Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(30-Jul-2003 at 03:04)

Where is Atlantis?

I'm just curious on what ppl thing about the Lost city of Atlantis. My thoughts is that I think that Atlantis is or near the country of Indonesia. Since it is impossible to find evidence of Atlantis in the Atlantic ocean. I have more info on the theory here

Oh yea... please don't move this to LA. I am completely serious about this thread since it is a dream of mine to become a scientist in this kind of field.

My life is a Grand illusion
Don't let it end, baby we could have had so much more...
Call me Vash the Stampede...

Last edited by VASHtheTyPhOoN, 30-Jul-2003 at 03:05.
View Public Profile Find more posts by VASHtheTyPhOoN Add VASHtheTyPhOoN to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Jul-2003 at 03:26)
I've always thought of it somewhere in hudsons bay in canada... thats why nobody has found it because they dont usualy look for it in hudsons bay right??
View Public Profile Find more posts by shagy2dawg Add shagy2dawg to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.80
(30-Jul-2003 at 03:28)

I read the FAQ, and its very interesting

Thats the most logical theory I have ever heard, but how do they plan on excavating it?

For Land. For Power. Forever.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Foliage Add Foliage to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Jul-2003 at 03:59)

Alright, read it. Somehow I never thought of it as in the Atlantic, more like in the Mediterranean but...what do i know?

I miss Runey...
Band is good! Band is great! Band is how I got a date!
War Damn Eagle!
I love Reputation! Love it! Gimme Gimme Gimme!!! Please.
View Public Profile Find more posts by StarOwl Add StarOwl to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Jul-2003 at 04:06)

i'm gonna say in the disney vault in orlando florida.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
View Public Profile Find more posts by pezloach2 Add pezloach2 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Jul-2003 at 05:12)
i agree, i think they kept it for movie sets
View Public Profile Find more posts by yangmang Add yangmang to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Cydoc)
Donated $1.36
(30-Jul-2003 at 05:33)

On a show on discovery some scientists believed they had found it. It was an island around Greece that had been sunk by volcanic activity. I don't remember the exact details but they were pulling artifacts and such out of there that suggested as much.
View Public Profile Find more posts by ghdfgsdrgsdfgdr Add ghdfgsdrgsdfgdr to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Jul-2003 at 06:41)
Re: Where is Atlantis?

Atlantis only existed in the mind of Plato when he used it as an model for how a society could work. Trying to find it is going to be about as succesful as locating Middle Earth.

At least Indonesia has the advantage that there is submerged land there, but that doesn't mean you are going to find any remains of a large civilization if you start looking.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bernel Add Bernel to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $4.12
(30-Jul-2003 at 06:45)

careless

i think that before writing books that claim that he had found Atlantis, he should at least go there to check some evidence...

There's nothing like the sound of hundreds of voices screaming in unison - Kefka

Attention Blisk. I am Cryptosporidium of the Planet Furon. This planet is now a territory of the Furon Empire. And your asses belong to me. - Crypto-138
View Public Profile Find more posts by cathou79 Add cathou79 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $3.78
(30-Jul-2003 at 07:33)

Quote:
Atlantis only existed in the mind of Plato when he used it as an model for how a society could work. Trying to find it is going to be about as succesful as locating Middle Earth.
if i look on my risk board, isnt the area around Saiudi Arabia middle earth?

Quote:
On a show on discovery some scientists believed they had found it. It was an island around Greece that had been sunk by volcanic activity. I don't remember the exact details but they were pulling artifacts and such out of there that suggested as much.
i belive thats a diffrent city, Atlantis was more thought of a South American city

_\|/_
~"."~
~|___|~
_||_
View Public Profile Find more posts by Eagles037 Add Eagles037 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $4.12
(30-Jul-2003 at 07:40)

Quote:
i belive thats a diffrent city, Atlantis was more thought of a South American city
no he's right. that site is one the possible site. but i think that they have another possible site in south america, so you're both right !

There's nothing like the sound of hundreds of voices screaming in unison - Kefka

Attention Blisk. I am Cryptosporidium of the Planet Furon. This planet is now a territory of the Furon Empire. And your asses belong to me. - Crypto-138
View Public Profile Find more posts by cathou79 Add cathou79 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
Donated $12.00
(30-Jul-2003 at 07:56)

Quote:
(Originally posted by StarOwl)

Alright, read it. Somehow I never thought of it as in the Atlantic, more like in the Mediterranean but...what do i know?
To expand a bit on what you said; ancient accounts placed it in the Aegean Sea [between Greece and Turkey] but by those same accounts it was far too large to have fitted there. History is open to suggestions

Computer idle all the time? Want to help with medical research?
Join the UT [email protected] team
(our stats) (text-only client)

View Public Profile Visit rexregum's homepage Find more posts by rexregum Add rexregum to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $3.78
(30-Jul-2003 at 11:19)

Quote:
Oh yea... please don't move this to LA. I am completely serious about this thread since it is a dream of mine to become a scientist in this kind of field.
i think you might want to be more of a historan/sci's

Quote:
To expand a bit on what you said; ancient accounts placed it in the Aegean Sea [between Greece and Turkey] but by those same accounts it was far too large to have fitted there. History is open to suggestions
didnt the map that was made of the city, look kinda like south america?

_\|/_
~"."~
~|___|~
_||_
View Public Profile Find more posts by Eagles037 Add Eagles037 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Pelayo)
(User is Banned)
(30-Jul-2003 at 13:22)
It depends on who you ask!

The earlier story about it comes from the greek, about a city swallen by the sea.
Ther are some possible locations for it, some think it happened during an earthquake when a soil layer broke and water was pushed to the surface (know to happen), the theory also says that after the water bed was "open" it was expelled due to the weight of the land mass that then sunk a bit (like a rock in water, this is also known to happen like in cities were under ground water is used that cities have a tendency to slowly sink.

Thru out ages, classic, roman, medieval, discovery and renaissance, the myth has changed, and the story told differently and in a different context.

Sorry if this was too tecnical and boring, I hope I shed some light in the matter.

"The supreme victory is to win without doing battle."- Sun Tzu
"Even if all the experts agreed they might still be wrong!"-so say the experts
"A wise man is impartial but not neutral a fool is neutral but not impartial."-don't know who said it
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mr Xens Add Mr Xens to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Jul-2003 at 16:52)

question Maybe

Perhaps it is a reference to the Great Flood of Genesis? Everycity went under then...
View Public Profile Find more posts by chal Add chal to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Jul-2003 at 17:10)
Hello, Milo Thatch.... eheheh... i don't know much about it, but i think it's interesting. I was touched by disney's atlantis movie.. lol
View Public Profile Find more posts by darthes Add darthes to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
(30-Jul-2003 at 17:26)

Eagles037 saw the same show on discovery!

the south american theori! i think thats that the place! coz oll the things plato descriped about area fith exactly! and thats the only palin that could fit the place (above sea level)
there is also a giant channel! running throu the play! and it look very man made! and and the length and wide fits to plato descriptions!

Signature suspended by Brother Nazgul for violating the forum's rules.
View Public Profile Visit Faberman's homepage Find more posts by Faberman Add Faberman to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Honorary Member
(30-Jul-2003 at 19:17)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Bernel)

At least Indonesia has the advantage that there is submerged land there, but that doesn't mean you are going to find any remains of a large civilization if you start looking.
well thats ok then, because middle earth was based on europe by tolkien i think with some changes

but anyway don't kill this for me, middle earth did exist. well in all honesty it wrks as well as any religion can explain stuff, if not better so i'll stick with this maybe.

Getting banned is not smart, nor cool. - Swifty
View Public Profile Find more posts by Jasse Add Jasse to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Howdy)
(31-Jul-2003 at 00:59)
I did a history project on this a few years back, I love the subject, I got top marks for arguing my ideas which were a little out there (not involving aliens though).

On the subject, the only concrete evidence we have on the subject come from two pieces of writing by Plato. Since he was a man of science and fact, we can assume he wasn't just making it up. If we assume he was rewriting from fact what we see today in his writings, that means that every piece of information given has to be treated as true.

We know the island is huge, larger then anything in the Mediterranian, Plato specifically told us it was past the Pillars of Hercules, which we call the Straits of Gibralter.

Maps also drawn on the subject show Atlantis between two large land masses, usually assumed to be North America and Europe.

In Plato's writing, he tells of the people of Alantis as being terrific sailors and travellers. There is evidence that at one time, maps were made depicting the America's long before Columbus discovered them. It is even rumoured that he based his ventures on one of these maps which showed that land existed. Now this is only proof of a civilization that was more technologically advanced then the greeks or romans. It also shows they had travelled all around the Americas, even to Asia, as well, they had close relations with the Egyptians and the Greeks.

We can conclude that, from evidence taken from the only source known, that Atlantis must be in the Arctic or Atlantic which are with in easy access to Europe, Africa, and America (considering the technology of the time).

If it is believed that the time frame and the location given by Plato are accurate, then Atlantis was thriving during 8000 BC somewhere in the Atlantic or Arctic. Now I say Arctic because we know the climate in northern countries like Russia, Mongolia, Canada, and Alaska were considerable different then they were today.
Evidence of this is fossilized remains of animals that could no longer exist in the current climates, but only in much warmer ones.

This is a possible conclusion for the location of Atlantis because if the north was much warmer, more livable, less ice clogging the northern pass, then travelling from say Greenland, to America, or Asia, or Europe would not be so incredibly hard to accomplish. The same can be said of Antarctica, which should have shared the warmer weather (also verified by fossillized remains). Then from Antarctica to America to Asia, and Antarctica to Africa to Europe should also be possible.

Then the reason we cannot find any sign of Atlantis is because it is hidden under, possibly a few hundred meters of ice, or hidden under an ice flow that hasn't been explored because of obvious reasons.

This is of course an obscure theo dry on the location of Atlantis, but I find it has some good points, but like any theory it has holes and can be disproved for numerous reasons.

Now if anyone bothers to read this entire poste I will be extremely surprised.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Anondir Add Anondir to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as NazcaFlame)
(31-Jul-2003 at 01:14)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Bernel)

You mean there's a Middle Earth too?!
Anyway, I never really thought about where it would be...I guess, somewhere around the Indian Ocean or somewhere in the Atlantic near Europe. I can't say I actually put a lot of faith in the idea of Atlantis either...
Wait...Isn't Atlantis in Georgia?
Anyway, I've seen an awful lot of theories on the things, but it seems like they never actually get anywhere.

Belief, "faith" if you will, is pointless unless founded by fact, and once founded by fact no longer becomes belief. - Lunar2
I'm not a hero, I'm not a saviour - Forget what you know - I'm just a man whose circustances went beyond his control.
Welcome to Tycho-Magnetic Anamoly One.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nazka Add Nazka to your Buddy List Reply with Quote