Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Media Mania > Books Reviews and Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average
Donated $4.24
(12-Apr-2007 at 05:29)

To be honest, I never liked The Hobbit. Maybe because we had to read the novel at school for the English component of "Novel Study", however, I never really got into it. Needless to say, I got a C+ for that part of the assessment.
I only got up to the bit where Bilbo meets Gollum.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege!
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - The Fear of Long Words
View Public Profile Find more posts by Alexstrasza Add Alexstrasza to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Apr-2007 at 13:53)

Of course my summary at the opening of this thread is much better than anything you'll find elsewhere, but for the sake of consistency between threads:

External Links
Wikipedia
SparkNotes
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $4.64
(13-Apr-2007 at 05:17)

Re: J. R. R. Tolkien - The Hobbit (1937)

Originally Posted by Alexstrasza: View Post
To be honest, I never liked The Hobbit. Maybe because we had to read the novel at school for the English component of "Novel Study", however, I never really got into it. Needless to say, I got a C+ for that part of the assessment.
I only got up to the bit where Bilbo meets Gollum.
I had to study it in Year 7 too, but I can't for the life of me remember if we were ever tested on it o_O. I think we had to draw our own map of Middle-Earth (within The Hobbit) which everyone just copied from the front of the book anyway.
View Public Profile Find more posts by CloudHeartsMeli Add CloudHeartsMeli to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(16-Apr-2007 at 14:42)

I honestly loved this book. It was funny, smart and exciting. I have read it about 3 times I think and I can't get enough of it

2012 <--- GOOGLE BOMB IT.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sabbie Add Sabbie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(16-Apr-2007 at 16:52)

I love this book. I've read it twice and was going to do it again but since I moved most the family books are in the building basement and couldn't find it. The pace is awesome. I think I could read in just one go if I try (being short helps a lot but if a books hasn't a good pace you can't do that).
Quote:
Read this three times I think, and I have to say I acknowledged it as a children's book the first time.. It seems like something grandpa could have read to me while I was sitting on his lap as a six year old, don't you agree?
I was going to say something like that. I felt something like when I finished it the first time.

1000 rep points...eeh I mean 296
Mods will never find me ^^ That's what you think *gasp* they're everywhere I wonder which one of the new mods will come here first...
View Public Profile Find more posts by demi Add demi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(16-Apr-2007 at 18:25)

The pace is high indeed. I have finished the book in one go multiple times. During travels for example.
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Jun-2007 at 19:40)

Reading the Hobbit for the first time.
Never knew that Smaug could talk. O_O

If all else fails, call someone a troll.
that can be fixed... / Ć

Last edited by Valek, 24-Jul-2007 at 21:41.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Greeney Add Greeney to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as DeRnhelm)
Donated $11.54
(23-Jul-2007 at 22:31)

Originally Posted by Greeney: View Post
Reading the Hobbit for the first time.
Never knew that Smaug could talk. O_O
Spoiler Greeney :P

~ĐeRn~
BTW: You Are All Buffle Headed
View Public Profile Find more posts by DeRn HaLL Add DeRn HaLL to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Nov-2007 at 05:46)

good book but overrated.

Last Member of the Church of Valek
-------------------------------------
Insert something witty here.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -John Paul Jones
View Public Profile Visit Dead Canaanite's homepage Find more posts by Dead Canaanite Add Dead Canaanite to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Apr-2008 at 02:11)

Originally Posted by Dead Canaanite: View Post
good book but overrated.

I disagree. It gets overshadowed by the lord of the rings trilogy because those books are better. Why this book isn't overrated is because it was so far ahead of its time. In 1937 you had authors like Fitzgerald. Boring authors. Nothing exciting to read. When people talk about the book that started the fantasy genre they talk about the hobbit. Even though it wasn't popular at first it caught on and now you have a whole section in the bookstore dedicated to its descendants. I am glad to say that this was one of the first fantasy novels I ever read and its even on par with the fantasy books being written today. I don't know how else to say it but this book was ahead of its time and definately underrated because people compare it to stuff that was written yesterday.
View Public Profile Visit morticianjohn's homepage Find more posts by morticianjohn Add morticianjohn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-May-2008 at 21:05)

I actually think the other LOTR's are worse than the Hobbit... heh, and I'm a big Fitzgerald fan.

Last Member of the Church of Valek
-------------------------------------
Insert something witty here.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -John Paul Jones
View Public Profile Visit Dead Canaanite's homepage Find more posts by Dead Canaanite Add Dead Canaanite to your Buddy List Reply with Quote