Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Discussions > Utopia Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(06-Mar-2003 at 01:06)

I ALSO THINK THIS EXPLANATION WAS INTENDED TO SCARE SCRIPT KIDDIES FROM TRYING THE SAME THING LOL.
View Public Profile Find more posts by sleeper Add sleeper to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $3.88
(06-Mar-2003 at 01:14)
Deisel, the problem with that is (taking a stab at this) is that when you block the ip from coming in, lets say you go to mystics, then military, then menu, then theives ect ect for like 20 minutes, actually playing the game. Then you would be blocked for sending it 20 times
View Public Profile Find more posts by lightsknight55 Add lightsknight55 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2003 at 01:22)
lightbulb

nice simple explanation now maybe the n00blars will learn something today!
View Public Profile Find more posts by MaxImuSy2k Add MaxImuSy2k to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2003 at 01:23)
grr..

It's about time somebody actually posted this sort of stuff in the forums. I habitually read forums on sites that I'm interested in, and I'm sick of flicking (albeit rapidly) through page upon page of people abusing the servers, Mehul, the Pope, and anyone or anything else that has nothing to do with the downtime.

Glacier, thanks for the post. I'm sure that many of us would also have loved to post that sort of info to shut up the whingers, but frankly, we're all too laaazzzyyy.

Thanks, Bro.
View Public Profile Find more posts by ZaGoof Add ZaGoof to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2003 at 01:25)
Nicely said glacier. Just as an add-on, if a true hacker was gonna mess with the game, they'd prolly just hack into their own accounts and give themselves enough troops or what not to become number one and stay that way for the rest of the age. There really wouldn't be a need to bring the Swirve servers down b/c they could just dominate the entire time.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Diaman Add Diaman to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2003 at 01:29)

Thanks for the explanation. But the thing that confuses me is if these attacks are so easy to start and difficult to stop, why aren't other websites affected? How come the entire internet doesn't just crash and burn under the onslaught?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Ehlana Add Ehlana to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.80
(06-Mar-2003 at 01:31)

*Joins the chorus*

Well said. I never asked what a DoS attack was (I had a vague idea), because i was afraid of being flamed for not knowing. Now I know haha, thanks
View Public Profile Find more posts by Foliage Add Foliage to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $2.24
(06-Mar-2003 at 01:45)
not a bad explanation, but a quarter to third of it is wrong
View Public Profile Find more posts by venge Add venge to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2003 at 01:50)
yes, thanks for the word picture .

it should be mandatory reading for everyone wanting to play utopia...lol, the stress level goes up high enough when servers are down, without reading posts from all the uninformed people complaining about things they have no knowledge about.

and yeah, i too followed that link to the long explanation about dos attacks.. scarry stuff..

and thanks to temple staff for keeping things running. half the time, it is only through temples links that i'm getting in game still...
View Public Profile Find more posts by reader3 Add reader3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2003 at 02:01)
smile I am not worthy

* bows down *

you have given us the true explanation of this situation....

I have only one person to blame....

Postman Pat.

he has poisened our minds since we were born, yet he is still in the shops, sadly, he infiltrates into our very living rooms into our childs hearts and secretly plots against us.

Oh, sorry....

i thought this was the "insane baffle section"

Final thought, life isnt about who we love and who we care about. Its about using the time wisely and visting Utopia and UtopiaTemple.

Take care of yourselfs and each other...

If It Aint Broken....Brake It
View Public Profile Find more posts by Rastaman2002 Add Rastaman2002 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2003 at 02:15)
content Bravo!

Nicely done, thanks for informing all us who do not know the whole truth.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Charger001 Add Charger001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2003 at 02:21)
ninja

Quote:
(Originally posted by plisken)
At which point, all 80,000 players send 1$ to some mercanaries who assassinate the cause of these evil deeds.
Gimme a adress and I will do it for free!

Pati est Descre!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Erucolindo Add Erucolindo to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $15.00
(06-Mar-2003 at 02:31)
Erucolindo

If you get an address you have an accomplice.
View Public Profile Find more posts by whiskeybreath Add whiskeybreath to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2003 at 02:33)
tongue

ok glacier... now turn yourself in!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Xaxinha Add Xaxinha to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2003 at 02:45)
Quote:
(Originally posted by diesel)

why can't they just block the ips at the router or firewall level of the computers pinging them excessively. set up a script to block any IPs that ping it say 10 times in succession. it seems unlikely that a script kiddie could gain control of enough computers to overcome that.
1) It might not be a simple ICMP-Ping attack - it could just be bulk opening of a web connection and doing nothing.

2) They probably already have this setup, but it might be the firewall getting jammed, and not the servers. Due to the "trojan" slaves, the volume of packets showing up at swirve could be more then their firewalls can handle.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sotarsh Add Sotarsh to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2003 at 03:00)

Its a damn shame you have to explain what some lazy person can just go read about at GRC.com

I didn't know CHIT about this stuff until last friday, when I went to grc and read for myself.

Its usually best to NOT assess blame if you don't know WTF you are talking about, for all those blaming Mehul, and its definitely best to go read some stuff here and there, so one can understand things, based on knowledge and actual fact, as opposed to 'what I heard in the forum/chat.'

The only good dwarf is a hungry dwarf
View Public Profile Find more posts by TorchADwarfFarm Add TorchADwarfFarm to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2003 at 03:01)
exclamation mark

Nicely done Glacier. Quite refreshing to learn something i know lil about. Thank you for taking the time to write it up and let us know what the heck was going on....
View Public Profile Find more posts by MADDOGG Add MADDOGG to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2003 at 03:02)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Ehlana)

Thanks for the explanation. But the thing that confuses me is if these attacks are so easy to start and difficult to stop, why aren't other websites affected? How come the entire internet doesn't just crash and burn under the onslaught?

Becuz when they start the Dos/DDos/DRDos attacks, they are targetted at a specific IP address, i.e. a specific site.

The only good dwarf is a hungry dwarf
View Public Profile Find more posts by TorchADwarfFarm Add TorchADwarfFarm to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2003 at 03:06)
In case you haven't had enough ego food -- nice work. I've posted a link in my kingdom forum for anyone there who isn't too happy with all this. Hopefully it will help them out, and I must admit that I learned a bit, too
View Public Profile Visit Beige Tangerine's homepage Find more posts by Beige Tangerine Add Beige Tangerine to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2003 at 03:29)
lightbulb

Nicely said and thanks for the easy to understand explanation to a very complicated situation.

Thank god my wife is technically challenged. LOL
View Public Profile Find more posts by crunchnb Add crunchnb to your Buddy List Reply with Quote