Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Discussions > Utopia Suggestions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(07-Oct-2008 at 20:41)
New Building (no name yet but its defense against magic)

Problem:

Attackers are forced to have a fair amount of wizzies to avoid certain destruction from mages and hybrids. In effect, an attacker is almost forced to play a hybrid simply for defense.

Solution:

Implement a new building that serves as defense against enemy spells. Of course, numbers can and probably will be changed but that's not the point here.

This is what I'm visioning:

A building that say gives you 1.5% defense against spells for every 1% of your land of this building type. But also gives you a -3% in magic effectiveness on offensive spells.

For example say you have 10% be this building. it would give you:

15% added protection from incoming offensive spells
-30% effectiveness on casting offensive spells

This would provide an incentive for attackers to remain attackers and not switch to hybrids, as they would have more defense against spells, and less ability to cast them.
View Public Profile Find more posts by TennisStud Add TennisStud to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Oct-2008 at 07:35)
Re: New Building (no name yet but its defense against magic)

Originally Posted by TennisStud: View Post
Problem:

Attackers are forced to have a fair amount of wizzies to avoid certain destruction from mages and hybrids. In effect, an attacker is almost forced to play a hybrid simply for defense.

Solution:

Implement a new building that serves as defense against enemy spells. Of course, numbers can and probably will be changed but that's not the point here.

A building that say gives you 1.5% defense against spells for every 1% of your land of this building type. But also gives you a -3% in magic effectiveness on offensive spells.

This would provide an incentive for attackers to remain attackers and not switch to hybrids, as they would have more defense against spells, and less ability to cast them.
maybe 20 % added protection for 10% of the buildoing & and - 25% casting offen spells APART from CB?

lol 30% = 60% added protection through my idea and 45% through yours

but i was thinking
and 3 of the races are attackers (purely, since they can't be mages or thieves) 2 mage, 1 thief lol the two mages are a/ms and the teh thief is a a/t
all the races are attackers!
lol
View Public Profile Find more posts by Fanatic39 Add Fanatic39 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Oct-2008 at 07:36)

wondering how the Mages and thieves will get land though ........
View Public Profile Find more posts by Fanatic39 Add Fanatic39 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Eldarad)
Donated $9.01
(11-Oct-2008 at 20:16)

I question whether an attacker will be prepared to sacrifice, say, 15% of his buildings for this building - which would mean running fewer TGs or no barracks (or whatever, I haven't played Utopia for a while, I'm sure the optimum attacker build strat has changed somewhat) although I accept this will free up peasants to recruit due to the removal of the need to run 10% guilds throughout the age.

I'm also not convinced that a -2% penalty on offensive spells is really a penalty for an attacker...it basically makes the building useless to mages - which is a reasonable intention - but if you're trying to create a trade-off between magic defence and <something else> I'm not sure magic attack is what you're looking for.

You only have power over people as long as you don't take everything from them.
But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he is free again.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Adderla Add Adderla to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Oct-2008 at 21:26)
?? if you are a pure attacker...

you shouldnt have that many problems with mages. As an orc attacker, we screw like rabbits, and with L&P 24/7, meteors take days to have an effect on me. in the meantime, i rage on provinces for supreme acre gains. I will give you one thing though, in long wars, orcs wear down. money dries up and the overall war strat has to change. But that is with any war... real life if you will.

I like it the way it is but I would add the undeads back again! I miss those guys

~M
View Public Profile Find more posts by michael4000 Add michael4000 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(17-Nov-2008 at 20:52)
Magic Shield is already extremly strong.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Fliztland Add Fliztland to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Nov-2008 at 02:05)

The problem we have atm is that mages are actually too weak, not the other way round. It takes time to train the wizards needed to do some damage to others, and a good chain of Massacres will easily take them out. You can't recover those lost wizards overnight, unlike with thieves. It will take you up to several weeks to get them back.

It's true that hybrids are the way to go these days, but adding a building to defend against magic is not going to solve this problem. It will effectively nerf mages even more, and it will mean we will see even more A/Ts out there. Kingdoms tend to consist of mainly A/Ts now, the rest being DE A/M, several being Mystic for the Meteor Showers. Even then, A/T is the preferred choice apart from the several Mystics because the only race where you can be a decent A/M is DE, and many people don't choose DE because of their static defense. It takes a good active kingdom to use DE A/M effectively on a wider scale.

Therefore, what I think should be a long term goal would be to decourage the use of hybrids a bit to help differentiate provinces a little more from each other, while at the same time, throw in the use of more skill in order to play each of the pure classes without making them too boring. Utopia is a team-based game after all, but these days, everyone can do just about anything. As a result, we don't get much more than chaining a few hits and ops together.

Hey Vegeta, what's the scouter say about his power level?
It's over nine THOOOUUUSAAAANNNNNNNNND!!!

Last edited by Lippy, 26-Nov-2008 at 02:07.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lippy Add Lippy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Apr-2009 at 20:33)

Originally Posted by TennisStud: View Post
Problem:

Solution:

or you could just have a race which has a natural resistence towards magic-
like a bonus that makes enemy spells fail more often.
have a race that has some good (unique, also) attacking stuff, and have resilience against magic.

-However, people could just make that into a hybrid anyway, because someone playing this race can do spells on someone (or theivery) and magic used against it wouldn't work as well

another bonus that could work would be to reduce the effects of offensive spells on you

ideas, please

Last edited by Fanatic39, 21-Apr-2009 at 20:37.
Edit reason: spelt something wrong. I'm sure all of you have this problem.