Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Discussions > Utopia Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(20-Feb-2004 at 23:26)
I joined 3 ages late for the 3rd round but id be willing to give it a shot. I dont believe they hadundeads then for the record.

Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.
I love vegetarians, they're very tasty.
I'd give you the finger, but it's in my nose.
View Public Profile Find more posts by bouise Add bouise to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $12.00
(21-Feb-2004 at 00:10)
Just one word of warning, beware of bandwidth costs.
View Public Profile Visit para618's homepage Find more posts by para618 Add para618 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Feb-2004 at 00:19)
yes bandwidth costs are being taken into consideration. I'm actually doing this via a custom client / server approach rather than a browser based webgame. This saves considerable ammounts of bandwidth.
View Public Profile Visit modulus's homepage Find more posts by modulus Add modulus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Feb-2004 at 00:30)

What was the thing w. boats?
How many troops per boats and such?
What's up w. the plazas? What'd they do?
Guardstations? Explain!

I'm a satanic bastard who frequently uses small babies to try and summon demons. But enough about me, how much will you pay me to babysit those two adorable little chunks of meat there?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Im0Patience Add Im0Patience to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Feb-2004 at 00:39)
count me in. pm me when it's ready. thnx
View Public Profile Find more posts by Xeal Add Xeal to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Feb-2004 at 01:06)
plazas were ways to help make your pessies happy. it was a kind of home meeting place and this was before happiness. plazas left around the 10th age or something around then.

Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.
I love vegetarians, they're very tasty.
I'd give you the finger, but it's in my nose.
View Public Profile Find more posts by bouise Add bouise to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Feb-2004 at 01:42)
Hehe, boats. Boats rocked. Some people didn't like them but the idea is that if you make an off island attack, you need 1 boat per 100 troops. Problem was is that if kingdoms went to war, you could completely shut down an attacker by sinking his boats. However, most of the time, not all the boats were sunk, rather, maybe half were sunk, so the attacker couldn't send enough military to break targets near his size -- so he'd send 4 attacks at a small province in the kingdom. Thus the boats sort of indirectly encouraged bottom feeding unless you sunk enough to totally stop an attack (very hard to do).

Plazas were a way to get maximum employment. Only employed peasants generated tax revenue (same as right now). Whereas normal buildings employed 15 people, plazas employed 30 (these numbers varied between the ages, at one point, banks were about worthless, and at the other end of the spectrum, plazas were hardly used). IIRC there was some controversy between building plazas and banks. Dwarves generally would build mines but for everyone else, it was a tossup. Bouise, I don't remember any sort of happiness mechanism but I could be wrong here - can you fill me in?

Guardstations increased defense, similar to forts (they didn't reduce attack gains, however).

Here's a few links that I have gathered:

http://web.archive.org/web/200107140...index_old.html

http://members.tripod.com/sir_bugoo/

http://dsp.ee.sun.ac.za/~jpool/Utopia/formulas.shtml

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Cavern/6149/

http://web.archive.org/web/199905081...p/military.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/199905081...elp/growth.htm

If anybody happens to have any old utilities, spreadsheets (elf province planner I had but I lost it ) etc lying around, please let me know.

I'm not sure I can keep track of who wants me to send private messages and such.. I'll continue to post here with screenshots, updates, and hopefully a public beta - I just finished coding in player registration (I think) so I am going to start alpha testing here shortly. I still have to add magic, thievery, and various other things to make this an actual game

Last edited by modulus, 21-Feb-2004 at 01:44.
View Public Profile Visit modulus's homepage Find more posts by modulus Add modulus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Feb-2004 at 02:20)
count me in to.
i want to see why half the utopians i know keep raving bout the old ages

Show them no mercy, for they shall show you none.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Kyran Add Lord Kyran to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Dash ASY)
(User is Banned)
(21-Feb-2004 at 02:20)

Holy shit. Nice. Keep us posted and send me a pm when your done.

---
OoZ

We own the night.
View Public Profile Find more posts by DaFoursh Add DaFoursh to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Tuba No5)
(21-Feb-2004 at 03:22)

you forgott about the boats! Those nullified the two days extra time for off island attacks. If you complete this game, will you include them??
View Public Profile Find more posts by Demortor Add Demortor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Feb-2004 at 03:26)

oooh i'm interested also I played one of the old ages, but quit cause didn't understand it than
View Public Profile Find more posts by Cataclysm2129 Add Cataclysm2129 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $3.78
(21-Feb-2004 at 03:29)

Quote:
As has been established a thousand times, as long as he isn't profiting it cannot break copyright laws. If you have ads on your site you might well be liable to prosecution but I highly doubt it unless you personally get any money in your pocket from the idea.
your wrong there, being it doesnt mean i can buy one game, and give it away free, that it isnt against copy right laws.

it's if you copy something someone else owns the rights to, without there permission to use it.

it's as simple as this, you cannot take utopia temple and make another site called utopia temple2 without ads, and not be breaking coptright laws...

_\|/_
~"."~
~|___|~
_||_
View Public Profile Find more posts by Eagles037 Add Eagles037 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Feb-2004 at 03:32)
Quote:
you forgott about the boats! Those nullified the two days extra time for off island attacks. If you complete this game, will you include them??
I didn't forget them, they're there

I'm pretty sure they were required - didn't nullify the extra 2 days, they were required if u wanted to send off island period, unless you were an avian.
(21-Feb-2004 at 06:53)
Quote:
(Originally posted by Eagles037)

your wrong there, being it doesnt mean i can buy one game, and give it away free, that it isnt against copy right laws.

it's if you copy something someone else owns the rights to, without there permission to use it.

it's as simple as this, you cannot take utopia temple and make another site called utopia temple2 without ads, and not be breaking coptright laws...
Actually, I'm right. You're perfectly within your right to buy a game and give it away free. How else would gifts be legal? The illegality is if you try and copy a disc - which is illegal. Whether or not internet sites are covered by copyright laws is up in the air - the online nature of the internet makes it hard to prosecute or even decide who's jurisdiction it is. Most people who code sites on the internet accept that since every browser has a 'view source' option they are constantly sending their work to thousands of people.

FYI IRL laws generally state that you cannot use copyrighted materials in a way which deprives the sopyright owner of profit. Essentially, I can reproduce the Star Wars logo on every little doodle I do but I can't draw it on shoddy Star Wars memoribilia because I am profiting directly from the use of a copyright.

Actually, I could probably get away with copying the source code for Utopia Temple and place it on another server without ads (if I could convince someone to host it and provide bandwidth.) Legally, I am not in the wrong because I don't profit so I can't be prosecuted (even if internet source code was deemed copyright material.) The reason this doesn't happen every day is because I have nothing to gain - UT like most online resources operates at a huge cost of bandwidth and doesn't make a profit even with various ads. If I removed those ads to comply with what may or may not be the law I will be running a huge loss (if anyone even chooses to come to my sip-off.) Finally, we all know the real value of UT is in the content - the news updates, Angel and the community. Unless I can have news monkeys copying UT constantly I won't have those, and I wouldn't have the others (Angel is freely distributed anyway and is supported by the in-built ads.) If I can host Angel, create a sense of community and constantly update the news what I have is a completely different site anyway and the presence or not of UT code is irrelevant.

I hope this is considered on-topic since I think it started with a discussion on this game...

Thumbs up anyway. I'll help in any way I can (except legal advice ... sheesh.)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nucampe Add Nucampe to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Feb-2004 at 08:04)
Reckener (##:##) as of March 15th, YR12.
Race Dwarf Ruler King Braja Rexya
Land 10,089 Acres
Peasants 66,792
Employed 100%
Money 209gc
Food 756,416 bushels
Runes 494,831 runes
Networth 1,675,623gc
Soldiers 15,613
Axemen 3
Archers 32,605
Berserkers 65,014
Thieves 34,300 (100%)
Wizards 3206 (99%)
Boats 376
Total defence points 503512
Total offence points 405706
Defence points per Acre: 50351
Offence points per Acre: 40570
Max amount of Thives: 70034
Max Thives ratio: 7003
Wizards ratio: 320.

Boats gave us iNAPs and Avians as you see I had 376 boats limiting me to island attacks.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nebs Add Nebs to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Raptos)
(21-Feb-2004 at 08:37)
BOATS NEVER EXISTED!!!

(quit letting the vet's secret loose!!!)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Keeting Swirve Add Keeting Swirve to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as That Aurora guy)
(User is Banned)
Donated $2.40
(21-Feb-2004 at 20:12)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Raptos)

BOATS NEVER EXISTED!!!
Is that a VO?

Anyway, inform us when we can join, can't wait!

Dutch World Domination is inevitable...
Mail the Dutchie! | #LA IRC quotes on Lashback.org ! |Sossy's Boards !
U N D U T C H A B L E
The EvulurustestBlackAurora
View Public Profile Find more posts by TheNotoriousBA Add TheNotoriousBA to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Feb-2004 at 20:19)
yer pm me when its up...u hear all the old players saying how good it was and i wanna see for myself!
View Public Profile Find more posts by qwertyu Add qwertyu to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2004 at 00:05)
It was constant attacking, you declared war and it was war. There was no need to explore because even the small provinces could make big attacks.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nebs Add Nebs to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2004 at 00:22)

when I joined utopia, the boats were gone..gonna try this out

ineser the Imperial
Cyber/Furious Angel[Part of Raging Angels IV-VII]
View Public Profile Find more posts by ineser Add ineser to your Buddy List Reply with Quote