Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(03-Mar-2009 at 12:06)
God can be explained

Just watch the video, "What the bleep do we know" & I believe it will answer the question. Or if you care to understand Jesus, just watch the following vid which clearly explains the facts in less than 10 minutes & very comprehensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQLD59fK_Iw
View Public Profile Find more posts by Iceander Add Iceander to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Mar-2009 at 17:31)
Jesus wasn't even born on the 25th.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Andrew X Add Andrew X to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Mar-2009 at 07:03)
Re: God can be explained

Originally Posted by Andrew X: View Post
So? It is not about Jesus the man; it is about Jesus the mythology.

Literalism --> BORING
View Public Profile Find more posts by Gotterdammerung Add Gotterdammerung to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Mar-2009 at 10:45)

Quote:
Jesus wasn't even born on the 25th.
Yes, but we celebrate his birthday on the 25th. It doesn't matter when his real bithdate is. And (I didn't read your link maybe it says this there, but...) the reason we celebrate it on this date is that allegedly the Catholic church changed it to put it inline with the Pagan holiday to attract them to the religion.

It is entirely possible (although I won't claim this is true as i have not seen evidence to the affirmative, but it is possible) that the three kings story and north star etc. were 'invented' into the story of Jesus for the same reason - bringing Pagan traditions in to gain their support.

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $7.44
(05-Mar-2009 at 17:58)

Um...I didn't watch the video before posting, and just realized that my entire, long, long post was basically a summary of the movie I hadn't watched...

The less popular Sage
Really...most people forget who I am
But I was here first, damn it!

Willing to sell my soul for a Klondike Bar

Last edited by The Other Sage, 05-Mar-2009 at 18:00.
View Public Profile Visit The Other Sage's homepage Find more posts by The Other Sage Add The Other Sage to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Mar-2009 at 00:57)
While Jesus is not about literalism, his symbolism is. As the video shows, all of the Sun Messiahs have astrological basis' for their mythologies. As each people personify the Sun, all have come up with the same key messianic features according the real movements of the stars, and each personification has become expressed depending on the individual cases in time and culture.

I do not believe that this is the end of it. As modern objectivists, we can easily see the common ground of the Sun Messiahs and say that it is just basic astronomy, but you know, this is still trying to get at the meaning of things. While the stars themselves may be objects, they have real effects on our lives, and this is were they inevitably become personal. No matter who objective we want to be, the effects of stars force us to personify them, even if it is but through our own experience. In a way, we create our own Sun Messiah in studying astronomy, because the sun is just as important to us as it was any other time in history.

It is not fair to say that because the Sun Messiah is cultural symbolism that all religion is a myth. God may speak to each culture a common message in relating to him on a personal level, and I think the study of the sun and the stars holds particular power over men, to mystify them, and to teach them of the expanse of the universe that we be forever beyond our grasp. God can easily teach us who to relate to him by his messages in nature and the stars, because these things can never be empty to us.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Gotterdammerung Add Gotterdammerung to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(17-Mar-2009 at 01:52)

Obviously I didn't watch the video, because the answer is self evident, of course God can be explained, he doesn't exist. Explimation finished.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Cobra2002 Add Cobra2002 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(17-Mar-2009 at 02:47)

Originally Posted by Cobra2002: View Post
Obviously I didn't watch the video, because the answer is self evident, of course God can be explained, he doesn't exist. Explimation finished.
Explanations are possible. The problem is that God and the afterlife is invisible, and as such their explanations/investigations are not directly useful to us.

We are viewing this through the lens of a material/result-driven society, so of course this will seem stupid to you.

Last edited by Gotterdammerung, 17-Mar-2009 at 02:51.
(17-Mar-2009 at 10:15)

Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung: View Post
Explanations are possible. The problem is that God and the afterlife is invisible, and as such their explanations/investigations are not directly useful to us.

We are viewing this through the lens of a material/result-driven society, so of course this will seem stupid to you.
I swear I read your post 10 times and I still can't figure out what you said, are you going out of your way to write in such an obscure and abstract manner? I'll do you a favour and tell you it doesn't make you look wise, it makes you look pompous, every post I see by you is written in such a weird way I don't even bother anymore, I just skip your posts completely.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Cobra2002 Add Cobra2002 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.52
(17-Mar-2009 at 15:03)
His posts make sense to me. What in particular don't you understand about it?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Balfron Add Balfron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(17-Mar-2009 at 22:54)

Originally Posted by Balfron: View Post
His posts make sense to me. What in particular don't you understand about it?
*sigh*
don't feed the troll!

As said by the other sage - a lot of this stuff is quite well known. It is just a matter of what your personal take on it is.
View Public Profile Find more posts by dantendo Add dantendo to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Mar-2009 at 05:36)
This thread is interesting. You get the general idea that god is mystical and beyond our comprehension, and then you get zapped with a truth bomb, God Can Be Explained!

Of course god can be explained. God is a fictional concept created by people to help explain things, that, at the time they cannot understand. The fictional concept of god also serves to help mold the attitudes and behaviors of a group of people when there is a lack of an effective legal system to maintain order.

Only the ignorant have the capacity to be offended.
View Public Profile Find more posts by IctouCE Add IctouCE to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Mar-2009 at 13:05)

Originally Posted by IctouCE: View Post
Of course god can be explained. God is a fictional concept created by people to help explain things, that, at the time they cannot understand. The fictional concept of god also serves to help mold the attitudes and behaviors of a group of people when there is a lack of an effective legal system to maintain order.
The origins of the universe, the meaning of life, the nature of consciousness; all these fundamental questions still can't be explained.. Our modern legal system may now functionally substitute for the socio-religious behavioural framework of the past, but what has really changed in regard to answering those metaphysical questions?

Your brain is unique in the history of the universe. Use it wisely.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Dusk Illz Add Dusk Illz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Mar-2009 at 00:00)

Originally Posted by Dusk Illz: View Post
The origins of the universe, the meaning of life, the nature of consciousness; all these fundamental questions still can't be explained.. Our modern legal system may now functionally substitute for the socio-religious behavioural framework of the past, but what has really changed in regard to answering those metaphysical questions?
Other than scientific theories that are as extravagant (if not moreso) as a theological belief? Not much. Many hypothesis have been formed and disproven so many times. Even Einstein's theory of relativity has been proven wrong on multiple accounts. This month's issue of Astronomy explains that the Voyager satellites are traveling at different speeds than those calculated using the most recent estimates decades ago. The theory of gravity may very well be rewritten once again.

IMO science is just a way of explaining God's works. There are so many things that occur in our universe that cannot be explained by simple mathematical equations or theories.

Refusal to comprimise only succeeds in driving the devil's bargain. However, when one comprimises one's morals, they become the devil's bargain.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Blind Seer Add Blind Seer to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Mar-2009 at 10:19)

Quote:
The origins of the universe
We're working on that, but at least we're not self deluding ourselves thinking we know everything, at this time we don't know, we have theories which are tested when it's possible, but at least we're not presenting a "God did it!".

Quote:
the meaning of life
Who lied to to you and told you that life has to have meaning? That question is as meaningless as saying "God did it!"

Quote:
the nature of consciousness
What? What does that even mean?

Quote:
but what has really changed in regard to answering those metaphysical questions?
Irrelevant questions, made up by people that are looking for some higher meaning and purpose than their ordinary boring lives.

Last edited by Cobra2002, 30-Mar-2009 at 10:20.
(30-Mar-2009 at 10:42)

Originally Posted by Blind Seer: View Post
Even Einstein's theory of relativity has been proven wrong on multiple accounts. This month's issue of Astronomy explains that the Voyager satellites are traveling at different speeds than those calculated using the most recent estimates decades ago. The theory of gravity may very well be rewritten once again.
What we call "Law's of nature" are just approximations. Einsteins theory were better than Newton's, even if the latter is still good enough to use in almost all situations you encounter. It is likely there is even better theories than General Relativity, and physicists are working on finding one.

This is in contrast to religion that never shows any progress beyond "God did it!". The reason GR can be shown to be wrong is that it makes extremely exact predictions about how these sonds ought to move. Religion doesn't make predictions, or rather, those predictions it makes tend to be spectacularly wrong. (For example when Jesus would return)

Quote:
IMO science is just a way of explaining God's works. There are so many things that occur in our universe that cannot be explained by simple mathematical equations or theories.
Still, science is the best method we have to explain the universe. Religion hardly even tries any more.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bernel Add Bernel to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Mar-2009 at 17:37)

Originally Posted by Cobra2002: View Post
We're working on that, but at least we're not self deluding ourselves thinking we know everything, at this time we don't know, we have theories which are tested when it's possible, but at least we're not presenting a "God did it!".
I'd be the last one advocating that we return to "God did it!" type of explanatory theories. What i was pointing out is that if religion served to functionally integrate society and provide an explanatory framework for life, we may have covered the former function through law, but the need for a good explanatory framework is still as strong as ever. The large amount of people that say they believe in 'something', but not God, is ample evidence of that.

Quote:
Who lied to you and told you that life has to have meaning? That question is as meaningless as saying "God did it!"
Similarly, who told you it doesn't and the question is meaningless? The way i see it, it doesn't have to have meaning, in the sense that life may know no purpose and be 'coincidence'. As irrational as that feels to me, i can understand the notion. However, even if meaningless in that sense of having no answer, that humans everywhere ask the question, is meaningful in itself. It says a lot about humans, and one way or another, humans say a lot about life.

Quote:
What? What does that even mean?
The nature of consciousness? I'm just referring to the mind, and the philosophical questions it poses; how does it relate to matter and body, where does it begin and end, what is consciousness, how do minds interact, etc.

Quote:
Irrelevant questions, made up by people that are looking for some higher meaning and purpose than their ordinary boring lives.
And the fact that so many people look for meaning and purpose and have a hard time really living without them, is proof of their irrelevancy? If anything, it is a sign of their essential importance. To throw in a quote; "Understand, man is not a machine, He needs a surface and a purpose and a reason for being". You can reduce mankind to its outer - scientifically measurable - dimensions and consider all the internal questions of intention, consciousness, value, beauty, truth, morality, purpose, as irrelevant epiphenomenon, but to me, that is the approach that really guts life completely. As much as organized religion's answers may feel like a lie, saying the question itself is fundamentally nonsensical feels like no less worthless an answer.

Your brain is unique in the history of the universe. Use it wisely.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Dusk Illz Add Dusk Illz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Mar-2009 at 18:53)

Quote:
Still, science is the best method we have to explain the universe. Religion hardly even tries any more.
My faith is what I use as my moral compass. Besides, science can't explain everything there is out there. Earth, for example, is exactly the right distance from the sun. A few km closer, and it'd be too hot for life. A few km farther, and it'd be too cold. Even the solar system's place in the Milky Way is precisely one of the best places for us.

What of life on Earth? Everything is eaten by something else. The food chain is an amazing and intricate system. What of evolution? While I do believe in evolution to some extent, there are things (such as the Human eye) that Darwin himself could not explain. There are too many "coincidences" for things like that to happen by accident.

Refusal to comprimise only succeeds in driving the devil's bargain. However, when one comprimises one's morals, they become the devil's bargain.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Blind Seer Add Blind Seer to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $0.60
(30-Mar-2009 at 19:05)

Everything can be explained. Wether that explanation is logical is another fact... as is wether that explanation is correct. But human mind works so, that if you enough think matter's, eventually red becomes blue and you can explain it, but it still doesn't make it true.

Question lies where do you want to believe. Your own believes affect greatly how you see and how you want to see world. That is also why other peoples may not agree with your explanations.

Generalization is rhetorics of simpletons.
"Sages learn from history... idiots learn from experience" -Fairy Tail manga
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Menchalior Add Lord Menchalior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(31-Mar-2009 at 11:08)

Quote:
Similarly, who told you it doesn't and the question is meaningless?
Asking what the meaning of life is, presumes that you know there is a meaning of life, which you just don't know. Please prove that such meaning exists than your question will have meaning, untill than it's irrelevant.

Quote:
The way i see it, it doesn't have to have meaning, in the sense that life may know no purpose and be 'coincidence'. As irrational as that feels to me, i can understand the notion. However, even if meaningless in that sense of having no answer, that humans everywhere ask the question, is meaningful in itself. It says a lot about humans, and one way or another, humans say a lot about life.
Just because many people ask themsleves an irrelevant question, is irrelevant, when people get stoned they ask themselves why the walls on closing in on them, that doesn't mean the walls are closing in or that their question is relevant. It means they're wasted.

Quote:
The nature of consciousness? I'm just referring to the mind, and the philosophical questions it poses; how does it relate to matter and body, where does it begin and end, what is consciousness, how do minds interact, etc.
Half of your questions I'm sure can be answered by a neuroscientist and the other half are mystical psychobabble.

Quote:
You can reduce mankind to its outer - scientifically measurable - dimensions and consider all the internal questions of intention, consciousness, value, beauty, truth, morality, purpose, as irrelevant epiphenomenon, but to me, that is the approach that really guts life completely. As much as organized religion's answers may feel like a lie, saying the question itself is fundamentally nonsensical feels like no less worthless an answer.
As long as you can't prove your question is relevant and makes sense than yes, it 's nonsensical and fundamentally worthless, I'm sorry if that shakes up your little magic and fairytales world up. We shouldn't spend time on answering questions that have no value, just to give people like you peace of mind because you can't seem to deal with the cold reality.

Last edited by Cobra2002, 31-Mar-2009 at 11:11.