Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Discussions > Utopia Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(15-Jun-2003 at 21:23)

question Utopia keep running rounds going while servers down?

while the servers of utopia are down, we still getting money, and elite from armouries and everything by each hour(round) that gone?
View Public Profile Find more posts by infrared Add infrared to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Jun-2003 at 21:47)

I would presume yes....every other time that the server has gone the game is still running. Can't see why this time would be any different.

Proud member of the United Council!
View Public Profile Visit Shardae's homepage Find more posts by Shardae Add Shardae to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Jun-2003 at 21:48)
Yup...along with starvation/overdraft, happiness levels falling for sitting there doing nothing, ect.
View Public Profile Find more posts by QuickLightning Add QuickLightning to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Jun-2003 at 21:51)

yep

*IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY... SHUT THE FU*(K UP!*
*I plan to live forever; So far so good!*Mehul is the only true God. I love you*
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
View Public Profile Find more posts by ndb86 Add ndb86 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Jun-2003 at 22:27)
born with a withered member

I only just discovered utopia - and so i logged in and set some building work and stuff.
then the server went down.

in the intervening days - Ive read loads of stuff on what i should be doing - everyone agrees that the first few days are crucial - im in protection sure - but all ive got is about 10 houses being built.

I hope this ends soon or im going to end up out of protection with no defences or money worth talking about just as my kingdom goes to war.

so all you reading this - be gentle - please

There is no apriori evidence to suggest that the truth, when it is finally known, will prove in the least bit usefull.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Glyptiko Add Glyptiko to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Jun-2003 at 22:29)
your building homes coming out of protection?
thats a waste of land.
View Public Profile Find more posts by burdett Add burdett to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Jun-2003 at 22:44)
After running some traces, I've made my own conclusions.

Utopia's servers aren't down. Their connection to the internet, sprintlink.net, is failing. Therefore the servers are still running, they just have no one accessing them while they keep updating stats. Although Mehul may have frozen the game until servers are online again.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Torvor Add Torvor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Jun-2003 at 22:53)
i hope he's frozen the game, cause i must be starving by now.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Aris Add Aris to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Jun-2003 at 23:00)
he never freezes the game during downtime.
View Public Profile Find more posts by burdett Add burdett to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Jun-2003 at 23:22)

LOL
i am just put 30% armouries to get some elites, so i can use this downtime for good this time hehe
View Public Profile Find more posts by infrared Add infrared to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(16-Jun-2003 at 04:27)
Picture the servers as middlemen between the actual game and the players and you'll have a decent picture of what is going on. That is why the game doesn't stop when the servers have problems, because the servers aren't running the game, they are handling the communications between the game and us. I'm not saying that is the exact setup Mehul has running, but it's a good general picture for most online games and is probably in the ballpark. That's why linkloss is so bad for most online games, because the game keeps running merrily in the background while your character/kingdom/whatever dies out of your control.

So you can have lots of different sorts of failures: you can have the actual game go down, you can have the servers go down, you can have the local router that links the servers to the internet go down, or you can have a router that exists between you and the game servers go down (in which case only a percentage of people find they can't log on, everyone who doesn't go through that router does fine). Considering there are so many ways gameplay can be interrupted for your average online game it's suprising there isn't -more- downtime for most of them.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Vorlin Add Vorlin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(16-Jun-2003 at 04:57)
ending age is no solution, just promotes persons attacking the servers.
View Public Profile Visit C a r n a g e's homepage Find more posts by C a r n a g e Add C a r n a g e to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Chaotic Gravity)
(16-Jun-2003 at 10:18)
yes, everything keeps running as usual. Ur land comes back etc.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Entrael Add Entrael to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(16-Jun-2003 at 13:56)

yeah utopia keeps on running even though your not there building your acres, training your soldiers, etc.. just consider yourself inactive for a couple of hours or days
View Public Profile Find more posts by War Knight Add War Knight to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(16-Jun-2003 at 15:39)
hmm i'm surprised no one has pointed this out yet, but the servers may or may not keep running during downtime, there's no way for us to know from here.

the game does *not* constantly update every single province every hour like a logical person might think

if that was the case, there would be an incredible slow down each and every hour as each province update was calculated

or maybe it would be staggered so different provinces had different update times, but we all know thats not true

what does happen, and is the most efficient solution, is provinces are only updated when they need to be, such as when someone logs in, or when they are attacked, or when a spell or op is attempted on them. each province keeps track of the last time it was updated, and when something happens, it finds the time lapse between updates and figures out what would have happened over that number of hours

this is why the game keeps running during downtime, not because the servers are still working, (hell they could be strapped to skate boards and mehal is riding them around an office building for all we know) but because time keeps passing, and the time from that last login or op until the first when the servers come up keeps growing
View Public Profile Find more posts by Larofeticus Add Larofeticus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(16-Jun-2003 at 16:45)
That's an interesting thought, and might even be correct. It would certainly be much more of a finesse approach then just doing a brute force recalc on the hour and after every event that effected a province. There are so many ways a province can be 'looked' at that would require a recalc, and recalcs would have to be kept track of so they weren't done when not needed (e.g. Province A does a CB of Province B (thus updating Province B), then 2 minutes later Province C does a CB of Province B, the game would need to know not to update B (unless something had changed to require B needing updating...). Also note that temporary events, such as fireballs or damage-over-time spells, would either have to force a recalc on the tick or would have to have a buffer for storing what occurred so that the recalc (when triggered) would flush the buffer and apply the effects then (and also make sure that when applying the buffer that the hourly changes were applied in order). If you have a headache now after reading all this, then you can start to imagine what it takes to code/run a game like this.

Following the causality chain above shows how something seemingly simple, like province updating, can become incredibly complex in a multi-player enviroment. Every province has to show accurate information every time under every circumstance that accesses that information, and on top of that you ideally want 'intelligent' code that doesn't update the information if the current set is still accurate. It's easy to see how bugs can exist in such a system, since there are so many combinations possible that require proper handling by the update code.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Vorlin Add Vorlin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(16-Jun-2003 at 17:21)
Spoken, Vorlin, like a true coder.. (read; )..

Assuming Larofeticus is right (which he probably is, considering how most games like this are structured) this is probably also why Mehul can't freeze the game during downtime, coz the updates aren't triggered during that time. (It's possible but things can get really complicated, besides, the other half of the players would just start complaining about the freeze instead ).
View Public Profile Find more posts by dreir Add dreir to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(16-Jun-2003 at 21:37)
Quote:
recalcs would have to be kept track of so they weren't done when not needed (e.g. Province A does a CB of Province B (thus updating Province B), then 2 minutes later Province C does a CB of Province B, the game would need to know not to update B (unless something had changed to require B needing updating...)
if(currentTime - currentProvince.getLastUpdateHour() > HOURLENGTH)
{
currentProvince.update();
currentProvince.setLastUpdateHour(currentTime);
}

go through that each time a province is involved in an action and bam there you go.

sure it's alot of actions no matter what, but, if you did it hourly, that would be alllllll 40,000 updates scheduled to happen at the exact same time... i don't know the amount of calculation involved in an update... let's be reasonable and say 1 millisecond, that would be 40 seconds of full usage, every hour... lag-a-riffic

or you do it the other way... worst case something happens to every single province on the server, at the exact same time, same as the other case. but that is practically impossible, it would at least be spread out accross the hour, and you would never update more than 40,000 an hour, probably not even a tenth of that

it's efficient system wise, creates only the number of database accesses that are needed, and is not difficult to code at all, plus i've heard it suggested before. that has to be the way it's done
View Public Profile Find more posts by Larofeticus Add Larofeticus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote