Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Discussions > Utopia Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(22-Jan-2003 at 21:36)
seska, help me win the lottery, ill give you half the winnings, buy two new servers to replace the ones currently being used.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Calimbis Add Calimbis to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Lohrtar X)
(22-Jan-2003 at 21:53)

I am also one of the ones thinking you can't blame Mehul for anything. It's a free service, you're demanding that he spends all his time and money on a thing that he is providing you with no conditions.

You're greedy!

Sir Lohrtar the Mortar

The Crusader of Retribution
Let not thy will roar, when thy power can but whisper
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sir Lohrtar Add Sir Lohrtar to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 21:55)
While lag time is annoying (I certainly wouldn't subject my customers to this), I think the real problem are the popups, which show a complete lack of respect for utopia's customer base (even though utopia is free, users of course need to be considered customers). Yes, net advertising rates are in the cellar, but forcing more than two popups per session - especially of this type - upon users is a serious breach of netiquette.

Mehul has created a great game, for which we all should be thankful, but this practice is simply wrong. Making ends meet with a website is tough, but it can be done - without flooding users with spyware-spewing popups every time they so much as look at their screens. Mehul needs to focus on working with his advertisers to increase the effectiveness of utopia's ads while reducing their volume. Then server issues will be a lot easier to solve.
View Public Profile Find more posts by December Add December to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 22:24)

question

BF was closed off to people, unless they had platinum status, before. Does anyone know why this stopped? Wouldn't that solve many of our problems? Or was that just a gimick for suckers like me, on a short term plan?

I agree that we don't have the right to complain, if we're getting it for free. But some of us spent the money on a platinum account, and think that that should make a difference.
Mehul says he's providing a free service, and there's nothing more they can do. That, I understand. But, if he says we should just quit if we don't want to deal with it, why doesn't he make it easier for ppl to decide that, with closing off BF to new free players, again? Mehul and Utopia suffer not at all, with that, and the people who care enough about the game to pay, get better service.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lasair Add Lasair to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 22:28)
mad

Dang!! its not about money... it's about effeciency and effectivity.. if Mehul cant make it better and only make it worse.. better close the GAME!!!!
View Public Profile Find more posts by orion18 Add orion18 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 22:29)
Quote:
(Originally posted by December)

While lag time is annoying (I certainly wouldn't subject my customers to this), I think the real problem are the popups, which show a complete lack of respect for utopia's customer base (even though utopia is free, users of course need to be considered customers). Yes, net advertising rates are in the cellar, but forcing more than two popups per session - especially of this type - upon users is a serious breach of netiquette.
1) We aren't customers. Customers are people who pay. We don't pay. Its that damn simple.

Since we didn't purchase anything we have NO rights. Yeah its irritating when this happens, but why aren't you all blaming the freeloaders who won't even cough up $15 for a lifetime membership service huh?

As for popups. I don't like them, but a webmaster is free to put as MANY as he likes on HIS website. And if you don't like, GO ELSEWHERE.

Eoghan Irving
Editor/Webmaster
Solar Flare: Everything Fantasy and Science Fiction
http://www.sflare.com
View Public Profile Visit eoghann's homepage Find more posts by eoghann Add eoghann to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Psirus)
Donated $2.28
(22-Jan-2003 at 22:33)

mad Moneky Boy!!

Damn I read some of those and THEY PISS ME OFF! And by the way Mehul, u look like a fricken moneky.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Araqiel Add Araqiel to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 22:37)
Quote:
We aren't customers. Customers are people who pay. We don't pay. Its that damn simple.
Not that I agree in the least with that attitude (folks who provide you with your source of revenue are customers, whether paying or not), but I find it strange that you mention coughing up $15 right after saying "We don't pay"...

Seems like you've just contradicted yourself.

And yes, every webmaster can put as many popups on his or her page as he/she likes. That's just one of the differences between good webmasters and bad...
View Public Profile Find more posts by December Add December to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 22:53)
Customers or not?

I agree that we somewhere fall under the lable "customer", but I fail to reconize the resemblance between us using a free game and bad-netettics.

The real problem isn't the popups... I mean, What popups are all of you guys talking about???? I play Utopia and never see a singel popup or banner other then before I log in.

... that's called Platinum service, if you whiners have such a big prob with pops then I suggest you do someting about it and stop whining. sheesh!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Morgan Add Lord Morgan to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 22:55)

Re: Server Capacity

Quote:
(Originally posted by chlu)

One good business rule is to take care of the customers you already have before hunting new ones!

My suggestion: Limit the numbers of users.
So basically what you're saying is that he should have came up with a set, maximum limit of users and then once the limit is reached... "bam!".. pull the plug on new accounts?

Or are you saying, by the second part, since it is too late to do this "set limit".. that he should randomly delete 10,000 accounts of pissed off customers?
View Public Profile Visit dgriffith25's homepage Find more posts by dgriffith25 Add dgriffith25 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 22:58)
mehule is right.

if those problems are so easy to solve then why not we just give mehule the money to have more servers.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mount Vocana Add Mount Vocana to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 23:00)
Quote:
(Originally posted by dgriffith25)

So basically what you're saying is that he should have came up with a set, maximum limit of users and then once the limit is reached... "bam!".. pull the plug on new accounts?

Or are you saying, by the second part, since it is too late to do this "set limit".. that he should randomly delete 10,000 accounts of pissed off customers?
That would help server speed alot, yes. But I agree that isn't a valid option, which is why Mehul hasn't done it yet.

There isn't any easy solution to this problem other then hoping that some people will leave because of the low speed *crosses fingers*

... perhaps the reason why Mehul is talking to blunt to the point is that he's secretly hoping that a few will be so pissed off that they'll leave Utopia for good
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Morgan Add Lord Morgan to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 23:09)
Quote:
(Originally posted by dgriffith25)

Other games are using that method, and they are very popular. Perhaps even more popular?
I was thinking of Hattrick the Football manager game.

Yes, "pull the plug on new accounts"
but don't kick out 10000 players now, wait until next age and let only a limited numbers of players play.
View Public Profile Find more posts by chlu Add chlu to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 23:24)
free game!

i really don't understand the way some people talk about Mehul! this guy is a true genius, and the people playing the games should be thankful to be able to use his services and play his games!!!!!!

his answer: take it or leave is just the way to go! he hasn't asked for people to play his games and keep complaining about it all the time!

i know i must admit the server ARE slower, but what the heck with it, i like the game....since i've been playing this game like 7 ages ago i haven't been less interested in it at all! and the ones who have been playing for so long will agree with me...we'll just have to take a little bit more patience for logging in and play the game
i suppose everyone does got those extra 5 minutes for logging in
View Public Profile Find more posts by chang17 Add chang17 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 23:37)
mad

Sh!!!TT.. not even a simple inspire army works easily.. It takes 20 times to retry it in order to be succesfull..

Stupid SERVER!!!
View Public Profile Find more posts by orion18 Add orion18 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 23:44)
Quote:
I completely agree with Mehul, sorry guys. The game is free and he is providing a service free to us. He could charge $50 per year to play and the enrollment would drop way below 10,000 people and the servers would be fast as hell. He is a very busy man and has more in his life than utopia. I think he gets sick of greedy people that expect everything for free...

Not to mention the effect it owuld have on all the multies and farms, clearing out that many extra accounts, too.

$50 is a little steep for a lot of people, though...a lot of studentls would get cut off, and some people who just can;t fit teh additional cost into their budgets.

I wouldn't really object to the loss of, say, people under the age of 16, with a few rare exception.

Monarch of "The Forge"
Note- My comments and views are mine, and mine alone. I don't speak for anyone but myself, and occasionally my kingdom.
View Public Profile Find more posts by HammerOfTheGods Add HammerOfTheGods to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Anduriel CoS)
(22-Jan-2003 at 23:45)

Geez guys, give it a break.

I want you to think about one thing: This game is FREE (that means you dont have to pay for it )

So what do you expect from Mehul? Ruin his business so you have no reason to complain?

Yes, you`re right, the server is kinda slow, but is that Mehuls fault? The game is made for people logging in a few times a day, not all the day. It was just a question of time for the servers to get down.

And btw, I dont hink his (Mehul`s) behaviour is arrogant, he is offering you a free game and he`s right, take it or leave it.

Soulless And Free
View Public Profile Visit A n d u r i e l's homepage Find more posts by A n d u r i e l Add A n d u r i e l to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 23:49)

agrees with Anduriel. I think its arrogan't to complain about Mehul, look what the guy have done for you guys.

Mehul is a hero. Thanx for everything!
View Public Profile Visit Aenarion's homepage Find more posts by Aenarion Add Aenarion to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 23:54)

Quote:
(Originally posted by uiman)

No you cant but neither does it give him the excuse to sound darn arrogant. Maybe he's having a bad day or maybe he's sick of the same old questions but the way he replied dont sound very polite. Sheeshhh
I think he answers i a very neutral way to very offensive accusations - if anyone precieves them as arogants hta is their problem - he is just stating cold facts without wrapping them in pink fluffy paper. The servers runs slow and they can do nothing about it - and so they do nothing about it. You aren't happy with the game - you can quit. If you don't quit your either slowing the servers down on purpose to be able to complain to him or you are not in fact tha unhappy wiht the servers. I think it's a great game and i would probably send them a couple of bucks a month (to a upgrade servers fund) if had a decent-paying job.

Member of the KIB
"Well we did, before u dipshits bombed them." //pxpxpunx
Honorary Aussie #1
View Public Profile Find more posts by Escarcha 1 Add Escarcha 1 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jan-2003 at 23:59)
mad

CANT YOU SEE IT? WE ARE CUSTOMERS YOU MORONS!! IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT MONEY WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT CUSTOMERS..

IT CAN ALSO BE SERVICES.. WE'RE PARTAKING HIS SERVICES BY PLAYING AND WE PAY BY MAKING HIS BUSINESS MORE POPULAR AND HENCE GENERATING GOODWILL OR EVEN MONEY!!!!

IF WE ARE NOT HERE... MEHUL'S GENIUS IS COMPLETELY USELES..
ASLO IF WE ARE NOT HERE.. UTOPIA IS DEAD..

SO WE PEOPLE DESERVE PROPER ATTENTION.. WE DESERVE WHAT MEHUL DESERVE... AFTER ALL WE WORK TOGETHER..

SO GET THAT SERVER WORKIN' FAST!!!!