Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Posts: 1928/2035
(07-Jun-2008 at 23:38)


DC Police Checkpoints

Here's the Washington Post Article on the topic.

This is from Democracy Now!:

Quote:
D.C. Police Set Up Neighborhood Checkpoints

The Washington Examiner reports police in Washington, D.C. plan to begin sealing off entire neighborhoods, setting up checkpoints and kicking out strangers, under a new program to combat violence. Under a directive issued by Police Chief Cathy Lanier, officers will stop cars at the checkpoints, record all license plate numbers and ask drivers why they are visiting the neighborhood. The directive allows officers to turn away anyone who does not have a legitimate reason for entering the neighborhood. Motorists who resist answering questions from police officers will be arrested for failure to obey an officer. D.C. Councilman Harry Thomas said he is worried Washington, D.C. is “moving towards a police state."

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
-Soren Kierkegaard
"Those who know don't say, and those who say don't know."
- Lao Tzu
More Quotes...
#1  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Syke Add Syke to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1532/1675
(08-Jun-2008 at 02:00)


Re: DC Police Checkpoints

Originally Posted by Syke: View Post
Here's the Washington Post Article on the topic.

This is from Democracy Now!:
You dont understand! This is all necessary to improve security. What would you say if your daughter etc etc

"Observers worldwide have been expressing great pity for the people of Gaza [...] This pity may be a natural emotional reaction, yet it is unethical and immoral." - Adi Dvir, Ynetnews editor
#2  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Peppie Add Peppie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1068/1971
(08-Jun-2008 at 02:02)


what the fuck...

great, now guess what's gonna happen when a car full of arabs approaches one of the checkpoints

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
#3  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 92/284
(08-Jun-2008 at 03:19)


freak

Well, damn! I'm glad my cousin's wedding was on May 21, rather than June 21.

It was a pain in the ass getting around the neighborhood as it was. Now they just made it worse. A lot of cab drivers there are gonna be pulled over.

Refusal to comprimise only succeeds in driving the devil's bargain. However, when one comprimises one's morals, they become the devil's bargain.
#4  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Blind Seer Add Blind Seer to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 490/616
(08-Jun-2008 at 03:53)


This is a shame for those people who just like to cruise and look at houses and such. What if you were going around looking for houses for sale or something? Or are these specific neighborhoods that don't have anything like that? Although I won't be affected, I cannot like that this is happening. Plus it seems like the police involved could be doing more useful things.

I miss Runey...
Band is good! Band is great! Band is how I got a date!
War Damn Eagle!
I love Reputation! Love it! Gimme Gimme Gimme!!! Please.
#5  
View Public Profile Find more posts by StarOwl Add StarOwl to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 5077/5486
Donated $11.20
(08-Jun-2008 at 05:00)


Re: DC Police Checkpoints

Originally Posted by StarOwl: View Post
What if you were going around looking for houses for sale or something? Or are these specific neighborhoods that don't have anything like that?
This is DC. There aren't houses there are 'projects'.
Quote:
Plus it seems like the police involved could be doing more useful things.
This is DC. As long as they're not being shot at, they're winning.

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to.-- Mark Twain
#6  
View Public Profile Visit Michael1's homepage Find more posts by Michael1 Add Michael1 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1929/2035
(08-Jun-2008 at 06:46)


Re: DC Police Checkpoints

Originally Posted by Spectre19: View Post
what the fuck...

great, now guess what's gonna happen when a car full of arabs approaches one of the checkpoints
Actually, arabs probably wouldn't be that hassled. It seems to me that it's mostly black people whose movement they're intending to restrict.

Originally Posted by Michael1: View Post
This is DC. As long as they're not being shot at, they're winning.
Yes, but is the solution to the problem setting up military style road blocks to segregate one undesirable part of the population from the other?

Instead of serving the entire population, the Police are being dedicated to the protection of the rich. The state should not be responsible for creating veritable gated communities to keep poor people penned into projects and ghettos.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
-Soren Kierkegaard
"Those who know don't say, and those who say don't know."
- Lao Tzu
More Quotes...
#7  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Syke Add Syke to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1480/1633
(08-Jun-2008 at 07:06)


This is the capital city of the United States of America ?

I just wanted to be sure on that.

Fear is the foundation of most governments
Five years of banning
04-Dec-2002 Starfriend Spamming
11-Dec-2007 Saint Sinner Off-Topic Post
Happy Wooden anniversary
#8  
View Public Profile Find more posts by HarleyQuinnROX Add HarleyQuinnROX to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 3213/3861
(08-Jun-2008 at 07:38)


Re: DC Police Checkpoints

Originally Posted by HarleyQuinnROX: View Post
This is the capital city of the United States of America ?

I just wanted to be sure on that.
Yes the city with the toughest gun laws and the most corrupt mayors.

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
#9  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 2329/2825
(08-Jun-2008 at 10:42)


Whoa. This is almost like the show Dark Angel. I wonder if you would need sector passes soon

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views
#10  
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 2397
(Post has been warned)
(08-Jun-2008 at 11:39)


Re: DC Police Checkpoints

Originally Posted by Invictus2001: View Post
Yes the city with the toughest gun laws and the most corrupt mayors.
And this shows that having just one city with tough gunlaws ain't enough. Or are you that stupid that you acctually think this proves that tough gun laws don't work?

Backa backa mother.....
#11  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Largoi Add Largoi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1533/1675
(08-Jun-2008 at 12:45)


Re: DC Police Checkpoints

Originally Posted by Invictus2001: View Post
Yes the city with the toughest gun laws and the most corrupt mayors.
Of course the point is not as much that crime flourishes. The point is that your government once again traded liberty for security. THAT is the 'crime' here.

As for poverty and crime in general, everyone knows that these problems are socio-economically rooted. Whether or not the cops use gargantuan measures or not isn't relevant, because they're just fighting symptoms, not the cause.

"Observers worldwide have been expressing great pity for the people of Gaza [...] This pity may be a natural emotional reaction, yet it is unethical and immoral." - Adi Dvir, Ynetnews editor
#12  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Peppie Add Peppie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 3214/3861
(08-Jun-2008 at 21:37)


Re: DC Police Checkpoints

Originally Posted by Peppie: View Post
Of course the point is not as much that crime flourishes. The point is that your government once again traded liberty for security. THAT is the 'crime' here.
1 - I do not live in MD so its not my government.
2 - Im sure the local gun laws make the high crime that is needed for this in only 1 part of the city and not the rest

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
#13  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 5080/5486
Donated $11.20
(09-Jun-2008 at 03:31)


Re: DC Police Checkpoints

Originally Posted by Peppie: View Post
Of course the point is not as much that crime flourishes. The point is that your government once again traded liberty for security. THAT is the 'crime' here.
Well, I suppose if you're ignorant of all the rampant crime going on in Washington D.C., you might feel that way.

But of course, ignorance is bliss, especially to those just interested in waxing philosophically.

DC has issues that go beyond your simple hate mongering. Are there no cities or regions in your world that ever require temporary measures to ensure the peace? DC has an issue with 'gangland thugs', you know the type that populates Most Wanted In America type shows. These measure allow law inforcement to pull over 'pimpmobiles' even if they turn down their music while cruising past officers and simply ensuring that the 'pimpmobiles' have reason to be doing what they do in a particular neighborhood. What this amounts to is a temporary 'light' curfew. Has there never been a curfew established in any area or your country?

What hasn't changed is that the regular law abiding person isn't negatively effected. In fact, this gives law enforcement the opportunity to redirect the law abiding tourist out of a potentially dangerous neighborhood before they get car-jacked

If you don't understand the dynamics of Washington D.C., you shouldn't attempt to make statements that 'our government is trading liberty for security. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to.-- Mark Twain

Last edited by Michael1, 09-Jun-2008 at 03:41.
#14  
View Public Profile Visit Michael1's homepage Find more posts by Michael1 Add Michael1 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 3911/7006
(09-Jun-2008 at 06:31)


Quote:
DC has issues that go beyond your simple hate mongering.
Why is that happening? Why is the capital city of the United States such a fucked-up place? Obviously something is going very wrong. Don't you think that removing guns from the situation might help? Or having a police force that protects instead of just waiting for a crime to happen before dealing with it? Or that maybe all that money being spent on killing Muslims might be better spent on protecting Americans from other Americans?


Quote:
Are there no cities or regions in your world that ever require temporary measures to ensure the peace?
Quote:
Has there never been a curfew established in any area or your country?
Not that I know of, and I would be very worried if there was. I don't admire police states...


Quote:
If you don't understand the dynamics of Washington D.C., you shouldn't attempt to make statements that 'our government is trading liberty for security. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
What he says is true, it is trading liberty for a false sense of security. The police are not dealing with the crime, they are not reducing the number of criminals, they are not doing anything about the issues that lead to criminal behaviour. They just taking steps to keep it out of sight of the rich people who support the local politicians.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." But let it be considered that he did not mean a real and generous love of our country, but that pretended patriotism which so many, in all ages and countries, have made a cloak of self- interest.
#15  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Voice of Reason Add Voice of Reason to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 202/252
(09-Jun-2008 at 09:01)


Quote:
What he says is true, it is trading liberty for a false sense of security. The police are not dealing with the crime, they are not reducing the number of criminals, they are not doing anything about the issues that lead to criminal behaviour. They just taking steps to keep it out of sight of the rich people who support the local politicians.
It isn't a false sense of security for the rich people

"I once went on a long marathon session of masturbation with the goal of doing it 5 times and towards the end I was losing the ability to get it up. I started freaking out because that had never happened to me before and thought I had somehow broken something. After getting that fear in my head I had REAL difficulty getting it up no matter much much I touched it. -RA3
#16  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Californication Add Californication to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 3913/7006
(09-Jun-2008 at 13:21)


Re: DC Police Checkpoints

Originally Posted by Californication: View Post
It isn't a false sense of security for the rich people
Only if they never go outside their protected compound...

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." But let it be considered that he did not mean a real and generous love of our country, but that pretended patriotism which so many, in all ages and countries, have made a cloak of self- interest.
#17  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Voice of Reason Add Voice of Reason to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 5083/5486
Donated $11.20
(09-Jun-2008 at 14:03)


Re: DC Police Checkpoints

I think some of you need to READ about what is going on before making any more false assumptions:

Originally Posted by The original article referenced...:
Starting on Saturday, officers will check drivers' identification and ask whether they have a "legitimate purpose" to be in the Trinidad area, such as going to a doctor or church or visiting friends or relatives. If not, the drivers will be turned away.

The Neighborhood Safety Zone initiative is the latest crime-fighting attempt by Lanier and Mayor Adrian M. Fenty, who have been under pressure from residents to stop a recent surge in violence. Last weekend was especially bloody, with seven slayings, including three in the Trinidad area.

"In certain areas, we need to go beyond the normal methods of policing," Fenty (D) said at a news conference announcing the action. "We're going to go into an area and completely shut it down to prevent shootings and the sale of drugs."


The checkpoint will stop vehicles approaching the 1400 block of Montello Avenue NE, a section of the Trinidad neighborhood that has been plagued with homicides and other violence. Police will search cars if they suspect the presence of guns or drugs, and will arrest people who do not cooperate, under a charge of failure to obey a police officer, officials said.

The enforcement will take place at random hours and last for at least five days in Trinidad, with the option of extending it five more days. Checkpoints could be set up in other neighborhoods if they are requested by patrol commanders and approved by Lanier.

The strategy, patterned after a similar effort conducted years ago in New York, is not airtight. There are many ways to get in and out of Trinidad, not just on the one-way Montello Avenue. And pedestrians will not be stopped, which is something critics say might render the program ineffective.



Originally Posted by Voice of Reason: View Post
Don't you think that removing guns from the situation might help?
There is a handgun ban in DC, but I believe it's unconstitutional. We'll soon know.

Quote:
Or having a police force that protects instead of just waiting for a crime to happen before dealing with it?
Hmmm, by perhaps questioning people behaving in a suspicious manner ... going into a particularly crime plagued area during hours in which crime seems to happen? So you endorse the plan after all, you just don't know it.

Quote:
Or that maybe all that money being spent on killing Muslims might be better spent on protecting Americans from other Americans?
I see, your motto is to never let an issue be discussed without hate-mongering and warping it into your agenda... it gets real old, buddy.

Quote:
Not that I know of, and I would be very worried if there was. I don't admire police states...
That's right, you don't actually have a country.

Quote:
What he says is true, it is trading liberty for a false sense of security. The police are not dealing with the crime, they are not reducing the number of criminals, they are not doing anything about the issues that lead to criminal behaviour. They just taking steps to keep it out of sight of the rich people who support the local politicians.
Whatever... no one is hiding what's going on from the rich or anyone else, it's on the front page FFS! If anything the police force is thankful that people are talking about it because by giving it more publicity their jobs become easier. The police are in fact dealing with crime by targeting areas in which criminal behavior has been happening.

How exactly do you propose the police reduce the number of criminals? Is that their job in your eyes?

Originally Posted by Californication:
It isn't a false sense of security for the rich people
This has nothing to do with rich people ... unless of course you think the rich people are the ones dealing drugs and murdering each other in the ghettos of Washington, D.C. This isn't about isolating crime to a certain area, this is about policing a certain area where the majority of criminal activity is already isolated to.

Originally Posted by Voice of Reason:
Only if they never go outside their protected compound...
As usual, you're making shit up just to have a reason to rail against Americans . I'm sure you're about to twist this whole thread into an anti-Bush, anti-Iraq war, anti-American rant.

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to.-- Mark Twain
#18  
View Public Profile Visit Michael1's homepage Find more posts by Michael1 Add Michael1 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 3915/7006
(09-Jun-2008 at 14:20)


Quote:
There is a handgun ban in DC, but I believe it's unconstitutional. We'll soon know.
As has been explained ad nauseum, banning guns in one small area is a complete waste of time. I don't expect you to understand such a complicated concept though...


Quote:
Hmmm, by perhaps questioning people behaving in a suspicious manner
I think you need to READ about what is going on before making any more false assumptions:

'officers will check drivers' identification and ask whether they have a "legitimate purpose" to be in the Trinidad area, such as going to a doctor or church or visiting friends or relatives. If not, the drivers will be turned away.'

Oh look... no mention of behaving in a suspicious manner.


Quote:
I see, your motto is to never let an issue be discussed without hate-mongering and warping it into your agenda...
Instead of bullshitting, answer the point. In YOUR opinion, is that money better employed fighting Muslims who never threatened the USA in any way, or fighting crime that is threatening American citizens right now?


Quote:
How exactly do you propose the police reduce the number of criminals? Is that their job in your eyes?
In normal countries that is the role of the police, yes. We even have Crime Prevention Units who do nothing else.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." But let it be considered that he did not mean a real and generous love of our country, but that pretended patriotism which so many, in all ages and countries, have made a cloak of self- interest.
#19  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Voice of Reason Add Voice of Reason to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 5085/5486
Donated $11.20
(09-Jun-2008 at 14:59)


Re: DC Police Checkpoints

Originally Posted by Voice of Reason: View Post
As has been explained ad nauseum, banning guns in one small area is a complete waste of time.
Especially when it's about to ruled unconstitutional

Quote:
'officers will check drivers' identification and ask whether they have a "legitimate purpose" to be in the Trinidad area, such as going to a doctor or church or visiting friends or relatives. If not, the drivers will be turned away.'

Oh look... no mention of behaving in a suspicious manner.
Was it mentioned that absolutely every vehicle would be stopped?

Quote:
Instead of bullshitting, answer the point. In YOUR opinion, is that money better employed fighting Muslims who never threatened the USA in any way, or fighting crime that is threatening American citizens right now?
You're mixing two things that can't be mixed. Local law enforcement is paid for locally. National defense is paid for nationally. I would not expect one budget to have any impact on the other. Please stop turning every thread into the same old, tired discussion.

Quote:
In normal countries that is the role of the police, yes. We even have Crime Prevention Units who do nothing else.
Perhaps that is one, lesser role that law enforcement can undertake, but is that their primary role? Stop bullshitting, answer the point. How exactly do you propose police reduce the number of criminals? Step by step, with the first being the most important...

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to.-- Mark Twain
#20  
View Public Profile Visit Michael1's homepage Find more posts by Michael1 Add Michael1 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump:

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Police battle punk fans at California concert Durruti Respectable General Discussions 21 09-Mar-2006 21:53
Resistance to Neo-nazis...can turn into chaos Durruti Respectable General Discussions 12 07-Mar-2006 17:52
What's really happening in France? Durruti Respectable General Discussions 112 16-Nov-2005 19:45
Riotings in Australia Durruti Respectable General Discussions 48 05-Mar-2005 13:07
Assult Weapon Ban. Kazac Polls Heaven 75 30-Apr-2004 23:34


All times are GMT+1. The time now is 18:37.

Powered by vBulletin (modified)
Copyright © Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.