Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Discussions > Utopia Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(29-Aug-2010 at 23:21)
What happened to Utopia?

I played Utopia a few years back, I think I quit during 2006. Anyways the swirve website seems to be gone and Utopia is on a different site, the game seems a little bit changed and the interface is terrible... Can someone run me through what happened these past years?
View Public Profile Find more posts by TheValiant Add TheValiant to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Aug-2010 at 23:12)
Hi

Well Mehul sold the game to Omac. Omac began with the original code then hired a couple of guys to rewrite the game.

Unfortunately, rewriting a game is not so easy when you've no experience of the game or of writing games.

So it was buggy, slow. This has been compounded by crazy rule changes which have not helped either.

After a depressing and frustrating attempt to try and point out various problems with the game and the direction it was going, I decided that they might have bought the game, but not our community.

So I took it upon myself to write a game in the spirit of swirves utopia-

www.thebattlefields.info

Playerbase is still small, but its growing - please give it your support. I am confident anyone who tries it will like what has been done so far.
View Public Profile Find more posts by BF Developer Add BF Developer to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.88
(31-Aug-2010 at 20:01)

Re: What happened to Utopia?

Originally Posted by BF Developer: View Post
Hi

Well Mehul sold the game to Omac. Omac began with the original code then hired a couple of guys to rewrite the game.

Unfortunately, rewriting a game is not so easy when you've no experience of the game or of writing games.

So it was buggy, slow. This has been compounded by crazy rule changes which have not helped either.

After a depressing and frustrating attempt to try and point out various problems with the game and the direction it was going, I decided that they might have bought the game, but not our community.

So I took it upon myself to write a game in the spirit of swirves utopia-

www.thebattlefields.info

Playerbase is still small, but its growing - please give it your support. I am confident anyone who tries it will like what has been done so far.
This is a bit misleading as it reads like an add for your game...then again maybe its just that.

The game in short was sold to Jolt. Which is an Irish game company which hosts numerous games. They took over utopia some years ago, and have seemed to have had some difficulty with the transition, mostly from long term players of the game. The forum community on Jolt has been less than pleased with how it has been run it seems and they have spun off their own version Utopia Kingdoms. They have changed the interface and rules quite a bit over time for reasons that were a bit...odd, blaming hackers at first and then a bug. Omac industries bought swirve, which is how the coders at Jolt got their hands on the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolt_On...g#Hosted_Games

All that being said, give BFD's game a shot and see what you think, you may find it to be what you are looking for.

Heisenberg may have slept here. But we'll never know how fast asleep he was
Good god...
To the rapturous, wild, and ineffable pleasure of drinking at somebody elseís expense.

Adding to entropy...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Kyleesha Add Kyleesha to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
(03-Sep-2010 at 09:14)
most people find problemin utopia
View Public Profile Find more posts by hammery Add hammery to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Sep-2010 at 11:48)

Originally Posted by Kyleesha: View Post
This is a bit misleading as it reads like an add for your game...then again maybe its just that.
actually his description is pretty accurate he was vague enough not to point fingers and say jolt fucked utopia and did it via giving the game to virgin coders.

Fear is the foundation of most governments
Five years of banning
04-Dec-2002 Starfriend Spamming
11-Dec-2007 Saint Sinner Off-Topic Post
Happy Wooden anniversary
View Public Profile Find more posts by HarleyQuinnROX Add HarleyQuinnROX to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Sep-2010 at 01:14)

And that given almost 3 years still cant fix more than they screw up,as when they do make changes it causes normally more bugs and problems yet the game above in a matter of months ( much like mehul did ) was created and works so much better and bugs normally get fixed when found. bad coding versus good coding

x-NI Senator
x-SOV. NH
Heru en'Arvandor (Lord of Heaven)
Taure en'Arvandor [TA]
View Public Profile Find more posts by Thunder TA Add Thunder TA to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Sep-2010 at 10:13)

Originally Posted by freddg: View Post
haha,your words also looks vague
vague/vāg/Adjective
1. Of uncertain, indefinite, or unclear character or meaning: "patients with vague symptoms".
2. Thinking or communicating in an unfocused or imprecise way: "he had been vague about his activities"

........... um yeh sure

Fear is the foundation of most governments
Five years of banning
04-Dec-2002 Starfriend Spamming
11-Dec-2007 Saint Sinner Off-Topic Post
Happy Wooden anniversary
View Public Profile Find more posts by HarleyQuinnROX Add HarleyQuinnROX to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Sep-2010 at 01:05)

Originally Posted by HarleyQuinnROX: View Post
vague/vāg/Adjective
1. Of uncertain, indefinite, or unclear character or meaning: "patients with vague symptoms".
2. Thinking or communicating in an unfocused or imprecise way: "he had been vague about his activities"

........... um yeh sure
You're replying to a robot.

If all else fails, call someone a troll.
that can be fixed... / ∆
View Public Profile Find more posts by Greeney Add Greeney to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Sep-2010 at 21:50)

you have heard the politics side of what happen to Utopia (from above)

now let me tell u how it affected the actual game play as simplest as possible

-------------

- Mehul sold swirve to OMAC/Jolt
- Got new developers to create new game coding ("rewrite the code")
- OMAC/Jolt moved the Mehul-Code game to their own server
- Developers finished rough draft of code (pre-Alpha)
- OMAC/Jolt decided to transfer the database information from old code to new code on Beta
- Game was in freeze mode for months (1-2) while they finished bug testing
- When the game finally started up there were stopping periods of about 1-2 weeks to fix other bugs
- Monarchs had trouble keeping players active as many lost interest in the game due to problems
- Players can now join kingdoms using codes that Monarchs obtained...kingdoms can now be built as well instead of only randomly formed
- www.thebattlefields.info is really becoming a better version of the classic game

========================

If OMAC/Jolt is smart they would pay BFD to save the game by using his code...but once BFD finishes the Facebook App he might as well try and buy it his version would really take off

"Respect the one who defends his land with bravery, but honor the price he pays to fulfill his duty."
-DonJuan, The Legendary KaMiKaZe King
PyroManiaC | [email protected] | SC2 BattleNet: DonJuan5420
View Public Profile Visit xX DonJuan Xx's homepage Find more posts by xX DonJuan Xx Add xX DonJuan Xx to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Sep-2010 at 05:54)

Kicks DJ. glad to see you still come in here from time to time

x-NI Senator
x-SOV. NH
Heru en'Arvandor (Lord of Heaven)
Taure en'Arvandor [TA]
View Public Profile Find more posts by Thunder TA Add Thunder TA to your Buddy List Reply with Quote