Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(19-Jan-2007 at 02:45)

Parties to be illegal in Miami?

http://www.nbc6.net/news/10777255/detail.html

Quote:
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- Miami Beach residents and city commissioners are going head to head over a proposed amendment that would make it illegal to have private gatherings at home.

Residents met at the Miami Beach City Hall Wednesday afternoon to discuss the deep repercussions for the residents if the amendment passes.

The proposed amendment would ban all large private gatherings and would discourage private parties for events such as the Super Bowl or MTV awards in the city of Miami Beach.

It may also limit the current status as a city that welcomes events of national prestige.

Such restrictions are unheard of in other world-class cities both in the United States and Europe, and residents said they just couldn't allow this in Miami Beach.

"So the intent of the ordinance we support," Alex Heckler, an attorney representing some homeowners', said. "However, the way it is written, it actually affects everyday homeowner and resident from having their own private events."

If passed, the amendment would make illegal any private gathering of guests in your home where together guests may bring in excess of $100 of food, wine or contribution to cleaning.

This would mean that 15 guests, each bringing a gift or bottle of wine worth more $7 each, would be considered a commercial event, in violation of the law.

"Any event were your receive over $100 in gifts, goods or services would therefore be illegal and you would be fined," Heckler said.

The party may be shut down immediately and homeowners or renters would be liable for fines that would begin at $1,000 and may exceed $15,000.

The ordinance would preclude, even on private property, such events as Christmas parties, cocktail parties, birthday parties, barbecues if gifts are exchanged or food or drink contributed wherein and the total value of all gifts exceed $100.

The law was originally intended to protect homeowners from the unscrupulous renting of homes for large parties where ticket charges, sale of alcohol, large amounts of traffic, noise, garbage and other such annoyances are causing neighbors discomfort.

"I think as far as the noise issue is concerned, that needs to be modified," concerned resident Karyn Robinson said. "At 2 a.m., I don't want my kids coming downstairs saying they can't get to sleep because of noise."
/me throws the penalty flag
This might be the biggest piece of non-Bush administration-related bullshit I've seen in a long time. Just because some parents are pissed that their kids cant sleep, they propose a party ban? I fucking object!

What I want to know is, whats wrong with the current laws? If theres a problem, call the cops, they come down and make the partyers stfu. And if they dont, they come back, and break the whole damn thing up. Whats wrong with that?

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
View Public Profile Find more posts by KnightoftheNite Add KnightoftheNite to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Former Global Moderator)
Research Group
(19-Jan-2007 at 04:02)

Re: Parties to be illegal in Miami?

Originally Posted by KnightoftheNite: View Post
http://www.nbc6.net/news/10777255/detail.html

/me throws the penalty flag
This might be the biggest piece of non-Bush administration-related bullshit I've seen in a long time. Just because some parents are pissed that their kids cant sleep, they propose a party ban? I fucking object!

What I want to know is, whats wrong with the current laws? If theres a problem, call the cops, they come down and make the partyers stfu. And if they dont, they come back, and break the whole damn thing up. Whats wrong with that?
Yeah, seems like a load of BS to me. I hate to throw this out, but isn't that unconstitutional? Seriously, most cities have noise ordinances in place, and those should suffice. If your poor kids can't sleep, as Knight said, call the cops and let them handle it. Hell, I've been to/sponsored parties where 3-4 people brought in excess of 100$ worth of stuff. A kegger alone is 100$ after you buy the necessary stuff.

No way in hell this will pass...not in Miami.

The Kiowa swooped and banked hard in front of the car, firing three more shots through the front hood, the universal sign for “stop.”
There are two important rules for sucess in life.
1. Never tell anyone everything you know.
View Public Profile Visit Hawkeyekid's homepage Find more posts by Hawkeyekid Add Hawkeyekid to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(19-Jan-2007 at 04:38)

Originally Posted by Hawkeyekid: View Post
Yeah, seems like a load of BS to me. I hate to throw this out, but isn't that unconstitutional? Seriously, most cities have noise ordinances in place, and those should suffice. If your poor kids can't sleep, as Knight said, call the cops and let them handle it. Hell, I've been to/sponsored parties where 3-4 people brought in excess of 100$ worth of stuff. A kegger alone is 100$ after you buy the necessary stuff.

No way in hell this will pass...not in Miami.

Add to that thanksgiven dinners or Christmass dinners or even birthdays.
I think the mayor and city council needs to get their heads examined

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(19-Jan-2007 at 04:41)
$100 contribution in total? That's not crap. I'm 33 and don't party ANYWHERE as much as I used to, but, c'mon. Me and my GF often have BYOB's for the major holidays and guests normally bring something to contribute (even though we always have alcohol already). Our normal party has anywhere from 10-36 people (depending on weather) and rarely have a problem. If evy 8th person brought a $15 of alcohol I'd be screwed. Besides that I normaly have probably $300 in alcohol at any given time in my cupboards.

All I can say is, they can take my alcohol after they learn how to read that prohibition is over and I have the right to bear arms
View Public Profile Find more posts by ujgearhead Add ujgearhead to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(19-Jan-2007 at 05:03)

Originally Posted by Invictus2001: View Post
Add to that thanksgiven dinners or Christmass dinners or even birthdays.
I think the mayor and city council needs to get their heads examined
I was thinking the same thing. My 18th B-day on coming up, and I'll be be having 2 friends over, they are buying me a $70 game, we'll be eating pizza ($30) chips ($10) pop ($5) and more, and that's over $100. Perhaps they need to be more specific on the requirements, because just playing video games in my basement isn't really an obnoxious party lol. We are always seeing stupid new laws being made, and I don't see the need.

Last edited by Acadian9, 19-Jan-2007 at 05:03.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Acadian9 Add Acadian9 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(19-Jan-2007 at 07:47)
I dont know if you guys have ever partied in Miami, but I have (went to a fins game and partied for the following 36 hours) and i can tell you the people of Miami will not stand for this, it is a noted party city(among other things). This is an example of how far dumb shit can go when people try hard enough.
View Public Profile Find more posts by BHSUYJ6969 Add BHSUYJ6969 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(19-Jan-2007 at 11:03)

If Bears beat the Saints in a couple days and it passes by then I am fucked. I would be heading down to Miami and us tailgaiters can easily spend more than $100 for the pre-game party. Oh well, can always just tell the cops we split the cost with some hobo.

"I once went on a long marathon session of masturbation with the goal of doing it 5 times and towards the end I was losing the ability to get it up. I started freaking out because that had never happened to me before and thought I had somehow broken something. After getting that fear in my head I had REAL difficulty getting it up no matter much much I touched it. -RA3
View Public Profile Find more posts by Californication Add Californication to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(19-Jan-2007 at 20:51)

God damn.. That is just plain weird even the whole:

Quote:
The law was originally intended to protect homeowners from the unscrupulous renting of homes for large parties where ticket charges, sale of alcohol, large amounts of traffic, noise, garbage and other such annoyances are causing neighbors discomfort.
I mean; common! Don't fucking rent our your house if you think people might be throwing parties there! End of fucking discussion... Sheesh! And to let this go out of people wanting to have a good time is plain stupidity.

I'm a satanic bastard who frequently uses small babies to try and summon demons. But enough about me, how much will you pay me to babysit those two adorable little chunks of meat there?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Im0Patience Add Im0Patience to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(19-Jan-2007 at 21:22)

So if you pool your money a few days before the party and the host buys everything technicly hundreds of guests may come bearing nothing and it would be legal?But if you invite two friends who brought along some food and alcohol worth more then 100$ it's illegal?

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(19-Jan-2007 at 23:07)

The constitutional repercussions of this law (should it pass) are horrific. Freedom of association is a basic, crucial right to any democracy.

If some parties are getting out of hand, pass stricter noise bylaws and actually have by-law officers respond in a reasonable amount of time. And to prevent houses being rented for parties, get them under the business operations bylaws, then tax them on the revenue made at the party.
View Public Profile Find more posts by EvilDH Add EvilDH to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $2.20
(20-Jan-2007 at 14:08)

Quote:
Such restrictions are unheard of in other world-class cities both in the United States and Europe, and residents said they just couldn't allow this in Miami Beach
In China, it's all over the place.

"Article Not Available
The story you are trying to view is no longer available through this Web site."

NBC took it off for some reason.

s o u l f i r e
View Public Profile Find more posts by Drizzt Add Drizzt to your Buddy List Reply with Quote