Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Discussions > Utopia Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(Posted as tsachi)
Donated $0.56
(22-Feb-2004 at 02:18)

cool links, but it looks too much like utopia, change it a bit, anyway, if I'll have any questions or comments, should I write them in here, or will you open a forum just for that?
is there a URL already?
and we can click on some ads if that'll help you

Last edited by Tsachi, 22-Feb-2004 at 02:19.
View Public Profile Visit Tsachi's homepage Find more posts by Tsachi Add Tsachi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as XxXFaithlessXxX)
(22-Feb-2004 at 02:59)

Could be cool to play the older ages. Count me in.
View Public Profile Visit ShaggySnacks's homepage Find more posts by ShaggySnacks Add ShaggySnacks to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $5.16
(22-Feb-2004 at 03:06)

Cool, finally one could be avian and pwn everyone again =)

For those who didnt play then... Avians fly, they dont need boats ^^

A mind is like a parachute - it only works if open.
View Public Profile Visit Tiny Tim's homepage Find more posts by Tiny Tim Add Tiny Tim to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2004 at 04:15)
I dug up some utilites a few months back for someone else, or maybe it was you.... but anyways I have the utility programs dating from the good ages 3 through 7 (beta,1st and 2nd age we had to use paper and calculator and then a website :P )

I've got vipes echelon utopian assistant to helgons UU to ucbf037 beta.

good times
good times
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nebs Add Nebs to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2004 at 19:27)
If you have any questions, sure, post them here. I don't have a website, FAQ, or anything else yet.

Nebs, yes, those programs were for me. Very helpful too, thanks again

Tim, Avian *really* were tough in age 4 when they didn't require food OR boats!

I'm looking for some people to design artwork to help avoid any intellectual property issues with Swirve. If anyone is skilled in this area, please send me a message or email me - itsuneek[at]postmaster.co.uk

Please note that there may be other intellectual property issues so I might have to take the game down - not sure, will play it by ear, and will be trying to appease Swirve

However, it looks like I will be able to (tentatively) continue with the project so I'll hopefully have a beta running in 6 weeks or so.
View Public Profile Visit modulus's homepage Find more posts by modulus Add modulus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Asmodeus ADF)
(22-Feb-2004 at 20:59)

will your 'age 3' have the same duration as a normal utopian age?

Because I don't think you're doing it for just three months fun...

Are we gonna replay famous ages?
After this age 3 we play age 10 etc...

Count me in. I can do some artwork if you want, you have MSN?

just add me:
[email protected]

Diplomat of the Shrine of Secrecy Alliance xXxXxXx Proud to be Anti-Bush!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Asmodeus SoS Add Asmodeus SoS to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2004 at 21:20)

Joined late(2 or 3 ages before they took out that you want to be undead you need to be killed first) and hear everyone say the old ages were the best Count me in

-"Just who do you think he is? God?"
-"No, god would have mercy, he won't"
View Public Profile Find more posts by The Chaos Add The Chaos to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2004 at 22:18)
Quote:
will your 'age 3' have the same duration as a normal utopian age?

Because I don't think you're doing it for just three months fun...

Are we gonna replay famous ages?
After this age 3 we play age 10 etc...
Initially, the tick speed of the game will be adjusted to better suit testing. For example, I might run a 5 minute tick game. At 1 hour per tick Utopia runs for about 90 days (2160 ticks, roughly). So at 5 minutes a tick, the same # of ticks will take about 7.5 days to complete. This speeds up testing drastically, although the tick duration will eventually increase to 1 hour (normal speed).

About replaying other ages -- very good question and I've given this some thought. The legal issues are the real sticky, and I'm not fully confident I will be able to run this game without encountering any. One can always get more bandwidth, more servers, more programmers, etc. Hosting issues are tough because of the expense, but bottom line is that if enough people want something, someone will find a way to do it. On the other hand, Swirve's intellectual property rights aren't commodities: Swirve must protect them. It's not a question of wanting to - if Swirve doesn't protect those rights, then they lose them. So I'm concentrating on what I have available right now, hopefully not getting shut down in the process. I'm willing to explore other ages, but I havn't reached that particular bridge yet.
View Public Profile Visit modulus's homepage Find more posts by modulus Add modulus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2004 at 22:32)
Asmodeus - I added you to MSN but you're offline right now.. I'm 'itsuneek[at]hotmail.com'
Donated $3.78
(22-Feb-2004 at 22:33)

did you even ask for the right to replay a utopian age?

try and get permission, and then see what happends

_\|/_
~"."~
~|___|~
_||_
View Public Profile Find more posts by Eagles037 Add Eagles037 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2004 at 22:42)
I did email Swirve about it and Mehul sent me a reply. I am confident that Swirve won't look for any reasons to shut me down - I am trying to not give them any Sort of a 'we don't want to, don't make us have to' type of thing.

But really, the purpose of the whole project is to replay age 3 - period. Yes, I could make a new game - that's not what I want. With any luck, if there *are* any issues, Swirve will step in and run an age 3 of their own... that would make me just as happy but I'm not sure they want to tackle that ... who knows.

Last edited by modulus, 22-Feb-2004 at 22:43.
(23-Feb-2004 at 00:14)
Well Modulus, I always wondered if you did anything, very impressed to see you've been working on it.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nebs Add Nebs to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Feb-2004 at 02:12)
Thanks

I spent a lot of time just doing research! But I think that I have reproduced age 3 nearly exactly! The spells and thievery will be much tougher and will take a bit more effort to get working in age 3 fashion.. I don't think I can make this game an exact reproduction but I can be very close
(23-Feb-2004 at 02:21)

Looks really good, count me in. I definetely hope you can get this up and running.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Plagued Templar Add Plagued Templar to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Feb-2004 at 04:02)
Just make sure the daily land bonus is there :P
(23-Feb-2004 at 20:01)
eek I forgot about that!

What was it? 10 acres or something?

Was there a gold bonus?
(23-Feb-2004 at 20:47)
It used to be just 5 acres in like age 6 or so and i think it had gold as well but i don't know the exact numbers.

Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.
I love vegetarians, they're very tasty.
I'd give you the finger, but it's in my nose.
View Public Profile Find more posts by bouise Add bouise to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Feb-2004 at 21:34)
there was also no page in age 3

View Public Profile Find more posts by bouise Add bouise to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Feb-2004 at 22:18)
no page? what?
(24-Feb-2004 at 00:49)
Nowadays the king can appoint someone to be a page and all they can do is clean the forums. In age 3 that was nonexistant but he put it in not too many ages after that because of simple demand.