Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Angel > Options Discussions and Suggestions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(05-Apr-2004 at 10:00)
COM for Angel

Is there anyway for an external program to access angel (COM, DDE, Sendmessage(), whatever) and get information (IE, stating that a CB has been loaded into it). This would allow potential for add on and external programs to be able to work in relation with Angel (better history saving, more advanced features and such that will be able to work alongside with angel) while keeping Angel's source secure.

I dont imagine it would be too hard to have it do it, just have it sorta work like how Forum Agent does, just have it have more options and have is send to a program on the local computer.

Some things this would allow the creation of:

Web Based Angel (Export lines and all)

History storage for ALL information (saves everything in an EXE or INI and viola, is stored)

Numerous other add-ons, which could all be uploaded and rated at UT, adding yet another good feature to Angel.

Or possible just make a scripting language for angel, that will work as well of course. But I think this option will allow better access and more universal programming (since it will be able to be accessed in nearly any language).

Just a thought:P
View Public Profile Find more posts by bannertaz Add bannertaz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as illuvata)
Donated $1.88
(05-Apr-2004 at 18:38)
Re: COM for Angel

Quote:
(Originally posted by bannertaz)

Is there anyway for an external program to access angel (COM, DDE, Sendmessage(), whatever) and get information (IE, stating that a CB has been loaded into it). This would allow potential for add on and external programs to be able to work in relation with Angel (better history saving, more advanced features and such that will be able to work alongside with angel) while keeping Angel's source secure.
i wouldn't hold my breath
however, you could just watch the clipboard for angel formated data, grab it, and then pass the export line back when you want angel to do something with it.
i know at least one tool does this, and it works well enough
View Public Profile Find more posts by Illuvatar Add Illuvatar to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Apr-2004 at 05:59)
Why would it not be implemented, it wouldn't be much different then the current Forum Agent system and would make Angel a much better utility overall.

A good reason as to why this idea is not feasable would be nice
View Public Profile Find more posts by bannertaz Add bannertaz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as illuvata)
Donated $1.88
(06-Apr-2004 at 08:22)
Quote:
(Originally posted by bannertaz)

A good reason as to why this idea is not feasable would be nice
it's not that it's not possible, i just don't really believe BG will add it. he's not that hot on other programmes working with angel, so i don't think he'll go out of his way to support them.

having said that, i could be wrong, so feel free to think of ways to convince him
View Public Profile Find more posts by Illuvatar Add Illuvatar to your Buddy List Reply with Quote