Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Temple > Utopia Temple Support > Targets Finder & War Finder

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(22-Feb-2003 at 23:41)
Using Target Finder is Cheating

The target finder gives provinces who know about it a distinct advantage...and I think that using it is cheating. It gives half the ppl a huge advantage and the other half a huge disadvantage.

Not to mention that I showed up on the target finder and lost 500 acres (because I released my off specs to kill a dragon and my nw/acre ratio fell)...and now I am being forced to delete or reset my province b/c I can't get outta this hole I'm in. I was a monarch, too :/

Of course, you guys are never going to get rid of the target finder, so what is the point in posting? Who knows
View Public Profile Find more posts by cantrips Add cantrips to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
Donated $2.77
(22-Feb-2003 at 23:53)

Its not cheating as according to the Utopia Code, so..

All it does is list a pile of suitable targets, which I can get in 20 minutes of hunting. People still need to do CB's, Surveys, SoM's etc if they want to be sure they are to be successful in an attack.

What was your defense like, did you think maybe it was a low defense that was your mistake, not the releasing of Offense?

Oh, and you are not being forced to delete or whatever, there is always a choice

The Kittens of Playfulness
Fire and Ice
Tails Entwined in Fun and Love
SilvreWolf My love, I am yours
View Public Profile Visit DarkSkies X's homepage Find more posts by DarkSkies X Add DarkSkies X to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Feb-2003 at 02:28)
Well, I had about 1300 acres and a 52 DPA raw (with monarchy, that's 57 DPA raw). I wrote the guys who hit me and they said they had used the target finder (145k on 1300 acres).

And you're right, I don't HAVE to delete, but who wants to try and fix a province that is at war, has another dragon, has 89.5% draft and is now half the size it was yesterday?

Not me anyway

It isn't illegal to call someone a stupid fat-head but still it's not morally right :P I kinda feel the same way about the target finder. I'm sure if Mehul thought about it he would say the target finder's not allowed. But I don't suppose anyone's asked him.
View Public Profile Find more posts by cantrips Add cantrips to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Feb-2003 at 02:33)
It is not cheating...if I would have checked your kingdom and saw your nw/a w/o the target finder would that be considered cheating too since I did find you had a low nw/a?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Passing Time Add Passing Time to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Feb-2003 at 03:05)
the Target Finder isn't cheating all it is doing is saving time. I'm sure i would have been able to find a province like yours easy enough looking around kingdoms but its just easier looking at the target finder. If u think the target finder is cheating then angel must be too as it gives an advantage to those who know about it over those who don't. I'm sure my province would show up on the target finder as i've been getting random cb's everyday as my npa is only 135 on 2k acres. Yet is still havent been hit because i have 58dpa raw am a monarch have 10% forts also and Minor Protection on me constantly.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Jarld Add Jarld to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
Donated $2.77
(23-Feb-2003 at 03:19)

Thats taking the easy way out cantrips, personally, I always love rebuilding a Province after a bad War Its heaps of fun

That 1300 Acres/145K NW, is that you or them?

Fire and Ice
View Public Profile Visit DarkSkies X's homepage Find more posts by DarkSkies X Add DarkSkies X to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Chaos X)
Donated $10.00
(23-Feb-2003 at 05:00)

I dont consider target finder cheating. It not excalty the best thing ever either. It doesn't way if a province is in war or hostile, a certain province might not be updated at a critial time etc. Besides you release off specs, meaning those people could still break you or someone else would have. I don't use TF but manually look for mine targets, what would have happen if someone like me found you. Wouldn't the same thing happen?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Shadowkit Add Shadowkit to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Feb-2003 at 15:02)
It boils down to this, basically - you had low dpa and low defense. With a draft rate of 89.5, why didn't you build more def specs? If you were in a war, I don't doubt that had outsiders not whacked you, your opponents would have, especially since you're the monarch.
View Public Profile Find more posts by wahming Add wahming to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Belnick HaJ)
(23-Feb-2003 at 20:39)

it is cheating, before u could make a 500 acres grab and keep the land

now u can't cus of cheater us the targetfinder and find you with 40 dpa instead of 70(which you would have 24hours later)

I have no idea why UT created this, must been someone in UT that wanted to cheat and created it

if u don't have time to look for targets by your self(pre utopia temple)then Q U I T

Within darkness comes enlightenment.
There is no god, there is no Devil, there is no heaven or Hell
STYX HaJ challenged Lord Hawk - He ran off
View Public Profile Visit Belnick the God's homepage Find more posts by Belnick the God Add Belnick the God to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Feb-2003 at 20:54)

It's not hard to not show up on the target finder, I havent been attacked once OOW, and I'm a semi-suisider with 60dpa.

Number 1
View Public Profile Find more posts by GhettoBird Add GhettoBird to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
Donated $2.77
(24-Feb-2003 at 04:49)

Belnick: Define cheating then.

If you were stupid enough to leave a low DPA home, you deserve to be hit, if not from outside, but from the KD you hit. And they would

Fire and Ice
Utopia Temple Host
Donated $5.12
(24-Feb-2003 at 19:03)

If you have sufficient troops to make a 500 acre hit, you're not going to appear on the target finder.

The target finder primarily shows people with low networth/acre (yes, it can show via other criteria, but most people decide based on NW). Even if you've made a big hit, dropping a well built province's NW/acre to the degree it appears in the target finder is very hard.

I've been hit twice this age due directly to the target finder. I came out of a war badly land-fat, and someone whacked me. Do I blame the target finder? No, as anyone could have easily found me in the day or so it would have taken to rebuild.

- Tyrall

Admin of the Tyrall Network, home of Utopia Temple
View Public Profile Visit Tyrall's homepage Find more posts by Tyrall Add Tyrall to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as SilverFoxHaJ)
Donated $0.80
(25-Feb-2003 at 01:09)

Erm...

Quote:
Well, I had about 1300 acres and a 52 DPA raw (with monarchy, that's 57 DPA raw).
How exactly did you get monarchy?

Being a monarch DONT give you the bonus except if your KD is in Hostile/War with that of where the hits came from!

OOH/OOW hits wont have to break your monarchy def!

And you were going to grab 500 acres? Im sure max grab is slightly under 20% your land size, thats ~260 max.

Signature suspended by Brother Nazgul for violating the forum's rules.
Why should we allow your signature to have a height of 80 pixels, and force everyone else to go with 60?
Because I've got a fucking cute ass? I've seen better. -Valek
View Public Profile Visit Silver Fox's homepage Find more posts by Silver Fox Add Silver Fox to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Feb-2003 at 05:41)
careless

also guys i've posted this somewhere else, but id rather get this point out then let it fade....the target finder gives you views that other people have probably seen and therefore hit..once they're hit they're not as good of targets..and i assure you you can find better targets yourself. i ususally find a good hit in 5-15 minutes depending on the server lag...and i usually get better results then i could have expected....and no i dont use TF.
View Public Profile Find more posts by CjDragon13 Add CjDragon13 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Feb-2003 at 06:21)
!? When did I say anything about attacking for 500 acres?

Anyway, I just think ppl should find their targets manually. That way the entire world doesn't know that they have a low nw/acre. Target Finder makes it so that being a team player (like I was!) causes huge problems

I meant to say 10% forts, not monarchy.

Last edited by cantrips, 28-Feb-2003 at 06:21.
(Posted as BlueBlood)
(28-Feb-2003 at 06:43)

lol i luv target finder and im not even an attacker i use it to see if im on the list and to make sure i get off of it as fast as possible use it toour addvantage instead of there it works alot betterthat way LANDFATNESS isent good and of course it you 1300 and not even 150k NW you going to get slaughterd thats common in utopia you just dont see much of a better land grab there im 850 acers and im 150kNW try to stay at least 75k-100kNW above your land and you will not be attacked and if you are it dosent happen much. and btw i play for honour im a viscount thats why im tiny.

DONT MESS WITH THE MONKEY
true rebellion member
View Public Profile Find more posts by BaB00n Add BaB00n to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Odin X)
(09-Mar-2003 at 11:56)

Quote:
(Originally posted by cantrips)

Well, I had about 1300 acres and a 52 DPA raw (with monarchy, that's 57 DPA raw). I wrote the guys who hit me and they said they had used the target finder (145k on 1300 acres).

And you're right, I don't HAVE to delete, but who wants to try and fix a province that is at war, has another dragon, has 89.5% draft and is now half the size it was yesterday?

Not me anyway

It isn't illegal to call someone a stupid fat-head but still it's not morally right :P I kinda feel the same way about the target finder. I'm sure if Mehul thought about it he would say the target finder's not allowed. But I don't suppose anyone's asked him.
I would have rebuilt. I rebuilt my province from 27 acres. That was coming down from 3500.

http://thiscrazyworld-flair.blogspot.com/ - Not a lame blog, a comedy outlook on topical issues.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Flair Add Flair to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Lord Aria)
Donated $20.00
(27-Mar-2003 at 06:59)

He is just complaining because he lost stuff, I would be mad too but not complaining.

Also it isn't really cheating and it give no one an advantage because almost everyone knows about it. WHen they join a kingdom and say they are new to the game everyone is like us Utopia Angel and TF at utopiatemple.com .

- I am a man of honor, test my will.
View Public Profile Find more posts by MatisyahuArieli Add MatisyahuArieli to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Mar-2003 at 07:28)
Yeah. Sour grapes and all that. If you don't like it, then make sure that u are never in a position where you will be locatable in the targets finder. Make it so that, even if u r found, u r unbreakable (esp. if t/M). But for christ's sake don't come on here and complain about something that saves people time and effort and makes the game that much more enjoyable. Not everybody has the time to search and search to find that REALLY nice grab.
View Public Profile Find more posts by ZaGoof Add ZaGoof to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $8.50
(13-Apr-2003 at 21:10)

Ofcourse it is cheating.
It is like a targetsharing gangbanging Utopia Temple alliance. If you get nightstriked, you will become a target of the Utopia Temple gangbangtool alliance.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invisible Snake Add Invisible Snake to your Buddy List Reply with Quote