Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Temple > Complaints

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(18-Feb-2008 at 05:57)

Suspended Signature

So I recently discovered that my signature has been suspended.

Quote:
Signature suspended for violating the forum's rules.
Signature contained non-English.
"The translation has to be valid, and easily verifiable by a moderator doing a quick search on the Internet."

For future reference, what qualifies as a "quick search"? Is it running the text through Google and seeing what comes up? Or running it through a translation program? Is there an arbitrary time limit?

I tried running what seems to me a quick search. Here are pictures of my process.

The first picture shows a search for a latin dictionary. I chose the very first option. The second picture shows one of the tools the site provides (on the opening page) which allows translation of entire phrases/sentences (and I have entered the sentence in question). When I entered the text, the site gave the possible meanings of each word and in each case (except for one word) there were very few possible meanings. I have included the link instead because a picture would be too large.

I believe that someone unfamiliar with Latin could perform the same search and still make the same translation that I provided with my signature. Furthermore, this search would definitely take less than 5 minutes.

Anyway, I understand that it is not the moderators' job to translate anything. It is just my opinion that verification of my own translation is simple (in this case) when presented with the site mentioned above.

Regardless, I would like to have my signature back. Since a "quick search" failed to work, may I go through word-for-word and prove that my translation really is correct?

Also, I would suggest that if such a thing happens again (with other texts needing to be verified) that the user be given the chance to prove his/her translation to whoever wants the verification.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg google search 2.JPG (54.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg translation site 2.JPG (26.9 KB, 16 views)

"The translation has to be valid, and easily verifiable by a moderator doing a quick search on the Internet."
View Public Profile Find more posts by Draco Eudokus Add Draco Eudokus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(18-Feb-2008 at 06:16)

Without seeing what your sig was I can only assume that it ..
  • Did not have a translation provided
  • The translation was not correct
  • The translation was not verifiable by a staff member

Providing that sig may help, me at least, understand and perhaps better explain why it was suspended.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Donated $27.58
(18-Feb-2008 at 09:52)

I Googled the phrase and didn't easily find a verifiable translation. I'm not going to go looking for some latin dictionary I've never heard of, to translate a phrase word for word. That's not what "easily verifiable" means.

I've attached a screenshot of the signature as it was before suspension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snap279.jpg (48.4 KB, 41 views)

"If You Fall, Ill Be There"
- Floor

Last edited by Konc, 18-Feb-2008 at 09:55.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Konc Add Konc to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(19-Feb-2008 at 03:31)

Re: Suspended Signature

Originally Posted by Konc: View Post
I Googled the phrase and didn't easily find a verifiable translation. I'm not going to go looking for some latin dictionary I've never heard of, to translate a phrase word for word. That's not what "easily verifiable" means.
I know you're not going to go word for word through a dictionary, but I didn't know what your verification process was.

But at least that answered my first question. I also googled it and the only immediate results that came up and had the entire quote were links to my signature at this site. So I understand that it failed that search. But generally I don't find translations on Google. I look for translation sites through Google and then find a translation. I didn't know that the verification process was limited only to Google, so I admit fault on that point.

But back to my final point, may I prove my translation is correct and then have my signature back?

View Public Profile Find more posts by Draco Eudokus Add Draco Eudokus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote