Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Media Mania > Movie Reviews and Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Global Moderator
Donated $27.58
(15-Mar-2009 at 18:16)

[2008] Valkyrie

Genre: History, Thriller, War

Director: Bryan Singer

Plot: Based on actual events, a plot to assassinate Hitler is unfurled during the height of WWII.

Actors:
Tom Cruise ... Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg
Kenneth Branagh ... Major-General Henning von Tresckow
Bill Nighy ... General Friedrich Olbricht
Tom Wilkinson ... General Friedrich Fromm
Carice van Houten ... Nina von Stauffenberg
Thomas Kretschmann ... Major Otto Ernst Remer
Terence Stamp ... Ludwig Beck
Eddie Izzard ... General Erich Fellgiebel
Kevin McNally ... Dr. Carl Goerdeler (as Kevin R. McNally)
Christian Berkel ... Colonel Mertz von Quirnheim
Jamie Parker ... Lieutenant Werner von Haeften
David Bamber ... Adolf Hitler
Tom Hollander ... Colonel Heinz Brandt
David Schofield ... Erwin von Witzleben
Kenneth Cranham ... Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel

IMDB link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0985699/
View Public Profile Find more posts by Konc Add Konc to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(19-Mar-2009 at 17:09)
Haven't seen it, but wanted to. Wanted to until I heard the crap reviews and how it wasn't very historically accurate. Might get it for DVD, eventually...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Andrew X Add Andrew X to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(19-Mar-2009 at 21:00)

I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. I even liked Cruise in it, though he wasn't spectacular by any means. The plot was good, and as far as I know fairly loyal to history (supplemented by extra dramatic sequences, of course, as are all movies). The Valkyrie plan was well explained, and to anyone who paid attention details such as why the bombing failed were explained or at least indirectly shown.

I found it refreshing how everyone talked with a standard accent, American/British for the most part, without all the cliched fake German accents. This was apparently a move they decided on early on in production, and I think it paid off. It put the focus on the story.

Not the best movie I'll ever see by any stretch of the imagination, but well worth the money.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.44
(30-Mar-2009 at 08:01)

I too enjoyed the movie. It was as close to history as a movie like this will be. It was intense and for parts of the movie you are so caught up in what is happening you are almost unsure of the outcomes of the war

I finally found my old account again, so I am now using this instead of my newer account - VaX

Only over time, long after we are gone, will we know if our actions were just
View Public Profile Find more posts by Emperor Sidious Add Emperor Sidious to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Apr-2009 at 00:01)

I'm nowhere near a big Tom Cruise fan. But I thought this movie was casted pretty well. It was also very historically accurate, especially about the types of bombs and the location of the attacks. And David Bamber did a GREAT job as Hitler. I was more than impressed.

...The ShadowMachine...
Swedish Pride!!
Red+Purple=HAPPINESS!
View Public Profile Find more posts by ShadowMachine Add ShadowMachine to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Nov-2009 at 22:38)

I like it but...

I bet they is way more to this movie then what is showed,wars in RL have 1 goal and its to profit,if you watch wars from 2000 yrs ago they had the same goal,in all history that I know;no one declare war to defend themself but only to have hope of profit.

one day who know's when; 1 dude will make a movie about weapon factory who make a fortune with wars

anyhow utopia is slow so I sure like this movie thread

Trust common sense only
View Public Profile Find more posts by Grampy Add Grampy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Dec-2009 at 07:47)

yeh Tom Cruise as an aristocratic German officer .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_(film)

Quote:
German critics

Despite differences over the quality of the film, critics were in agreement that the film had drawn attention to von Stauffenberg's cause.[85] It was applauded "as both as a history lesson and as a film". Tobias Kniebe of the Süddeutsche Zeitung described the film as "maybe not the masterpiece we might have dreamed of ... but not much less", a sentiment shared by many German critics.[88] The public-service German television channel ZDF called Valkyrie "neither scandalously bad nor the event of the century... Neither is it the action thriller we feared, but it is a well-made and serious film." The newspaper Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger reported that any fear that the "myth of the German resistance would be put through a Hollywood filter has turned out to be wrong and prejudicial."[108]

Other critics asserted that Tom Cruise did not "make the grade" as a German war hero. The film critic for Der Tagesspiegel wrote, "[Cruise's] image as an actor has been finally ruined by Valkyrie... [the film] doesn't dare to be popcorn cinema and at the same time lacks any conceptual brilliance." Hanns-Georg Rodek of Die Welt reported of Cruise's performance, "He comes over best as an American hero, someone who battles for respect with aggression and energy. But Stauffenberg was a German hero, with aristocratic bearing, and Cruise cannot carry that off."[118] The Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung said Cruise's performance was "credible", and reserved praise for the authenticity of the dubbed German-language version of the film over the original.[85]
Quote:
Cartwright described how von Stauffenberg was an appropriate leader for the plot: "He was the man who unmistakably wore the mantle of a near-mystic German past, a warrior Germany, a noble Germany, a poetic Germany, a Germany of myth and longing." The novelist felt that Cruise's portrayal was more akin to one as a "troublesome cop". Cartwright also noted that the film did not raise the question of what kind of Germany von Stauffenberg had in mind if the plot succeeded.[124]

Fear is the foundation of most governments
Five years of banning
04-Dec-2002 Starfriend Spamming
11-Dec-2007 Saint Sinner Off-Topic Post
Happy Wooden anniversary
View Public Profile Find more posts by HarleyQuinnROX Add HarleyQuinnROX to your Buddy List Reply with Quote