Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(20-Jun-2016 at 14:18)

the Drumpf effect

y u do dis, merkans. Y.

about the thread title, its a bit of a crossover between utopia and politics. In the 2000s, I havent had much issues with American players. But right now the rightwing ones seem overrepresented in toxicity and nastiness. Intra hits, releasing troops, needless drama, you name it.

My theory is that this is the Drumpf effect - like the lid has been lifted from the cesspit, and the stench is allowed to waft throughout the commons. People formerly told to suppress their beastly urges now celebrate them with abandon.

On the other hand, this can be a Grumpy Old Man effect, or Things Used To Be Better.

"Observers worldwide have been expressing great pity for the people of Gaza [...] This pity may be a natural emotional reaction, yet it is unethical and immoral." - Adi Dvir, Ynetnews editor
View Public Profile Find more posts by Peppie Add Peppie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Aug-2016 at 06:44)

Re: the Drumpf effect

Originally Posted by Peppie: View Post
y u do dis, merkans. Y.

about the thread title, its a bit of a crossover between utopia and politics. In the 2000s, I havent had much issues with American players. But right now the rightwing ones seem overrepresented in toxicity and nastiness. Intra hits, releasing troops, needless drama, you name it.

My theory is that this is the Drumpf effect - like the lid has been lifted from the cesspit, and the stench is allowed to waft throughout the commons. People formerly told to suppress their beastly urges now celebrate them with abandon.

On the other hand, this can be a Grumpy Old Man effect, or Things Used To Be Better.
Trump is in for the same reason Obama won and Bernie nearly took down Hillary despite DNC collusion. People are very sick of the establishment and they will vote for anything they see as anti-establishment. As big a fool as Trump is, he is very anti-establishment. Bernie lost for 2 reasons 1. DNC had chosen Clinton before the first primary. 2. Obama largely did nothing meaningful to actually change politics and people rather see something done this time.

Mars II - American Scientist
PhD - Physical Chemistry
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mars II Add Mars II to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Aug-2016 at 05:44)

On the plus side, maybe this is the election where they finally lose by an embarrassing landslide and the right wing party realizes they need to get with the times and reconsider some of its more asinine stances. Sure they need to stick with guns, military, and religion to appeal to the masses already voting for them. I do believe the average person in the States does want a fiscally conservative President but not in exchange for being against: gay marriage, weed, healthcare, immigration, abortion and global warming.

I just don't get how you can be in the running for President of a country with nuclear devices and have 1, 2, and 3 as your top options.

If all else fails, call someone a troll.
that can be fixed... /

Last edited by Greeney, 18-Aug-2016 at 05:45.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Greeney Add Greeney to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Sep-2016 at 19:50)

sure i know why Drumpf is popular, but im talking about the effects of things being suddenly allowed that were frowned upon in the past.

In the past, it was not done to be racist in the Netherlands. Since the rise of the populist Right, its commonplace: people openly, with their actual real names, celebrating the deaths of hundreds of drowned refugees. This was unthinkable a decade ago

I have a feeling that suddenly the dredges of society, the ones with bottled up resentment, finally feel safe to come out of the hatred closet, to flaunt their toxic counter-social attitudes without fear of reproach. They have gained legitimacy.

Theres also been a lot of reports of increased (i.e. more than usual) overt racism vs minorities by children. So i do think the public sphere is affected, and its not just a fad restricted to the political class. There appears to be a spillover effect into the minds of millions. Including uto players.

"Observers worldwide have been expressing great pity for the people of Gaza [...] This pity may be a natural emotional reaction, yet it is unethical and immoral." - Adi Dvir, Ynetnews editor
View Public Profile Find more posts by Peppie Add Peppie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Feb-2017 at 03:59)

So, looking back, I didn't realize what a nightmare this was going to be and was pretty sure he'd never win. Now I just hope we last long enough and he breaks the correct things that we can restructure the government in a good way.

But holy fuck, what a nightmare.

Mars II - American Scientist
PhD - Physical Chemistry
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mars II Add Mars II to your Buddy List Reply with Quote