Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > The Lunatic Asylum

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(Posted as Lord Hawk1)
Donated $5.00
(03-Apr-2003 at 04:41)
Abortion

This should be in the "Respectable" GD thread, but I decided to put it here, since this is normally where I am and fool around. I got into this debate with someone that I am living with, and I want to hear everyone's views on it. Here are the choices, obviously

Pro-life: Abortions are unethical and should be illegeal in all hospitals

Pro-Choice: The mother should decide whether it is right or wrong

Here's my opinion:

First of all, I would like to say I am a christan, and I am very devot in many ways (in other ways, not so much). I think abortions, especally late abortions, are very unethical and just plain wrong. The mother should assume responsibility for baring the child, regardless of the circumstances (i.e. rape, ect...). The baby has a reason to be there if god put it there.

But, we do live in a world with many beliefs, and even the bible gives us (christans) the right to choose. I believe that abortion should be decided by the mother, with her being well informed and aware of the risks involved in such operations.

Now, take away all risks to the mother from this arguement, for that should be the mother's own judgement. Forget how barbaric some of the abortion procedures may be, as they are not relevant to the child, or the mother, especally if the motehr is aware of how they would do it.

So, what is there left to argue on the abortion issue? Well, the main focus of this arguement is, obviously, when a child is considered to be living.

I personally believe that a child lives when it has the concept of life in its head, when it actually 'knows' it's living, by eating and touching things willingly, not by spontaneous sensations to its undeveloped brain. When inside of the mother, a child has very, very little feeling, because there are few nerve connections to the brain. And the feelings of pain and pleasure the baby MAY experience aren't comprehended as such.

The concept of life is also learning simple and more complex processes. At birth, a baby only knows how to do one thing, and that is suction. A baby doesn't know how to breathe right, move right, or even control its crying voice. Messages relay to the brain in rapid succession immediately after the child is released from the mother's womb.

It is argued, also, that fragments of memory from prebirth stages show up in some small children. Though this is one downside of abortion, it still takes little away from the fact that the child doesn't have any emotional relation to the bits and peices of memory.

Obviously, I am pro choice on this one, to conclude.

"God does not play dice" -- Albert Einstein
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Hawk Add Lord Hawk to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Lord Drizzt)
Donated $2.20
(03-Apr-2003 at 04:44)

I'm Pro-life, and anyway, this should seriously be in the RGD.

s o u l f i r e
View Public Profile Find more posts by Drizzt Add Drizzt to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Apr-2003 at 04:46)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Lord Drizzt)

I'm Pro-life, and anyway, this should seriously be in the RGD.
Quoted because that's basically what I'd say.

I miss Runey...
Band is good! Band is great! Band is how I got a date!
War Damn Eagle!
I love Reputation! Love it! Gimme Gimme Gimme!!! Please.
View Public Profile Find more posts by StarOwl Add StarOwl to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Apr-2003 at 04:46)
I personally believe it is up to the well informed mother AND FATHER. I don't believe it should all up to the woman, I know I would want a say. But if I ever had to make a choice like that I would say have it and put it up for adoption. So many couples want children but can't have them
View Public Profile Find more posts by jawamast Add jawamast to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Apr-2003 at 04:50)

to start off, this is a VERY touchy subjuect. many ppl will get angry over this.

i totally agree with you. the baby may be alive, but it isnt "alive" in the sense that it cant comprehend what is going on.

it depends on how the baby was concieved whether the mother should be allowed to terminate it or not. if the baby was concieved through rape i believe then and only then should it be allowed to be terminated.

but if it was concieved on "accident"(i.e mother got drunk and had sex, condom broke, etc. etc.) then the mother shouldnt be allowed to terminate the baby.

so, im divided on this matter. btw, im christian too.

Faster faster till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death
In order to maintain peace, one must prepare for war
Expect nothing, be prepared for anything
He who is prepared shall triumph
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bigshot Add Bigshot to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Apr-2003 at 05:06)

Quote:
(Originally posted by jawamast)

I personally believe it is up to the well informed mother AND FATHER.
Well said. So many people forget that it is also the father's child. As for saying that the baby can't comprehend that it's alive, therefore it isn't, could go a long way. People in comas, vegetables, or mentally retarded people. It's not our choice to decide if a soul should recieve it's body, that's already been decided by God whom allowed the pregnancy.
View Public Profile Find more posts by TyBrad11 Add TyBrad11 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Apr-2003 at 05:08)

God may have allowed the pregancy, but you the person have the power to stop the pregancy, so it isnt fate that it happened if it can be prevented. and this is why fate does not exist.

Faster faster till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death
In order to maintain peace, one must prepare for war
Expect nothing, be prepared for anything
He who is prepared shall triumph
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bigshot Add Bigshot to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Lord Hawk1)
Donated $5.00
(03-Apr-2003 at 05:15)
I think it should always be the mother's final decision, and here's why:

For one thing, what about those that are raped? Should the father have a say in it if that happens? Also, though the father DID help make that baby, he is not trapped to it. The father can walk off at any time and say "screw this, I'm not gonna deal with it" and just be gone and not have a single problem. What about the mother? She CANNOT get out of the situation without walking into a possible abortion. She has to go through with all the pains, aches, and worst of all, there is little way out of any of it.

Now, in a marrige, it's a little different. The father, ethically speaking, should have a right to have a sayso in the matter, but the mother should always be the one to have the FINAL say.

"God does not play dice" -- Albert Einstein
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Hawk Add Lord Hawk to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Apr-2003 at 05:20)
How can you say that the father has no say in it??? A friend of mine was stupid and did stuff with a complete skank and he asked her to think about getting an abortion. She said okay but then they broke up. All of a sudden she desided to have the baby and got child support against my friend. Luckly he challanged it and got the baby tested just to realize he wasn't the father. It's a good thing he did that to because about $200 a week would becoming out of his paycheck and going to that slut. Who can you say the father has no role?
View Public Profile Find more posts by jawamast Add jawamast to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Apr-2003 at 05:30)

i think the native indians did a lot of things rite... after their women got raped by euro explorers, they didnt take it out on their kids...

"Light travels faster than sound, so
some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak."

Middle Class Pride
View Public Profile Find more posts by Dilbert Add Dilbert to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Apr-2003 at 06:01)

Pro-Life here. But I think in cases of Rape or incest the mother should be able to decide and then only if she decides early. None of those sick partial birth abortions where they pull the baby half out and then suck its brains out so they can declare it a still birth.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Royal Assassin3 Add Royal Assassin3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as author)
(03-Apr-2003 at 06:04)
There are only two times that their should be a choice:

A. Having the baby could seriously harm the mother and she would likely die (really young girls).
B. The mother was raped.

This said, in modern western society, fathers should not have a say if the mother has an abortion. If a women is raped, the father would not kaer and receive no rights to the child. If she has the child, he should (if known) have to compensate for the child (child support).

If the mother would likely die then it should be up to a baby doctor (don't know what they are called) and the mother.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Vukk Add Vukk to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Apr-2003 at 08:18)

ok abortion on a whole should just be abolished not by the government but by ppl's views. u know the risks of sex to take take the consequences.

in cases of rape or insist then that would be damaging to the emotions of the mother and i would respect their decision to abort before 6 months

but because this is a 2 sided issue...

morally its just wrong cause u were a stupid girl having sex when u werent ready

politically though girls are gonna put a hanger in there and pull out the fetus cause they feel there is no other choice and it is because of that that i think abortion should stay legal. stupid girls...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Evil Tidings Add Evil Tidings to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Apr-2003 at 08:25)
I'm for abortion. It is the mother's and father's decision as said in posted before. It may have been accidental but it is still their decision and if they want to get rid of it, I say its ok.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Boogles Add Boogles to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Apr-2003 at 09:42)

u cant say u want to get rid of it as if it was some piece of furniture. thats a f*cking life in there. im sure it would say please dont kill me if it could talk..i didn't do anything to u. how would u like it if u were never born. oh wait it wouldn't matter cause u wouldn't be here giving us ur... let me hold my tongue now
View Public Profile Find more posts by Evil Tidings Add Evil Tidings to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Apr-2003 at 09:48)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Bigshot)

i totally agree with you. the baby may be alive, but it isnt "alive" in the sense that it cant comprehend what is going on.

but if it was concieved on "accident"(i.e mother got drunk and had sex, condom broke, etc. etc.) then the mother shouldnt be allowed to terminate the baby.

so, im divided on this matter. btw, im christian too.
i totally agree with u later on but alive is not something u can describe. if u say alive as in fully comprehending u r alive or who u r then no child is alive. they are just naive humans who don't know anything and just go by thier instincts or their learned habits.

i mean im just learning who i really am now and i never got those sudden moments of where u say to urself holy sh*t...im alive im moving, im thinking...how? until i was like 13 or something...

the whole point is that a fetus is the possibility for life and should not be terminated as if it were nothing but a mere rock or inanimate object
(03-Apr-2003 at 09:50)

abortion was just some way for girls (and guys) to escape from the consequences of their actions and now scientists just made it a lot safer to do...
(03-Apr-2003 at 09:55)

It's her body she should be able to decide herself what to do with it.If she doesn't want the baby she makes an abort.It's her decision and nobody should stand in her way

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Apr-2003 at 10:00)

yea its her body but what about the babies body??? what about its soul its everything...thats just not a good enough reason. sounds like u run from ur problems
(03-Apr-2003 at 10:02)

and what would u say if the woman wanted to abort but the father wanted the baby....then what. and if ur having sex u know the CONSEQUENCES. think about having sex before doing it. jesus whats wrong with all these women turning whores nowadays (not calling u a whore btw). there is just no morality in this damn world