Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Discussions > Utopia Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(26-Feb-2007 at 12:51)

Utopia Thesis: Please post your stories and thoughts

Hi

I hope this is the best place to post this thread.

The coming months I will be writing my Master thesis about Utopia. I've already submitted this thesis proposal, and it has been approved. What I would like to use this thread for is to probe the minds of my fellow players.

I am interested in Utopian stories and anecdotes, in statements that describe why and how you play this game, recounting what you feel were big Utopian events and so on. I'm interested in both alliance, kingdom and province accounts.

In the near future I will start doing ethnographic research (that's 1337speak for interviews) with random Utopians, but a brainstorm thread like this one can help me in asking the right questions and maybe point me at or remind me of Utopian stuff that I had forgotten or not realized before.

Please use this thread however you'd like. The key themes are nostalgic stories about the game, reasons for your playing and musings about Utopia and its significance in your/people's lives in general. If you want to back up your posts with official research, then you can read up on MMOG literature via the links section on this blog. You don't have to though; I'm perfectly happy with a spam thread filled with Utopian stories and historical accounts.

Thanks for your input!

"Observers worldwide have been expressing great pity for the people of Gaza [...] This pity may be a natural emotional reaction, yet it is unethical and immoral." - Adi Dvir, Ynetnews editor
View Public Profile Find more posts by Peppie Add Peppie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Feb-2007 at 13:05)
sunglasses Re: Utopia Thesis: Please post your stories and thoughts

well, huntig you is a good reason
View Public Profile Find more posts by mystyka Add mystyka to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Feb-2007 at 13:12)

Well, to be honest, i play this game because of the people within. Of course, when i knew noone arround, and first started this game, this wasn't the main reason. Though i quickly overstepped the boundry of single kingdoms and started doing active alliance business. I can tell you that the adrenaline it can give you in the first period, starts to fade away slowly after a year or so. And when something stressful happens then, like an alliance war, i tend to seriously consider to quit this game.

In the past months i became less intrested in this game itself. I played for Warsong some time, but it became to time consuming for me and i refused to sacrifice my sleeptime to wake up to wave, after all it is just a game, and i've never valued gameplay over sleep, nor do i think i ever will.

So, what binds me to utopia. Not much, except the friends i have in. I can tell you that when they all drop dead suddenly, ill be gone the same instant. Utopia is dying for a reason; people are either starting to get lives, or they are wasting their time on another game that isnt controlled by a powerplaying elite with no life whatsoever

-= Tyreal Aslan - Lord-Fuhrer of NeXT =-
View Public Profile Find more posts by Tyreal7 Add Tyreal7 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Feb-2007 at 13:45)
Hello there.. I will start with who i am and why i play.. Well i am a 21 year old daneface.. I play utopia.. well why do i play utopia? I starts about 8 years i am 12 or 13 something like that, and began playing CS (counterstrike) at a lan cafe.. I met some people much older than me playing this game and i figured WTH i want to play it to.. I couldnt read english or anything (still cant) so i was the basic shit n00b that never reads the forum or anything:P I stopped playing again pretty fast since i was a young boy with no english talents, so it wasnt fun..
When i reached age 15-16 i startet playing again. This time it was more fun, and came to an old KD called Legendary (not the legendary that exists now) We had a nice monarch for a few ages and we did good.. But he left us, stopepd playing and then we got a new player called DB (Devilbunny (maybe some of you know him.. he is retired now i think)) he turned us into a killing machine and we spread on the server like a plaque.. We had like everyone else some ups and downs ages, and had plenty good players in the KD (Janinho and more i cant remember).. It was alot fun and spend alot time in IRC.. Then we joined a alliance called TR (Tabula Rasa) and had some fun with them.... and when legendary disbanded i talked to peppie and came to FREE as a new dane I was there a few ages 3 or 4.. and had alot fun with the Warwin stuff we always did I got cought in a mass deletion (like alot more) and startet a new acc in a new KD.. We called ourself Commrads.. my king was a Dane called Nebu and we had some interesting ideas of how to play this game.. being 19online at same time doing AW/NS and stuff to kill many provs in 1 wave which worked but took alot effort from everyone. Then Nebu left, and i became king, and got a player in my KD called Ness We ruled this KD in 2ages, and then i got a new spot in FREE.. I was there a long time.. then our proud alliance called TR changed name to Lotus and we got alot top KDs in there... then it came again.. out of the sky killing the KD a mass deletion again.. so.. i took a break.. a long break.. and now this break is finished, but i aint in FREE tho its what i would wish.. but what the hell still a Lotus

Well thats my story as a prov, KD and allliance.. Well as KD Legendary and FREE was my KDs.. and will always be my KD's.. i just love them..

What drives my gear in this game is the action in a nice well placed wave.. the people to talk to.. and just the fun with an nice alliance war like Lotus vs 9farts..

Well thats the Danes coins.. hope its good enough
View Public Profile Find more posts by etonic Add etonic to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Feb-2007 at 14:10)

to be honest i miss the old days, back in the MYTH days and around age 4 - 8 or so i had my most fun, starting out in top kds, then going ghetto and having to relearn to play at the top when i joined a MYTH kd was prolly my best time in utopia. After that i became a bit of a whore to be honest, changed where i played way to much untill i decided to make my own project which ive pulled out of this age cause well people who know me know the circumstances.

anyway later ages i liked the KLECHO war, was very fun.

but what keeps me in this game?, i dunno i wanna be the best i can be at it, its firmly addicted, and although i think the game gets worse and worse i still find myself drawn to it, getting up at stupid times *im only online now cause i wave in an hour* etc, i could say the people, like firn, rage and many more and a huge part is that, but to be honest i still play it to be good at something, im the kinda guy that when i come home or when im at home i need to be excelling in something, same as in life, i like to excell at what i choose to do, goes for games as well, for the last well for a bloody long time thats been utopia, when it dies itll be something else, but ill always be around in some game or another trying to excell in it, its just who i am and i seek it as a way to relax as wierd as getting up at 3 am for waves sounds relaxing, it suprisingly is.

Saint Sinner for President 2012
You're all fucking stupid
You're mafia, dont deny it.
Absalom
View Public Profile Find more posts by Skraz Add Skraz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Feb-2007 at 15:12)

My Utopia

Up until a few seconds ago I had almost forgotten how I got to start playing the one and only game ive continously played for 8-9 years (with exception for 10 months of military service). It was my cousin that tipped me off about the game, I printed the guide and fell asleep in a sea of papers and numbers.

Quote:
"Join the world's largest interactive strategy webgame. Immerse yourself in a fantasy atmosphere of real-time, team-oriented gaming like nothing else on the web."
For the first few years this "fantasy atmosphere" actually held true for me, I played with some really awesome people that helped keep the magic alive. Roleplaying in the forums with for example: the adventures of me as a halfling-thief stealing the money from the tavern etc.

We bonded well and were proud to play in the same KD and for eachother under the rule of Elfsteel, our monarch.

But as the years came and went, the atmosphere faded, and left was the same old worn out interface and raw cold hard numbers. So, as the magic disappeared I embraced the numbers/mechanics of the game instead, cause lets face it, the graphics arent much to root about.

The game Utopia is no longer what it used to be, or perhaps I should say, The game Utopia is exactly what it used to be. It has been so many many years, yet it is still the same menu/interface that I used when I began. The concept of the game, the main game design, it still works, but all the other parts is getting hopelessly outdated. And so I ask myself why I still play this game and devote so many hours of my daily life to it, and my best answer would be that I am above all, a creature of habit. The game is part of my daily routines, it is something that I can fall back on any moment of the day incase I am bored or just in need to escape from whatever that is troubleing me.

The people of the game, my KD members and friends are the main reason why the game still works, since the game depends on the interaction of players, the diplomacy, the politics, the bonds between humanbeings that occour when together striving for a common goal etc.

I really hope that in a happy ghetto somewhere right now, there is a young kid like me, who has had the fortune of being surrounded with good people from all over the world that help in creating and maintaining that fantasy atmosphere that I once felt. One thing is certain, the game itself never evolved so it would fail in supporting the fantasy atmosphere, the game never really evolved at all, but my own way of percieving and looking at the game evolved, for good and for worse.

Back then, I didnt know why my utilization was dropping below 65% .. now I know it was because I had a sky high draft rate. But right now I dont go around in the forum thread called "Tavern" stealing the imaginary gold either, like I did back then, and to be perfectly honest, I think I would prefer the good old days. I know its easy to romanticize the past, but regardless, those were good times.

I'd love to volunteer for an interview.

-= Paaarty Party =-
View Public Profile Find more posts by Xalakah Add Xalakah to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Feb-2007 at 16:15)

My Life & Utopia

Hi,

I started playing Utopia somewhere in the second or third year of secondary education. The reason I signed up for the game was mainly the urging of a friend, who said I'd like it. I had absolutely no experience with any type of online game before, and mainly used the internet for MSN up to that point.

So, I started playing because a real life classmate invited me to the game. In the next years, up to the sixth year, on my school there were always some people playing Utopia (this is the Marnix Gymnasium in Rotterdam btw). Especially in the early phases of me playing it was important to me that people I knew in real life were also playing.

I quickly got acquainted with my first kingdom, which I loved. I was the ultimate n00b. Wanted to be monarch right away of course. Instead of dismissing me, the kingdom taught me a lot and I chatted daily with people in it. (I still remember some names: Sovy Kurosei the TM from Canada, who posted a lot on UT too ; Lunk, our monarch and attacker from Australia ; and Batista, a Belgian attacker).

I got my sister to play. I started an alliance pretty soon, and got some of my irl friends to join it. Of course in hindsight I realize how lame all that was.

I've been involved with several alliances since then, such as AF (my own), CoS of Sygnal (very briefly if I remember correctly), YYA of SM Tengu, and various others. I liked the alliance world.

I quit playing for lengthy periods two times if I remember correctly. Somewhere around ages 18-20, and somewhere around 24-30 I missed.

I have once met someone I knew from Utopia only. She was my queen and a terribly sweet girl. She was very ill, though I don't remember the specifics. She came to visit the Netherlands to meet someone else in the kingdom, among other things I presume, and spend a day with me too. I got the day off from school, and we went to a Star Trek movie in the cinema in Rotterdam.
Before our meeting we had called each other regularly, I still remember her voice much clearer than her looks.

I have also met a number of people I knew from UtopiaTemple, but I am not sure how much of that is relevant here. Basically Jenn and Jos have become really good friends of me and Sabbie, but we do not know them through Utopia but through UT rather. I've also visited Meli from UT the previous summer, but again that was through UT and not through Utopia.

The most recent time I started playing Utopia was for nostalgic purposes mainly. I probably had been reading LotR and thinking about all the stuff from years ago. I told my girlfriend Sabrina (Sabbie) that I would be playing again, and she was a bit skeptical, knowing how I was addicted to the game before.
I played in various ghetto's, still do to some extent, and didn't care much for the game. I still don't care much for the game.

I've had my toplist achievements and for some reason I'm actually proud of them.
I also still find it terribly funny that I ended up #6 and #7 in the Net Worth or Land lists of Elves for one age. I had two provinces running on the exact same strategy (dicing) and both finished immediately behind each other in the top lists.

Currently my girlfriend Sabrina is much more active and enthusiastic about the game than I am. We are playing in the same kingdom (yes, traded), and an irl friend of us who lives only a couple of streets away also played in this kingdom (yes, traded). He gave the account to his brother recently though, and that wasn't a great success. Got deleted. There is yet another person we know irl in our kingdom, but I don't know that guy much at all. He's at my old secondary school, where Sabbie still is and where I knew the deleted monarch from.

Well, a few final points/repetitions:

1. Knowing irl people who play the game has been important to me the majority of the time.
2. In my early to late teens I was very susceptible to total addiction to the game, with actually getting up at night for attacks, finding internet locations on vacations and that sort of thing.
3. The alliance world has occupied me for a time.
4. UtopiaTemple has greatly contributed to me staying in the game, and to enjoying the game and community.
5. Currently I don't care for the game at all, yet still play actively. Maybe its because of Sabbie.
6. I took, and to a small extent still take, great pride for achieving toplist notations with my provinces and kingdoms under my monarchy.
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Feb-2007 at 19:01)

alright, thanks for the posts so far

slightly off topic, but I was reading something in another book (Play Between Worlds) where online friends who met each other once did not behave differently towards one another once back online again

Ive met plenty of utopia people - some with which ive been friends for 6 years - and i cant say ive treated them any differently after we met.

Im sure some of you must have met fellow Utopians in the flesh - did any of you treat them differently afterwards?

"Observers worldwide have been expressing great pity for the people of Gaza [...] This pity may be a natural emotional reaction, yet it is unethical and immoral." - Adi Dvir, Ynetnews editor
View Public Profile Find more posts by Peppie Add Peppie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Feb-2007 at 20:30)
I actually started playing because of a friend's boyfriend. I didn't approve of him and wanted to protect her. I thought then that I might find out more about him if I knew him and his habits better and started to talk to him.

After a certain amount of time, we got comfortable enough with each other to talk about what we did in our spare time. I played paintball and he played Utopia. I believe when we talked (some fifteen ages ago), he was a human sage and recommended that I start off playing a theif/mage role, so I rolled a feary/mystic and started into it. Since then, I've been hooked to my kingdom and haven't left! I know everyone by their first names and I have recently taken over as monarch.

I guess its rather ironic that my plot was foiled and, now that I think about it, I probably approve of him more than I do her!

-Jack
View Public Profile Find more posts by No pants on me Add No pants on me to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Feb-2007 at 20:44)
Late edit to the above:
I will always remember the mates that I've met along the way with much fondness: Kent, the Canadian king that will always be king, regardless of his roll; Izzy, the paranoid Singaporean that stuck with me throughout; his cousin Aeneas, the best newbie in the game, for more reasons than his skills; Mika, the illest thief master I've ever seen, and Karla and Kimmie, the two sweetest advisers that were always around to keep my head about me.

-Jack
View Public Profile Find more posts by No pants on me Add No pants on me to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Feb-2007 at 05:47)

Re: Utopia Thesis: Please post your stories and thoughts

Originally Posted by Peppie: View Post
alright, thanks for the posts so far

slightly off topic, but I was reading something in another book (Play Between Worlds) where online friends who met each other once did not behave differently towards one another once back online again

Ive met plenty of utopia people - some with which ive been friends for 6 years - and i cant say ive treated them any differently after we met.

Im sure some of you must have met fellow Utopians in the flesh - did any of you treat them differently afterwards?
ive met several utopians, never treated them any differently after meeting them either, got closer to a few of them yes, but still treated them the same

Absalom
View Public Profile Find more posts by Skraz Add Skraz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Feb-2007 at 12:30)

Does anyone know of any prominent peers of Utopia (preferably from pre-2000)

Planetarion springs to mind, are there any other significant ones? Im interested in the context in which Utopia arose... If there are any people who intensely played another similar webgame like this, kindly state some of the unique differences Utopia has?

Thanks

(27-Feb-2007 at 13:32)
well, i must say i mainly play for the people, i have 2 RL friends traded into my kd, and 2-3 other people whom i have close friendships with

i got put onto this game by some school friends, i only played for ~1 age, before ~20-25 of us all got deleted as we were logging in from school took a large break, then after 2 years, sorta went, "screw this, ill give it another shot" and after alot of ghetto hopping landed in a half decent kd

but my main story is the friendship i have had for the past 3-4 years with a girl on the other side of the world (literally)... she randomed in and the two of us started talking simply due to the fact that i was vice-monarch at the time and we needed to co-ordinate attacks etc in my semi-ghetto, as time progressed, and the kd got worse and worse, our conversations became less about the game, and about RL, we soon became good friends... we have never met in RL, as both of us are still at school/uni, but i would consider her one of my best friends.

many of my RL friends fail to understand how i can rate someone whom i have never met so highly, and im sure many people here have also found this problem. But when you share so much with someone, from break ups, to crushes, to family/friendship problems etc, and get both sympathy and honesty (where both are due) it is something that cannot be taken lightly. and soon becomes something you really do treasure, and value

also i found that as time has gone on, and my IT degree has progressed i have found that i am enjoying the other aspects of the game more... i have started writing an attack calculator in linux, and have found it to be thoroughly interesting, challenging and exciting (as geeky as that sounds ). this game has led me in direction both which i wanted (friendships) and didnt want (waking up @ 1-3am is really un-fun, once upon a time i would swear at people who rang me @ 2 am...)

with the friends ive made, and the experiences ive had, i barely regret a moment of my time with utopia, although there are times it has distracted me when i should of been doing uni/school work... but overall it as been a great thing

"there are no atheists in foxholes"
thats not an argument against atheists, but an argument against foxholes

Last edited by greenie9, 27-Feb-2007 at 13:38.
View Public Profile Find more posts by greenie9 Add greenie9 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Feb-2007 at 13:52)

Originally Posted by Peppie: View Post
Does anyone know of any prominent peers of Utopia (preferably from pre-2000)

Planetarion springs to mind, are there any other significant ones? Im interested in the context in which Utopia arose... If there are any people who intensely played another similar webgame like this, kindly state some of the unique differences Utopia has?

Thanks
i started when everyone was new in the betas, so i was self taught mainly, however i always viewed a guy named rodomontade as kinda someone to look up to and emulate in utopia, he wasnt a big name, but he played the game better than anyone else ive since played with, which is a big statement considering some of the names i have played with, he was just brilliant, but he would never leave the ghetto scene because his work meant he was offline for a good 12 hours a day and thus really couldnt dedicate himself to a top kd.

Absalom
(27-Feb-2007 at 14:34)

lightbulb

Perhaps I've got something which may be interesting to write a little bit on. You could maybe look at the "quest for fair play" in the game.

By this I mean alliances and organisations specifically targetted against cheaters. Mainly Zea Rebellion comes to mind. Does anyone remember Zea? It was pretty cool. Basically it collected evidence of multi's, cross loggers and gangbangers and then kicked their asses. I've even been on the High Council of Zea for a while.

If this subject interests you, you could try and find Honour and Valour, the guy who led Zea during the time I was involved in it.
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Feb-2007 at 14:44)

Originally Posted by Apeiron: View Post
Perhaps I've got something which may be interesting to write a little bit on. You could maybe look at the "quest for fair play" in the game.

By this I mean alliances and organisations specifically targetted against cheaters. Mainly Zea Rebellion comes to mind. Does anyone remember Zea? It was pretty cool. Basically it collected evidence of multi's, cross loggers and gangbangers and then kicked their asses. I've even been on the High Council of Zea for a while.

If this subject interests you, you could try and find Honour and Valour, the guy who led Zea during the time I was involved in it.

ive been reading this site for a while now:

http://www.avidgamers.com/Library/menu.ulib.html

all the drama of the early ages make great thesis material

if you could post your own account of the zea rebellion (i faintly remember something like that, have only played since age 10 though) thatd be sweet

Thanks so far, everyone!

(27-Feb-2007 at 15:34)

If I remember correctly, the Zea Rebellion started in a kingdom where the monarch - Zea - was behaving unfair. He was razing people for not agreeing with him, I think. I was not involved in any of that though.

Out of the people that banded together to overcome this guy, a sort of alliance was formed. This alliance, called Zea Rebellion, would not be like any ordinary alliances. Rather, it would stick up for anyone who was the victim of cheaters in the game. Whether they were a member of Zea or not.

To achieve this goal, Zea started enlisting the help of many alliances in the game. That is around the time that I came in. My small n00b alliance, AF, was up to about 100 provinces by then and we joined Zea and changed our alliance to something similar. We'd only be fighting cheaters from that point on, and not doing anything special for our members. This was of course also a way to evade all the criticism alliances endured (perhaps another thing to write a few sentences about), and to attract new members.

Zea pretty much became a meeting place for many large alliances for a while. The cases they took on were usually handled with diplomacy only, and unfortunately bureaucracy in Zea was so slow that often much damage had been done before they stepped in. I don't remember much of my time on the High Council. I think if you want to know much about Zea itself, you best contact HaV, or H&V, don't remember how he was abbreviated. Anyway, Honour and Valour led the alliance for a long while and he knows A LOT about the history of the game.
(27-Feb-2007 at 15:39)

i think one of the more fascinating facets of this game is the anti-alliance history. Apparently you had these kind of spontaneous revolutions vs asshole players already in the betas and age 1

People will also recall RUST (anti-IRON) and maybe the people banding together against HaLL and (?) CSB on WoL a few years back

Are there any recent examples of this?

(28-Feb-2007 at 00:05)
People only ever banded together to take someone down when there was something in it for them. Zea was a joke as far as I can tell that operated at the lowest levels with minimal success.

What Evil Lurks...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Ironballs Add Ironballs to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Feb-2007 at 00:32)

why i play this game, good question.

i started playing this game when i was in highschool. a friend of mine also played it and he said it was great fun. he started playing because of the boyfriend of his sister, that guy was actually a pretty decent player and played in kd's like FT later on.

i always randomned into ghetto's and semi ghetto's untill in landed in FREE (there you come into the picture pep ). i really liked to play in an organised kd but when we had mass deletions i tried to land a prov into our kd with an email tied to the one i registered my main account with. i got deleted because of that. i actually quit playing at that point untill i met a guy at local mc donalds, protagoras/melines (we both worked there) and found out he also played utopia and he arranged me a spot in the kd he played in.

since then the main reason i played utopia is/was because he also played it and whenever possible we would play in the same kd.

he recently quit utopia unfortunately because of a internship and i decided to continue to play and try to get my kd to be the best on the server. that's about it i guess.

most fun i ever had in utopia was during the klecho allaince war. nothing beats that, unless maybe when we finished nr 1 honor.

Pleasure Palace FTW
View Public Profile Find more posts by arSinner Add arSinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote