Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Discussions > Utopia Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(20-Nov-2004 at 04:44)

How long Utopia can last?

I've got a question.. I wonder how long will this Utopia last for? 20 more ages? 50 more ages?

Signature suspended by SM Tengu for violating the forum's rules. [60 pixel rule]
View Public Profile Find more posts by toalanjinabe Add toalanjinabe to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Nov-2004 at 05:00)

Honestly, I dont think too much longer. Mehul used to play, no he doesnt. Have you ever tried to work/program on something that you could really careless about?

Of course, he is getting massive bucks with utopia, so perhaps the money has gotten to him.

PS: uboita is ad free

"Intelligence is like a 4-wheel drive: It just allows you
to get stuck in more remote places ..." (G. Keillor)

Last edited by wallfire, 20-Nov-2004 at 05:03.
Edit reason: drinking inhibits typing...
View Public Profile Find more posts by wallfire Add wallfire to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Donated $41.00
(20-Nov-2004 at 22:01)

He doesn't have to play at this point, he can get people to do it for him *cough* Blake *cough* or look at feedback more often. As for your question it's hard to say and mainly it's up to Mehul and then the players. If he keeps it interesting and not repetitive people will stick around longer but if not people will quit and no new players will take their place or at least not as fast as they leave. I give it a year or two unless he can keep it addicting.

BUD LIGHT
145847903/Davevalek/Insanity
I am one of a kind, the only one you'll find. I am me and nothing else...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Valek Add Valek to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Nov-2004 at 22:05)
eh, well he's just lost me for gen and i'm about to give up on the main servers again. it's feeling kinda ridiculous to play any more since i have for... 5, 6 years? btw, anyone know the date this stupid game started?

*curses my friend for showing me utopia ever existed*

*curse, curse, curse!*

You say I've changed. I think you've fallen behind.
It's all the stuff you don't know which make the most difference.
View Public Profile Find more posts by sparky wizzie Add sparky wizzie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Nov-2004 at 22:55)
Yea I've been playing for quite a while too. Gotta hate the start, it got us addicted.

But I think Valek is pretty right. If he can keep it interesting people will keep coming. Then it depends on if he wants to keep going with it, which if he does it can go on for a few more years at least. I have trouble thinking it will pass the 2010(year) mark.

Be Strong
Be Proud
D.E.M.O.
(Duckie Elite Military Organization)

Last edited by Darkest Sin, 20-Nov-2004 at 22:56.
Edit reason: 2010 - As in the year...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Darkest Sin Add Darkest Sin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Nov-2004 at 23:11)
It can go on as long as people (enough) are interested. But playernumbers seem to be dropping. I just checked the total of BF players and that's about 22.8K now, and if I remember correctly it used to be much more.

It might be that many people are just playing WoL or Gen, but I don't think so.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Zaran Add Zaran to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Nilaya)
(21-Nov-2004 at 00:30)

Hmm, i was asking myselfe same thing for a while, but i think also it will last as long there are people to play, so as long it is interesting for new and old players here. And i'm hoping that i will be boread out of utopia before she ends, cuz it would be dissiponting than.
View Public Profile Find more posts by mojpasgaro Add mojpasgaro to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Nov-2004 at 04:21)

Quote:
(Originally posted by wallfire)

Honestly, I dont think too much longer. Mehul used to play, no he doesnt. Have you ever tried to work/program on something that you could really careless about?

Of course, he is getting massive bucks with utopia, so perhaps the money has gotten to him.

PS: uboita is ad free
what proof do u have that mehul doesnt play?

I think it will go on for a long time new people are always dicovering it
View Public Profile Find more posts by Addictive Add Addictive to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Donated $41.00
(22-Nov-2004 at 01:38)

exclamation mark

Even if Mehul stops then it's possible someone else could take over and or make a clone game. So really it might not ever die in a sense, I'm hoping for new ownership because that could mean big changes (not necessarily good) but changes none the less.

BUD LIGHT
145847903/Davevalek/Insanity
I am one of a kind, the only one you'll find. I am me and nothing else...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Valek Add Valek to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Nov-2004 at 02:17)

Hey, I don't mind if people leave Utopia. As long as Mehul keeps the game running, that is. Heck, if there are only 100 people left in the game, and I'm still there, voila! I'm in the top 100

Lol, but seriously, I still enjoy the game, but the only reason I still play is to train other players and hope for a fun age. If enough people leave, the appeal will fade, and that would suck.

I hope people keep playing so this game lasts for years.

Proud Supporter of George W. Bush
Long live Bush. I salute you
Now where's my candy bar? Candy Baaaaaar
-Admiral Lindsay, aboard his Superdreadnaught
Flagship, GNS Harrington
View Public Profile Find more posts by Admiral Lindsay Add Admiral Lindsay to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Nov-2004 at 03:06)

Yeah i was looking at the player numbers before and its only 29000 for WoL and 20000 for BF,... thats alot less than before, they used to say they had 70000+ players, now they only have 49000. But i suppose bringing in the genisis server helped a bit, im not sure how many people play that, because remember it dosnt matter to mehul and the advertisers if the same person is playing on 2 servers, its still twice as many views and possible clicks for the ads. I think, if things continue (with the number of players dropping), it wont continue in its current format in 2-3 years time. But it is still 50,000 people playing, i suppose, even if thats less than before its still a huge number.
View Public Profile Find more posts by ramlamb Add ramlamb to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Brother Pink)
(22-Nov-2004 at 03:12)

I play utopia, not for the game but for teh interaction with other players. You get to meet, talk to and engage with other people all around the world. This is what I think keeps utopia alive. If it dies, so be it, I have made numerous connections with the people within the game.

Also, if it dies, i am sure that there is someone who will try to create a clone, but honestly i think for an individual, 3 years is a max playing time.

Have a HooT
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lucan Add Lucan to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Nov-2004 at 03:27)
Quote:
Even if Mehul stops then it's possible someone else could take over and or make a clone game.
I'm working on a client/server system so that anybody can run their own

Utopia Age 3 Re-creation Project
Utopia Server System Project
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nutopia
IRC: irc.utonet.org (#nutopia)
View Public Profile Visit modulus's homepage Find more posts by modulus Add modulus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Nov-2004 at 13:01)

How long will NUtopia be completed?

Signature suspended by SM Tengu for violating the forum's rules. [60 pixel rule]
View Public Profile Find more posts by toalanjinabe Add toalanjinabe to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Nov-2004 at 18:30)

Utopia is a succes, if mehul stops, he just sells it for a good amount of money, and 2 weeks later people dont blame mehul, but someone else for there deletions

Leader Of AoT, High Councillor For AoD
HTN is my banner making bitch. /Greeney
I am the Greatest Alliance Leader in Utopia. /Diamonds
I Bite. /Forgotty
Bouncing is my game. /Meli
View Public Profile Visit htn02's homepage Find more posts by htn02 Add htn02 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Nov-2004 at 01:29)
Quote:
How long will NUtopia be completed?
Ugh... hopefully beta 1 will be out by Christmas.

After that, it starts getting into the realm of anti-cheating, improving the network, adding forums, etc etc...

Utopia Age 3 Re-creation Project
Utopia Server System Project
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nutopia
IRC: irc.utonet.org (#nutopia)
View Public Profile Visit modulus's homepage Find more posts by modulus Add modulus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Nov-2004 at 10:07)

Swirve is a business. As long as the game is making a profit to the company, it won't be ditched. As i understand it, almost no one ever used to donate or obtain the platinum service. The real problem is that people who wish to advertise a product over the internet are paying less and less because people are so bombarded by adds that they lose their effect.

Want True Wisdom?
My Other Name is Krash
View Public Profile Visit The Spirits's homepage Find more posts by The Spirits Add The Spirits to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(24-Nov-2004 at 12:16)

Quote:
(Originally posted by ramlamb)

Yeah i was looking at the player numbers before and its only 29000 for WoL and 20000 for BF,... thats alot less than before, they used to say they had 70000+ players, now they only have 49000. But i suppose bringing in the genisis server helped a bit, im not sure how many people play that, because remember it dosnt matter to mehul and the advertisers if the same person is playing on 2 servers, its still twice as many views and possible clicks for the ads. I think, if things continue (with the number of players dropping), it wont continue in its current format in 2-3 years time. But it is still 50,000 people playing, i suppose, even if thats less than before its still a huge number.
Maybe there are less multis now?

Backa backa mother.....
View Public Profile Find more posts by Largoi Add Largoi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Nov-2004 at 20:37)

50 000 is still a large amount of players

You can breathe in space, they just don't want you to escape
View Public Profile Find more posts by lnopia Add lnopia to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Nov-2004 at 16:12)
I hope you do get warningpoints for spamming,

personally I dont know if topia is gonna make it, lots of ppl quit and very few (good) replacements got in.
View Public Profile Find more posts by patser Add patser to your Buddy List Reply with Quote