Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(01-Jul-2003 at 04:43)

Why do you think YOUR religon is the right one?

First off, little note, you Atheists out there, you can watch, but don't get involved in the conversation, this isn't about you, this is only about people who have some sort of faith, Atheism is the lack of faith.

Christians, Muslims, Wiccans, Jews, *tries to think of any other religion represented here at UT* Buddhists (on second thought, maybe Bhuddists better stay out of this too), ahm, or whatever, why do you think that YOUR religon is the correct one?

Atheists may argue that you need proof, but proof flies in the face of Faith. Faith is what drives religon, not rationality. Everyone with a particular belief has Faith, but what makes you think that your faith is the right one? How do you know that your way is the correct one?

Sygnalor the Accountinator
Able to file 1040's faster than a speeding bullet
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sygnal Add Sygnal to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as dravid)
(01-Jul-2003 at 05:47)
My view that Christianity is the right faith stems from my belief in the Bible. The bible despite the fact that it was written over thousands of years but numerous authors yet still has remarkable unity. Plus the fact it has been supported by archaelogy, prophecy etc

Plus I also think it is interesting that Christianity is the only religion in which you can't save yourself. Everything is done for you...

Last edited by Aussie Dravid, 01-Jul-2003 at 05:48.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Aussie Dravid Add Aussie Dravid to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(01-Jul-2003 at 05:54)

I don't feel mine is the right one. And I am deeply faithful. I see my faith as "the one and the many".

All gods are one god. We use different representations, stories and other sources to embrace the concept of our individual faiths.

In essence, however, faith is faith. All are the same. Perception of them is where the difference lies.

"Do or Do not. There is no Try."
-Yoda
View Public Profile Find more posts by quill Add quill to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $5.32
(01-Jul-2003 at 14:43)

Quote:
(Originally posted by quill)

I don't feel mine is the right one. And I am deeply faithful. I see my faith as "the one and the many".

All gods are one god. We use different representations, stories and other sources to embrace the concept of our individual faiths.

In essence, however, faith is faith. All are the same. Perception of them is where the difference lies.

I completely agree. Like Sygnal himself said in a different thread about the golden rule/karma/rule of 3 running through all religions.. I am totally into that. I love finding the places where religions fit together like a well sewn quilt. Its really quite amazing.. its like a chain reaction.

I don't feel any one religion is right.. just as I don't feel any one religion is wrong.. they just have some screwed up concepts.
I think the thing that binds us is the energy we put faces to whether it be Allah or Jesus, or a Goddess or whatever.. it is all the same and it is not so much a Higher Power as it is an energy and life force which binds us all together.. binds us to the earth and all its creatures..
Look at the movie Final Fantasy.. you'll know what I'm talking about.

-For those who fight all over the world.. fight for peace, fight for freedom, and fight for their lives..
Will someone please give Bush a BJ already so we can start the Impeachment?
View Public Profile Visit muirgein's homepage Find more posts by muirgein Add muirgein to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(02-Jul-2003 at 00:22)

I am not religious, but I was speaking to a religious friend of mine and asked him this question, and basically this is the response he gave:

He believes Christianity is the one true faith and other faiths such as Judaism and Islam were perverted by the Devil and thus their word is corrupted.
He also expressed sorrow for the Jews, as he wishes they right since they have had such a hard time with history.

"America was designed by genuises so that it could be operated by idiots."
View Public Profile Visit DavidFF7's homepage Find more posts by DavidFF7 Add DavidFF7 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $5.32
(02-Jul-2003 at 00:35)

Quote:
(Originally posted by DavidFF7)

I am not religious, but I was speaking to a religious friend of mine and asked him this question, and basically this is the response he gave:

He believes Christianity is the one true faith and other faiths such as Judaism and Islam were perverted by the Devil and thus their word is corrupted.
He also expressed sorrow for the Jews, as he wishes they right since they have had such a hard time with history.
Does he know Jesus was a Jew?

-For those who fight all over the world.. fight for peace, fight for freedom, and fight for their lives..
View Public Profile Visit muirgein's homepage Find more posts by muirgein Add muirgein to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(02-Jul-2003 at 01:07)

Yes, but he thought that the fact that Jews did not regard him as their ultimate savior condemned them to hell, and for this he felt sorry for the Jews and wished they had made the 'correct' decision and chosen Christianity.

"America was designed by genuises so that it could be operated by idiots."
View Public Profile Visit DavidFF7's homepage Find more posts by DavidFF7 Add DavidFF7 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(02-Jul-2003 at 03:35)

Quote:
(Originally posted by DavidFF7)

Yes, but he thought that the fact that Jews did not regard him as their ultimate savior condemned them to hell, and for this he felt sorry for the Jews and wished they had made the 'correct' decision and chosen Christianity.
Maybe it's me but I don't think the Jews are going to hell. A praciting Jew is the same as a Christian as in regards to heavenly matters

militant Liberal Christian..funny string of words I got there
"when life gives you Lemons eat them whole..Peal and all"
-the great Ipoc
UNITE! SPARK THE FIRE!
View Public Profile Find more posts by jahwarrior Add jahwarrior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $5.32
(02-Jul-2003 at 03:59)

Quote:
(Originally posted by jahwarrior)

Maybe it's me but I don't think the Jews are going to hell. A praciting Jew is the same as a Christian as in regards to heavenly matters
Why would it matter the name at all as along as they were good, loving and giving people?

This is what I can't understand about Christianity.. its willingness to completely ignore decent people in favor of people who simply lip sync with the rest of the crowd.
I believe they are known as "Sunday Christians" because they are people who only think about christianity and its teachings on Sunday when they go to church. I knew one such woman.. a so called "decent god-fearing woman" who was cheating on her husband.
Christians have no problem doing bad things and then forgiving each other but when it comes to others, the sympathy stops and its repent or burn.
It doesnt matter if they do it over and over again, as long as they say those little magic words before they die.. "I confess my sins."

Isn't it lovely that a child molester or a constant adulterer, or just plain mean and nasty person could get into heaven without even ever working at it?

(02-Jul-2003 at 05:45)

Quote:
(Originally posted by muirgein)

Why would it matter the name at all as along as they were good, loving and giving people?

This is what I can't understand about Christianity.. its willingness to completely ignore decent people in favor of people who simply lip sync with the rest of the crowd.
I believe they are known as "Sunday Christians" because they are people who only think about christianity and its teachings on Sunday when they go to church. I knew one such woman.. a so called "decent god-fearing woman" who was cheating on her husband.
Christians have no problem doing bad things and then forgiving each other but when it comes to others, the sympathy stops and its repent or burn.
It doesnt matter if they do it over and over again, as long as they say those little magic words before they die.. "I confess my sins."

Isn't it lovely that a child molester or a constant adulterer, or just plain mean and nasty person could get into heaven without even ever working at it?
See I don't really believe that sunday Christians will go to heaven and those death bed repentances are always alittle questionable. If some one does a death bed repentances they truly have to believe and they have to live up to Christian morals as best as they can.

But I see sunday Christians as a big probelm because the they do things like that and they don't see that Christianity is more than believing in christ and saying "I confess my sins". Christianity is believing in Christ's morals and trying to uphold them

militant Liberal Christian..funny string of words I got there
"when life gives you Lemons eat them whole..Peal and all"
-the great Ipoc
UNITE! SPARK THE FIRE!

Last edited by jahwarrior, 02-Jul-2003 at 05:46.
View Public Profile Find more posts by jahwarrior Add jahwarrior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(02-Jul-2003 at 07:28)

I don't feel that my Religion is the "one" right Religion. It is however, the one right Religion for me. Everyone must find thier own path in life and what you do or do not believe is part of that. Religion isn't something that someone can just tell you, "You have to believe in this because it's the only way". It just doesn't work that way. Every person believes in different things, that's why there's so many Religions out there. You just have to find the one that's right for you.

Fight the Fear
Freedom of Religion means ALL Religions
Proud member of the Wiccan Religion
View Public Profile Visit Kallie's homepage Find more posts by Kallie Add Kallie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $5.32
(02-Jul-2003 at 14:46)

Quote:
(Originally posted by jahwarrior)

See I don't really believe that sunday Christians will go to heaven and those death bed repentances are always alittle questionable. If some one does a death bed repentances they truly have to believe and they have to live up to Christian morals as best as they can.

But I see sunday Christians as a big probelm because the they do things like that and they don't see that Christianity is more than believing in christ and saying "I confess my sins". Christianity is believing in Christ's morals and trying to uphold them
Why would it matter what name the morals came under as long as the people practiced the same morals?
See this is the blindspot in all religions where "ours is the only true faith." They can't admit that it doesnt matter the name under which you're "saved".. as long as you're "saved." The path to light is called many things.. people need to get this through their thick skulls.

(Posted as jh211988)
(User is Banned)
(02-Jul-2003 at 15:17)

Now that you've mentioned it, I confess my sins of hate to all that I have hated, right before your eyes, right before UT.

Ha, that felt better.

Anyway, death bed repentences are really a sad thing. Just before you die you confess your sins so that you get the key to heaven. Bah. I doubt St. Peter will grant you entry, because death bed repentences are truly meaningless, because you have not fulfilled God's destiny for you.

Anyway, I don't think there is a right religion, because you see, there is only one God and He appears differently to different people. All religions have some sort of connection.

Religion is the mental disease of the masses.
"Once again, religion is like sniffing gasoline. Both cause permanant brain damage." -- Obsidian
View Public Profile Find more posts by dothackRAVE Add dothackRAVE to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Jul-2003 at 03:43)

Okay, there seems to be 2 discussions here.

Firstly, do we all worship the same God?

As a Christian, I would say that the God that I worship is the same one that the Jews and the Muslims worship. Wiccans, sorry, no, in my opinion. No insult intended, but in my opinion witchcraft is the total opposite of my religion.

Secondly, do we believe that our God is the right one, and why?

I believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven. That's what my bible tells me, and because I accept it as totally true, I accept that also.

It would be easier if everyone got to heaven in the end, but that can't be true, as God is not Santa Claus. He's righteous and just, and can't stand sin.

About Jews and Muslims, I really respect them, but in my opinion both religions are 'so close, yet so far'. Jews still await a messiah, but according to my beliefs He has already come, and some of them missed Him (some didn't, there is a Jewish church). Muslims, sharing many of the beliefs and prophets of the Jews and Christians, fail to realize that of all the prophets before Muhammad, only one claimed to be Son of God. For Him to have lied would mean that He wasn't a prophet. For Him to be accepted as a prophet would mean that He really was the Son of God. The idea itself is abhorent to Muslims, their God is distant and certainly wouldn't lower Himself to their level by coming to earth.

This means that I totally disagree with all the parts of the Koran written by Muhammad. I don't know where his revelation came from (I believe he didn't make it up, that he really believed it was from God) though. I just believe it couldn't have been from God, because God had already come down as a man to earth.

Please note that these are my opinions. You may feel the need to flame, go ahead, but nothing written here was intended as an insult. In my time in the RGD religious section, I have noticed that the skins here as so thin as to be non-existant, so I just have to state that these is what I believe to be true, and leave it at that. Please be civilised.

-Part of the UT Christian Community
View Public Profile Find more posts by Ketam Add Ketam to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $5.32
(04-Jul-2003 at 04:46)

Why would witchcraft be the opposite of your religion? You obviously know nothing of witchcraft.. or your own religion for that matter.

All gods are one god, all goddesses are one goddess, there is only one Initiator, and it matters not what name its given, only the faith we hold in our hearts.

Believe I will go to hell because I do not "repent" but I love and respect Jesus Christ as I love and respect all gods and goddesses. I think Jesus was a holy man because he knew that all people should love each other, no matter what religion they are but most Christians seem to forget that.

Don't hate them, feel sorry for them.

As I believe in reincarnation, I believe these people will be forced to come back again and live life, trying to learn a lesson of tolerance of love for your fellow man. Heck, even I might be coming back, because I can't quite seem to develope a tolerance for ignorance and self-rightious people who like to put others down to make themselves feel big.

(04-Jul-2003 at 05:08)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Ketam)
Please note that these are my opinions. You may feel the need to flame, go ahead, but nothing written here was intended as an insult. In my time in the RGD religious section, I have noticed that the skins here as so thin as to be non-existant, so I just have to state that these is what I believe to be true, and leave it at that. Please be civilised.
Need I say more?

I was just stating my OPINIONS, get a grip man, as I stated clearly there. And I never mentioned anything about the PEOPLE who hold those religions. Yes Jesus told us to love them, and I do have very good muslim/buddhist friends. But in my personal opinion their religions are either totally false or misguided.

View Public Profile Find more posts by Ketam Add Ketam to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Jul-2003 at 05:22)

Quote:
(Originally posted by muirgein)
actually it's a bit more complicated than that. My opinion is that those 'sunday christians' are out of it. However, they CAN go to heaven, more of that later.

About the point on Christians forgiving each other and having no sympathy to others, let me clarify. When you sin, you sin, and you 'burn' for it (in your own words). It's the price you pay. It doesn't matter whether or not I forgive you (not to you that is) because I'm not the one in judgement. It doesn't matter whether or not you're called a Christian, even, sin's price must be payed. It's just who's doing the paying (see the later paragraph).

Quote:
I think it's lovely, don't you? Do you really really believe that you could be sin-less? As in never having done ANYTHING wrong in your life? That's the only way to 'work' yourself into heaven.

There is another road though, the only one that's available to us. It's called 'free salvation', and the whole concept is based on GRACE. Our sins are forgiven because they've been paid for by Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. Not because of anything WE'VE done.

In God's eyes, the child molester, the constant adulterer, the Sunday Christian, and Mother Teresa are all one and the same, they've ALL sinned and can't go to heaven. But because God loves us, He provided a way to heaven, and that way is Jesus Christ. Jesus died for ALL our sins, and that's the only way to wipe our sins out, doesn't matter how many or how few those sins are.

You said that those 'little magic words' are all that are needed, well, you're both right and wrong. The words don't save you, they're just an utterance of you yourself believing that Jesus died for you and that because of that you're forgiven. You could, at some later date, deny yourself that forgiveness by 'taking back' the repentance you presented to God, for example by intentionally and willfully repeating sinful behaviour again and again. However, no matter what you've done, as long as you realize your wrong and repent (not easy to do), you're going to heaven.

I didn't mean to turn this into a debate thread, but muirgein, you seem to be replying to everyone's answers and debating them, so I just had to reply to yours.

Donated $5.32
(04-Jul-2003 at 05:28)

I'm not trying to debate..
I'm trying to understand such a narrow minded existance thats all.

You have this idea that everyone that doesn't believe what you believe is wrong, and somehow that just smacks of ignorance to me. I'm not debating you, there is no point because you think you'll be saved and everyone who believes otherwise then you won't. How very lonely in heaven you'll be.

Have a game of Parcheesi with Jesus for me.

(Posted as jh211988)
(User is Banned)
(04-Jul-2003 at 06:08)

Quote:
You have this idea that everyone that doesn't believe what you believe is wrong, and somehow that just smacks of ignorance to me. I'm not debating you, there is no point because you think you'll be saved and everyone who believes otherwise then you won't. How very lonely in heaven you'll be.
It IS stated in the Bible that free salvation can bring us to His kingdom.

And I fully agree with Ketam.
I dont know, but muirgein, your ideas sound very Roman Catholic to me, where sin can only be repented for by torturing yourself.

Well, if you dont get me, go find out about Martin Luther.

Religion is the mental disease of the masses.
"Once again, religion is like sniffing gasoline. Both cause permanant brain damage." -- Obsidian
View Public Profile Find more posts by dothackRAVE Add dothackRAVE to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $5.32
(04-Jul-2003 at 07:05)

Quote:
(Originally posted by jh211988)

It IS stated in the Bible that free salvation can bring us to His kingdom.
Oh wow, its written in the bible, a peice of FICTION that has changed hands and languages so many times its original meaning was completely lost anyway, so it must be true.
Did you ever even stop to think that the bible is a metaphor? A symbolic collection of stories, with morals but not to be taken literally?

Quote:
And I fully agree with Ketam.
I dont know, but muirgein, your ideas sound very Roman Catholic to me, where sin can only be repented for by torturing yourself.
Where the heck do you get that from?

People "sin" granted, but that depends on your veiw of sin. See I don't think God would make procreation so damn fun if we weren't ment to do it, for instance. But thats all a matter of opinion.
I also don't think that sins can be punished by man (though all people have a different veiw of such things when put in a situation like a loved one being hurt), but I don't think people burn in hell for eternity. I don't even think there is a hell.
What happens in life when we get something wrong? We do it again, right? You fall off your bike you get back on and ride again.
I think the same is true of life. You screw life up, you die, and you come back and do it all over again until you get it right.