Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: What does god look like in your head?
Black, Clean Shaven 0 0%
Black, Bearded 3 4.62%
White, Clean Shaven 3 4.62%
White, Beared 17 26.15%
Other 42 64.62%
Who voted? Voters: 65
You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(15-Feb-2008 at 07:22)

Do you consider god to be white?

Okay, well today, I went past a religious billboard that changes each month and this time it was saying
Originally Posted by Billboard:
Why do most people assume god isn't black?
And so I thought to myself, in my mental image of what I guess god looks like (Yes, I don't beleive he does exist, but thats besides the point, and this isn't the place to argue that), and I always thought of him as black (dark brown to be more precise), with a grey beard.
So whadda you think?

Spectre: I'm cold
Me:*Sends picture of tits* That should warm you up gap Spectre: Only a small region
Me: Or maybe this *Sends picture of couple screwing* gap Spectre: the rest of me is still cold
AMYQ: small huh???
View Public Profile Find more posts by palmtree Add palmtree to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as AMYQ)
(15-Feb-2008 at 07:28)

To me, he looks like a cross between Santa and that Wizard dude out of Harry Potter, in a dressing gown and sandals. (Oh... the Blasphemy!)

INSANE CUBE FISH™
This is the clock up on the wall/This is the story of us all/This is the first sound of a new born child before he starts to crawl
This is the war that's never won/This is the soldier and his gun/This is the mother waiting by the phone praying for her son
View Public Profile Find more posts by Miss AmyQ Add Miss AmyQ to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $7.44
(15-Feb-2008 at 08:17)

I never really picture God as something as puny as human.

The less popular Sage
Really...most people forget who I am
But I was here first, damn it!

Willing to sell my soul for a Klondike Bar
View Public Profile Visit The Other Sage's homepage Find more posts by The Other Sage Add The Other Sage to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as AMYQ)
(15-Feb-2008 at 08:51)

Re: Do you consider god to be white?

Originally Posted by The Other Sage: View Post
I never really picture God as something as puny as human.
Thats not the question... What is he then? and what color?

INSANE CUBE FISH™
This is the clock up on the wall/This is the story of us all/This is the first sound of a new born child before he starts to crawl
This is the war that's never won/This is the soldier and his gun/This is the mother waiting by the phone praying for her son
View Public Profile Find more posts by Miss AmyQ Add Miss AmyQ to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Feb-2008 at 09:08)

If God created humans in his own image - and the earliest humans were black or olive (Mediterranean) skinned - then logically that's your best bet.

But personally, when I was younger, I believed God to be an old heavily bearded (white beard) white man who was in excellent physical shape ... pretty much, I believed exactly what my church lead me to believe before I learned to think for myself.
View Public Profile Visit Roxtin's homepage Find more posts by Roxtin Add Roxtin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Feb-2008 at 10:57)

If I was going to assume what God looked like, I'd have to say white, and bearded. Kind of like a oldish sagey, wizardy type.

Of course there is no way to even speculate, but thats the image I conjure in my head.

"Hmph, you and your third dimension."
"What about it?" "Oh nothing, it’s cute. We have five."
"Th-thousand."
"Yes five thousand."
"Don’t question it."
View Public Profile Find more posts by Chillin Add Chillin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Feb-2008 at 12:28)

well obviously people are influenced by western christian art, for example that painting of God giving life to Adam or some shit... God is white and bearded in that

the first time i ever saw an image of god (or part of him) was on the simpsons when homer visits him in a dream ("even i would sometimes rather sit back and watch the superbowl than go to church..."), and he is white (well, yellow >_>) and bearded in that

but despite these 'influences', i still never (ever) pictured god as that really - in fact, i don't really have a mental image of him and i never have, or at least not one that can be portrayed or described in a visual way - i just imagined, in my mind's eye if you will, intangible invisible awesome power... or something

EDIT: now that i think about it, ill just add; i have ALWAYS imagined him as male, not ambiguous

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham

Last edited by Spectre19, 15-Feb-2008 at 12:30.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $2.20
(15-Feb-2008 at 13:28)

Are you talking about Jesus, you mean? Or any generic god? Any reason you left out all other colors but white and black? Vishnu is blue, you may have offended some hindus right there.

Jesus was probably black. As for God himself, he is beyond description of a color.

s o u l f i r e
View Public Profile Find more posts by Drizzt Add Drizzt to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Feb-2008 at 14:17)

Quote:
Why do most people assume god isn't black?
if you are talking about the christian god because of Michelangelo and the general represenation of the Santa Clause like look that we have going on in our culture
The Greek and Norse gods are also generally represented as white

And yes i also fall towards the Santa cliche

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views

Last edited by DHoffryn, 15-Feb-2008 at 14:17.
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Celtic19)
(15-Feb-2008 at 15:34)

I think of god as a zeus figure (rep to whoever figures out which famous book thats from)

But ya thats how i imagine him probably because of the influence of the western world.

If you really asked me to describe him then I wouldn't be able to becuase I imagine him/her as more pure energy then anything else that exists everywhere.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Celtic22 Add Celtic22 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Feb-2008 at 16:18)

Well, I picture God as a White old guy with a beard, but of course he can look like anything, even that funky monster God from Southpark.

I'm guessing he would probably appear white though (regardless of his skin color) seeing as his radience turned Moses's beard white, he is described as light, and black is used synonymously with evil throughout the bible.

Then again, man was first created in God's image and from what we can tell, the first humans were black men from africa.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Royal Assassin3 Add Royal Assassin3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Feb-2008 at 16:29)

Quote:
Then again, man was first created in God's image and from what we can tell, the first humans were black men from africa.
not necessarily of course im not well learned on the issue of the origin of man and how much information we have, but do we actually know that the first humans were black?? they may have evolved black skin later

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Feb-2008 at 16:36)

Originally Posted by Spectre19: View Post
not necessarily of course im not well learned on the issue of the origin of man and how much information we have, but do we actually know that the first humans were black?? they may have evolved black skin later
You might be right. I've seen some studies that speculate that humans were originally fair skinned since chimps (our closest relatives) have fair skin.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Royal Assassin3 Add Royal Assassin3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $3.00
(15-Feb-2008 at 17:13)

Seems pretty accurate to me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg southparkgod.jpg (62.2 KB, 23 views)

*bangs javelin* sold! to the emu with the donuts!
Mmm...donuts
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Visit Trpg
<rose> you eat it with your penis?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Evil Homer Add Evil Homer to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Feb-2008 at 18:07)

Personification killed God. Personally, I don't have an image of it in my mind, in fact, i tend to think in abstract terms that have as little attributes/connotations as possible. I find that's the only way for the idea that 'God' refers to to be in any way viable for me.

Your brain is unique in the history of the universe. Use it wisely.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Dusk Illz Add Dusk Illz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as matinog)
(15-Feb-2008 at 21:55)

i silver statue of a wise old man with a long wispy beard.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mandraque Add Mandraque to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $7.44
(15-Feb-2008 at 22:03)

Originally Posted by AMYQ: View Post
Thats not the question... What is he then? and what color?
It's a hard question since I'm agnostic. I spend more time thinking "does God exist?" than I do "what does he look like?"

I wouldn't imagine him in any physical shape, really, because I don't think there's a physical shape that could represent the awesomeness of what God would be. I would see him as an incredibly bright light, one that should blind me but instead just gives me that warm, basking-in-the-sun feeling.

If there's a heaven (even less likely than there being a God) I imagine that's what it would be like. Basking for eternity. Anything else would be inferior.

The less popular Sage
Really...most people forget who I am
But I was here first, damn it!

Willing to sell my soul for a Klondike Bar
View Public Profile Visit The Other Sage's homepage Find more posts by The Other Sage Add The Other Sage to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Feb-2008 at 23:20)

If god were to take human shape, it would be as Morgan Freeman.

Or Bob Saget.

This too will pass
View Public Profile Find more posts by Samurai Pooh Add Samurai Pooh to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Eldarad)
Donated $9.01
(16-Feb-2008 at 00:48)

I selected Other, as I don't have an image of God as some bloke.

You only have power over people as long as you don't take everything from them.
But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he is free again.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Adderla Add Adderla to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(16-Feb-2008 at 01:00)

Originally Posted by palmtree: View Post
Okay, well today, I went past a religious billboard that changes each month and this time it was saying

And so I thought to myself, in my mental image of what I guess god looks like (Yes, I don't beleive he does exist, but thats besides the point, and this isn't the place to argue that), and I always thought of him as black (dark brown to be more precise), with a grey beard.
So whadda you think?
I believe it says in the bible that God created human kind as a image of himself. And as the first humans where black I guess that would be how God looks like according to the bible.

My personal opinion is that God cant be pictured but he can show himself for people however he wants to.Thats if God exists.

Last edited by Pollock, 16-Feb-2008 at 01:04.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Pollock Add Pollock to your Buddy List Reply with Quote