hurdle that may prevent people from posting (having to go through the registration process before being able to post your (spur of the moment or otherwise) comment).

But I guess it wouldn't help *that* much. If people really want to post, they already will. I was just thinking 'every little bit helps' and approaching it that way.

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)

Last edited by Lunor, 25-Oct-2008 at 23:22.
(26-Oct-2008 at 03:40)

Quote:
We try, but every time we do/post/play/have something fun, some tight ass mod ([cough]SF[/cough]) comes and locks it, hence, spoiling our fun. If threads like king of the hill and stuff werent closed at random, maybe this place would still be fun and carefree, and hell we could all do with some fun and carefreeness in our lives!
No offence Amy, but while I agree the mods can be a bit overzealous with closing the game threads, I don't see them attracting users.

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $4.24
(26-Oct-2008 at 08:20)

Originally Posted by Spectre19: View Post
No offence Amy, but while I agree the mods can be a bit overzealous with closing the game threads, I don't see them attracting users.
Neither do I - King of the Hill is probably not the best example of a thread that would attract users, anyway. Isn't it just the one where you just post KING! ?

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege!
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - The Fear of Long Words
View Public Profile Find more posts by Alexstrasza Add Alexstrasza to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(26-Oct-2008 at 22:47)

Originally Posted by Alexstrasza: View Post
Neither do I - King of the Hill is probably not the best example of a thread that would attract users, anyway. Isn't it just the one where you just post KING! ?
Might as well reopen the poking thread if its mindless spam you want

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
WoW Moderator
Donated $22.00
(27-Oct-2008 at 14:02)

Now.. I've never liked pointless spam... but I do think some threads get closed a bit too.. quickly. Or strictly, if you prefer..

I believe we should stay really strict with flaming and similar bad behaviour... but "spam" (in the right place) doesn't really hurt anyone. An example could be the "group" threads. Or clans, or what you call them They do gather a lot of people, and don't hurt anyone.

Maybe they seem "stupid", but sometimes, "stupid" is great, when you're just relaxing and "hanging out" on an online forum!

I also agree, that we should probably remove focus a bit from Utopia, as it's not nearly as interesting as it used to be (lot less players etc.). Maybe, put the general discussion section of the forums in the top? Utopia related sections can still be there, but maybe a bit more in the bottom?

But don't rename the site! Utopia doesn't necessarily have to refer to the game
UT just wouldn't be the same, if it wasn't named UT
(hmm but then again... we're trying to change it lol I managed to confuse myself here)

Hmmmm... I think I need a new signature

Last edited by Sossy, 27-Oct-2008 at 14:03.
Edit reason: typo
View Public Profile Visit Sossy's homepage Find more posts by Sossy Add Sossy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Feb-2009 at 18:36)
Utopiatemple is dying. To me, these are the reasons:

-No bug support for Angel anymore. Waiting for any answer for almost a week. Complete silence.

-Complete unuserfriendly navigation through the website.

-Outdated look of the website.

-A lot of clutter on the front page.

Ways to improve it:
-Close down the forum, or get the support working again for Angel and other tools.
-Focus on what you're good at: providing tools, information and guides for Utopia.
-Think about the looks of your website.
-Get to know people from Jolt and close down some commercial deals with them.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bocksir Add Bocksir to your Buddy List Reply with Quote