Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: Did/Does Atlantis Exist
Yes Atlantis Did/Does Exist. 50 45.87%
No Atlantis Did Not/Does Not Exist. 24 22.02%
Maybe/Not Sure 30 27.52%
Atlantis? 4 3.67%
Other 1 0.92%
Who voted? Voters: 109
You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Donated $14.28
(25-Nov-2004 at 06:50)

Did Atlantis Exist?

Well recently they think they might have found the great "Lost City" of Atlantis. I believe they think they found it off the coast of Cyprus. Anyway, I was just curious as to how many people on here think that Atlantis really existed or if it was just a myth or story. I for one think it is possible it existed, but I don't think it did.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Tack Add Tack to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Nov-2004 at 07:11)
There's almost no way to really find Atlantis, because even if we found the city that inspired the tales, then we would probably never know because it would be almost impossible for one city to live up to ALL the legends. Thus, we would always assume we had just found a city that had sunk for some reason, and keep on looking.
View Public Profile Find more posts by KTK1212 Add KTK1212 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Nov-2004 at 07:29)

Its quite possible that it did exist: Venis is sinking slowly. why couldnt another city have done it suddenly back when architecture was even worse?

But I think the sensational hoo-ha behind all the legends of how advanced they were is BS. I have been known to be wrong though. We still dont really know how ancient civilisations designed and built the pyramids so perfectly either!
View Public Profile Find more posts by jond Add jond to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Nov-2004 at 07:44)

I believe that it existed. Maybe it didn't, maybe it did.

But I think it did exist, or at least something along those lines. However I too don't think that they were so technologically advanced. I believe they were advanced, but not "futuristic" to our standards. But considering the times, I believe they probably were a futuristic city, to at least some degree.

Venice is sinking, so it is obviously possible for a city to sink. And so if it is possible, then it is possible that Atlantis once existed and sunk.

Destroyer
View Public Profile Find more posts by Darkest Sinner Add Darkest Sinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Donated $41.00
(25-Nov-2004 at 07:46)

exclamation mark

I think it did, yes. Will/Does it live up to the legend and or rumors? No, I think it's just a lost old city that may have just been found.

BUD LIGHT
145847903/Davevalek/Insanity
I am one of a kind, the only one you'll find. I am me and nothing else...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Valek Add Valek to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Nov-2004 at 17:54)

The earth surface is always changing, so there's a high possibility a city would "sink" below water surface.
And if it's a very old myth, people didn't know how big the world was and the story gets twisted, so it could have been a city or island "sinking" and in the story it turns to a continent.

Last edited by Tobleronex, 25-Nov-2004 at 17:55.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Tobleronex Add Tobleronex to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Good King Henry)
Donated $3.28
(25-Nov-2004 at 18:17)

Some loon says that he's found the lost city of Atlantis about once every 3 years. Don't read too much into this one.

If it existed, I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't have found any evidence of it by now.

Signature suspended by Starfriend for violating the forum's rules.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Henry Returns Add Henry Returns to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Nov-2004 at 19:44)
i'm sure there has been some better civilization someday, but i don't care about all the stories of a lost sunken city and stuff...all funny blahblah, but i think there has been a more civilised group of people someday..
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sfinks Add Sfinks to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Nov-2004 at 21:03)

I think it did, but I don't believe they were as advanced as people tell. It has probably been just an island with a civilisation like any other civilisation of that time.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Ian Out Add Ian Out to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Nov-2004 at 02:42)

Haha, this was going to be a discussion in my short lived attempt at RGD. I think Atlantis did exist. I thought it was just a legend until somewhere on the net I found translations of the original texts where Plato mentions Atlantis. The egyptian chieftan that told the guy who told Plato about Atlantis is very convincing. Plus look how they just found those Hobbit sized skeletons (i forget where), who would have ever believed that hobbits even POSSIBLY existed?

Last Member of the Church of Valek
-------------------------------------
Insert something witty here.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -John Paul Jones
View Public Profile Visit Dead Canaanite's homepage Find more posts by Dead Canaanite Add Dead Canaanite to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $14.28
(26-Nov-2004 at 05:18)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Dead Canaanite)

Haha, this was going to be a discussion in my short lived attempt at RGD. I think Atlantis did exist. I thought it was just a legend until somewhere on the net I found translations of the original texts where Plato mentions Atlantis. The egyptian chieftan that told the guy who told Plato about Atlantis is very convincing. Plus look how they just found those Hobbit sized skeletons (i forget where), who would have ever believed that hobbits even POSSIBLY existed?
They aren't hobbits, just smaller people than normal which makes since. I mean look at asians. I'm not trying to make fun of anybody or anything, but generally the asian population are shorter/smaller than alot of the rest of the world. It's just how different people evolved so it doesn't suprise me at all people were small.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Tack Add Tack to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $2.08
(26-Nov-2004 at 05:26)

I don't think there's an atlantis. It's possible, but I just don't think so. I mean, wouldn't be there any survivors from the city who passed the word on? If it exists, I'm sure it didn't sink from one day to the next, but it took thousands of years. But for this to work it would have had to be one of the first cities constructed ever, and sunken sometime near current history...

"Why should I have to work for everything?! It's like saying I don't deserve it!" - Calvin.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Stewie Add Stewie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Nov-2004 at 06:43)

while there might be a few cities that have sunk, i dont believe in the legend... :P
so NO

Jehovah Jireh ~ The LORD Will Provide!
Jesus is COOL! Christ Our Only Lord!

My Blog[-Valek-]
View Public Profile Find more posts by BangGang IHJ Add BangGang IHJ to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Nov-2004 at 07:00)

I do believe there once was Atlantis with possibly a high level of technology, i don't mean like refridgerators, or computers etc, but a much higher level then we give them credit for

Check out http://www.crystalinks.com/ancientaircraft.html

Pretty intresting view on the situation, I've also heard of other things like this before i found this site, so for me it is pretty convincing.

You can breathe in space, they just don't want you to escape
View Public Profile Find more posts by lnopia Add lnopia to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Nov-2004 at 20:06)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Tack)

They aren't hobbits, just smaller people than normal which makes since. I mean look at asians. I'm not trying to make fun of anybody or anything, but generally the asian population are shorter/smaller than alot of the rest of the world. It's just how different people evolved so it doesn't suprise me at all people were small.
I didn't mean that they were actually hobbits. I was trying to point out that even the most outlandish tales have to start somewhere, and that somewhere would be the truth.

Last Member of the Church of Valek
-------------------------------------
Insert something witty here.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -John Paul Jones
View Public Profile Visit Dead Canaanite's homepage Find more posts by Dead Canaanite Add Dead Canaanite to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Nov-2004 at 11:30)

Whever Atlantis, Isle of Ys or some other city with name lost in time, I think there might be a few on the bottom of ocean/sea waiting to be discovered. However, I wouldn't expect something out of fantasy or sci-fi or we would probably find it by now. Considering that biggest cities of the period would be considered villages today, the search is like for a needle in a haystack and gets worse with every minute...

good judgement mostly comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgement...
View Public Profile Find more posts by VonBooB Add VonBooB to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $1.40
(28-Nov-2004 at 12:11)
I really have no idea, I have never even thought about it..

Lala
View Public Profile Find more posts by jellybean1 Add jellybean1 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $0.60
(28-Nov-2004 at 12:19)

Where's smoke, there's Fire... All great civilzation has had legends of continent or city that has sunked... I think there's truth in that...

Generalization is rhetorics of simpletons.
"Sages learn from history... idiots learn from experience" -Fairy Tail manga
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Menchalior Add Lord Menchalior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Nov-2004 at 13:31)

Interesting link if your interested

http://www.comcast.net/providers/fan...ig/default.xml
View Public Profile Find more posts by Marduk III Add Marduk III to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $14.28
(28-Nov-2004 at 15:47)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Marduk III)

Interesting link if your interested

http://www.comcast.net/providers/fan...ig/default.xml
Can you post the content here? I don't think we're all comcast customers.