Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > The Lunatic Asylum

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(Posted as acadian9)
(28-May-2006 at 16:00)

I am having a negative repping problem

this one person (who shall remain nameless) is constantly following my posts and neg repping me because of the way i type: fast and with occasional spelling errors. i think its bs to be neg repped because of the way i type, and i've tried asking them to stop negging me because of the way i type, but they just did it again last nite. i neg rep back each time, but that was the last straw. any help on how to get them to leave me alone?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Acadian9 Add Acadian9 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-May-2006 at 16:03)

name him and show him the might of the crowd?
or just change your typing style

Signature suspended by Starfriend for violating the forum's rules.
Signature height exceeded the allowed 60 pixels.
Starfriend's advertising but he didnt pay
View Public Profile Find more posts by Narth Add Narth to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-May-2006 at 16:07)

Name him. From his name alone, we'll probably get a rough estimate if he is doing it on purpose for childish reasons, or because he really does think you should change.

Valar Morghulis
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spine Add Spine to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as acadian9)
(28-May-2006 at 16:10)

well, his name is Stygma SsM, and already he's neg repped me twice for the way i write, and once for being active in a forum (which is irrelevant to this thread, but annoying none the less)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Acadian9 Add Acadian9 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-May-2006 at 16:13)

Your posts ARE a pain to read though, and if you'd just type properly he would leave you alone.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Tobleronex Add Tobleronex to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as acadian9)
(28-May-2006 at 16:20)

i should not have to change the way i type. i type fast, and have occasional spelling mistakes. even people who type slow have mistakes.
Donated $0.44
(28-May-2006 at 16:27)

However, fixing those spelling mistakes doesn't take too much time, is it really too much effort to take 2 minutes and re-read your post to find and correct them?

That's not to say you can never make a typo, but the most errors can easily be avoided simply by correcting your post and that has the added benefit to solve the problem you started this thread for.

Has it occurred to you that you could just as well do something with the criticism you get instead of being stubborn and making a big deal out of it? Also, "repping right back" isn't exactly a mature solution here.

look! Butterflies! *chases*
gnar!

Last edited by Firn, 28-May-2006 at 16:28.
Edit reason: added the "repping back" part
View Public Profile Visit Firn's homepage Find more posts by Firn Add Firn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-May-2006 at 16:37)

Re: I am having a negative repping problem

Originally Posted by acadian9:
i should not have to change the way i type. i type fast, and have occasional spelling mistakes. even people who type slow have mistakes.
I also type fast, but that doesn't mean i have to misspell the words. And if you don't want to change the way you type, don't complain.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Tobleronex Add Tobleronex to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Meli)
(28-May-2006 at 16:45)

I don't mind most mistakes in spelling and grammar, hell I make them myself as well, but it peeves me when people are too lazy to correct them. I always preview and look specifically for mistakes (although it could be a pride-thing with me because english is the only foreign language I'm any good at). It takes so little time that I don't get why there are people who don't do this.

Just look over your post once, and correct what you see. Takes ten seconds if the post isn't miles long. Pretty please with a cherry on top?

MeliHeartsCloud Hearts CloudHeartsMeli
View Public Profile Find more posts by MeliHeartsCloud Add MeliHeartsCloud to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as acadian9)
(28-May-2006 at 16:53)

it'll take a while to fully implement it, but i'll try
(Posted as Stygma SsM)
Donated $5.00
(28-May-2006 at 18:12)
In case anyone is curious why I'm neg-repping for "occasional spelling mistakes", look at the last post of his that I neg repped. Link

But I'll be happy to stop, I just wanted to get a message across.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Stygma Add Stygma to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $7.44
(28-May-2006 at 18:32)

I consider a massive amount of typos to be one of the better reasons to negatively rep someone. This is a forum, not instant messaging. The format supports slower, more careful posting. It's not a real-time conversation with one person; a forum post is a representation of your opinion, viewed by hundreds or thousands of people, not just at the moment you type it, but for as long as the forums run.

You should take a minute to make sure your posts are (1. Understandable and (2. Not embarassing

The less popular Sage
Really...most people forget who I am
But I was here first, damn it!

Willing to sell my soul for a Klondike Bar
View Public Profile Visit The Other Sage's homepage Find more posts by The Other Sage Add The Other Sage to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as acadian9)
(28-May-2006 at 18:52)

Originally Posted by Stygma SsM:
In case anyone is curious why I'm neg-repping for "occasional spelling mistakes", look at the last post of his that I neg repped. Link

But I'll be happy to stop, I just wanted to get a message across.
I had 3 mistakes, all only 1 letter. I meant to say married , but typed "maries" (forgot an "r" and did "s" instead of "d") and meant to say "who's" but said "whp's" instead. those mistakes are all 1 letter apart on the keyboard, so its normal to make that kind of mistake when typing fast. I will try to correct my spelling, so can we plz put this behind us and forget it ever happened?

Last edited by acadian9, 28-May-2006 at 18:58.
Global Moderator
(28-May-2006 at 19:03)

What is more inexcusable about having loads of spelling errors is that by clicking on the little "ABC" icon on the top right when making a post, it'll spell check your post for you.

People, like snowflakes, are all slightly different, but we all follow the same patterns -Stewie
Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Some people are like Slinkies- absolutely useless, but always fun to push down stairs!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Azure Dragon Add Azure Dragon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-May-2006 at 19:07)

Originally Posted by acadian9:
I had 3 mistakes, all only 1 letter. I meant to say married , but typed "maries" (forgot an "r" and did "s" instead of "d") and meant to say "who's" but said "whp's" instead. those mistakes are all 1 letter apart on the keyboard, so its normal to make that kind of mistake when typing fast. I will try to correct my spelling, so can we plz put this behind us and forget it ever happened?
...3?

Incorrect language in red.

looks arent everything, as if u 2 get maries, she'll become old, wrinkly and butt ugly, and u'd be stuck with her great personality, so i'd say stick with her for now until u find a lady whp's not only good looking but also has a great personality.
(28-May-2006 at 19:09)

Well, you dont seem to have lots of trouble typing correctly in this thread, so why not just do it in every other thread.

But I agree with you, that Stygma guy should be burnt alive.

"You spoony bard!"
View Public Profile Find more posts by TheIronMaiden Add TheIronMaiden to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(28-May-2006 at 19:13)

Originally Posted by Tobleronex:
...3?

Incorrect language in red.

looks arent everything, as if u 2 get maries, she'll become old, wrinkly and butt ugly, and u'd be stuck with her great personality, so i'd say stick with her for now until u find a lady whp's not only good looking but also has a great personality.
You forgot to point out the lack of capitlisation on "I'd"

People, like snowflakes, are all slightly different, but we all follow the same patterns -Stewie

Some people are like Slinkies- absolutely useless, but always fun to push down stairs!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Azure Dragon Add Azure Dragon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Belili)
Donated $9.01
(28-May-2006 at 19:15)

Quote:
But I agree with you, that Stygma guy should be burnt alive.
I agree... but not for warning spelling errors.... I just am craving Stygma marshmallows!

The only time I'd freak out is if someone repped me for a comma splice... I'd cry =(

btw, Azure... I don't see this "ABC" button... am I just blind, or is it a mod thing?

Belili : Sexy :: Naz : Warning Points

Last edited by Belili, 28-May-2006 at 19:18.
View Public Profile Visit belili's homepage Find more posts by belili Add belili to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-May-2006 at 19:19)

Originally Posted by Azure Dragon:
You forgot to point out the lack of capitlisation on "I'd"
Doh! =P

I'd like to second Belili; What ABC-button?
Global Moderator
(28-May-2006 at 19:27)

Originally Posted by Belili:
I agree... but not for warning spelling errors.... I just am craving Stygma marshmallows!

btw, Azure... I don't see this "ABC" button... am I just blind, or is it a mod thing?
Nope, I had it before I got modship. Just above the smilies when you make a new post... oh heck heres a print screen:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Picture.JPG (46.1 KB, 73 views)