Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Media Mania > Books Reviews and Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average
(12-Apr-2007 at 18:50)

The Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett

Discworld is a comedic fantasy book series by the British author Terry Pratchett set on the Discworld, a flat world balanced on the backs of four elephants which are in turn standing on the back of a giant turtle, the Great A'Tuin. The books frequently parody or at least borrow ideas from J. R. R. Tolkien, Robert E. Howard, H. P. Lovecraft, and William Shakespeare, as well as myth, folklore and fairy tales, often using them for satirical parallels with current cultural, technological and scientific issues.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld

http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/

Possibly one of the greatest book serie ever written.Sometimes i think it's even better then The Wheel of Time.But only sometimes.
I just love it.Especially the Rincewind and Death books

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Apr-2007 at 18:53)

I can't say anything about this since I've never read it, but I am definitely going to try and find an audio version of it. Heard so much about this, very interested!
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Apr-2007 at 18:57)

Audio?That will spoil it.It's so much better to read it.If you don't want to give money you can probably download it from the net.Plenty of e-books

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Apr-2007 at 19:58)

I'm a big fan of audiobooks and listening to lectures. I can always read it too if it seems good enough

Btw, I already found a torrent of all the books (or so it claims) and downloading. Probably won't have time to listen to it until the summer though (need to study Judaism first).

Last edited by Apeiron, 12-Apr-2007 at 19:59.
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Apr-2007 at 06:20)

Wel if you ever decide you want to read them i can e-mail you a few of them

Donated $6.28
(19-Apr-2007 at 23:00)

I think the series has peaked and is now going downhill.

Pratchett has shifted from satire and is now trying to write much more serious social commentary, which I find much less amusing.

My favourite is definitely 'The Last Continent' probably because I am australian...

My Band
How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb?
5. One to change it, and the other 4 to hold the guitarists back who are trying to hog the light.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Zelun Add Zelun to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Apr-2007 at 10:01)
Oh god I just love Rincewind ^^ Probably my favorite English series!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Coolland Add Coolland to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(06-May-2007 at 19:32)

My sister has just about all the books, and she's tried to get me to read them. Now that WoT is going to take a while, I think I might just start, as soon as I get my hands on the books. No audio-books for me.

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Aug-2007 at 07:35)

I've read a few books in the Discworld series.... VERY FUNNY STUFF. But I never after I finished a book in the series I realized that it wasn't that great, just really funny.

Is there a certain order that these books should be read in? I picked a few off the shelves at random and just read them.

“For the tyrant has the power to inflict only that which we lack the strength to resist,” Krishnalal Shridharani.
View Public Profile Visit Titanictus's homepage Find more posts by Titanictus Add Titanictus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Eldarad)
Donated $9.01
(20-Aug-2007 at 22:10)

Re: Terry Pratchett - The Discworld Series (1983 - Present)

Originally Posted by Zelun: View Post
I think the series has peaked and is now going downhill.

Pratchett has shifted from satire and is now trying to write much more serious social commentary, which I find much less amusing.

My favourite is definitely 'The Last Continent' probably because I am australian...
You mean you're an XXXXan, right?

Some of the later books have had a serious theme that just happen to be in the Discworld setting (I think Jingo was the first to do that) but that doesn't make them any less good.

You only have power over people as long as you don't take everything from them.
But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he is free again.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Adderla Add Adderla to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Aug-2007 at 13:45)
Great books, the only ones I'm not so keen on are the ones with the Witches.

The Night Watch, Rincewind and Death are all much better.
View Public Profile Find more posts by The Killer Add The Killer to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Aug-2007 at 22:04)

Well I'm a serious Pratchett fan (just signed up to host a discworld mafia).
Favourite book is definently Theif of Time, just cause its probably the funniest one I've read. I have to agree, not too keen on the witches, but they have their place.

Spectre: I'm cold
Me:*Sends picture of tits* That should warm you up gap Spectre: Only a small region
Me: Or maybe this *Sends picture of couple screwing* gap Spectre: the rest of me is still cold
AMYQ: small huh???
View Public Profile Find more posts by palmtree Add palmtree to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Aug-2007 at 22:56)
Ah yes, Thief of Time. The last one that I read. Brilliant!

Always remember Rule 1! Never trust smiling wrinkly old men!

EDIT: And can you put me down for the Diskworld Mafia straight away palm cause I'll be in on that without a doubt

Last edited by The Killer, 23-Aug-2007 at 22:57.
View Public Profile Find more posts by The Killer Add The Killer to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Aug-2007 at 23:54)

No worries there, but I won't get it till round about christmas (2008). Just love Lu-Tze. If someone kills him in my game.... Grrr.

But seriously, there are alot of books. He's pretty prolific, and everytime I go to a book store (not that often) he seems to have another. Thought Going Postal was pretty reasonable, a move away from the real world (All about companies, but he's got to talk about something)

Me:*Sends picture of tits* That should warm you up gap Spectre: Only a small region
Me: Or maybe this *Sends picture of couple screwing* gap Spectre: the rest of me is still cold
View Public Profile Find more posts by palmtree Add palmtree to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $1.20
(01-Oct-2007 at 10:56)

My favourite so far has to be Interesting Times, and Ive read ALOT of his books.. but that one is no doubt the best
Also, I hope everyone has seen the Hogfather movie.. Brilliant, just brilliant I tell you

"If guns kill people...Can I blame mispelled words on my pencil?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mad Morgan Add Mad Morgan to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Eldarad)
Donated $9.01
(01-Oct-2007 at 11:15)

Re: Terry Pratchett - The Discworld Series (1983 - Present)

Originally Posted by Mad Morgan:
Also, I hope everyone has seen the Hogfather movie.. Brilliant, just brilliant I tell you
I saw the Hogfather, but thought it was annoying, because I kept remembering the funny bits that had been left out of the film.
Didn't like the film at all.

You only have power over people as long as you don't take everything from them.
But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he is free again.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Adderla Add Adderla to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Oct-2007 at 14:17)

they have amovie for it. Damn being in N.Z, always miss important things like this. But I agree with turning books into movies, sometimes it just doesn't work. LoTR was good, but the cut chapters annoyed the hell out of me, and I hated the Harry Potter movies with a passion (I still maintain Harry Potter boy can't act).

Yeah, read interesting times, still like theif of time more. Plus it stands alone so I lend my copy round to introduce people to the series. One guy, it was the first book he has ever read independently apart from what is required for school. I was suprised when he told me "what do you mean the first book you've ever read?"