Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(14-Aug-2008 at 15:45)

Question of authority

Who or what do you accept as your highest authority? What do you submit yourself to (if you do so)?

[Holy Qur'an (Surah Al-Furqan; the Criterion]
Blessed is He who sent down the criterion to His servant, that it may be an admonition to all creatures (25:1)
But the misbelievers say: "Naught is this but a lie which he has forged [...] (25:4)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Armitage Add Armitage to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as matinog)
(14-Aug-2008 at 16:04)

myself, i am the only person accountable for my actions.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mandraque Add Mandraque to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Aug-2008 at 16:05)

Well submit is a bit strong but let's say i try not too break to many laws. Apart from that i guess i respect the opinion of my friends and i am willing to listen if someone backs up his arguments well and present a nice case

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Aug-2008 at 17:08)

I hold myself as the highest authority in my life - well, my conscious at least. I do nothing which contradicts my morals ... and I've been tested too many times.

I'm not religious, so I have no issues with God - or any other supreme being(s) - hanging over my head dictating what I must do or how I must live.

I'll take advice and laws and such under advisement, but ultimately I have to be able to look at myself at the end of the day ... and the only way I can do that is if I feel I've done what I believe to be right. And yes, I have broken laws and such because in those situations I believed it to be necessary and right.
View Public Profile Visit Roxtin's homepage Find more posts by Roxtin Add Roxtin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Aug-2008 at 17:36)

Re: Question of authority

Originally Posted by Armitage: View Post
Who or what do you accept as your highest authority? What do you submit yourself to (if you do so)?
What do you mean with highest authority? Someone or something that you follow blindly and never question? If that's what you mean then I'd say that's a very dangerous thing to have for anyone.

Modern world I'm not pleased to meet you

You just bring me down
View Public Profile Find more posts by Caelis666 Add Caelis666 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Aug-2008 at 19:03)

I dont know, take it as you want to define it. But if you insist, with authority i mean someone or something you give legitimation over yourself to a degree which is up to you.

I think submit is a strong word, yes, but if i dont use such a strong word, this question wont be interesting.

peace

Blessed is He who sent down the criterion to His servant, that it may be an admonition to all creatures (25:1)
But the misbelievers say: "Naught is this but a lie which he has forged [...] (25:4)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Armitage Add Armitage to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Aug-2008 at 19:12)

I dont know, take it as you want to define it. But if you insist, with authority i mean someone or something you give legitimation over yourself to a degree which is up to you.

I think submit is a strong word, yes, but if i dont use such a strong word, this question wont be interesting.

peace
I doubt that the question is very interesting anyway. Stated in this way, the only possible positive answer is God. So basically, you are asking 'are you a believer?'.

You just bring me down
View Public Profile Find more posts by Caelis666 Add Caelis666 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Aug-2008 at 20:31)

Truth.

Your brain is unique in the history of the universe. Use it wisely.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Dusk Illz Add Dusk Illz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Aug-2008 at 21:13)

I think God is just one possible answer if you ask such a question in a forum where people have different backgrounds. Is there just one possible answer? No, because the topic is too generally formulated.

(14-Aug-2008 at 21:17)

I think God is just one possible answer if you ask such a question in a forum where people have different backgrounds. Is there just one possible answer? No, because the topic is too generally formulated.
There's no other authority a person could submit to. It's either a god, or none. Nobody submits to their government or what not, so what else is left? Nothing.

Last edited by activ8, 14-Aug-2008 at 21:18.
View Public Profile Find more posts by activ8 Add activ8 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Aug-2008 at 22:59)

Originally Posted by Dusk Illz: View Post
Truth.
What does that even mean, accepting truth as your highest authority? As far as I know, truth has never issued a command.

You just bring me down
(15-Aug-2008 at 15:32)

My conscience demands truthfulness of me on a regular basis.

View Public Profile Find more posts by Dusk Illz Add Dusk Illz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Aug-2008 at 15:45)

Quote:
My conscience demands truthfulness of me on a regular basis.
So that's your conscience doing the demanding, not truth.

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Aug-2008 at 15:57)

Originally Posted by Dusk Illz: View Post
Truth.
I used to be the same way ... but in my experiences, the truth is something which is impossible to obtain.

While a very admirable and idealistic concept to hold as your authority, having a more realistic guiding light may be better suited for life's journey. However, I do applaud you should you continue to hold truth above all else.
View Public Profile Visit Roxtin's homepage Find more posts by Roxtin Add Roxtin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(16-Aug-2008 at 19:14)

I’m pretty sure, if a god exists, they would have no great desire to save the souls of people who believe simply to “hedge their bet.” I think it’s sad to believe in a god for no other reason than you think a reward will follow. I also find it sad that you think not believing in a god means you have no meaning on earth. Essentially, the earth is nothing but a waiting room for the afterlife?

“Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything, tolerance is for the weak and oppressed"
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bierkrug Add Bierkrug to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(17-Aug-2008 at 02:48)

Originally Posted by Spectre19: View Post
So that's your conscience doing the demanding, not truth.
Linguistically youre right, but in reality it would be just as correct to say truth demands that I behave accordingly, or that my true me demands truthfulness of me. Conscience, Authority, Truth; they're all words that point to the same thing in this case.. it's mainly our use of verbs that makes it seem as if the former demands, and thus is different from, the latter.

Originally Posted by Roxtin: View Post
I used to be the same way ... but in my experiences, the truth is something which is impossible to obtain.

While a very admirable and idealistic concept to hold as your authority, having a more realistic guiding light may be better suited for life's journey. However, I do applaud you should you continue to hold truth above all else.
Thanks, but i think it is in fact the only realistic guiding light. I understand the point you're raising though; thinking you can obtain truth is a highly troublesome ideal. But thinking that because you can't obtain it, you now also no longer have to strive for it, that's an equally big pitfall though. Ideals aren't to be fully realized, they're simply to be kept from straying too far from..

(20-Aug-2008 at 01:30)

Im hoping to get another answer to some questions i have.

Do you, and i would like you to think about this before you give an answer, do you trust anything besides yourself. To remain on topic. Do you or can you trust anthing else than yourself as your authority. Or to say, if you said you submit to something else than yourself, then do you really think you also give the trust to this someone or something?

Is giving out trust a good thing. Can you possibly imagine being a person who could completely believe and trust in a something or someone?

peace and btw. thanks for the replies so far.

(20-Aug-2008 at 02:19)

Do you, and i would like you to think about this before you give an answer, do you trust anything besides yourself. To remain on topic. Do you or can you trust anthing else than yourself as your authority. Or to say, if you said you submit to something else than yourself, then do you really think you also give the trust to this someone or something?

Is giving out trust a good thing. Can you possibly imagine being a person who could completely believe and trust in a something or someone?
I do not trust anything a person tells me. Friends, family, professors ... anything which I concern myself with, I will gather all the information on from as many sources as possible, weigh the information then I will make as complete of a decision on the matter as I can, now that I have as much information as possible. But still, I'm skeptical of that because I don't know how much of what I was told to be true ... I live a very distrustful life now, it really is sad who I've become.

I wasn't always like this - I used to believe in the innate goodness of a person; that ultimately, the person would be honest with me ... so I trusted pretty much everybody all the time. I was young and naive ... or just stupid, both fit. I had lots of friends and I enjoyed spending time with them. But because of who I've become - I no longer have any friends (well, nobody I consider a friend because I no longer trust anybody I know. But there are plenty of people who consider my their friend and wish to interact with me on a regular basis), I live as secluded as I can because I no longer wish to deal with people most of the time.

Is giving out trust a good thing? Its beneficial to an extent, certainly makes life easier ... but if you trust too much or too often, then you stand a greater chance of getting hurt by somebody you hold close. As for imagining myself as a person who could completely trust and believe in anything or anyone - no, my skepticism and cynicism have become too deeply ingrained into who I am to ever reach that state again. Sometimes that realization gives me the strength to know I'll survive whatever comes my way in the future ... and other times, it saddens me because I do live a very lonely life.

There are two saying that I like - Trust, but verify - that I now try my best to uphold when I deal with life, and the other, made popular by House - Everybody lies - I have found to be the most honest statement ever.
(20-Aug-2008 at 11:33)

Again, a veiled way of asking whether people are believers. Believing and trusting someone's judgement on all matters is quite insane if you know that that person has limited abilities. Only God can be completely trusted because of his supposed almightines. s

You just bring me down
(23-Aug-2008 at 03:24)
The temperance and moderation of our soul according to any authority only gives our mind room slacken and wander into all realms of fantasy. Sometimes excess and intoxication can reveal a truer nature in man. It could be said that without some form and feeling of recklessness our sense of the world can become materially and spiritually weak.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Gotterdammerung Add Gotterdammerung to your Buddy List Reply with Quote